Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Has he talked about this news on the podcast recently? I've been skipping some of them.

The one on one with William Shatner today was good though. Shatner turns it around and is basically interviewing Carolla a couple times, the dude is really quick. I had no idea he's now 83.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The William Shatner episode is the first I've listened to in a while, too. He hasn't really talked about it too much on Ace On The House, which is still a great show and I never miss an episode. He's replaced his commercials asking for money with a bit about how he has them on the ropes and has switched the revenue stream to the Amazon banner.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I had no idea he's now 83.
Yeah, I'd have a really tough time placing the date of that interview by the sound of his voice. He could definitely do VO work as movie-era Captain Kirk. Watching him on TV lately he seems very different, and has seemed a little dulled on shows like Craig Ferguson. But in this interview, he sounded very young.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

beanieson posted:

It would be awesome if he could sue for legal fees and somehow refund everyone's money, but I doubt they were able to keep track of that many donations. If he did counter use he'd probably donate it all to the catholic big brothers, or just buy another Lamborghini.

Adam has recently said any money left will be donated to charity.

He mentioned big brothers, big sisters, pediatric brain tumor foundation and march of dimes.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone listened to the recent Dr. Spaz ep of Drew's podcast? Worth the hour?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So Adams twins sleep in the same room and the same bed, according to a recent one...I anxiously await Natalias tell all book in 10 years. Giant house? One bedroom...

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

ChaosMonkey posted:

Anyone listened to the recent Dr. Spaz ep of Drew's podcast? Worth the hour?

It was okay, nothing special, nothing terrible. Getting a little tired of hearing Drew boo hoo about Dr. Oz being tricked into saying untrue things by the entertainment industry.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Medullah posted:

So Adams twins sleep in the same room and the same bed, according to a recent one...I anxiously await Natalias tell all book in 10 years. Giant house? One bedroom...

By choice or....?

Its not that weird, especially for twins I would imagine. I have two sons, 6 and 9, and they love sleeping anywhere that isn't their own bed..

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cyberball 2072 posted:

It was okay, nothing special, nothing terrible. Getting a little tired of hearing Drew boo hoo about Dr. Oz being tricked into saying untrue things by the entertainment industry.

Has Drew ever acknowledged Doug Stanhope's problem with people like Drew and Dr.Oz?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Has Drew ever acknowledged Doug Stanhope's problem with people like Drew and Dr.Oz?
Well, he's addressed it on the topic of addiction and treatment many times (on which Drew is much more in the right, by the way). I don't know if Stanhope has a take on lovely medical infotainment/commercials but yeah I would guess Stanhope is much more in the right there.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

It was terrible even the first time. Drew can be such a chickenshit when the subject veers towards people/industries who could give him a paycheck or exposure and things he's afraid of happening to him, though here he's so wrong it's almost more brave than it is cowardly.

edit: Koppelman (most recent guest) went at this kind of headlong. I couldn't tell if Adam (who was saying "thank you guest" in kind of a freighted way) was pissed that the guest was taking Drew to task or glad that the guest was saying something Adam had told Drew himself.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 12, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They've done a show together.

http://drdrew.com/071-doug-stanhope/

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Medullah posted:

I thought he said they have bunk beds, but they like to both sleep on the bottom bunk.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Grant DaNasty posted:

I thought he said they have bunk beds, but they like to both sleep on the bottom bunk.

Yeah, that was it. Still - one room for both kids?

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

pangstrom posted:

edit: Koppelman (most recent guest) went at this kind of headlong. I couldn't tell if Adam (who was saying "thank you guest" in kind of a freighted way) was pissed that the guest was taking Drew to task or glad that the guest was saying something Adam had told Drew himself.
You could LITERALLY hear Adam pouting silently while Drew and Guest were talking.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah, that was it. Still - one room for both kids?

