Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

KPN

The Haeber process has had the N covered for a while now. Collecting bones and the like could theoretically take care of the P pretty effectively. I'm not holding my breath on that one, but I'll just give it to you for shits and giggles. What about the K? Industrial sources of P are dwindling at a much faster rate and will realistically be the huge clusterfuck that causes a paradigm shift. But what solutions exist for K? I know it can be a byproduct of nuclear fission but I'm not sure we want to be using radioactive fertilizer.

Potassium from seawater is no great challenge, and the only reason it isn't done now is because more concentrated mineral sources are still cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

420DD Butts posted:

The bright side is if pro-fracking groups keep running poo poo like this it will ensure that fracking never catches on in the Front Range.

Depending on your definition of the front range (how far east you count), they've been doing it since the 1950s. When you get to area's like Boulder, there tends to not be as much because of proximity to the mountains causing most of the reservoirs to outcrop or be fractured enough that they leaked the oil and gas to the surface a long time ago. I really don't understand why the oil industry has to play comical villain and make commercials like those, when there are reasonable arguments and mitigation efforts that can be made with very little cost.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Oil! posted:

Depending on your definition of the front range (how far east you count), they've been doing it since the 1950s. When you get to area's like Boulder, there tends to not be as much because of proximity to the mountains causing most of the reservoirs to outcrop or be fractured enough that they leaked the oil and gas to the surface a long time ago. I really don't understand why the oil industry has to play comical villain and make commercials like those, when there are reasonable arguments and mitigation efforts that can be made with very little cost.

I was more thinking Denver on up to Fort Collins. Not really thinking about Weld County specifically, considering that place is a poo poo hole.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 22, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

420DD Butts posted:

I was more thinking Denver on up to Fort Collins. Not really thinking about Weld County specifically, considering that place is a poo poo hole.

The normal natural gas industry is hardly less water/air polluting.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Nintendo Kid posted:

The normal natural gas industry is hardly less water/air polluting.

I actually had a conversation with a scientist who does the air quality standards for NOAA somewhat recently, and his researched opinion was that due to the benzene and toluene (BTX mixtures) used in hydraulic fracking that it was particularly dangerous when it occurs near human habitation. Carcinogens in the air and all of that. He did also rant about a study he did which showed that the average spillage in oil fields was around 7% just from pulling it out of the ground so there's that, I guess. That said, I'd rather no oil/gas operations occur anywhere near cities (or really anywhere that is at all ecologically sensitive).

Or anywhere at all for that matter.

And just to add something of a similar bent: This is a study that I assume was probably done at one of the air quality stations in the same area. Not a fan of natural gas at all, me.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 22, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The thing is that the industry also uses basically the same fluids to inject into "normal" natural gas deposits and practices the same sloppy things that end up with it spilling all over the place, and lots of natural gas pockets are naturally linked to the water table.

The main thing fracking has done is to end up with a lot more natural gas stuff beign done around wealthier and more populated areas, meaning increased notice is taken of pollution as a result (especially since poorer and more rural areas often have populations unable to make themselves heard).

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
This is entirely possible, the atmospheric scientist that I talked to just seemed to be particularly hung up on fracking when we spoke. I wish I would have had more time to talk to him, he apparently had done quite a bit of research into how often and in to what degree spillages occured in the oil/gas industry. Essentially, the thesis I came away with is that none of the fossil fuel industries are actually "clean" or "safe" especially in the context of human habitation. I do see your point about wealthier areas, though, as a lot of the push back on fracking here has been in places like Fort Collins, Longmont, and Boulder which aren't exactly poor or rural communities.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Sir Tonk posted:

Since Ferguson thread seems to be busy arguing about the merits of communism, these are going here. They're very very good and worth hearing if you don't normally catch Ashbrook.

Two episodes of On Point from this week. First, on race and Ferguson:

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/08/20/ferguson-michael-brown-update-race-class

And second, on police militarization.

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/08/19/police-force-military-ferguson-shooting-michael-brown

I don't know how many of y'all have been listening to NPR's shows with callers lately, but I swear that every single time they discuss the police in any way other than worshiping them, a cop will inevitable call in and get all :qq: about how every citizen is a potential arms dealer and that we should be glad they haven't just killed us all. Happens again on that second one, although Ashbrook handles it quite well. Dude is very disarming, like Diane Rehm.

On Point is easily my favorite NPR program, and one of the reasons my wife and I scrape cash together to donate to WBUR; Tom Ashbrook is a really, really good host. Scary smart, too.

Also, it's amazing how, when you listen to him for a long while, you learn to tell the difference between how Tom cuts off a caller because of time or how he cuts them off because they're crazy and/or stupid. It's a very, very subtle difference, is what makes it so interesting.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

420DD Butts posted:

I actually had a conversation with a scientist who does the air quality standards for NOAA somewhat recently, and his researched opinion was that due to the benzene and toluene (BTX mixtures) used in hydraulic fracking that it was particularly dangerous when it occurs near human habitation. Carcinogens in the air and all of that. He did also rant about a study he did which showed that the average spillage in oil fields was around 7% just from pulling it out of the ground so there's that, I guess. That said, I'd rather no oil/gas operations occur anywhere near cities (or really anywhere that is at all ecologically sensitive).

