Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

raditts posted:

Wasn't it literally based on those chain emails?
Yes, that's what I meant. It makes the entire thing hilarious. Then you have the whole 'Heaven is for Real' thing where the parents admitted it's all made up because they were in major financial trouble.

What I'm saying is, the entire Christian film industry is based on lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, it's funny how nothing can teach you to be a skeptic quite like a religious education, but nothing can get you thinking intensely spiritually quite like a critical secular education.

*citation needed

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is it based on the one where the marine (or whatever, I'm sure there are variations, as with most chain emails) coldcocks a professor who dares God to smite him?

And that Marine was Albert Einstein.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014

sleepingbuddha posted:

And that Marine was Albert Einstein.

I was at my son's Confirmation Mass, and our priest told the Albert Einstein variant of the story entirely through, even ending with the "and that boy was Albert Einstein" line. Still more entertaining than God is Not Dead.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
It was taking a totally secular ancient Israel archaeology/culture class that made me super interested in reading the bible. Then it was like unlocking an amazing mystery.

To give an example, I always thought the ban on mixed fiber clothing was stupid an arbitrary, but what it actually meant was "don't wear the official uniform of that other religion, ok?" Suddenly hugely more sensible.

Also studying how parts of Kings were definitely made up after the fact for political reasons. Makes total sense.

It also makes the ancient Israelites seem more relatable and less totally alien because as it turns out they usually had some sort of sensible rationale for doing a bunch of the stuff they did.

What I'm saying is, churches need to stop being afraid of history, I guess.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Xibanya posted:

It was taking a totally secular ancient Israel archaeology/culture class that made me super interested in reading the bible. Then it was like unlocking an amazing mystery.

To give an example, I always thought the ban on mixed fiber clothing was stupid an arbitrary, but what it actually meant was "don't wear the official uniform of that other religion, ok?" Suddenly hugely more sensible.

Also studying how parts of Kings were definitely made up after the fact for political reasons. Makes total sense.

It also makes the ancient Israelites seem more relatable and less totally alien because as it turns out they usually had some sort of sensible rationale for doing a bunch of the stuff they did.

They're not afraid of history. The Bible is the only history book you'll ever need!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Some of them are actually afraid of history. I recall meeting a man who in one fell swoop called people who firebombed a local Planned Parenthood martyrs and heroes then went on to denounce all extra-biblical history as a grand liberal/satanic conspiracy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hemophilia posted:

Some of them are actually afraid of history.

:thejoke:

We're talking about a group of people where some believe that humans and dinosaurs co-existed here.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah but when a guy is basically admitting that even the gap between the new testament and the current day is totally suspect and probably didn't even happen, what do you do with that? Can that person even be said to live on this planet?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

We're talking about a group of people where some believe that humans and dinosaurs co-existed here.

Yeah, I live 30 minutes away from the Creation Museum.

I haven't actually been because, it's $30 for pseudoscience, and I don't want to cry in public over humanity.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Xibanya posted:

It's like the ban on pork and shrimp. Clearly they figured out that they didn't know how to prepare these things well enough to keep from getting sick, so they write a law for the generally-illiterate populace that's like "god says don't eat pork". Then centuries go by and we learn about bacteria and parasites and how to properly deal with them. But without any real context, people still think that god gives a poo poo what you eat.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I also think that the ban on adultery was sensible when you consider
1. levirate property laws based on male heir such and such
2. without birth control, you don't want random people having unwanted babies all over the place!

So I think God is totes down with consensual sex outside of marriage in a world with birth control.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Xibanya posted:

Part of Psalms is maybe, possibly, could be plagiarized from a poem written by a pharaoh with an affinity for monotheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hymn_to_the_Aten
http://www.dubiousdisciple.com/2013/04/psalm-104-the-great-hymn-to-the-aten-2.html

As intriguing as this is, it's also possible that ancient worshipers used common praises for lots of deities. "Nice work with the animals, thanks for the geography, we're all really impressed down here."

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I live 30 minutes away from the Creation Museum.

I haven't actually been because, it's $30 for pseudoscience, and I don't want to cry in public over humanity.

