Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Shocking isn't it.

You want a real depressing one, read down that list and see how many of those people are dead for 'failure to comply' with orders they could not comply with on account of being beaten to death and/or otherwise incapacitated violently prior to being given the command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Just remember: all of these officers are really good guys. They have beers with their friends on the weekends. We shouldn't blame them, we should blame the system that

Oh gently caress it I can't even say it, I'm literally nauseous reading just a tenth of that page. Fellow officers knew about this stuff and let it happen and refused to act on internal knowledge because it would break omerta.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
This event from my state is linked in that great big list: http://youtu.be/DkhrWZ6twjw

An off-duty cop at a bar in Columbia, SC tried to arrest a woman because she refused to go home with him.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The reality we all live with is that cops are of course going to have few qualms about violating laws that don't really apply to them. For example the typical cop has no hesitation about speeding without lights on, swerving in lanes, rolling through stop signs, or committing any of the numerous traffic violations that are the bread and butter of police work in the United States. And that has always been something that the typical American has accepted as the way things are, since it's typically a minor issue and complaining about it simply results in police retaliation. But with the advent of police militarization, the acceptable scope of police law-breaking has expanded greatly. They increasingly see themselves as being outside civil society, and separate from other civilians. And these expectations are causing all sorts of issues. Cops are placing themselves in increasingly legally precarious situations, with the expectation that their legal immunities and TBL relationships with prosecutors will keep them out of trouble. And the worst part is that they're probably correct in thinking that.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 22, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

zeal posted:

This event from my state is linked in that great big list: http://youtu.be/DkhrWZ6twjw

An off-duty cop at a bar in Columbia, SC tried to arrest a woman because she refused to go home with him.

I watched that whole video and was almost shocked that the stack of bystanders didn't find a way to free or protect her. But then I realized that nobody wanted to die that night.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

zeal posted:

I was trying to decide if I should post that or not, but I didn't want to just come in and post a bunch of links. That, however, is some really crazy poo poo. I don't know what I would do if I were there, I guess I would wait for the real cops to arrive, but I'd want to kick his rear end. Look at her, she is terrified.

Even better, he left his gun on the counter 10 feet away next to his alcoholic beverage. (or I misheard what he said, it was a phone).

Pohl fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 22, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I honestly thought bystanders handled it pretty well short of physically intervening. Dude was a cop after all, who knows what further enormities he was capable of? This is also one of the few stories in that list with something like a silver lining, the officer involved was actually fired over the incident though he certainly served no jail time.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Pohl posted:

I was trying to decide if I should post that or not, but I didn't want to just come in and post a bunch of links. That, however, is some really crazy poo poo. I don't know what I would do if I were there, I guess I would wait for the real cops to arrive, but I'd want to kick his rear end. Look at her, she is terrified.

Even better, he left his gun on the counter 10 feet away next to his alcoholic beverage.

VVV

They could have just grabbed his gun off the counter. :lol:

What? The only thing next to his beer was his phone. As the man filming clearly says.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Cuntpunch posted:

What? The only thing next to his beer was his phone. As the man filming clearly says.

I thought he said it was his gun? poo poo, a phone is nowhere near as fun as a gun. I must have completely misheard that.
Edit: ah, the accent got me. I watched that part over and over and I still have to remind myself that he said "phone", even though I can clearly see a phone sitting there.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 22, 2014

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
From the Youtube's description:

quote:

COLUMBIA, SC -- A drunken sheriff's deputy was recorded during a strange and inappropriate altercation when he tried to arrest a female soldier at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in Columbia.

On October 7th, 23-year-old Brittany Ball, a USMC member out of Fort Jackson, was allegedly upset at the restaurant when approached by Richland County Deputy Paul Allen Derrick. She apparently turned down his advances and the two began to argue.

Derrick, a 17 year veteran, left the restaurant to go retrieve handcuffs and his gun from his vehicle, then returning to try and arrest Ball. He was recorded screaming at her and barking orders as he twisted her arms behind her back.

Columbia police arrived and saw the video and ordered Derrick release Ball, then took Derrick into custody and charged him with assault and battery

Sheriff Leon Lott initially backed Derrick, saying that he had authority to make an arrest, suggesting that Ball was "resisting".

After a week of pressure and reasoning, Sheriff Lott placed Derrick on leave without pay.

So he had his gun with him inside the restaurant during his 'arrest' of her.

Naturally, his boss took his side despite all the obvious evidence that the deputy was a total dick, but finally saw reason and made him suffer the ultimate price, leave without pay.