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever seen someone harp on about. They are children.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
http://np.reddit.com/r/AdamCarolla/comments/2c6yfe/there_may_be_a_mole_in_our_midst_the_curious_case/

So here's something interesting: One of the people at Personal Audio, LLC had to go and make a fake account on Reddit and pose as a Carolla fan in order to attempt to astroturf some anti-lawsuit opinion. They really, really fear the possibility of this going forward.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Apoplexy posted:

http://np.reddit.com/r/AdamCarolla/comments/2c6yfe/there_may_be_a_mole_in_our_midst_the_curious_case/

So here's something interesting: One of the people at Personal Audio, LLC had to go and make a fake account on Reddit and pose as a Carolla fan in order to attempt to astroturf some anti-lawsuit opinion. They really, really fear the possibility of this going forward.
If this is true then AHAHAHAHA. I hope these guys continue to backpedal right into a deep pit and get buried in it.

Looks like it's not for certain but the facts are adding up. lovely generic user name, Reddit user for 1 month, posting a lot about the details of the lawsuit. It's a little weird that there's old podcast and Loveline references in some of the posts, and bringing up Donny, but I'd imagine they would have done their homework on things like that.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

My god, Whitney Cummings has a huge chip on her shoulder. Having trouble getting through this one.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Oliver died, and it was a hard listen, but if you're interested Alison somehow keeps her poo poo together and it was a good conversation. On the Taleeb Starks one.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Veskit posted:

Oliver died, and it was a hard listen, but if you're interested Alison somehow keeps her poo poo together and it was a good conversation. On the Taleeb Starks one.

That was extremely sad. I wish the other dog owner could be forced to listen to it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That really sucks. I was just about to post that I think Alison has been really good on the show lately even if Adam barely acknowledges her jokes.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Chinook posted:

My god, Whitney Cummings has a huge chip on her shoulder. Having trouble getting through this one.

About the "dudes are funnier than chicks" thing or something else?

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I'll actually listen to this one if there's a fight between Whitney and Adam about women in comedy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Kaptain K posted:

I'll actually listen to this one if there's a fight between Whitney and Adam about women in comedy.
There's not really, they just give each other some poo poo but it all seemed good natured. I was actually going to come here to post that this is the first one I've listened to in a week or so, and I thought she was really good on the show, I didn't pick up on any real tension out of her.

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
I thought Whitney came off as annoying and terrible. Her laugh made me take a break from it 3 different times. Live shows are junk.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

McJuicy posted:

I thought Whitney came off as annoying and terrible. Her laugh made me take a break from it 3 different times. Live shows are junk.

I didn't think she was that bad and I'm not even really a fan of hers. I will agree with you that live shows are crap. He hams it up too much and is way too bombastic.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

McJuicy posted:

I kindly disagree. The Whitney podcast was good and not every live show is junk. Some are, but some are very good. Her laugh is annoying, but so are a lot of people's and it doesn't really stop me personally. If I find out though you can listen to a jeff garlan podcast gently caress you.

Chinook posted:

At one point she called out a crowd member who she looked down on, and was mean to the crowd about their misogyny level is about the farthest she went. It was kinda funny, but also aggressive with a chip. Nowhere near super awkward or anything.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I like the live shows but I really enjoy a drunk Adam and I know alot of people don't.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
So Adam said that the lawsuit is dropped with the Patent Trolls in such a way that they cannot bring it back against him or any other podcasters. He said that he's gagged from speaking about it for 45 days, which seems like a crazy short time. It sounds like he beat the pants off them, which is awesome. Details are promised once the gag period is up.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

What Fun posted:

So Adam said that the lawsuit is dropped with the Patent Trolls in such a way that they cannot bring it back against him or any other podcasters. He said that he's gagged from speaking about it for 45 days, which seems like a crazy short time. It sounds like he beat the pants off them, which is awesome. Details are promised once the gag period is up.

Ars Technica posted:

Personal Audio simply found out podcasters—even famous ones like Carolla—just don't make that much money, so it isn't interested in suing them.

It includes the odd tidbit of naming six big podcasters it won't sue, including Joe Rogan and Marc Maron. The six named podcasters have all been supportive of Carolla and presumably are in there because Carolla's people insisted they be "immunized" in writing.

The relevant part of the press release reads:

In addition to announcing its agreement with Mr. Carolla, Personal Audio would like to take this opportunity to issue a more general statement to the podcasting community. Previously, Personal Audio announced that it did not intend to sue any podcasters making modest amounts of revenues for infringement of US Patent No. 8,112,504. Indeed, Personal Audio has dismissed several podcasters from litigation because it was not worth litigating over the amount of damages involved.