But Jesus did. And they were tears of blood. :unsmigghh:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

raditts posted:

Ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rho47Mey0Ww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rho47Mey0Ww

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xibanya posted:

I also think that the ban on adultery was sensible when you consider
1. levirate property laws based on male heir such and such
2. without birth control, you don't want random people having unwanted babies all over the place!

So I think God is totes down with consensual sex outside of marriage in a world with birth control.

I think your SO will be thrilled if you explain it that way!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LloydDobler posted:

It's like the ban on pork and shrimp. Clearly they figured out that they didn't know how to prepare these things well enough to keep from getting sick, so they write a law for the generally-illiterate populace that's like "god says don't eat pork". Then centuries go by and we learn about bacteria and parasites and how to properly deal with them. But without any real context, people still think that god gives a poo poo what you eat.

This logic doesn't follow because despite our modern Western food compunctions, which can't be said to be uninfluenced by the kashrut, there isn't any evidence that prohibited foods are more dangerous than allowed foods. There are a lot more things there than just pork and shrimp (which you can generally eat raw). It seems, if anything, more ridiculous that the Jews alone couldn't figure out how to prepare these things without getting sick (cook them a little more) when millions of other people all over the world were happily eating pork and shrimp all the time, and pork was the mainstay meat of a region that at some points may have housed the majority of all the people on the Earth (premodern China). Why didn't other societies have these rules? Were they too stupid? As stupid as the "generally-illiterate" populace who somehow didn't notice they kept getting sick when they ate pig? Far more plausible, in my mind, are explanations that don't condescend to premodern peoples, like Wenham's social boundary explanation or either Douglas's early explanation in Purity and Danger that forbidden animals are liminal, category blending, and therefore dirty, or even her later and more esoteric altar-body complex explanation.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

DeimosRising posted:

As stupid as the "generally-illiterate" populace who somehow didn't notice they kept getting sick when they ate pig? Far more plausible, in my mind, are explanations that don't condescend to premodern peoples, like Wenham's social boundary explanation or either Douglas's early explanation in Purity and Danger that forbidden animals are liminal, category blending, and therefore dirty, or even her later and more esoteric altar-body complex explanation.

That's always been my take on it. Religious busy-bodies who decided eating certain food was "gross" and decided to try to keep everyone from eating it. Pigs live in their own poo poo: gross. Bottom-feeding fish eat the poo poo of other fish: gross. Crustaceans look real weird: gross.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DeimosRising posted:

This logic doesn't follow because despite our modern Western food compunctions, which can't be said to be uninfluenced by the kashrut, there isn't any evidence that prohibited foods are more dangerous than allowed foods. There are a lot more things there than just pork and shrimp (which you can generally eat raw). It seems, if anything, more ridiculous that the Jews alone couldn't figure out how to prepare these things without getting sick (cook them a little more) when millions of other people all over the world were happily eating pork and shrimp all the time, and pork was the mainstay meat of a region that at some points may have housed the majority of all the people on the Earth (premodern China). Why didn't other societies have these rules? Were they too stupid? As stupid as the "generally-illiterate" populace who somehow didn't notice they kept getting sick when they ate pig? Far more plausible, in my mind, are explanations that don't condescend to premodern peoples, like Wenham's social boundary explanation or either Douglas's early explanation in Purity and Danger that forbidden animals are liminal, category blending, and therefore dirty, or even her later and more esoteric altar-body complex explanation.

ChickenMedium posted:

That's always been my take on it. Religious busy-bodies who decided eating certain food was "gross" and decided to try to keep everyone from eating it. Pigs live in their own poo poo: gross. Bottom-feeding fish eat the poo poo of other fish: gross. Crustaceans look real weird: gross.

I was always fond of Hitchens' (if less than scholarly) expansion on the altar-body explanation, that the intelligence of pigs even in captivity produces a weird fascination with them as quasi-equals.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is not fake

This is 100% real

Kirk Cameron has a movie studio

Its name?

CAMFAM

and their first release?

quote:

Actor Kirk Cameron is taking political correctness to task this fall with a new movie that aims to deflate arguments regularly made against Christmas, while simultaneously pushing back against atheist activists’ annual attacks on the holiday.