I'm certain if the patrons of the bar got confrontational with him, they would have been subject to many bullets to the everything.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Fruity Rudy posted:

The common theme I noticed was how often, according to official reports, all these police victims are supposedly taking the "Can I Grab the Cop's Gun" Challenge. If you're to believe American cops, there's an epidemic of people who decided to not only fight the police with their bare hands, but then further tried to gamble their life unsuccessfully and reach for the police firearm to try and become a cop killer. Everyone's taking the challenge, including apparently tiny teenage girls.

This is because it's a plausible excuse for killing literally anyone as long as they have hands.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kaal posted:

The reality we all live with is that cops are of course going to have few qualms about violating laws that don't really apply to them. For example the typical cop has no hesitation about speeding without lights on, swerving in lanes, rolling through stop signs, or committing any of the numerous traffic violations that are the bread and butter of police work in the United States. And that has always been something that the typical American has accepted as the way things are, since it's typically a minor issue and complaining about it simply results in police retaliation. But with the advent of police militarization, the acceptable scope of police law-breaking has expanded greatly. They increasingly see themselves as being outside civil society, and separate from other civilians. And these expectations are causing all sorts of issues. Cops are placing themselves in increasingly legally precarious situations, with the expectation that their legal immunities and TBL relationships with prosecutors will keep them out of trouble. And the worst part is that they're probably correct in thinking that.

I think that cops have always been able to get away with murder but now it's creeping into affecting middle class and white people. Additionally with the ubiquitousness of camera phones and the internet it's a lot harder to lie about this sort of thing. A lot of those stories would have been reported very differently if at all thirty years ago because the truth that PDs are not trustworthy is a recent concept to a great many people (the people that until recently didn't face their wrath). Just fixing police militarization really doesn't help the problem since the police don't need expensive military gear to oppress people if they are allowed to kill innocent people the old fashioned way with clubs or pistols, the justice system covers for them, and then claims that everything was "civilized" so don't complain.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 22, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cuntpunch posted:

Just remember: all of these officers are really good guys. They have beers with their friends on the weekends. We shouldn't blame them, we should blame the system that

You don't even need an excuse that long. "Being a cop is hard and you don't get it." is all you need. If things get really bad just get a cop to say "I know the cops I work alongside are good guys, no extra oversight is needed."

Regarding the latter it must be weird for cops to hear about the Pope, he claims to be God's representative on Earth and yet is only infallible in very specific instances whereas they're infallible at all times.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 22, 2014

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cuntpunch posted:

I really doubt that cops beating people to death are good guys. But if we want to get rid of cops like that, yes, we need to reform the system.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Radish posted:

I think that cops have always been able to get away with murder but now it's creeping into affecting middle class and white people.

In a world where a presidential candidate denounces 47% of the population as mooching bums and GOP crowds cheer people dying of no healthcare coverage I do wonder how much this will matter. The "squeezed middle" may well be seeing more of police oppression because those on top care much less if they do.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

zeal posted:

I honestly thought bystanders handled it pretty well short of physically intervening. Dude was a cop after all, who knows what further enormities he was capable of? This is also one of the few stories in that list with something like a silver lining, the officer involved was actually fired over the incident though he certainly served no jail time.

It appears he has been charged with assault, although that's a pretty light charge considering.

http://www.wistv.com/story/23666479/off-duty-sc-deputy-charged-with-assault

SC Code § 16-3-910 (2012) posted:

Whoever shall unlawfully seize, confine, inveigle, decoy, kidnap, abduct or carry away any other person by any means whatsoever without authority of law, except when a minor is seized or taken by his parent, is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be imprisoned for a period not to exceed thirty years unless sentenced for murder as provided in Section 16-3-20.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

It appears he has been charged with assault, although that's a pretty light charge considering.

http://www.wistv.com/story/23666479/off-duty-sc-deputy-charged-with-assault

Youtube description says he was also charged with battery - you know how prosecutors are, charge everything.

Also you all shouldn't get too worked up with the "placed on paid leave" thing. As a government employee to be fired for cause you're protected against takings by due process. This means that they cannot withhold pay without some sort of proceeding, and any quick proceeding would likely interfere with any criminal case. As a result any punishments aren't particularly likely until an indictment. At least the suspension gets them off the street in the meantime...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ReV VAdAUL posted:

In a world where a presidential candidate denounces 47% of the population as mooching bums and GOP crowds cheer people dying of no healthcare coverage I do wonder how much this will matter. The "squeezed middle" may well be seeing more of police oppression because those on top care much less if they do.

My white, southern relatives have really started complaining about cop abuses lately now that they have started to notice them. The problem is that neither party thinks there is a problem with how the system brutalizes citizens and then gives it the stamp of approval so I don't think it will be an issue that you can really vote against for a while.

