Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Tenzarin posted:

Maybe when he shot Brown, all those shots were actually warning shots and he walked into them. See warning shots are dangerous!

Uhh, ok then, you didn't like what some of us posted about warning shots, that's nice and all but maybe you're overdoing it? No offense but you're coming off as a bit petulant, esp. since you've posted the same kind of stuff four+ times now.

TrixR4kids posted:

I get that, but they never say who in law enforcement or name a source which makes me a little skeptical.

I see what you mean. On one hand it is perfectly standard to anonymize informants and interviewees in cases where there's great controversy, personal shame or a risk of people getting retaliated against.

On the other, seeing that the police and the media have pushed complete bullshit to the fore like it was true (Wilson getting punched by Brown so hard that he had an orbital fracture, a total fabrication, springs to mind), a slew of 'anonymous sources' making claims about this and that that often seems to attempt to push the narrative in the favor of the police doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the authenticity of these claims.

Like, the whole 'Brown bullrushed Wilson, he had to shoot him!!' narrative comes from Wilson's wife, who (iirc) told it to another person who then called it in, and this caller was used as a reliable source for a while. Hell, Brown as a bullrushing menace is probably still being cited as the reason for his death all over Reddit and Facebook and poo poo.

That and tons of other spurious claims have helped muddy the waters and make finding out what really happened that much harder, and has really hosed up the dialogue about the encounter on a global basis, just like when Zimmermann shot Trayvon Martin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder what you can see from security cameras 1,2,4 and 5. Surely there's footage of the actual transaction.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Exactly. This claim seems reasonable due to it matching the stories of three or four eyewitnesses bit it'd be nice to know whether there's any merit to it or not given how many bogus claims we've seen. The orbital bone fracture makes no sense for a number of reasons (YouTube vid, seemingly bogus or biased sources, likely wouldn't have held he info for this long).

So yeah, as much as I think Wilson was likel negligent in his handling of he situation, there just isn't a whole lot to go by.

Edit: was responding to Murphy

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 22, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Wow the only thing that's really solid so far is the witnesses and witness testimony doesn't carry as much weight here,gently caress if dude walks....I don't even know.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

Wow the only thing that's really solid so far is the witnesses and witness testimony doesn't carry as much weight here,gently caress if dude walks....I don't even know.

I always kinda figured he would walk. Like others said, 1080p recording isn't enough in some instances.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

That PR firm wrote the incident reports, right?

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

quote:

Sharpton Is Right: Racism Is Rampant

Perhaps it’s time to finally concede that Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and their fellow civil-rights crusaders have apparently been correct all along: There is indeed a whole lot of racism in America that just won’t go away. It may be time to admit that Sharpton is justified in so passionately condemning the recent police “execution” of Michael Brown in Missouri—calling it a “defining moment” for our country, a moment where the nation itself, with all its weighty, racist baggage, “is on trial.”

The numbers, after all, don’t lie. During the most recent five-year period for which single-offender, interracial crime statistics are available, whites committed, on average, 65,923 assaults annually against black victims.[1] To frame it another way, 33.5 of every 100,000 whites in the U.S. assaulted a black victim at some point during each of those five years.

Oh, sure, the nitpickers will point out that during the same five-year period, blacks in the U.S. committed, on average, some 327,900 assaults annually against whites—meaning that about 898 of every 100,000 blacks nationwide assaulted a white victim at some point each year. In other words, statistically the average black was nearly 27 times more likely to assault a white, than vice versa—898 versus 33.5 (out of every 100,000).

But therein is the heart of the problem, though you may have missed it: The white-on-black assault rate may be low, but it isn’t absolute zero. And as our modern-day civil rights leaders dutifully teach us, anything more than zero means, ultimately, that “we still have a long way to go” before we can finally get past our country’s “troubled racial past.” Any white-on-black incident—however rare it may be—automatically becomes the exception that proves the rule. Get it?

We find similar bountiful evidence of white racism in other statistics as well. During the same five-year period, whites committed, on average, 2,738 robberies annually against black victims. In other words, about 1.4 out of every 100,000 whites in the U.S. robbed a black victim each year.

Meanwhile, 70,302 blacks annually robbed white victims—a rate of 192.4 per 100,000. Statistically the average black was 137 times more likely to rob interracially than the average white—192.4 versus 1.4 (out of every 100,000).[2]

Once again, we must bear in mind that any white-on-black crime total exceeding zero means that the hearts of too many whites still percolate with secret, racist longings to return to “the good-ol’ days” of lynchings and Jim Crow. Make sense?

But if you really want your blood to boil, consider the stats on interracial sex crimes. During the same five-year period, black offenders were responsible for about 22,980 actual and threatened sexual assaults annually against white victims. By contrast, the number of white-on-black incidents of the same description were so infinitesimal that, in each of those five years, whites were estimated to have accounted for 0.0% of all sexual assaults—actual or threatened—against black victims in the United States.

