Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
Neither of you know how good you've got it. The Japanese promotion was by far the worst-- you can pick two games (from a list of six) that you can download and play as much as you want for one whole month! After that month is up, you then have the privilege of purchasing the game at something like a 30% discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Silver Falcon posted:

Plus, that Smash sale is pretty amazing

It's not though, most of the stuff in that "sale" is still expensive/overpriced as poo poo. Most of it is only discounted to what it costs normally in the US, or higher still.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The first half was sort of okay, but the second half has nothing worthwhile outside of Fire Emblem, DK94 and NSMBU arguably. Depending on your region, even with these sales, you could still be paying more than America is normally anyways.

I don't know how the Australian dollar is these days, but if it's anything like it was a couple of years ago then even with 20-40% off, we're still paying more than you guys are.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

This sale loving owned. Grabbed two Mega Mans, FE:A and Donkey Kong '94. I would've also bought KI:U had I not ordered it a day before the sale started.

I couldn't have asked for more, really.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Wow 30% off on a Nintendo game I guess they really are in trouble.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zat posted:

This sale loving owned. Grabbed two Mega Mans, FE:A and Donkey Kong '94. I would've also bought KI:U had I not ordered it a day before the sale started.

I couldn't have asked for more, really.

Except decent prices, especially for a sale. You just paid the equivalent of 40 US dollars for FE:A, I wouldn't personally exactly call that a bargain.

PAL eShop prices are overinflated/diproportionate to other regions in general, so all a discount does is bring them more in line with normal prices everywhere else rather than cheap(er), comparatively. If an apple normally costs $20 in some region and then is discounted to $15 in a "sale" I would still feel gypped and not like I just scored a great bargain.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

less laughter posted:

Except decent prices, especially for a sale. You just paid the equivalent of 40 US dollars for FE:A, I wouldn't personally exactly call that a bargain.

PAL eShop prices are overinflated/diproportionate to other regions in general, so all a discount does is bring them more in line with normal prices everywhere else rather than cheap(er), comparatively. If an apple normally costs $20 in some region and then is discounted to $15 in a "sale" I would still feel gypped and not like I just scored a great bargain.

Yeah well, I don't feel like a sale is the best time to complain about this, when the prices are actually decent. $ = € almost always, but what can you do. Region restrictions are now the norm for console games, and nothing would've stopped me from getting a North American 3DS instead but I didn't.

As far as euro prices are concerned, this is a pretty cool sale.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I wish Nintendo would take a look at how Sony handle sales. There are 100+ games on sale right now on PSN. Max Payne 3 is on sale for £3.99 which'll get you like one NES game on the eShop.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Do you people just purposely ignore taxes or what because I'm really lost here

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I can't speak for Europe, though I assume they do factor in tax in their comparisons but Australia pays around twice as much as the US does without tax, and I'm pretty sure US tax is $30-40AUS worth.

Even factoring import costs it shouldn't be anywhere near that high, and the need to have digital prices match RRP physical prices so as to not piss off retailers makes digital prices look even more ridiculous here, since outside of getting stuff rated, I doubt anything needs any localization from the Euro or occasionally American versions they source from.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Has the eShop price for Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton been announced anywhere? It shows as TBD in the eShop itself. I'm going to be out of town visiting friends on the 29th, so if the eShop price is competitive with the $30 Amazon price I'd probably just go ahead and get it digitally so I can have it on my 3DS for the bus ride back home.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Do you people just purposely ignore taxes or what because I'm really lost here

I do because I don't pay taxes. :haw:

But I'm pretty sure most people set their 3DS to a region that doesn't have taxes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Has the eShop price for Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton been announced anywhere? It shows as TBD in the eShop itself. I'm going to be out of town visiting friends on the 29th, so if the eShop price is competitive with the $30 Amazon price I'd probably just go ahead and get it digitally so I can have it on my 3DS for the bus ride back home.

Pretty sure it's gonna be 40 bucks. Digital on Nintendo is always going to start at rrp

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

RMZXAnarchy posted:

But I'm pretty sure most people set their 3DS to a region that doesn't have taxes.