Personal Audio understands that, notwithstanding its dismissals of several podcasters and its previously-publicized intention not to sue podcasters making modest amounts of money for infringing its patents, there is still a great deal of concern in the podcasting community surrounding potential patent litigation from Personal Audio. Accordingly, Personal Audio would like to again announce that it has no intention of suing podcasters that are making modest amounts of money from podcasting. In particular, Personal Audio has no intention of suing the following podcasters: (1) the Nerdist; (2) Ear Wolf; (3) Podcast One; (4) Joe Rogan; (5) Marc Maron; and (6) Jay Mohr.

Through this disclosure, Personal Audio hopes that it will assuage the podcasting community's concerns and speculation regarding potential future patent litigation.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
"Pfft whatever, we didn't even want your stupid money anyway"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That is such a BS response from Personal Audio. Patent trolls like them don't go after the big guys because they have the power to fight back. They don't go after the small guys because they don't have money. They purposely go after people like Carolla because he has enough money to extort something of value while not enough to put up a strong defense.

They got their rear end handed to them and are trying to save face by taking passive-aggressive shots at people.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

:laffo: I like the petty use of specific adjectives in there. The person who wrote that is a butthurt.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's mostly an attempt to keep the door open for future action, to the extent the settlement is going to permit that for podcasters not named. "It's not that we don't deserve to get paid it's that..."

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

pangstrom posted:

It's mostly an attempt to keep the door open for future action, to the extent the settlement is going to permit that for podcasters not named. "It's not that we don't deserve to get paid it's that..."

It will be interesting to see how Adam spins this when he can finally talk about it. It's not the crushing win he was hoping for, and this is pretty much what the patent trolls were offering weeks ago just with protection for 6 podcasters. Yay? Either he's going to whine about it for the next several years or is going to start calling himself "The Man Who Saved Podcasting".

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

Patent trolls like them don't go after the big guys because they have the power to fight back.

As of February, Apple had been sued by patent trolls 92 times, and as of that article, they'd paid the trolls in 51 of 57 cases that had made it to court. Big companies are great targets because they can pay and don't want the headache. It's like budgeting for bribes while operating an office in a 3rd world country.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I'm hoping that there's something more to it then just those 6 named podcasters. I don't trust anything Personal Audio says, and I agree that that is possibly the most passive-aggressive press release ever written.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

What Fun posted:

I'm hoping that there's something more to it then just those 6 named podcasters. I don't trust anything Personal Audio says, and I agree that that is possibly the most passive-aggressive press release ever written.

Whatever their press release says, the patent trolls are still doing something that is totally legal. They only back down when it would cost them more to fight than they would get. This will not end until stops listening to (and taking donations from) big pharma, trial lawyers, and the biotech industry, because they all profit from the current status quo of patent law. However, in the Carolla world, if you oppose big pharma, you're some hippie/commie/faith healer/ignoramus who is out to destroy people who pay taxes.

I'm not mad at Carolla, but his righteous anger is very misplaced and he keeps defending an industry that is the ultimate reason why he got sued.

Edit: More detail

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

benito posted:

Whatever their press release says, the patent trolls are still doing something that is totally legal. They only back down when it would cost them more to fight than they would get. This will not end until stops listening to (and taking donations from) big pharma, trial lawyers, and the biotech industry, because they all profit from the current status quo of patent law. However, in the Carolla world, if you oppose big pharma, you're some hippie/commie/faith healer/ignoramus who is out to destroy people who pay taxes.

I'm not mad at Carolla, but his righteous anger is very misplaced and he keeps defending an industry that is the ultimate reason why he got sued.

Edit: More detail

Its hilarious that he does not seem to get it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Its hilarious that he does not seem to get it.

This is the same guy who once shouted down somebody who tried to explain why Adam pays more than taxes than Engineer Anderson. Adam seriously did not understand why a millionaire paid a higher percentage of his income than somebody who made less than 20K a year. Adam has a HUGE entitlement/ victim complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The DAG episode is pretty loving good by the way. NO peanut, no teddy until like literally the very end, and DAG/Adam may have stumbled onto a pretty loving funny rear end bit.