Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So I think we can all agree now that it's good that The Legend of Korra got made, right?

I watched my first episode of Avatar a few months ago. Straight up, I think Korra season 3 is the best one in the entire franchise. Season 2 of TLA was mostly really great, but here it felt like they were truly pulling out all the stops - there was so much emotion and just a really satisfying arc with a phenomenal finish. Absolutely incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I like how P'li's head loving exploded.

:krad:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I was really hoping Ghazan would just be like "Bolin you're an okay dude, I don't want to kill you or your friends anymore. I give up." I just wanted him to live. :(

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Let's all take a moment to remember that Ghazan was the coolest one.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Yep. Poor Ghazan and Ming Hua. People are already jumping on the denial train.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rosalind posted:

To be fair, I do sexual health research for a living. I see sex, innuendo, and attraction everywhere now. I do really just want to see a children's cartoon character have a same sex relationship. I think society is ready. I know realistically that it's not actually a thing that is going to happen.

Deadpool, the finale is over. please nuke this thread now.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

This season was good and the finale was amazing.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ghazan always seemed like the most...light-hearted? out of the Red Lotus. Wish he could have been Bolin's teacher/mentor or something, but going out on "I'm not going back to prison!!" rang pretty drat true, considering how long they had everyone locked up.

Also, just stating the obvious that this finale was seriously on par with the ATLA finales while staying true to Korra's HULK SMASH style. Goddamn.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Pavlov posted:

I still kind of wish I knew how Raava worked. Tricking the Avatar into Avatar state made sense when we just thought it was an instinct, but knowing that the its the extension of a sentient being, it makes me wonder why Raava doesn't just say, "Nope, not happening," and thats that.

Whenever aang was in an emotionally unstable or life threatening situation, the avatar state kicked in to try to preserve his life.

Same thing

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Something I thought was interesting was that Korra's voice didn't have any reverb or distortion when she was in the Avatar state. Which kinda makes sense...she doesn't have access to those extra voices anymore.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Genocyber posted:

No it wasn't you loving weirdo. The stilted pause was to convey the awkwardness of trying to comfort a depressed and enfeebled person.

That was pretty hardcore queer baiting, sorry you can't see it.

The way L'Pi died was, with no sense of irony, rad as heck.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

^^^ It's good to see they are continuing the tradition of Finale moments that make me go "HOLY poo poo THIS IS A KID'S SHOW?"

Any word on when Season 4 might be out?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hot drat did things not work out for Korra. Twice in a row she's been saved by Jinora at the end of the line and those poison visions she got are probably haunting her dreams, and on top of that Jinora now literally looks exactly Avatar Aang. I seriously can't wait for the next book, looks like that's exactly what it'll build upon: Korra's feelings of being inadequate, which is a pretty neat message.

I'm not that well-read on my psychology, but there's four stages of a person's development, co-dependent rebelious group-dependent and independent, by switching the first two around you get a good idea of what drives Korra's actions in these three books (how in book 1 she always acts to challenge anyone imposing on her, on book 2 she always leans on someone's help [mako, unalaq, desperately searching for someone to lean on, Wan] and in book 3 we saw a lot of her delegating to team avatar) so if i'm not talking out of my rear end that means book 4 is when she tries and will finally succeed on being independent and the world figure she can be.

Really liked P'Li stuff (no the other stuff before that) just sweet seeing those two get sappy, i only wish Zaheer would've stood on his tiptoes for the kiss.

God this was great, but I need that next book right now. Holy poo poo wait, peole missing on seeing are: Zuko's Daughter and Toph. Not too farfetched to think Zuko's daughter dealt with some issues similar to Korra (the world demanding more of her than she knew how to give) at some point in her life, and Toph literally had parents that rejected her for not being what they expected. Toph's so gonna give the life-changing adventure Zuko didn't give her and poo poo's gonna blow up everywhere

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 22, 2014

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Don't know why you people are still using spoiler tags, the episode is up on the Nick website so gently caress this CIA document poo poo.

Episode loving rocked. One of the best episodes of the franchise, hands down. This whole season has had me totally pumped and yelling at the screen because rad poo poo keeps happening.

Also, can we all please remember that in addition to P'li blowing her own head off, Ming Hua getting fried like calamari, and Korra hulking out after Zaheer, near the beginning Tonraq straight up hauled his rear end up a mountain using only scythes of ice and his own strength? That was amazing.

There really is just too much to talk about all at once about this episode. It was just that mind-blowing. (Too soon?)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do feel kind of bad for Korra in that she didn't get a single unhindered fight for the bulk of the season, which makes sense but her final fights being "arms and legs literally bound" and "dying of mercury poisoning" are helluva handicaps.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

TheModernAmerican posted:

That was pretty hardcore queer baiting, sorry you can't see it.

The way L'Pi died was, with no sense of irony, rad as heck.

It didn't seem like queerbaiting to me either, people read way too much into everything.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Who waterbended these tears up here?

Seriously great finale, great cap to the season overall. Really hoping they can keep this level of quality up for season 4, or even maintain the upward trend.

Darkness5780
Apr 22, 2010

Sydin posted:

I like the red herring they had with Bolin learning to metalbend, and instead gave him lavabending. There are enough metal benders in the main cast that if Bolin learned he'd be "just another metalbender", whereas now he gets something unique and visually dynamic.

Also that shot where Mako drops down into the cave, lights a small flame and turns around to see Cthulhu Ming Hua lurking in the darkness was perfect.

I literally yelled "oh poo poo" when that happened.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think P'li is still alive. If you squint hard enough you can see a parachute off to the side.
...I hope someone gets that.

