Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
welp: http://postmortemstudios.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/chronicles-of-gor-rpg-crowdfunding/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i'm gonna run houseplants of gor so hard

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It was great, as a child, realizing that Blue-Eyes White Dragon was total bullshit as a card. Exodia was pretty loving good, but only if you had a very specific and somewhat expensive deck set-up around getting all the pieces.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

For bonus scum points, his campaign is "flexible funding" AKA "scammer's delight" (he gets to keep all money pledged no matter what, so he can run off with every cent regardless of whether it technically fails or not).

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
I can't imagine a better fit between designer and intended audience. Someone should feel insulted by that, but probably won't.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Guilty Spork posted:

I can't imagine a better fit between designer and intended audience. Someone should feel insulted by that, but probably won't.

We've reached the zenith of Desborough's work. Everything has been moving up to this point. His entire career has been getting towards this one, singular moment in history.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Wait, why would you want to create a game about a world that literally enslaves women that isn't about smashing Human-Trafficking World to bits?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So likeminded creeps can live out a variety of despicable fantasies.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, why would you want to create a game about a world that literally enslaves women that isn't about smashing Human-Trafficking World to bits?

Because he's a greasy edgelord who wears an ugly hat and thinks rape makes for an awesome plot device.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Because Desborough is a misogynistic shitstain.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
But I thought it was an excellent setting for children? :confused:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

So, are women going to be a playable race, or just part of the equipment list?*

*Not my joke, too good not to share.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Error 404 posted:

So, are women going to be a playable race, or just part of the equipment list?*

*Not my joke, too good not to share.

Both men and women can end up HHUUUUUUUAAAAAAGHHH Goreans, in their simplistic fashion, often contend, categorically, that man is naturally free and woman is naturally slave. But even for them the issues are far more complex than these simple formulations would suggest. For example, there is no higher person, nor one more respected, than the Gorean free woman. Goreans do believe, however, that every woman has a natural master or set of masters, with respect to whom she could not help but be a complete and passionate slave girl. These men occur in her dreams and fantasies. She lives in terror that she might meet one in real life.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BrainParasite posted:

Both men and women can end up HHUUUUUUUAAAAAAGHHH Goreans, in their simplistic fashion, often contend, categorically, that man is naturally free and woman is naturally slave. But even for them the issues are far more complex than these simple formulations would suggest. For example, there is no higher person, nor one more respected, than the Gorean free woman. Goreans do believe, however, that every woman has a natural master or set of masters, with respect to whom she could not help but be a complete and passionate slave girl. These men occur in her dreams and fantasies. She lives in terror that she might meet one in real life.

I feel gross after reading that.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
In celebration of this occasion, I'm going to go burn my copy of Tarnsman to Gor to ash like I should have a long time ago.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

quote:

It’s high time it got some of the recognition it deserved in the form of a tabletop role-playing game

Honestly, that is the kind of recognition Gor deserves.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lemon Curdistan posted:

For bonus scum points, his campaign is "flexible funding" AKA "scammer's delight" (he gets to keep all money pledged no matter what, so he can run off with every cent regardless of whether it technically fails or not).
There's no sign that he's got any rights at all to adapt John Norman's setting and stories, and I've heard that the dude is very litigious and protective of his moneymaker.

Can I announce that I'm doing a Harry Potter RPG and start collecting money for it?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

BrainParasite posted:

*whipcrack*

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THE HIDDEN WORLD

Earth could never know of Gor, the world always on the opposite side of the Sun. But Gor somehow knew about Earth, as Tarl Cabot soon discovered. Taken by force to that savage world, Cabot was forced to become a tarnsman - a warrior who could control the great war birds of Ko-ro-ba.

Gor was a world of slaves and beautiful women, of human domination by the alien, secret Priest-Kings. And it was also the world of Talena, tempestuous daughter of the greatest warlord of Gor. She waited for the man who could subdue her - the man who would be her master.

But was Tarl Cabot that man?

A Handful of Earth

My name is Tarl Cabot. The name is supposed to have been shortened in the fifteenth century from the Italian surname Caboto. As far as I know, however, I have no connection with the Venetian explorer who carried the banner of Henry VII to the New World. Such a connection seems unlikely for a number of reasons, among them, the fact that my people were simple tradesmen of Bristol, and uniformly fair-complexioned and topped with a blaze of the most outrageous red hair. Nonetheless, such coincidences, even if they are only geographical, linger in family memory - our small challenge to the ledgers and arithmetic of an existence measured in bolts of cloth sold. I like to think there may have been a Cabot in Bristol, one of us, who watched our Italian namesake weigh anchor in the early morning of that second of May, 1497.