Or anywhere at all for that matter.

And just to add something of a similar bent: This is a study that I assume was probably done at one of the air quality stations in the same area. Not a fan of natural gas at all, me.

As far as BTEX goes, Benzene and Toluene are commonly used as surfactants in slickwater completions (in the range of 100s to 1000s of gallons), but the amount used is extremely minor compared to produced volumes (which are all <1%, but add up when you consider total production). The air concentrations are required to be monitored on all wells because of their carcinogenic properties and are highly susceptible to leaking equipment near the wellhead.

The high emissions/losses study from the link has actually been addressed by industry several years prior, but only codified into law around the time it was released. Venting/flaring was/is (depending on area) the standard way to dispose of gas during post-frac flowback, but equipment exists and is now required to be used in Colorado to collect that gas and send it down the pipeline instead of burning it at the wellhead. A lot of companies refused to do it (Jonah field is the perfect example) because it costs a lot of money up front and if you are drilling a ton of vertical wells and bringing them on quickly, makes it difficult to move the equipment from well to well. In the long run, it ends up making the operator money because they get to sell that amount of gas they would have been flaring, but that is several wells down the line and some people don't like to think that far.

Fun fact for global warming though: a lot of oil/gas fields produce carbon dioxide naturally in the gas stream and it has to be removed (anywhere from 0.1-20% of the gas stream). Because the cost to compress that gas is so high, it is mainly vented into the atmosphere and we instead drill into high CO2 gas fields that can deliver it to oil fields without compression for enhanced oil recovery.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Fun fact about toluene: when inhaled in sufficient quantities it has a similar effect to being high on opiates.

I spilled about two liters of it mixed with water on myself once. Couldn't walk straight for half an hour, solvents are fun!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Obama is golfing again, which is rally starting to piss me off.

Not because I think it keeps him from doing his job. But the thing is, everything he does, he is going to be endlessly criticized by the right wing and by the media. And it is so clear in every non action he takes he is absolutely paralyzed by this fear, bending over backwards to avoid offending someone on policy after policy, refusing to say anything more than milquetoast on race, etc.

But golf, of all things, is the one thing where he doesn't give a poo poo about appeasing critics. Out of every issue in the nation where he shouldn't be apologetic and chickens out every time, he chose this as his last stand. An elitist, environmentally awful, frustrating as gently caress sport for rich assholes that most of his base will never play.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Golf's a great excuse to hang out with other important people to discuss important topics. Though the right wing knee jerk machine doesn't care and probably are just pissed that there's a black man on the course.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DemeaninDemon posted:

Golf's a great excuse to hang out with other important people to discuss important topics. Though the right wing knee jerk machine doesn't care and probably are just pissed that there's a black man on the course.

And hell, you know in the same situation most people here would just be downing liquor bottles.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The 'most NPR' show in recent memory was when Brian Lehrer did a segment on 'ambivalence' and people called in with things they were ambivalent about (and predictably a couple callers just called in to complain/didn't know what ambivalent meant)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

greatn posted:

Obama is golfing again, which is rally starting to piss me off.

Not because I think it keeps him from doing his job. But the thing is, everything he does, he is going to be endlessly criticized by the right wing and by the media. And it is so clear in every non action he takes he is absolutely paralyzed by this fear, bending over backwards to avoid offending someone on policy after policy, refusing to say anything more than milquetoast on race, etc.

But golf, of all things, is the one thing where he doesn't give a poo poo about appeasing critics. Out of every issue in the nation where he shouldn't be apologetic and chickens out every time, he chose this as his last stand. An elitist, environmentally awful, frustrating as gently caress sport for rich assholes that most of his base will never play.

"I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrorist killers. Thank you. Now watch this drive."

-Barack Obama, 2014

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Not satisfied with fleecing the rubes, Sarah Palin thinks she deserves a cut of whatever Tina Fey made after her first impression of the half-term, half-wit governor.

quote:

In a new edition of the book Live From New York by Tom Shales and James Miller, Palin says Fey might owe her one.

"You need to at least pay for my kids' braces or something from all the money that you made off of pretending that you're me! My goodness, you capitalized on that," Palin said she would tell the "30 Rock" actress if she encountered her today, according to a book excerpt published in the Hollywood Reporter. "Can't you contribute a little bit? Jeez!"

Also, the only reason she went on SNL was because she hated what Fey did! And SNL is stupid anyway!

quote:

"I think SNL is egotistical if they believe that it was truly an effect on maybe the public debate about who should lead the country in the next four years," Palin told the book's authors, adding that she appeared on the show to counter the implications of Fey's impression.