Such a statistic, of course, runs the dangerous risk of persuading shallow thinkers to wrongly conclude that maybe America’s streets and alleyways aren’t filled with hordes of white racists poised to abuse black women whenever they get an opportunity. But thankfully, we have deep thinkers and keen-eyed social critics like Al Sharpton to shine the light of truth on white sex offenders, even where a white-dominated criminal-justice apparatus turns a blind eye.

Remember, for instance, how Sharpton helped us all become aware of Tawana Brawley’s brutal gang-rape at the hands of white supremacists in 1987? Oh sure, the nitpickers again will moan that the whole thing was one big lie. But don’t ever forget: The only thing that prevented young Tawana from actually being raped by a pack of Klansmen was the fact that … well, no one raped her or even attempted to. But apart from that, everything Sharpton said about the case was true.

We must also thank Mr. Sharpton for having alerted us all to the horrors of the “rich white boys” on the Duke University lacrosse team who gang-raped a black stripper in 2006. Sure, it turned out to be another hoax that dragged several innocent young men through a cesspool of pain and public humiliation—but hey, the noble quest for racial justice is bound to spit out a few collateral victims every now and then. No omelet can be made without breaking an egg or two.

Murder stats likewise bring into stark relief the white racism that continues to infest our nation. In 2012, for example, 6,454 blacks in the U.S. were victims of homicide. Some 91% of those were killed by other blacks, and 9% were killed by everybody else, including whites. It’s unlikely that whites were responsible for any more than about 3% of all black deaths by homicide. But these were the most significant and troubling 3%, don’t ya know? The other 97% of victims can all rot in their graves, but these—ah, these—were the cream of the crop, just like Michael Brown.

In light of the numbers cited above, perhaps you can find it in your heart to be sympathetic to Al, Jesse, and similar proverbial skunks who are forever seeking out the next picnic where they can show up and spray the potato salad. They have to make the most of Ferguson, you see, because golden opportunities like that just don’t come around very often.

FOOTNOTES:

[1] All statistics are from Criminal Victimization in the United States, published annually by the Department of Justice Statistics.

[2] These assault and robbery statistics do not necessarily prove that black offenders are specifically targeting white victims. One reason why the multiples are so high (27:1 and 137:1) is because there are 5.4 times as many whites as blacks in the U.S. In other words, blacks, in course of their daily travels, are 5.4 times more likely to encounter whites—and thus, potential white vicims—than to encounter other blacks (and potential black victims). To correct for this difference in the respective sizes of America’s white and black populations, we must divide each of the multiples by 5.4. In the case of assaults, the 27:1 ratio becomes 5:1, meaning that the average black offender is 5 times more likely to choose a white victim, than a white offender is likely to choose a black victim. And in the case of robbery, the 137:1 ratio becomes 25.4:1, meaning that the average black offender is 25.4 times more likely to choose a white victim, than a white offender is likely to choose a black victim.

Let the fireworks in D&D begin.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'll take institutional racism for $100, Alex.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Are we just emptyquoting random tea party blogs now?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

TrixR4kids posted:

I get that, but they never say who in law enforcement or name a source which makes me a little skeptical.
It's an article in the New York Times, not a blog or opinion piece.

The NYT is one of our three newspapers of record (The LATimes & WaPo are the other two). They generally don't gently caress up too badly (they usually issue retractions if they do) and are referenced in journals and poo poo as a primary source (or secondary depending on the article). They are consistently good reporting.

If they say that's what happened, there's a drat good chance that that's what happened.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 23, 2014

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Uh yeah if I'm gonna rob someone they're gonna be white, white people have nicer stuff.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

No one could really write an argument so willfully stupid, right? Right?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Yeah so long as whites are 5x richer on average, or on average placed in the care of 5x the money, it totally makes sense to target them 5x as much on top of other biases. A robber isn't a fool incapable of math. Like I really don't get the argument here: "Ha, I addressed the sampling bias of there being MORE whites, so no sampling biases remain!"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kaytwo posted:

We must also thank Mr. Sharpton for having alerted us all to the horrors of the “rich white boys” on the Duke University lacrosse team who gang-raped a black stripper in 2006. Sure, it turned out to be another hoax that dragged several innocent young men through a cesspool of pain and public humiliation—but hey, the noble quest for racial justice is bound to spit out a few collateral victims every now and then. No omelet can be made without breaking an egg or two.

Great morals in the quest for racial justice is shaming one side of the argument. :bravo:

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 23, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I wonder if the guy writing that article considered how institutional racism intended to prevent blacks from excelling and achieving success in life may result in greater poverty among blacks, which (combined with a general disdain for the poor among the people who write laws) in turn results in a greater proportion turning to crime to sustain themselves and out of bitterness against a system stacked against them from the start?

