Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I always feel terrible about killing Quallo's friend. And crap my party makeup just got messed with again - I can't take Minsc's new witch away from him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The Nameless One is kind of a mix of fighter and mage/thief because he keeps his best THAC0, his weapon proficiencies, and all his hp when he switches classes. He may even keep his attacks per round; I don't remember exactly. And the disadvantages of mages in most games--no armor and limited weapon choices--aren't in Torment because there is no armor and all the best weapons are usable by mages. All of this makes mage the most powerful class.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is there a specific level or strategy you need to defeat everyone on the fifth floor of the Iron Throne HQ?

At the moment, most of my party is at Lvl. 6. I try to start the fight by having Dynaheir by casting Haste on the party beforehand, and then cast an AOE spell (Fireball, Web, & Dispel Magic) when the fight begins. Web doesn't seem to work on everyone, and it seems like Dispel Magic has no effect, since the enemies can still cast spells. Regardless, the mages are still able to take out my party pretty quickly. One walkthrough I read said to send the other half of you party up via the other staircase, but I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I cheesed it by running up and down the stairs to break up the fight / divide and conquer.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I figure if anybody can answer this question, it'd be in this thread, so sorry for breaking away from the base of DnD a bit.

How the gently caress does The Dark Eye even work? I'm trying to go through Drakensang and am just staring at this poo poo in confusion.

Apparently I need high Willpower so I don't get Wounds, but I also need to keep leveling up my Swords? But does leveling up my Swords actually raise my damage, or just my chance to hit. Does it eventually cap out? Because I'm currently hitting pretty much everything at 10 Swords, even though I haven't put any points into that for awhile. And the two people in my party with 0 Willpower seem to get Wounds at about the same rate as Folgrimm/PC, even though they both have Willpower at 10-15ish.

Should I even be putting this many points in Swords/Willpower? I've been trying to keep them maxxed, while buying 1-2 perks with my extra ducats/exp every level or so, but I just realized my health/endurance aren't going up per level. Should I actually be attempting to raise my health/endurance per level, or even crazier be attempting to raise my attributes? The wording on all this stuff is so vague I'm not even sure what it does on a PnP level.

Hell, I'm not even sure what leveling up gets me, as my stats/health/endurance all seem to stay the same.

And that's just on my main character who I went Fighter with. Once I get all the perks I care about I imagine it'll be easy to boost Strength/Health every turn. I'm looking at Gladys who seems to be a Thief/Mage and am desperately trying to figure out how I'm supposed to buy her perks/new spells/get her higher ranks of lockpicking/boost her stats with the few leveling points I have to spend. And even with maxxed out lockpicking she can't seem to pick anything 9 times out of 10.

The spell list is even more confusing. "Raises SV for 1 turn.". Great, what the hell is SV! Is -2AV for 30 seconds good? What is RV?! Then you look at what you get for being higher level/leveling up the skill, and it starts talking about how it'll raise the SP by 1 per 1 RV per 1 per 5 levels, and it's just asking math of me without giving me the numbers to solve it.

Is there a good super newbie primer for this setting? Or is it basically if you weren't born German you're boned.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a specific level or strategy you need to defeat everyone on the fifth floor of the Iron Throne HQ?

At the moment, most of my party is at Lvl. 6. I try to start the fight by having Dynaheir by casting Haste on the party beforehand, and then cast an AOE spell (Fireball, Web, & Dispel Magic) when the fight begins. Web doesn't seem to work on everyone, and it seems like Dispel Magic has no effect, since the enemies can still cast spells. Regardless, the mages are still able to take out my party pretty quickly. One walkthrough I read said to send the other half of you party up via the other staircase, but I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

I think you misunderstand what Dispel Magic does - it doesn't prevent them from casting spells, it removes buffs etc. that are currently active. Regardless, that fight is hard as balls unless you cheese it. Try to make liberal use of spells such as Hold Person, Horror, Blindness and interrupt the spellcasters with magic missile or arrows.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

Rookersh posted:

I figure if anybody can answer this question, it'd be in this thread, so sorry for breaking away from the base of DnD a bit.

How the gently caress does The Dark Eye even work? I'm trying to go through Drakensang and am just staring at this poo poo in confusion.