I don't have a problem with paid leave since until the person is proven guilty, he or she shouldn't be unable to support him or herself just for being a suspect. The problem is that police are typically are not punished adequately for terrible crimes so the optics are they get rewarded with a vacation for murder.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 22, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Radish posted:

My white, southern relatives have really started complaining about cop abuses lately now that they have started to notice them. The problem is that neither party thinks there is a problem with how the system brutalizes citizens and then gives it the stamp of approval so I don't think it will be an issue that you can really vote against for a while.

Yeah, there really isn't an outlet for this discontent, which might we be why the elite are content with people seeing it. Still, local elections could be used to push for reform, whether it is for local law enforcement officials or city councillors. It is risky though, Arpaio started off as a reform candidate for instance.

There are a couple of worrying possible outcomes to growing discontent too. One is business elites start to openly stand with the police and criticising the police openly starts to threaten your job prospects. Another is private police forces gaining popular support as a solution.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Yeah, there really isn't an outlet for this discontent, which might we be why the elite are content with people seeing it. Still, local elections could be used to push for reform, whether it is for local law enforcement officials or city councillors. It is risky though, Arpaio started off as a reform candidate for instance.

There are a couple of worrying possible outcomes to growing discontent too. One is business elites start to openly stand with the police and criticising the police openly starts to threaten your job prospects. Another is private police forces gaining popular support as a solution.

It's just as likely that businesses will support token reforms because it means they don't have to clean up the mess after some people burn down their stores.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Radish posted:

I don't have a problem with paid leave since until the person is proven guilty, he or she shouldn't be unable to support him or herself just for being a suspect. The problem is that police are typically are not punished adequately for terrible crimes so the optics are they get rewarded with a vacation for murder.

If I were to be arrested for the things I'm seeing posted here, my boss wouldn't pay me while I sat in jail. It should be no different for cops. They should be arrested, put in jail and pay bail just like the rest of us. Then, when they are back on the streets, the department can put them on paid leave.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

computer parts posted:

It's just as likely that businesses will support token reforms because it means they don't have to clean up the mess after some people burn down their stores.

That's the thing though, we're talking about White Middle Class people starting to realise how badly the police are behaving and the only push factor for the elite to support reform is if riots occur often enough that it hits their bottom line. As the link on the last page shows, most communities who are victims of police abuse of power aren't rioting, let alone Middle Class Whites who are unhappy about it but not directly affected.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

MickeyFinn posted:

If I were to be arrested for the things I'm seeing posted here, my boss wouldn't pay me while I sat in jail. It should be no different for cops. They should be arrested, put in jail and pay bail just like the rest of us. Then, when they are back on the streets, the department can put them on paid leave.

For most of the stuff here (e.g., assault without great bodily injury from a bar fight), you would be back on the street within 24 hours, possibly quite less depending on the time you were arrested.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReV VAdAUL posted:

That's the thing though, we're talking about White Middle Class people starting to realise how badly the police are behaving and the only push factor for the elite to support reform is if riots occur often enough that it hits their bottom line. As the link on the last page shows, most communities who are victims of police abuse of power aren't rioting, let alone Middle Class Whites who are unhappy about it but not directly affected.

You're also talking about when those white middle class people do become directly affected. At that point protests among the lower classes are more likely *and* you have moderately wealthy individuals (and more importantly, voters) who are calling up their state representatives to complain.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Berk Berkly posted:

Naturally, his boss took his side despite all the obvious evidence that the deputy was a total dick, but finally saw reason and made him suffer the ultimate price, leave without pay.

I'm certain if the patrons of the bar got confrontational with him, they would have been subject to many bullets to the everything.

Of course he did.

Don't forget, any 'civilian' with a permit to carry would be a felon in most states for drinking in public while in possession of a firearm. Or, you know, for being in a bar in possession of a firearm, depending on the state.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

KernelSlanders posted:

It's kind of amazing that they're yelling at a dead guy to stop resisting while trying to pull his arms backwards in a way they don't bend even if you're dead.

STOP RESISTING!

Berk Berkly posted:

Uhhh, yeah you don't do that to a Marine. I'm actually surprised that he didn't serve any time, DoD doesn't gently caress around with sexual harassment even if it's coming from a non-soldier.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 22, 2014

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Berk Berkly posted:

I dunno, have we seen any examples of a lone cop freaking out at a hostile crowd and just unloading into everyone he can see? I think when they're outnumbered they call in backup first.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

computer parts posted:

You're also talking about when those white middle class people do become directly affected. At that point protests among the lower classes are more likely *and* you have moderately wealthy individuals (and more importantly, voters) who are calling up their state representatives to complain.

Middle Class Whites may become more affected but the majority of brutality is going to be aimed at minorities and the poor still. My point is that the elite are unconcerned that this brutality is becoming obvious to the Middle Class because they can't do much about it.