.....nah.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

It's an article in the New York Times, not a blog or opinion piece.

The NYT is one of our three newspapers of record (The LATimes & WaPo are the other two). They generally don't gently caress up too badly (they usually issue retractions if they do) and are referenced in journals and poo poo as a primary source (or secondary depending on the article). They are consistently good reporting.

If they say that's what happened, there's a drat good chance that that's what happened.

Yeah not saying I doubt it, but I just wish we had more to go by. Like by law enforcement do they mean FPD or he Feds r what? It's not all that clear.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 23, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

chitoryu12 posted:

I wonder if the guy writing that article considered how institutional racism intended to prevent blacks from excelling and achieving success in life may result in greater poverty among blacks, which (combined with a general disdain for the poor among the people who write laws) in turn results in a greater proportion turning to crime to sustain themselves and out of bitterness against a system stacked against them from the start?

.....nah.

The best part is the writer discredits their entire article at the bottom by pointing out the reasons the numbers are so skewed is because black and white populations don't have much contact.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kaytwo posted:

Oh, sure, the nitpickers will point out that during the same five-year period, blacks in the U.S. committed, on average, some 327,900 assaults annually against whites—meaning that about 898 of every 100,000 blacks nationwide assaulted a white victim at some point each year. In other words, statistically the average black was nearly 27 times more likely to assault a white, than vice versa—898 versus 33.5 (out of every 100,000).

The author didn't show their work, but I'm fairly sure you don't just divide crimes by population and leave it at that, especially when you shift from number of crimes to number of criminals. A few really violent people would make the whole population seem more violent, which is an important thing to leave out if you're trying to prove number of criminals based on number of crimes.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
"criminals turn to crime to sustain themselves" is something that comes up pretty frequently in D&D and I'd like to see someone post some statistics about it, because I'm pretty sure it's bullshit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Are we just emptyquoting random tea party blogs now?

That guy is the resident gbs white supremacist so ask him.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

-Troika- posted:

"criminals turn to crime to sustain themselves" is something that comes up pretty frequently in D&D and I'd like to see someone post some statistics about it, because I'm pretty sure it's bullshit.

There are a lot of different types of crime, hope this helps

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
From the St.Louis Post Dispatch. Grand jury in Michael Brown case: 3 black members, 9 white.

quote:

The demographics roughly reflect the racial breakdown of St. Louis County's population, which is about 24 percent black and about 68 percent white.

The grand jury's term began in May, long before Brown was shot. Its term was set to end in early September, but will likely be extended so the same grand jury can continue to hear evidence in the Brown shooting case, which may last into October, according to St. Louis County Prosecutor Robert P. McCulloch.

Grand Juries serve much longer terms than average juries so, they tend to be comprised of older citizens, sometimes retired, who can afford to devote the time necessary to serve on the Grand Jury.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Tenzarin posted:

Great morals in the quest for racial justice is shaming one side of the argument. :bravo:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The author didn't show their work, but I'm fairly sure you don't just divide crimes by population and leave it at that, especially when you shift from number of crimes to number of criminals. A few really violent people would make the whole population seem more violent, which is an important thing to leave out if you're trying to prove number of criminals based on number of crimes.

:troll:'d hard lol

Also cute how you quoted that poo poo as if I wrote it lmao

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Is every one of the cops in St Louis racist shits?
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/officer-who-pushed-don-lemon-relieved-of-duty-after-racist-rant-emerges/
I mean for gently caress's sake, can they not hide it a bit better?

quote:

The same St. Louis police officer who was seen on CNN earlier this week pushing Don Lemon back during a live broadcast from Ferguson, Missouri, has been relieved of his duty after video emerged of an hour-long speech he delivered railing against African-Americans, the LGBT community and President Barack Obama. CNN reported the news about Officer Dan Page, who made the controversial remarks at an Oath Keepers meeting just months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFtXG4fC5A

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kaytwo posted:

During the most recent five-year period for which single-offender, interracial crime statistics are available

I'm curious about this, and the overall methodology. From a cursory examination of the Bureau of Justice report for 2008, it says in chart 42 that of all violent crimes perpetrated against whites, 67.4% where by other whites, and 15.4% by blacks; and for those against blacks, 15.9% where perpetrated by whites and 64.7 by blacks. So, blacks are slightly more likely to be victims of violent crimes by whites than the reverse.

Yet this chart also has numerous places where it says the statistics are based on a sample size of 10 or fewer? So I'd say maybe the sourcing here isn't greattttttttt. Big surprise.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

.....nah.