I've been down on the show as a whole but this season and finale were pretty great. I wish the core villains were still around, though. They had unique bending but never really received any growth or depth aside from Zaheer. I'd like for them to carry over to the next season and explore their backgrounds more.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Serella posted:

near the beginning Tonraq straight up hauled his rear end up a mountain using only scythes of ice and his own strength? That was amazing.

I really like Tonraq's bending style, it's just so kinetic compared to other waterbenders, even Korra. Season 2 was awful, but the Unalaq/Tonraq fight was one of the few high points.

Zedd posted:

- Bolin should have pinned down his opponent 1 on 1, Mako can still help him go for the desperation move but Bolin earned it.

I don't know. Mako only managed to win his fight because Ming Hua put herself in a position where Lightning was guaranteed to hit her. Bolin just learned he could lavabend and is probably not as good an earthbender as Ghazan either way. He fought a drat good fight and it looked pretty even until Mako showed up to tip the balance in Bolin's favor.

Also Bolin pretty much single-handedly saved Tenzin and co. at the air temple even before he figured out his new skill, which was pretty cool to watch.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I still think Bolin should've closed the door behind him so the lava kept going down the stairs, but oh well. Least he learned how to stop it, else he would have died a horrible, painful death.

You know, for kids!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Crosspeice posted:

I still think Bolin should've closed the door behind him so the lava kept going down the stairs, but oh well. Least he learned how to stop it, else he would have died a horrible, painful death.

You know, for kids!
The door was wooden.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Is there going to be another season still, because this poo poo's depressed me to no ends.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Liar posted:

Is there going to be another season still, because this poo poo's depressed me to no ends.

Yes, there will be a book 4. It was ordered at the same time as book 3. No, we don't know when it will start.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'll admit it, that finale had me a little teary eyed. Now for the agony of waiting to see if Season 4 gets released.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The door was wooden.

Whoops, should've specified, the new tunnel he made for everyone just before he lavabends. I thought he was gonna close it behind him and funnel it another way, down the stairs, but learning a new skill works also.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Of course watch Nick never air it. End this poo poo on an Animorphs note.

Crosspeice posted:

Whoops, should've specified, the new tunnel he made for everyone just before he lavabends. I thought he was gonna close it behind him and funnel it another way, down the stairs, but learning a new skill works also.

Bolin was sealing behind him but the lava was melting through it. It was melting the entire mountain. He couldn't stop it just by blocking it with a little rock.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So, uh, whatever happened to the spirit vines plot line from the beginning of the season?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VaultAggie posted:

So, uh, whatever happened to the spirit vines plot line from the beginning of the season?
Korra said at the end of the first episode of the season that "the vines are here to stay."

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
So, I'm just sayin...

I'm just sayin.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Korra said at the end of the first episode of the season that "the vines are here to stay."

No she didn't, a reporter asked if they were.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You know, with Korra already knowing metalbending and Bolin not having a knack for it (though that's obviously more his insecurity limiting him like usual thing) it'd be neat if he somehow figured out how Ghazan lavebends. He's half firebender, anyhow, and it'd make him more unique in the group and gives him something similar to Mako's lightningbending in that it's something Korra can't do.

It's much more likely he'll metalbend in a dire moment but, hey, fan speculation blah blah.

Hey, I got one right! :yaycloud:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

Further consequences of the spirit world merging with the physical world are likely to feature in book 4.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I was afraid that Korra's quiet was due to heavy neurological damage. Mercury's kind of infamous in Chinese history for that and other reasons.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was wondering myself if she'd come too close to death and the Avatar Spirit had left her for someone new.

Snodgrass Supreme
Nov 6, 2012
So why can the metalbenders bend mercury but not platinum? Did the writers just need to come up with unbendable handcuffs and picked platinum at random because chemically that doesn't really make any sense.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I can't say enough good things about that Finale. Just fantastic! The score was great. The fight between Korra and Zaheer being a mirror of the final fight between Aang and Ozai is dead on. I also like that we are seeing more and more variations of the styles in the bending. I don't mean just Lavabending, but more how different people approach air bending, water bending and such. Watching Ghazan and Bolin fight and seeing the differences with Bolin's short jabs and Ghazan's sweeping hand movements really just nails it for me.

I also dig that even with Korra being chained up in both her hands and feet, she is a capable opponent and even able to bend different elements.

This show has just completely turned around.

I'm also glad the Red Lotus are not gone/dealt with yet. Inequality in the Avatar universe is a really interesting subject. Amon wanted to get rid of all the Benders to get it. Unalaq wanted to become a Dark Avatar in the name of Equality (still kind of dumb to me even now). Zaheer's "No Gods No Masters" creed is also interesting considering the number of characters we follow who are Royalty or its equivalent. I've been watching my way through the first season of the Last Airbender and I forgot that Non Benders certainly give the characters a run for their money. The Pirates and the Archers are real threats, albeit armed with weapons that cannot strike home on a kid's show. I know the Equalists were strong, but it felt like it was more Amon than anything else. I'd really like to see Non Benders get a bit more screen time, or be a bit more of a threat.

Who knows what the fourth season will bring, but I'd love to see it try to address it more.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 22, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Snodgrass Supreme posted:

So why can the metalbenders bend mercury but not platinum? Did the writers just need to come up with unbendable handcuffs and picked platinum at random because chemically that doesn't really make any sense.

The idea is that all other metals have at least some "earth" in them, which Metalbenders use as a focal point; platinum apparently doesn't have enough earth in it to be bent.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

They say at the end of 12 and start of 13 both "it's platinum so you can't bend it!" and "unless someone taught you how to bend it you can't" so I think it's safe to assume it COULD be bent, it's just difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Did the writers just need to come up with unbendable handcuffs and picked platinum at random

Yeah.

• Locked thread