"I know that they portrayed me as an idiot, and I hated that," she said.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
So which is it? Is SNL a show with no social impact that no one cares about or was it a successful operation that was so influential you were forced to appear on it to counter what they were doing? She's literally contradicting herself. The conservative tendency to insult certain mass media in order to pretend there's some kind of silent majority is so strong that it interferes with her making the point she set out to make in the first place. It's stunning.

Her instinct that she should have gotten paid off to be made fun of as a public figure is also hilarious.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 22, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sarah Palin posted:

I know that they portrayed me as an idiot, and I hated that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-OCDexYrU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ErIog posted:

So which is it? Is SNL a show with no social impact that no one cares about or was it a successful operation that was so influential you were forced to appear on it to counter what they were doing? She's literally contradicting herself. The conservative tendency to insult certain mass media in order to pretend there's some kind of silent majority is so strong that it interferes with her making the point she set out to make in the first place. It's stunning.

Her instinct that she should have gotten paid off to be made fun of as a public figure is also hilarious.

NEVAR FORGET

Despatcher
Nov 26, 2007
Generously Syndromed

greatn posted:

An elitist, environmentally awful, frustrating as gently caress sport for rich assholes that most of his base will never play.

:psyduck:

That is some serious assumption about his base. If Obama was out playing polo every weekend I might understand what you mean, but golf? Really? What is acceptable downtime for you? Bowling? Darts? Ping Pong?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Despatcher posted:

:psyduck:

That is some serious assumption about his base. If Obama was out playing polo every weekend I might understand what you mean, but golf? Really? What is acceptable downtime for you? Bowling? Darts? Ping Pong?

Like I said earlier, bourbon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He plays basketball all the time too but of course the cartoonists go with golf.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's (Facebook link) Paul Ryan pouring ice water over Mitt Romney's head.

"Ha ha. That is cold!"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

"Ha ha. That is cold!"
Of course he's in a suit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

Of course he's in a suit.

:thejoke:

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Joementum posted:

"Ha ha. That is cold!"

Dear Mitt, please run again.

Love,
Sub Par

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Golf sure is an elite sport what with public golf courses that you can rent clubs at everywhere. What is this, 1920?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Joementum posted:

"Ha ha. That is cold!"

I thought you'd go with "Water. Wet. Cold."

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Wonder why he nominated Jason Sudeikis.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mons Hubris posted:

Wonder why he nominated Jason Sudeikis.

Jason played Mitt on SNL.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

:stare:

Holy poo poo. While watching the first part, I honestly did not expect the second bit to mirror it almost word for word.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

richardfun posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo. While watching the first part, I honestly did not expect the second bit to mirror it almost word for word.

And that's remarkably lucid for her. Either one.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
So the Montana Democrats nominated a wobbly to replace a guy that was found to be plaigerizing? :getin:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=amanda+curtis&tbm=nws

A bold move to be sure, but republicans are going to paint her as the next Robespierre. Republicans are already throwing a loving shitfit.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

420DD Butts posted:

This is entirely possible, the atmospheric scientist that I talked to just seemed to be particularly hung up on fracking when we spoke. I wish I would have had more time to talk to him, he apparently had done quite a bit of research into how often and in to what degree spillages occured in the oil/gas industry. Essentially, the thesis I came away with is that none of the fossil fuel industries are actually "clean" or "safe" especially in the context of human habitation. I do see your point about wealthier areas, though, as a lot of the push back on fracking here has been in places like Fort Collins, Longmont, and Boulder which aren't exactly poor or rural communities.

Per my boss, paraphrased:

"When we have a leak in our gas pipeline, it's not as bad. It'll just float up and disperse into the air. But we need a 5 minute response time on leaks in the oil pipe, because that just leaks to the ground, then people come out and take pictures, and then we get bad PR."

And thus, my group doesn't really worry about leak detection on the gas side as much as the oil side.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What size pipes do you manage?

Promise I don't sell anything other than NDT equipment I write software for

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Amergin posted:

Per my boss, paraphrased:

"When we have a leak in our gas pipeline, it's not as bad. It'll just float up and disperse into the air. But we need a 5 minute response time on leaks in the oil pipe, because that just leaks to the ground, then people come out and take pictures, and then we get bad PR."

And thus, my group doesn't really worry about leak detection on the gas side as much as the oil side.

You don't have a boss.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm kinda of curious why they don't show him playing basketball. Are they worried he'll look too athletic? Is it because he looks like a nerd in his golf duds?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm kinda of curious why they don't show him playing basketball. Are they worried he'll look too athletic? Is it because he looks like a nerd in his golf duds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjDqm-JHrA

Anyway, he and Michelle are being all elitist right now and "hiking".

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The "out of touch elite wasting hours while Rome burns" is more what they're going for. Everyone already knows he's black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Plus if they showed him playing basketball they wouldn't be able to keep from going full on blatant 1920's racist.

• Locked thread