TWENTIETH loving PRINTING

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

FMguru posted:

There's no sign that he's got any rights at all to adapt John Norman's setting and stories, and I've heard that the dude is very litigious and protective of his moneymaker.

Can I announce that I'm doing a Harry Potter RPG and start collecting money for it?

Nope. You technically can't do it for free, either, or write fanfic, or anything similar.
Well you can in the sense that you're physically capable of doing so (?), just not legally.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tulul posted:

In celebration of this occasion, I'm going to go burn my copy of Tarnsman to Gor to ash like I should have a long time ago.

Don't do that, book smoke is bad for the environment. Covers and binding glue and all that. Pulp it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FMguru posted:

He says he's doing the project in cooperation with Norman's US publisher, so he very probably does.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Don't do that, book smoke is bad for the environment. Covers and binding glue and all that. Pulp it.

Good point, I'll do that. I wish I could just travel back in time and tell my ten year old self to just go read some goddamn Barsoom instead, though.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Is there any possibility of this being a troll job? Like, when the book comes out, it'll be about how utterly stupid and broken Human Trafficking World is and how the PCs in the role of freedom fighters and mercenaries from Earth will break it to pieces? How does one see this concept and not see "this is a world ruled by villains, not one I want to be part of"?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You've seen Desborough's work, right?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

Is there any possibility of this being a troll job? Like, when the book comes out, it'll be about how utterly stupid and broken Human Trafficking World is and how the PCs in the role of freedom fighters and mercenaries from Earth will break it to pieces? How does one see this concept and not see "this is a world ruled by villains, not one I want to be part of"?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Davin Valkri posted:

Is your new thing asking rhetorical questions you already know the answers to? This is a guy who unironically writes things like "In Defense of Rape" and tentacle-rape card games.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's the truest representation of capitalism ever committed to flimsy card stock.

My biggest issue with Yu-Gi-Oh is that it has the cheapest production values I've ever seen from a major corporation. This game was designed to maximize profits and whip children into a foil Charizard level frenzy.

ALso it's really poorly designed and the balance is all hosed and really it is just an awful loving game and I hate it. Vanguard at least seems to be well designed even if I can't stand the physical cards.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Oh. Okay then.

It's only sorta rhetorical. I've had plenty of adolescent power fantasies. None of them involved dominating women or looking like a bodybuilder. Usually they involved storming the base of the bad guy who dominates women and looks like a bodybuilder while pulling John Woo moves and looking like Himura Kenshin. So I see stuff like this and my first thought is "this can't be serious, can it? This has to be a joke!"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm sure that Desborough's intentions here have less to do with giving Gor "the recognition it deserves" and more to do with "how can I, James Desborough, get as much attention as possible?" Not that I'm saying this is all just some big troll on his part or whatever so much as that I doubt creating the world's most amazing Gor RPG is really the primary goal here.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh. Okay then.

It's only sorta rhetorical. I've had plenty of adolescent power fantasies. None of them involved dominating women or looking like a bodybuilder. Usually they involved storming the base of the bad guy who dominates women and looks like a bodybuilder while pulling John Woo moves and looking like Himura Kenshin. So I see stuff like this and my first thought is "this can't be serious, can it? This has to be a joke!"

You're too good for this terrible hobby, Davin. Get out while you can, before you're jaded and broken like all of us.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Could be worse.

He could be developing a Gor LARP.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Literally The Worst posted:

ALso it's really poorly designed and the balance is all hosed and really it is just an awful loving game and I hate it. Vanguard at least seems to be well designed even if I can't stand the physical cards.

What makes the physical cards so bad? Anime art or just bad layout?

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh. Okay then.

Some people are just broken and horrible.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rockopolis posted:

Could be worse.

This already exists though.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Rockopolis posted:

Could be worse.

Stretch goal.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, I for one am hoping that everyone just ignores his existence. He put an entire section in about controversy that just screams "come on outrage brigade, come spank me, I've been a very bad boy!"

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Could be worse.

You can adapt NWoD as a LARP. Why not this?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Seriously, all I can think of is this.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kai Tave posted:

This already exists though.

Umm, excuse me. That is a life style. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I love sword & planet poo poo, but hate the whole idea of Gor. Is there anything innovative about the setting, beyond misogyny?

So one of my first jobs was a lovely call center gig. I was having lunch in the break room, reading fantasy, and the creepiest guy from my class starts asking if I've read Gor. Never heard of it before then, but Holy poo poo did this dude love the "women are chattel" bits. Went on and on about how great that is. He also told me he ran a huge Gor MUD, and then noticed I was ignoring him. But still, every time, he thought there was some sci-fi connection with that awful poo poo and whatever the gently caress I was reading.

And that's how I heard about Gor.

• Locked thread