Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Snodgrass Supreme posted:

So why can the metalbenders bend mercury but not platinum? Did the writers just need to come up with unbendable handcuffs and picked platinum at random because chemically that doesn't really make any sense.

It's from season 1 of Korra. Asami's dad made his mechs out of platinum so they couldn't be metalbent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Je suis fatigue posted:

They say at the end of 12 and start of 13 both "it's platinum so you can't bend it!" and "unless someone taught you how to bend it you can't" so I think it's safe to assume it COULD be bent, it's just difficult.
Hiroshi says to Lin in Book 1 "Not even your esteemed mother could bend this wall of solid platinum" so it's basically considered an impossible level of metalbending.
Then again, even the incredibly scholarly Tenzin had assumed that Laghima's flight was just mythology until he heard that Zaheer had done it.

Peewi posted:

No she didn't, a reporter asked if they were.
Nope, watch the conversation between her and the President on the bridge again. It's right after Tenzin tells her "there's no going back to the past" which leads to her to decide that the vines should stay.

Rand Brittain posted:

I was wondering myself if she'd come too close to death and the Avatar Spirit had left her for someone new.
1. We don't need spoiler tags anymore (for a LONG time) and 2. Aang was basically dead and the Avatar Spirit still stayed with him.

Also I can't believe that ZaheerForThePeople guy totally played us all and made us think some dumb body possession thing was going to happen.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Ugh, Red Lotus were planning this ritual poison bullshit for kid-Korra :stare:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also I can't believe that ZaheerForThePeople guy totally played us all and made us think some dumb body possession thing was going to happen.

I don't know. There was something really eerie and mysterious about that hoax excerpt, so I was hoping the writers had come up with a similarly spooky master plan for the villains.

On one hand, I think it's great that they gave us an ending that was free of deus ex machina supernatural poo poo, after what happened with season 2.

But I also really wish they had gone with the spooky spirit possession in some non-clichéd way. Something like that would have probably given us plenty more to talk about and think about than this finale will.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
it's unfortunate that korra has mercury poisoning or whatever but at least there'll be a few months where no one in the avatar universe gets raped

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Jackard posted:

Ugh, Red Lotus were planning this ritual poison bullshit for kid-Korra :stare:

No they were planning something different for Kid-Korra. She was going to be their ace-in-the-hole.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

raspy trashfucker posted:

it's unfortunate that korra has mercury poisoning or whatever but at least there'll be a few months where no one in the avatar universe gets raped

What.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The gently caress?

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I think I remember that that guy just trolls and threadshits wherever he goes

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's called low effort threadshitting dumbasses.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
He got probated earlier in the thread for some bizarre rape non sequitur.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Oh, it occurred to me why they would throw in a couple scenes with that Metal Clan woman: someone has to take over Zaofu when Suyin goes to assume leadership of Ba Sing Se.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
What makes you think Suyin will become earth queen or whatever?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Hauldren Collider posted:

This, the Bei Fong family was rich, but they weren't royalty or anything.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Bongo Bill posted:

Yes, there will be a book 4. It was ordered at the same time as book 3. No, we don't know when it will start.

And according to this podcast Book 4 is well into post-production, so at least we can hope that it will be with us soon.

Also, although everything that I wanted to say about this season and the finale has already been said, namely that it was great and maybe the best of the entire Avatar franchise, I thought I'd chime to add that the animation this season has been phenomenal. Moments from the finale that really struck me as stellar were the facial expressions, mainly of Zaheer and all the faces when Bolin pushes Suyin out of the way to hug Opal, the long take in the middle of the Zaheer/Korra fight which follows Zaheer and then Korra from close behind and the cool "camera" move in the Mako/Ming-Hua fight that follows Ming-Hua as she dodges back and forth behind a pillar.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Wildeyes posted:

I don't know. There was something really eerie and mysterious about that hoax excerpt, so I was hoping the writers had come up with a similarly spooky master plan for the villains.

On one hand, I think it's great that they gave us an ending that was free of deus ex machina supernatural poo poo, after what happened with season 2.

But I also really wish they had gone with the spooky spirit possession in some non-clichéd way. Something like that would have probably given us plenty more to talk about and think about than this finale will.
Nah, we still have plenty to talk about. Example:
The fact that they explicitly called attention to the fact that every villain in Korra has been about "destroying the Avatar" makes me have a lot more faith in the idea that Book 4 is going to tie everything together thematically. Considering Korra's massive character backslide at the start of Book 2, Book 1 has always felt very separate from the rest of Korra, without a real overarching story/conflict to bridge the gap.
The original series followed the template of the original Star Wars trilogy, while Korra has always been fundamentally different, for good and bad. Just seeing Amon again and explicitly tying him thematically to everything else in the series gives me real hope that Book 4 of Korra is where we see this all come together in an amazing way, even if it wasn't all planned out ahead of time because come on that's not how TV is made.

I just wish a bunch of people who gave up on Korra after Book One/Two were here to see this.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
This season and the finale were so good I really want an Avatar avatar now. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions of what would make good ones from the finale?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

This season and the finale were so good I really want an Avatar avatar now. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions of what would make good ones from the finale?

Depressed Korra with the text "I hate Mondays."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Also it's cool that they can use the word "killed" as long as the person they're saying about is still alive.
Never mind that Korra, Zaheer, and everyone else in the room believe Tonraq to have been murdered. That doesn't matter.
Censorship is weird.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

korra is a rapist

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

He got probated earlier in the thread for some bizarre rape non sequitur.

the mods are trying to whitewash korra's past just because she's the avatar

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It's going to be really hard playing the Platinum game knowing what happens at the end of Book 3.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

raspy trashfucker posted:

korra is a rapist

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

I'm saying they won't have a queen anymore. They'll transition into a democracy.

Electing Suyin, who is leader of an Earth Kingdom city, is like having a governor get elected president. Which happens.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I dunno if that'd be a good thing though. I've always gotten weird totalitarian vibes from Suyin given the way the Metal Clan city is run.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

nutranurse posted:

I dunno if that'd be a good thing though. I've always gotten weird totalitarian vibes from Suyin given the way the Metal Clan city is run.

Does Suyin have Toph and Lin's truthbending sense?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Wildeyes posted:

I'm saying they won't have a queen anymore. They'll transition into a democracy.

Electing Suyin, who is leader of an Earth Kingdom city, is like having a governor get elected president. Which happens.
If anything there will probably be fracturing of the Earth Kingdom since isn't it pretty large?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Does Suyin have Toph and Lin's truthbending sense?

No.

achillesforever6 posted:

If anything there will probably be fracturing of the Earth Kingdom since isn't it pretty large?

I always got the impression that Omashu is basically an autonomous province.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also it's cool that they can use the word "killed" as long as the person they're saying about is still alive.
Never mind that Korra, Zaheer, and everyone else in the room believe Tonraq to have been murdered. That doesn't matter.
Censorship is weird.

Then again, Zaheer said P'Li "gave her life for the cause" well after it was clear she wasn't coming back, so hey! :v:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

No.

I always got the impression that Omashu is basically an autonomous province.

Yeah, I'd've been surprised to find out they paid any sort of taxes or whatnot to the Earth Queen. Considering it was never mentioned, I doubt they do.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty traumatised. Mind you, I saw the end of AtlA book 2 after starting to watch the show in season 3. That was brutal.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jorghnassen posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty traumatised. Mind you, I saw the end of AtlA book 2 after starting to watch the show in season 3. That was brutal.
The good kind of traumatized though, right? Not the bad kind we got after Book 1's finale.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
You know, honestly I actually didn't mind Book 1's finale at all. Not sure why everyone hates on it so much. Yeah there was some missed opportunity but all in all I think it worked out. Season 2 was a poo poo show though.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I think Book 1's finale might be fine if you binge-watched the season. But fans had way too much time to speculate on Amon's motives and how he could take bending away (I heard some wacky poo poo, like he was Koh the Face Stealer or some lost Avatar), so the answer ended up being pretty disappointing.

Even setting that aside, there's no comparing the fight scenes in Book 1 to the ones we saw in Book 3. Fights involving lots of non-benders in an urban environment (with very little water) are doomed to be dull.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 22, 2014

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
That finale was incredible. Part of me hopes Ghazan faked his death and goes to live quietly under another identity somewhere in the Earth Kingdom (maybe Ming-Hua too but she seemed a little too batshit crazy).

Rosalind posted:

I mean that scene almost had to be intentional. "If you want to talk... or anything" as Asami holds Korra's hand after dressing her. I know I'm a pervert who sees innuendo everywhere, but that's got to be intentional.

Why are there always so many creepy idiots in the Korra threads. Do you remember that person who said the show was clearly showing hentai and tentacle rape influences after the season 2 premiere?

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The good kind of traumatized though, right? Not the bad kind we got after Book 1's finale.

The Crossroads of Destiny kind (though I hear some people were going apeshit about Zuko's betrayal, in my case it's just the equivalent of "Aang shot by lightning through the back" sort of deal). Book 1 season finale I had little problem with.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

:lol:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Snodgrass Supreme posted:

So why can the metalbenders bend mercury but not platinum? Did the writers just need to come up with unbendable handcuffs and picked platinum at random because chemically that doesn't really make any sense.

Metalbending seems to be more effective the more reactive the metal is. Platinum is one of the least reactive things out there along with gold, but having everything be gold would just remind people of Deus EX Human Revolution or something.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Didn't they explain it as platinum lacking the impurities that metalbenders need to metalbend?

I don't actually know anything about the composition of platinum, but I think that's what was said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I do feel kind of bad for Korra in that she didn't get a single unhindered fight for the bulk of the season, which makes sense but her final fights being "arms and legs literally bound" and "dying of mercury poisoning" are helluva handicaps.

Yeah, though I also think it was really cool how Zahir went out of his way to ensure that Korra didn't get a chance at a fair fight. That's some smart villainy right there.

Airbending tornado blew my mind because this is the first time in the entire series we've had an opportunity to see some true master level group airbending. That and Jinora looking just like Aang were my favorite moments of this finale.

I'm so glad LoK finally got a season that was completely great in every way.

• Locked thread