In “Saving Christmas,” Cameron plans to tackle some of the most controversial and disputed issues surrounding the celebration of Jesus Christ’s birthday — claims that he says have had a profound impact on the way believers and nonbelievers alike view the Christian celebration.

ATHEISTS WATCH OUT!

quote:

And while he has no idea exactly how atheists will respond to the feature film, which is slated to open November 14 in theaters across America, he predicts they likely won’t be too elated with its storyline.

“I assume they’re going to get frustrated to see some of their best arguments deflated by this movie, because we take on some of the most commonly parroted myths about the origins of Christmas,” Cameron exclusively told TheBlaze Tuesday.

Get ready for some hit you on the head "symbolism"

quote:

Unlike some of his more recent projects, “Saving Christmas” isn’t a documentary. It’s a comedic narrative that weaves together educational elements that, through a character-driven storyline, address these common complaints and critiques.

Cameron said some of the claims that will be addressed in the film include: the notion that Christmas is really a church co-opting of winter solstice celebrations, that Jesus was not born on December 25, that Christmas trees are pagan and that consumerism is overshadowing the true reason for the season.

“It’s a scripted story about a guy named Christian White who represents the typical white Christian male and he’s got a bad case of religious bah humbugs,” Cameron said. “He is just deflating his wife’s entire Christmas party because he has come to believe that everything we’re doing at Christmas to celebrate is wrong.”

CONSPIIRACY

quote:

The movie includes reenactments of the original Christmas tree story, with portions and scripted scenes showing the nativity and the Council of Nicea, a pivotal event in the history of Christianity.

Cameron, who is also one of the film’s stars, told TheBlaze that he decided to make “Saving Christmas” to celebrate the spirit of the holiday season, while also pushing back against those who wish to “snuff out [the holiday's] holy root.”

“Christmas is probably my favorite time of year,” he said. “It seems to be the time of year when even cranky, grumpy people seem to be touched by the spirit of generosity and kindness and brotherly love and I know that that ultimately stems from the true reason for the season, which is Christ.”

Cameron continued, “It’s obvious that there is a deliberate attempt to snuff out the holy root that has produced all this wonderful Christmas-time fruit. I think it’s about time someone spoke out and made a movie about this.”

And of course there is a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOSiZIgZ2JQ

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

:words: about Kirk Cameron

There is a God! And He loves the posters of the Christian Movie Thread!

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Dante Logos posted:

There is a God! And He loves the posters of the Christian Movie Thread!

Thank you, Mr Ice Cream Glove...It's just astounding to see Cameron double down on the batshit crazy. Is he really going to try to make the case that Jesus was literally born on December 25 and no other day? (What am I thinking - of course he is!)

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
I really like that they named the main guy christian white, who represents the typical white christian. I mean come on, how lazy is that.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wait, judging by the trailer It's about one christian telling another to stop getting mad that modern Christmas stuff that isn't actually Christian?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really can't believe he unironically made a character named Christian White.

Also remember that according to him, something is a 'myth' if based on science.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baumann posted:

I really like that they named the main guy christian white, who represents the typical white christian. I mean come on, how lazy is that.

Lazy yet refreshingly honest, essentially an admission that Kirk Cameron sees himself as a member of a threatened minority.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think a good christian christmas movie would be dropping the persecution complex, and then doubling down on charity, good will, and family.

(I don't mean "Family" as an excuse to persecute gays, I mean family as an excuse to go spend time with your family).

Want to make the atheists who take down christmas displays truly look assholes with no moral conscience? Have a movie painting that picture.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

We have a photo of the release party of his newest film

If you Google Kirk Cameron Birthday it says "Related search Sad Birthday"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Italian dressing seems pretty decadent for a true Christian. He should be gulping down those Spicy Italians dry. God help him if he got the honey wheat buns.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I want to write a short story from the perspective of the woman standing behind the cardboard boxes. She seems sublimely content.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cameron of course took this as a persecution complex

quote:

Cameron said the attention paid to the photo, which was taken during a birthday celebration at Living Waters Ministry in Bellflower, Calif., in October 2011, serves as "such a sad commentary on how bad our press and media has gotten."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

He would have a lot in common with Michael Jordan: http://www.theonion.com/articles/michael-jordan-celebrates-50th-birthday-with-last,31332/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

On my phone it looked like he was barfing on the cake.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

K. Waste posted:

I want to write a short story from the perspective of the woman standing behind the cardboard boxes. She seems sublimely content.