I doubt it. 99% of the people I streetpass set a region with a tax, and I don't think there are enough goons who both buy mostly digital and care enough to get around throwing a few dollars towards something that indirectly benefits themselves. Plus if everyone did that, how would you ever fill out that streetpass map!?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ineffiable posted:

Pretty sure it's gonna be 40 bucks. Digital on Nintendo is always going to start at rrp

Normally I'd agree, but half the retailers on this Nintendo page are offering it at $30 straight out of the gate. Gamestop is at $32 and Target is at $40, but the rest are $30, so I don't really know what to think. I guess I'll just stay with the physical preorder to be safe.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

In Canada, the best you can get is picking a province with no PST and then only paying the 5% GST.

How is it as easy as picking an option in a menu to weasel out of paying sales tax? Nintendo should be getting a good idea of where I am from the IP address of the Wi-Fi spot from which I'm making the purchase. Yes, there are probably ways to mess with what IP they see, but it would be significantly harder to do, which would be a step in the right direction.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Well cool, but the Euro prices have VAT included, which is a tax hidden in the price, you literally can't not pay it. And it's 20% on average, which surprisingly covers the price discrepancy between the dollars and euros

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

A good poster posted:

In Canada, the best you can get is picking a province with no PST and then only paying the 5% GST.

How is it as easy as picking an option in a menu to weasel out of paying sales tax? Nintendo should be getting a good idea of where I am from the IP address of the Wi-Fi spot from which I'm making the purchase. Yes, there are probably ways to mess with what IP they see, but it would be significantly harder to do, which would be a step in the right direction.

But then wouldn't you run into issues with region lock? Like if I'm buying something off the US eShop on my US 3DS while I'm physically in Malaysia, what tax should I be paying?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Some states/counties don't have sales tax on digital purchases and the postal code you set with the eShop is different from your 3DS region for purposes of street passing. I don't know why Nintendo doesn't go "golly the billing zip code and IP address are nowhere near the stated home region" but I guess so long as you're in America buying with an American card they don't care enough.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Do people really actually do this? I wouldn't know because I'm not a goddamn criminal.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yes. Whether it's saving three bucks at a time or trying to put one over on The Man, people do weird things with money.

Then again digital downloads is one of like five narrow categories where Californians don't axiomatically* pay sales tax so I don't have much room to talk. :psyduck::respek::v:

*It might still be due the State on a 540, or from the merchant themselves. I'm not a tax attorney or anything.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 23, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have no idea why they even charge me sales tax anyways because nothing else does in maine w/r/t digital/online retailers.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Do people really actually do this? I wouldn't know because I'm not a goddamn criminal.

When no other digital platform charges tax, why should Nintendo?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Because "how should digital purchases be taxed" is a pretty major issue right now? Nintendo is actually ahead of the curve.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

jivjov posted:

Because "how should digital purchases be taxed" is a pretty major issue right now? Nintendo is actually ahead of the curve.

It actually sounds like they aren't if you can spoof it so easily? I just had never even considered that when I was setting up my gameboy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm pretty sure Amazon counts as a digital platform, it's not like they physically ship you copies of kindle books on a CD.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Which ones would that be? I understand that including taxes in the listed price isn't how it's done in America, but back before Steam dealt in USD worldwide everything was the listed price + tax.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Peewi posted:

Which ones would that be? I understand that including taxes in the listed price isn't how it's done in America, but back before Steam dealt in USD worldwide everything was the listed price + tax.

Neither PSN or Steam charge tax for me.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Steam charges state sales tax for purchases made in Washington.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
As a Brit who has to pay 20% tax on literally everything all the time I just want to give a big old middle finger to anyone who can just choose not to pay tax, you lucky bastards.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

As a Brit who has to pay 20% tax on literally everything all the time I just want to give a big old middle finger to anyone who can just choose not to pay tax, you lucky bastards.

The Nordic countries say hello. 24 - 25.5%.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 24, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Can we please stop :qq: taxes :qq: chat thanks guys

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 28):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario Kart 8 (update, August 27)
WII U eSHOP
    SteamWorld Dig - €8.99 / £6.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Zen Pinball 2 Extra Tables - €2.99 / £2.39 each, includes free trials
  • The Walking Dead
  • Doctor Strange
  • Deadpool
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario Golf: Advance Tour (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.79
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Donkey Kong (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until August 28
    Fire Emblem (Wii U VC) - €4.89 / £4.40 until August 28
    Kirby's Adventure (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until August 28
    Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until August 28
    New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) - €47.99 / £39.99 until August 28
    Pokemon Rumble U (Wii U eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until August 28
    Sonic Lost World (Wii U) - €3.49 / £23.99 until August 28
    Assassin's Creed 3 (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until August 28
    Assassin's Creed 4 (Wii U) - €14.99 / £9.99 until August 28
    Child of Light (Wii U eShop) - €9.99 / £7.99 until August 28
    Just Dance 2014 (Wii U) - €14.99 / £9.99 until August 28
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until August 28
    Rabbids Land (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until August 28
    Rayman Legends (Wii U) - €14.99 / £9.99 until August 28
    Smurfs 2 (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 until August 28
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist (Wii U) - €14.99 / £9.99 until August 28
    ZombiU (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until August 28
    Gravity Badgers (Wii U eShop) - €3.49 / £3.49 until August 28
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until -September 11
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €3.49 / £2.99 until September 11
    SteamWorld Dig (Wii U eShop) - €6.49 / £4.99 if you own the 3DS version, runs from August 28-September 25

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Outback Pet Rescue 3D - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man V (Game Boy) - €3.99 / £3.59
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    3D Classics Kirby's Adventure (3DS eShop) - €4.20 / £3.78 until August 28
    Donkey Kong '94 (3DS VC) - €2.79 / £2.51 until August 28
    Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) - €29.99 / £25.99 until August 28
    Kirby's Dream Land (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until August 28
    Kirby's Dream Land 2 (3DS VC) - €2.80 / £2.52 until August 28
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS VC) - €47.99 / £39.99 until August 28
    Sonic Lost World (3DS VC) - €23.99 / £20.99 until August 28
    Super Pokemon Rumble (3DS VC) - €29.99 / £25.99 until August 28
    Rage of the Gladiator 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until August 28
    Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL World Duel Carnival (3DS) - €19.95 / £17.99 until September 5
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.35 until September 11
    Van Helsing Sniper ZX100 (3DS) - €2.69 / £2.69 until September 24

Note the SteamWorld Dig cross-buy discount: 25% off if you own the 3DS version, runs until the end of September. Eh, it's something.

The Mario Kart 8 update includes a bunch of small improvements like being able to display the map on the TV, a records screen and the ability to edit others' highlights, among other things; it'll also include three free Mercedes Benz-themed cars because I guess this is a thing Nintendo does now?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The main thing that was a lot of people's pet peeve, they changed your options after a race to default to the thing you selected last time. So mashing A will not put you into replay when you just wanted to go to the next race.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

greatn posted:

The main thing that was a lot of people's pet peeve, they changed your options after a race to default to the thing you selected last time. So mashing A will not put you into replay when you just wanted to go to the next race.

My pet peeve with that game is having to pause at the start of each GP/vs race to change wiimote only steering controls from motion to dpad. Any idea if they're fixing that?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

NA's getting Megaman X3 this week per Capcom's hinting at the beginning of the month.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, uh:

quote:

Each Add On Content pack will contain two new cups, each with four courses, which, in total, increases the number of available courses by 50 percent. The Add On Content packs include classics like Wario’s Gold Mine from Mario Kart Wii, as well as new courses, some taking place in the worlds of The Legend of Zelda and Animal Crossing. New vehicles will also arrive with each pack, including the Blue Falcon kart representing the F-Zero franchise in the first AOC pack.
Mario Kart 8 Pack 1 - Released: November 2014

Pack 1 includes:

3 Characters: Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link
4 Vehicles
8 Courses
Mario Kart 8 Pack 2 - Released: May 2015

Pack 2 includes:

3 Characters: Villager, Isabelle, Dry Bowser
4 Vehicles
8 Courses
As a bonus for purchasing both packs - as a bundle or separately - you can get eight different-coloured Yoshis and eight different-coloured Shy Guys that can be used right away.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-ddc/the-legend-of-zelda-x-mario-kart-8-aoc-pack-digital-download/10991121.html
http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-ddc/animal-crossing-x-mario-kart-8-aoc-pack-digital-download/10991122.html

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 26, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Holy poo poo

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

wheres megaman nintendo?? do you hate him too???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it