If rioting starts to break out the elite may well be able to spin it as a direct threat to Middle Class property. Certainly in Ferguson there have been strenuous efforts to keep the protests as peaceful as possible so as not to justify the Police's combat weapons and vehicles and to not to alienate Middle Class Whites who may be sympathetic.

Riots becoming common enough to threaten profits will almost certainly lead to greater support for heavy handed tactics, from the Middle and Upper classes, rather than increasing support for reform if the 60s and 70s are any indication.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

zeal posted:

quote:

A police officer who reviewed cell phone video of the incident reports hearing Derrick say, [b]"This is how Marines deal with soldiers," while slamming the woman into the table.

Has anybody else been noticing a thing with Marines?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sir Tonk posted:

STOP RESISTING!

Uhhh, yeah you don't do that to a Marine. I'm actually surprised that he didn't serve any time, DoD doesn't gently caress around with sexual harassment even if it's coming from a non-soldier.

DoD doesn't gently caress around with sexual harassment? :laffo:

That's a subject for another thread entirely, but the DoD is plagued with rapes, assaults, and other bullshit all just vanishing or being swept away for some reason or another.

Also, since she was a wook she probably was being a bitch anyways.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

KernelSlanders posted:

For most of the stuff here (e.g., assault without great bodily injury from a bar fight), you would be back on the street within 24 hours, possibly quite less depending on the time you were arrested.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that cops should get a few days to get their stories straight and poo poo. For example, if a cop discharges his weapon in the line of duty, he should be arrested*, booked, go to a bail hearing and then get released like everyone else. If the shooting was appropriate, the charges will be dropped and he can go about his business. The same should be true for assault, battery and all the other things. The point is that cops should be held to the same process that the rest of us are.

* If a crime was committed, like reckless endangerment, attempted murder, or something else. A cop shooting at a range wouldn't be arrested any more than one of us regular people.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

Sure, but that doesn't mean that cops should get a few days to get their stories straight and poo poo. For example, if a cop discharges his weapon in the line of duty, he should be arrested*, booked, go to a bail hearing and then get released like everyone else.

You're wrong if you think that every time a white person kills a black person that the white person gets arrested immediately.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By the way, is there evidence that black COPS are more scrutinized for shooting incidents than their white colleagues?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, is there evidence that black COPS are more scrutinized for shooting incidents than their white colleagues?

Since we're unable to get a good number on the number of people killed by police each year (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-many-americans-the-police-kill-each-year/), I doubt there's good information on police shooting incidents by race of officer.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Then I guess my division wasn't the norm because they were ridiculously serious about it and had more sexual harassment training than anything else.

I heard plenty of stories about rapes and poo poo in Iraq, but there was also a significant response to that after it became well known. You can't change everyone overnight, but they're a lot better than they were when I joined in the late 90's. And I'd go as far as to say that the military is far better at respecting the rights of Americans and fellow soldiers than any police department.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dunno, but there's always the concern that they're like the Boyz n the Hood/NWA version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPHv_-fqdjM

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 22, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

You're wrong if you think that every time a white person kills a black person that the white person gets arrested immediately.

I think we're only asking that for a start cops be held to the same racist standard of justice that other white people are held to. Having one racist standard for cops and another for white people is just too complicated.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Fair point, I suppose. But I stand by my point that cops should be treated like ordinary citizens. Of course, racism should be stomped out with prejudice from society as a whole.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

MickeyFinn posted:

Sure, but that doesn't mean that cops should get a few days to get their stories straight and poo poo. For example, if a cop discharges his weapon in the line of duty, he should be arrested*, booked, go to a bail hearing and then get released like everyone else. If the shooting was appropriate, the charges will be dropped and he can go about his business. The same should be true for assault, battery and all the other things. The point is that cops should be held to the same process that the rest of us are.

* If a crime was committed, like reckless endangerment, attempted murder, or something else. A cop shooting at a range wouldn't be arrested any more than one of us regular people.

While I agree with you in principle, if you think you're ever going to see a uniformed officer in handcuffs you're living in a fantasy world.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

KernelSlanders posted:

It's kind of amazing that they're yelling at a dead guy to stop resisting while trying to pull his arms backwards in a way they don't bend even if you're dead.

That kid who stole the powerades and was shot dead in broad daylight was already dead, but they turned over his body to handcuff him anyways, and were screaming at his corpse as though he was still resisting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

MickeyFinn posted:

Sure, but that doesn't mean that cops should get a few days to get their stories straight and poo poo.

Fun fact, this is actually Dallas PD policy now. Last year, there was an an officer-involved shooting where the officer made his statement and then surveillance camera footage that contradicted the statement came out.

In response, DPD changed a policy to require a 72 hour delay before an officer gives a statement regarding a shooting they were involved in.

• Locked thread