She's responsible for catering.

Cameron of course took this as a persecution complex

I agree with him. It's sad and bad that Cameron is still even showing up in any press or form of media.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

On my phone it looked like he was barfing on the cake.
My first thought too.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Is the loving "War on Christmas" nonsense really thing a people still care about? Really?

At least I live in a country where we didn't even bother renaming Yule to "Christ-Mass".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 29, 2014

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I didn't think a movie would be announced that looked even worse than Christian Mingle. Hat's off, Kirk Cameron, you did it.

I actually 'met' him when I helped set up some evangelical christian event in Ocean City, Maryland about 2001 or so. I had attended a local church high school age youth group for a few years, and even though I had stopped buying into it I liked the folks there and still attended fairly often and kept tabs on my friends there after I graduated high school. One day the guy running the youth group asked me and a couple other older kids if we'd help him set up for this convention, and we all hopped in his minivan and became amateur roadies.

Kirk Cameron was the highlight speaker at the event and at the time was something of an evangelical superstar. Before we start setting up, some assistant comes over and starts telling us that Kirk Cameron will be in the backstage area, and we were not to initiate conversation or extended eye contact with Kirk Cameron. I saw him wandering around a few times bitching to his assistant about everything and pretty much being a whiny, entitled little poo poo. gently caress Kirk Cameron.

Although I hope this movie makes a meager profit, so I can hold out hope for a sequel coproduced by Tyler Perry. We could have Christian White and his cousin Christian Black teaming up to save Easter.

My irrational hatred for Kirk Cameron aside (again: gently caress you Kirk Cameron), there are so, so many awful things about this poster.

- The goofy, overly smug face on the protagonist's face. Just below his massive five head and next to the right arm he got from a four-year-old girl.
- What the gently caress is he holding? A golden snow globe with a nativity scene inside?
- Terrible military stencil font that looks directly stolen from The Expendables of all places. Combined with 'Limited Engagement' and the depicted violence against secular or consumerist icons, it really adds a creepily militaristic vibe to the whole thing. poo poo, the crucifix is practically shoehorned in on the bottom left, as if they realized their poster was just a violent hate-boner against nonchristians and realized they needed to throw a cross in there somewhere. Even if it was smaller than the candy cane this guy is wielding as a weapon.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 29, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Atheists will say "What the gently caress is this crap" and "who the gently caress has wild dance parties at a Christmas party without being trashed" which based on the trailer no one is.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Wild T posted:

My irrational hatred for Kirk Cameron aside (again: gently caress you Kirk Cameron)...
There are a lot of "Kirk Cameron is a dick" stories so I empathize with your sentiment. There was a Playboy cover girl that was supposed to be Mike's girlfriend on Growing Pains was met with protests by Cameron. It was so bad that Alan Thicke had to set him aside and tell him to calm the gently caress down. I think he also called one of the regulars a servant of Satan.

And the poo poo cherry on this poo poo cake, when the guy playing "Boner" died a year or two ago, he commented on the death in the most self serving manner way possible.

So yeah, if you have a pool for when Kirk Cameron is going to be found doing heroin with a gay hooker, I wouldn't blame you. Then again, he probably gets more satisfaction being a prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

At least I live in a country where we didn't even bother renaming Yule to "Christ-Mass".

That is my favorite part. Literally Yule is attested decades before christianity is known to have arrived in northern Europe. I mean aside from that I know where Santa Clause comes from (his real name being the Yule Man, btw). He is a very big nisse, nisser being the creatures that live in every house lot. You have to feed your nisse, if you don't, they may knock the life out of your cows, and if you keep not feeding your nisse they'll most likely slip a disc on you or something, make your back all crooked.

e: my great grandpas farm, the main house, when they moved it they had to move the horses skull too. Under the main room there has to be a sacrifice to Odin, basically, or the nisser will gently caress up your poo poo.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread