Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

crazyfish posted:

When I homebrew a gose, I'll consciously piss off the beer nerd universe by calling it "Gose Canseco".

An imperial gose barrel aged with steroids.

Have we hit peak gose yet? Someone please tell me we have. The hype around this style is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Have we hit peak gose yet?

Has Brewdog done a version that's 26% alcohol yet?

Then no, no we have not.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

Has Brewdog done a version that's 26% alcohol yet?

Then no, no we have not.

It also has to be so salty that not even God himself could drink it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

They'll probably bottle it in bottles carved out of Himalayan pink salt.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Time for some bold opinions: not a fan of Gose. I don't want salt in a margarita nor do I want it in my beer

Next beer trend Craft Micheladas?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
salt rules.

in other salty beer news, last week hill farmstead released Friendship and Devotion, which is an IPA w/ citrus and salt, and it's loving delicious

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

cryme posted:

dogfish did this one already

There is no Dogfish, only Zuul.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

MunchE posted:

Time for some bold opinions: not a fan of Gose. I don't want salt in a margarita nor do I want it in my beer

I like gose but I don't care for salt in my margarita, so I guess I'm weird. I'd be in favor of craft micheladas, they're loving delicious and having a beer with perceptible flavor could only make them better. I've had a Bloody Mary with a float of Sculpin and that was fantastic, so the concept seems solid.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I hate tequila and I hate margaritas, but goses are real good. Most people who come to my store don't even know what goses are so I am willing to bet that we are not even close to peak goses yet.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fat Lou posted:

I hate tequila and I hate margaritas, but goses are real good. Most people who come to my store don't even know what goses are so I am willing to bet that we are not even close to peak goses yet.

Yeah... my friends who enjoy craft beer but don't sperg about it on the internet all day have no idea what a gose is. I guess the question is whether it ever significantly advances out of the beer nerd hype world and actually makes a dent in the public consciousness.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

Yeah... my friends who enjoy craft beer but don't sperg about it on the internet all day have no idea what a gose is. I guess the question is whether it ever significantly advances out of the beer nerd hype world and actually makes a dent in the public consciousness.

Off Color didn't- until recently- actually have "gose" on the Troublesome label because they didn't think people would understand.

That said: when pretty large breweries like Boulevard and Anderson Valley are pushing them, they've hit beer-nerd-mainstream. And I honestly think it's a style that has "cross-over" appeal. Like Off Color tried to market it, it's a tart wheat beer. Low alcohol, light body, clean finish. I don't see Westbrook's take on it being popular outside of the beer nerd crowd, but I definitely could see some of the more subdued ones being picked up by people who tend to drink Allagash White or, God forbid, Blue Moon.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I like gose. It's an interesting style. It just seems to have struck some sort beer nerd hype nerve in a way that I don't understand. Is it the novelty of the style? I have noticed that there isn't much hype for it here in Portland and I wonder if it's because Cascade and Upright have been making gose for years.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Docjowles posted:

If Bud were to take Westbrook Gose and call it like Summer Beer-garita or something idiotic like that but push it hard at festivals and take up some shelf space, I'm fairly certain that even they would have trouble keeping up with demand.

danbanana posted:

Like Off Color tried to market it, it's a tart wheat beer. Low alcohol, light body, clean finish. I don't see Westbrook's take on it being popular outside of the beer nerd crowd, but I definitely could see some of the more subdued ones being picked up by people who tend to drink Allagash White or, God forbid, Blue Moon.

Honestly, I don't get why Westbrook's wouldn't be the one to sell. It is practically lemonade in a can, with all the bright, sweet, and salty flavors with that summery effervescence that makes it something you can crush day-in and day-out. For me it pushes many of the same buttons as BL Lime which is a good thing. The public can handle margaritas so they can handle many of the flavors present in Westbrook Gose, I think it's mainly in terms of presentation. If you say "it's a salty, tart wheat beer" then your average beer drinker gets weirded out, but if you says "it's a lot like a marg crossed with a Blue Moon" then I think people are going to be much more open to the idea.

Personally I think Troublesome is a harder sell mostly because it does subdue the flavors and the salt aspect comes out much harder. I admit that I'm lukewarm on Troublesome (like it but won't order it over a lot of other things), but even just from having friends and family try stuff, they're way more on board with goses that are light and bright.

Basically, Berliner Weisse does really great among the general drinking public, and since Westbrook Gose is a bit more along those lines I think it might be an easier transition than dealing with a more mellow, salt-forward beer.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 22, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I like gose. It's an interesting style. It just seems to have struck some sort beer nerd hype nerve in a way that I don't understand. Is it the novelty of the style? I have noticed that there isn't much hype for it here in Portland and I wonder if it's because Cascade and Upright have been making gose for years.

it lies at the intersection of sour beer and session beer, both of which are pretty popular these days. plus, it's summer

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Eejit posted:

Basically, Berliner Weisse does really great among the general drinking public, and since Westbrook Gose is a bit more along those lines I think it might be an easier transition than dealing with a more mellow, salt-forward beer.

Where are my 6 pack berliners? The only one I can get with any regularity around here is the Bruery's Hottenroth, which is great but hard to session a beer for $7 a bottle

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

MunchE posted:

Where are my 6 pack berliners? The only one I can get with any regularity around here is the Bruery's Hottenroth, which is great but hard to session a beer for $7 a bottle

Bell's Oarsman?

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

MunchE posted:

Evil Twin Nomader Weisse is $12/6-pack here.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Saint Arnold Boiler Room is sometimes $4.99 a bomber and that's my go-to berliner these days.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

MunchE posted:

I've seen about 3 new Radlers pop up locally recently.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Pfff, I don't think South Florida even has a berliner distributed down here that is regularly available in any format, much less a locally distributed bottle. Despite, y'know, the idea that "Floridaweisse" is a thing.:colbert:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Did somebody say gose?

Saw people on that terrible FB trading group doing this so I figured I'd give it a shot since I had a 6-pack of Westbrook and tons of delicious blackberries growing in front of my house.

Pretty tasty.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Ithaca Cayuga Cruiser for sixers, but it's kinda mediocre.

I have no end of good berliners though with Jack's Abby and Night Shift so local.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
i hope long trail ends up bottling their berliner, since it was surprisingly good

cryme fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 22, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

http://prairieales.com/shop/#prettyPhoto[product-gallery]/7/

Prairie Dino glasses, ltd edition metallic, on sale now.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

a worthy uhh posted:

got mine about 30 min ago, those are beauties

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

bartolimu posted:

They'll probably bottle it in bottles carved out of Himalayan pink salt.

Yeah, I think I posted about it before, but about 4 years ago I got a bartender/homebrewer acquaintance really into weird styles, and he bought this book and came in one day and asked me about Gose. I got him really into brewing a Gose, so he did. He used some kind of pink salt from Brazil or something, and it tasted like ocean water and was one of the hardest to drink beers I've ever had that wasn't outright terrible. I hope breweries stay far away from that poo poo, because I still talk about it with my other friends who were at the bar that night.

In cool beer news, I picked up a St Gilloise today, as well as some To Ol fruited BW and a Trois Mousquetaires Baltic Porter because man that beer loving rocks and it's been a while since I had it.

I am probably going to be pulling an all-nighter to go win the Campeador lottery in Orlando. Pray for my soul.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

a worthy uhh posted:

I love how glassware nerds lost their poo poo over the original Dino glasses, and now Prairie is releasing variants online at a seemingly monthly pace. Why do breweries need Kickstarters again?

Edit: they are really cool, I bought a set of the last ones.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Just opened a few bottles with a friend tonight...

Pipeworks Passion Abduction: Lots of passion fruit on the nose as well as on the palate. The base beer was still apparent but not overly so. Overall pretty tasty. It'll be a shame when they brew it again and reduce the amount of fruit and make it less tasty which seems to be their MO when it comes to the Abductions.

Spiteful Brewing BA God drat Pigeon Porter: Aged on "rye whisky" barrels for 10 months. Pretty heavy barrel on the nose and palate with a roasty finish. It's not bad...certainly a huge improvement over their BA God drat Raspberry Porter I had back in March which was just above a drain pour.

Upland Blueberry: Less acidic than the strawberry and raspberry. It took a lot of drinking before I got any blueberry. I love anything sour and this still made me happy despite any depth or complexity.

Revolution Deth's Tar: I opened this on Crazyfish's recommendation and wasn't disappointed. It has mellowed considerably since I first had it after it was released and overall it is a nice BA stout.

I did find a 6 pack of Bell's Mars at my local minimart and cracked one open. It's fine. A bit sweet and less hoppy than I would have expected. I kind of regret paying the $20 price tag for the pack.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

What is this "horrible Facebook group" everyone keeps talking about?

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I had a Berliner Weisse for the first time tonight. God drat, what a refreshing beer type! I've been missing out.. Next is Gose and an actual sour (once I can find one of the RR sours at a good price or split it with someone or something). Do any good east coast breweries bottle or can Berliner Weisses (uhh sorry german grammar people) or Goses? When I finally go to TH I hope they'll have one on tap.

What sucks is Monk's had Orval on tap the other night, and that's one of those "Belgian beers everyone has to try once" beers that I never had for whatever reason. I haven't seen a bottle of it. And I passed it up for Blind Pig. I've had that before but man, I really agree with the thread's sentiments that Blind Pig beats Pliny. I'm just glad to live in a city where there's so many good craft beer bars that I can walk in and see RR sours or Pliny or something on tap outside of an event.

Has anyone been to Strangelove's? I feel their glasses aren't true 12 ounce glasses, and they just let the head do the talking. I like bars like Monk's or Grey Lodge that typically serve you a no bullshit pint, or, if the glass calls for a snifter or something, it's a good sized snifter. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. Also Strangelove's servers are HELLA paranoid about regulations because my friend's group got kicked out once for having a day off expired ID when all they wanted was food. I don't blame them, but, the staff there just seems kinda.. cold. Which is weird because I found Memphis Taproom to be totally dope. And I love all of Grey Lodge's staff and vibe, they really make you feel welcome there.

Finally, to end my beer gush post of Friday night, Neshaminy Creek Croydon Cream Ale is pretty tasty and refreshing too. Basically just a creamy malt based ale that pours a hazy gold and has light fruitiness to back it up. Not bad at all, I was expecting some really bad malty concoction with a weird mouthfeel. They're going to start canning it soon, so be on the lookout if you want to try a less common beer type. Looking forward to trying their new IPA, The Shape of Hops To Come, which they're canning soon. My favorite local upstart brewery for sure.

Did you guys see Rogue makes sodas now? Those guys are all over the place. Not going to lie, I want to try their Cucumber Soda or Root Beer.. I think the Cucumber Soda sounds like a good mixer for a gin cocktail or something.

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 23, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Vertigo posted:

What is this "horrible Facebook group" everyone keeps talking about?

Probably the ISO:FT one. It's basically nothing but trade rape and thread making GBS threads, imagine the lowest common denominator crowd posting about beer. I occasionally find IP trades with reasonable people in there through.

e: marketing chat, so hey 99 beers for $99
http://anytimeale.com

They claim yes this is real, all the marketing stuff is at the brewery apparently.

air- fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 23, 2014

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

What was the group people were talkin about cost+ shipping deals?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Probably the ISO:FT one. It's basically nothing but trade rape and thread making GBS threads, imagine the lowest common denominator crowd posting about beer. I occasionally find IP trades with reasonable people in there through.

There's also a Chicago facebook group which is absolutely horrendous too. Imagine ISO:FT but with nothing but asking about Zombie Dust, the line at 3 Floyds, or posting flaccid dickwaving pictures of their latest Gumballhead acquisition.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Vertigo posted:

What was the group people were talkin about cost+ shipping deals?

Hey, I completely forgot to reply to your PM asking about the different groups, sorry!

Like people already said, the huge lovely one is "Beer Trade ISO:FT" which I think at this point is hidden because a ton of scammers came through. I know Hatful and Air and some people are in it, ask one of them to join if you want to be in. It's mostly shitposts but if you just ignore the garbage and post an ISO/FT in there, there are a ton of people and you can probably arrange a trade. Personally I'm not in ISO:FT anymore and just use Talkbeer for 'big random crowd' trading.

The one I, personally, was talking about with people muling for me was a 'secret' invite-only group with a restricted membership. Not sure about any other groups, though.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Compusaurus posted:

I did find a 6 pack of Bell's Mars at my local minimart and cracked one open. It's fine. A bit sweet and less hoppy than I would have expected. I kind of regret paying the $20 price tag for the pack.

:byodood: it's $10 here...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

a worthy uhh posted:

The one I, personally, was talking about with people muling for me was a 'secret' invite-only group with a restricted membership. Not sure about any other groups, though.

i'm in one like that, too, where i am a minnow among whales. ISO:FT is not looked upon kindly by most of that group.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oregon nerds should be excited - De Garde announced that they got some huge Foeders and they plan on canning a berliner and grisette. They're trying to be the most inexpensive wild producer. The price for the berliner and grisette?

$10 for a 4-pack of 16 ounce cans. Doesn't get much better than that.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

13.19/ 4 pack of heady and 9 sip of sunshine... I love Vermont

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Oregon nerds should be excited - De Garde announced that they got some huge Foeders and they plan on canning a berliner and grisette. They're trying to be the most inexpensive wild producer. The price for the berliner and grisette?

$10 for a 4-pack of 16 ounce cans. Doesn't get much better than that.

and they're going to trade for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Cromlech posted:

I had a Berliner Weisse for the first time tonight. God drat, what a refreshing beer type! I've been missing out.. Next is Gose and an actual sour (once I can find one of the RR sours at a good price or split it with someone or something). Do any good east coast breweries bottle or can Berliner Weisses (uhh sorry german grammar people) or Goses? When I finally go to TH I hope they'll have one on tap.

DFH makes Festina Peche which is a reasonably decent Berliner Weisse with peach. BWs are generally found in bombers, though. Good thing is that they're usually not all that expensive.

There's a good chance that you'll be able to find other sour beer types (BW is a legit type of sour, by the way) on the shelf and you don't have to wait until you find something from RR. Belgian lambics can sometimes be found on local store shelves (Lindemans Gueze is widely available and is decent), Flemish reds like Duchesse De Bourgogne or Monks Cafe are usually easy to find, and there are a wide variety of American sours that aren't RR that hold their own quite well that are easily available.

Honestly just grab a sour off the shelf every week or whatever and try a whole range of stuff so that you can develop your palette. You don't need to wait for the RR stuff, although it is certainly worth trying.