Apparently I need high Willpower so I don't get Wounds, but I also need to keep leveling up my Swords? But does leveling up my Swords actually raise my damage, or just my chance to hit. Does it eventually cap out? Because I'm currently hitting pretty much everything at 10 Swords, even though I haven't put any points into that for awhile. And the two people in my party with 0 Willpower seem to get Wounds at about the same rate as Folgrimm/PC, even though they both have Willpower at 10-15ish.

Should I even be putting this many points in Swords/Willpower? I've been trying to keep them maxxed, while buying 1-2 perks with my extra ducats/exp every level or so, but I just realized my health/endurance aren't going up per level. Should I actually be attempting to raise my health/endurance per level, or even crazier be attempting to raise my attributes? The wording on all this stuff is so vague I'm not even sure what it does on a PnP level.

Hell, I'm not even sure what leveling up gets me, as my stats/health/endurance all seem to stay the same.

And that's just on my main character who I went Fighter with. Once I get all the perks I care about I imagine it'll be easy to boost Strength/Health every turn. I'm looking at Gladys who seems to be a Thief/Mage and am desperately trying to figure out how I'm supposed to buy her perks/new spells/get her higher ranks of lockpicking/boost her stats with the few leveling points I have to spend. And even with maxxed out lockpicking she can't seem to pick anything 9 times out of 10.

The spell list is even more confusing. "Raises SV for 1 turn.". Great, what the hell is SV! Is -2AV for 30 seconds good? What is RV?! Then you look at what you get for being higher level/leveling up the skill, and it starts talking about how it'll raise the SP by 1 per 1 RV per 1 per 5 levels, and it's just asking math of me without giving me the numbers to solve it.

Is there a good super newbie primer for this setting? Or is it basically if you weren't born German you're boned.

I am not familiar with the system so I cannot clear anything up but maybe this wiki might help you http://en.drakensang.wikia.com/wiki/Drakensang_English_Wiki

After some browsing it seems that Germans like splitting everything between as many attributes and skills as humanly possible and using a lot of unexplained abbreviations. Just be happy that "The developers have optimized the rulebook specially for the PC realization in order to make the game more accessible."

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Use Fear, that will take out half of them pretty reliably. You should have some wands of fireball by then as well - hold your party back and nuke the center of the room.

Honestly in BG and BG2 I find spells like Web and Entangle to be more a hindrance than a help.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
That fight is one of the places it's recommended to bust out a precious Protection From Magic scroll or two.

Otherwise, it's a matter of buffing to the gills before you go up. Haste, Remove Fear, and Protection from Fire (especially if you then start lobbing Potions of Explosion or beads from the Necklace of Missiles) are especially good ones to have.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Drakensang really doesn't like explaining things to you, and it's a bitch and a half to get a working character out of that game. That said, leveling up pretty much just raises the cap on your skills. Once you've reached that cap, start saving XP for the attributes that are relevant to your skills. Those should show up either as a tooltip, or when you right-click on a skill.

Incidentally, I had some of the same issues, and got some help over in this thread.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Chris, how do you defeat the grave yard folks for the Holy Avenger in IWD2? I can take out two, maybe three, but the duergar dude adn other fighter dude just annihilate my party and there is nothing I can do about it. They are immune to almost every crowd control type spell out there, so I'm having a really hard time.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

They have some good loot but if you can't handle them you can always sneak in, grab the incriminating papers, and sneak back out.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

a medical mystery posted:

They have some good loot but if you can't handle them you can always sneak in, grab the incriminating papers, and sneak back out.

You can also just sneak in with a single guy with a wand of fireball or necklace of missiles and murder them from the room down the corridor. I think you can cheese literally every single fight in BG1 in some way that makes the game mostly trivial when you know what you are doing.

In a solo game I think the fight with the greater dopplegangers in the palace is the hardest in the game simply because you have to keep one of the dukes or whatever they are alive.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

netcat posted:

You can also just sneak in with a single guy with a wand of fireball or necklace of missiles and murder them from the room down the corridor. I think you can cheese literally every single fight in BG1 in some way that makes the game mostly trivial when you know what you are doing.

When the game was new you could use wands while invisible. It was amazing, it's how I killed all the basilisks!
You can easily save the dukes with some Otiluke's Resilient Sphere action so long as you don't mind waiting a little after the doppelgangers are dead for the spheres to wear off. Belt doesn't really need it although the other one does. Doesn't make a difference if she dies though, really.

I also recommend the divide and conquer route, just go down the stairs and only a few of them will follow you. It's the best way to kill the Slavers in BG2 really early on too!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Max Wilco posted:

One thing that works really well in this, and other, fights is to spam Web. Two or three Webs mean that all the enemies need to make two or three saves each round and if they fail just one, they're stuck. Have the hasted party pepper them with AoE spells or missile weapons from a safe distance. Or give your tanks the Spider's Bane and/or Rings of Free Action (the female dwarf near the entrance of Ulgoth's Beard has one that can be pickpocketed) and have them charge in. Casting Protection From Fear or Remove Fear, Haste and any other buffs you have before going in is also recommended.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
You know those wands of paralyzation you've been saving up? This would be a good time to use them.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah seriously. You get like a billion wands in BG1. The toughest fights in the game--Iron Throne, bounty hunter ambushes, Chessboard--should all be opened with 6 fireballs from Necklace of Missiles, Wands of Fire, Oils of Fiery Burning, etc.

Then when the survivors make their way to you zap them with wands of paralysis.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Jesus Chris, how do you defeat the grave yard folks for the Holy Avenger in IWD2? I can take out two, maybe three, but the duergar dude adn other fighter dude just annihilate my party and there is nothing I can do about it. They are immune to almost every crowd control type spell out there, so I'm having a really hard time.

Buffs and summons, basically (which is the basic recipe for 99% of fights in all the IE games). They're tough, but you should be leveled enough to kill them.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

Whatever level you get enough invisibility spells/potions and hiding skills, use them on the bottom floor. It lets you choose who gets to interact with you on each level, since they can't see you until you take physical action. Then spread out your party into three distinct groups however best suits your tactics.

The acolytes can't do much damage when they're being attacked strategically from each side stairwell and the hallway, since the player group is split too widely to fall for area-effect spells.

e: and take advantage of pillar and sideroom lines of sight, since I think thieves going invisible nullifies enemy mage spells when it happens in the casting process

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Basic Chunnel posted:

I cheesed it by running up and down the stairs to break up the fight / divide and conquer.

This is how I managed to complete the fight, though partway through I left the building to go over to the inn to heal.

FairGame posted:

Yeah seriously. You get like a billion wands in BG1. The toughest fights in the game--Iron Throne, bounty hunter ambushes, Chessboard--should all be opened with 6 fireballs from Necklace of Missiles, Wands of Fire, Oils of Fiery Burning, etc.

Then when the survivors make their way to you zap them with wands of paralysis.

I actually haven't found that many wands, or any of the other items you mentioned (apart from the Oils of Fiery Burning). Right now, I've just returned to Candlekeep. Should I reload an earlier save, and seek some of that stuff out before proceeding on?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Aside from the aforementioned fireball/paralyze wands one timeless tactic in any infinity engine game is to use items or potions which grant freedom and then just spam the gently caress out of web/entangle etc while your melees charge in immune to those spells and gently caress everyone up. That should work on many of the tough fights - Ironthrone included.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think with EE, you can't use the otilukes sphere trick on the dukes anymore, I kept trying it and guards would spawn and destroy me.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ratchild13 posted:

I think with EE, you can't use the otilukes sphere trick on the dukes anymore, I kept trying it and guards would spawn and destroy me.

That makes no sense. ORS is not an offensive spell.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I imagine you could throw Invisibility on them to the same effect. It's how I usually keep the wild mage in Neera's quest in BG2 safe.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've been trying out Baldur's Gate since I've never played it before, and I gotta say I'm impressed by how retarded the combat is. Four people, two with magic and one with a sword can't even take down a single wolf.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I've been trying out Baldur's Gate since I've never played it before, and I gotta say I'm impressed by how retarded the combat is. Four people, two with magic and one with a sword can't even take down a single wolf.

To be fair, two of those people have never been outside the walls of a library, and the other two are so incompetent they got sent to the Sword Coast.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Rookersh posted:

To be fair, two of those people have never been outside the walls of a library, and the other two are so incompetent they got sent to the Sword Coast.
What's so bad about the sword coast? Is it supposed to be backwoods?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kaschei posted:

What's so bad about the sword coast? Is it supposed to be backwoods?

Actually yeah. Its a more rough and unsettled area than areas further South like Amn.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Even at level 1, you should really be able to get 4 characters to beat up a wolf. Maybe not two, but one is fine.

The Western Heartlands (since the Sword Coast extends a long way) is kind of a backwater, in that it's still mostly the domain of city-states rather than proper countries. Most of it probably counts as being within the sphere of influence of Baldur's Gate, since that's easily the richest, largest and best armed of the states there, but it doesn't formally claim a lot of territory. As a consequence of Forgotten Realms being the kitchen sink-est of kitchen sink fantasy settings, there's still plenty of places which are even more backwater-y and less politically modern though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Genocyber posted:

You should try running away more, wolves are dangerous.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You should try running away more, wolves are dangerous.

As far as I can tell, the only way to actually run from enemies is to screen transition, which is pretty dumb. After reloading a couple of times they managed to kill it without a scratch. And I thought the RNG in Fire Emblem was bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Even at level 1, you should really be able to get 4 characters to beat up a wolf. Maybe not two, but one is fine.

The Western Heartlands (since the Sword Coast extends a long way) is kind of a backwater, in that it's still mostly the domain of city-states rather than proper countries. Most of it probably counts as being within the sphere of influence of Baldur's Gate, since that's easily the richest, largest and best armed of the states there, but it doesn't formally claim a lot of territory. As a consequence of Forgotten Realms being the kitchen sink-est of kitchen sink fantasy settings, there's still plenty of places which are even more backwater-y and less politically modern though.

Specifically, the Sword Coast refers to the stretch of coastline between Waterdeep and Amn. Baldur's Gate is the largest regional power, but there aren't any countries in the area per se and thus little government or organized military. As a result, it's rife with banditry, mercenary activity, piracy, monsters, and other threats, leading people who live in the area to typically be armed and usually organized in militias or be host to protective mercenaries. It's known to be a dangerous area to live in and travel through, thus the name Sword Coast.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Genocyber posted:

As far as I can tell, the only way to actually run from enemies is to screen transition

Permanently, yes. Or you kill them with the other 3 while they're chasing one guy around.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Genocyber posted:

As far as I can tell, the only way to actually run from enemies is to screen transition, which is pretty dumb. After reloading a couple of times they managed to kill it without a scratch. And I thought the RNG in Fire Emblem was bad.

The tactics & strategy part of these games is all about stacking the RNG so heavily in your favor that it ceases to be random.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

sebzilla posted:

That makes no sense. ORS is not an offensive spell.
The game does appear to treat it as an offensive spell. From what I recall, BGTutu did the same thing, so it's probably a feature of the BG2 engine. (I too had the bright idea to cast it on the dukes, only for my plan to spectacularly backfire.)

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I'm on my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate 1 and I'm owning the poo poo out of wolves and Ogrillons and poo poo after whiffing sword swings on them 20 times :c00l:

I also beat Mullahey at level 1 somehow by recruiting Xan, charming Mullahey and throwing him in the corner of the cave, then putting him to sleep and some weird bug haappened where two big skull gate portals appeared and his skeleton/gnoll crew DIDN'T show up for once, and he died. RIP Mullahey. I have no idea what happened but it was clearly buggy, I'm just glad I didn't have to deal w/ his skeleton buddies.

edit: also the name Kensai seemed cool so I made a human male Kensai and he does a lot of damage but also doesn't hit things very often and isn't allowed to wear clothes. I picked Longsword proficiency with him since I figured there wouldn't be any katanas around to use.

pissdude fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Can you not do quests from previous chapters? I looked in my journal and noticed all the previous ones I had are gone, and can't seem to find them anywhere. If so that's really loving dumb, especially considering my party members have been urging me to go to Nashkel.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

There are buttons in your journal to take you back and forth between chapter entries.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

My super slow LP/Blog continues: http://duckfeed.tv/infinityengineers/nashkelmines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Where the hell is the lady I'm supposed to save in the Gnoll fortress?