Aside from that, that theft or other injuries against black people tends to be considered justified by the system. If we look at statistics like, "how many black physicians let syphilis run its course in white patients vs the reverse." Or fines black people pay vs white people who committed the same crimes. Or money wrongfully but legally taken from blacks vs whites via civil forfeiture. Or any of the legion of reasons that a poor white person is far more likely to have money somewhere in their extended family than a poor black person is

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

-Troika- posted:

uh...why do you think that's bullshit exactly?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I've reread the relevant bit a few times in disbelief but this idiot seriously wrote that in the last 5 years of acted or threatened sexual assault against black people 0.0% of it was by white people.

I hope I'm misreading that because gently caress me how can that bullshit get printed?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Hi... I got lost and ended up in gbs.. is this where we can think and have rational discourse and poo poo?

without loving racewar boners?

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
"The numbers, after all, don’t lie."

Interesting statement, seeing as though the whole article doesn't spell out how it operationalizes the variables "crime", "violent crime", and "sexual offense".

Like, I doubt if this guy actually went through most of the numbers too carefully to make his point, but say you have an agenda, like, perhaps, an intense dislike of civil rights and black people. You could do very well for yourself by cherrypicking statistics that seemingly back up your points but don't reflect the reality you are trying to construct.

Say that those 30.000 white on black crimes were very serious, violent crimes, conveniently omitting all the less serious offenses whites inflict on blacks in a five year period.

Then you take a holistic, broadly-defined concept of crimes committed by blacks against whites, including robbery, assault, looking at funny, being black in the vicinity of, etc., and plot it into the same series as the previous one.

Voila, you have just lied, using numbers.

-Troika- posted:

No one in the history of humanity ever stole any food or money in order to eat it or use it on food to stave off starvation. I'd like to see someone post some statistics about it, because I'm pretty sure it's bullshit.

murphyslaw fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 23, 2014

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Vitamin P posted:

I've reread the relevant bit a few times in disbelief but this idiot seriously wrote that in the last 5 years of acted or threatened sexual assault against black people 0.0% of it was by white people.

I hope I'm misreading that because gently caress me how can that bullshit get printed?

The report I was looking at had that in a lot of places, but with the asterisk saying it was based on a sample size of <10.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

nthalp posted:

Hi... I got lost and ended up in gbs.. is this where we can think and have rational discourse and poo poo?

without loving racewar boners?

no you want a discussion with actual living people that's not on the internet

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

Probably the same way a Very Serious NPR story about Social Security Disability took its primary pool of anecdotes from a poor, mostly black county in the south. Then proceeded to make every single one that was about a black person come across as "lazy rear end in a top hat exploiting the system" and the single positive anecdote about a white person. And printing the words of an old, white judge in the county as though they were free from any possible bias on the issue.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ernie Muppari posted:

no you want a discussion with actual living people that's not on the internet

so far... no.. not in like the outer world.. no intelligent life there

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lyesh posted:

Probably the same way a Very Serious NPR story about Social Security Disability took its primary pool of anecdotes from a poor, mostly black county in the south. Then proceeded to make every single one that was about a black person come across as "lazy rear end in a top hat exploiting the system" and the single positive anecdote about a white person. And printing the words of an old, white judge in the county as though they were free from any possible bias on the issue.

That was a joint This American Life - Planet Money abortion. They used almost the exact same audio clips except Ira Glass edited his to be more Ira Glassy and Planet Money edited theirs to be more gently caress the poor.

Ira Glass stood by his factually incorrect story because Ira Glass is a douche.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

nthalp posted:

so far... no.. not in like the outer world.. no intelligent life there

yeah in that case you're pretty much out of luck then :shrug:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

murphyslaw posted:

Like, the whole 'Brown bullrushed Wilson, he had to shoot him!!' narrative comes from Wilson's wife, who (iirc) told it to another person who then called it in, and this caller was used as a reliable source for a while.
This is so ridiculous to me. I don't understand how Wilson has become his own corroborating witness.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is so ridiculous to me. I don't understand how Wilson has become his own corroborating witness.

Racists / cop apologists and their willingness to believe only what they think should be true.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Kaytwo posted:

David Horowitz was one of the founders of the New Left in the 1960s and an editor of its largest magazine, Ramparts. He is the author, with Peter Collier, of three best selling dynastic biographies: The Rockefellers: An American Dynasty (1976); The Kennedys: An American Dream (1984); and The Fords: An American Epic (1987). Looking back in anger at their days in the New Left, he and Collier wrote Destructive Generation (1989), a chronicle of their second thoughts about the 60s that has been compared to Whittaker Chambers’ Witness and other classic works documenting a break from totalitarianism. Horowitz examined this subject more closely in Radical Son (1996), a memoir tracing his odyssey from “red-diaper baby” to conservative activist that George Gilder described as “the first great autobiography of his generation.” His latest book is Take No Prisoners: The Battle Plan for Defeating the Left (Regnery Publishing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaytwo posted:

100% of all nazis and neonazis have been white.

• Locked thread