Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Wildeyes posted:

But I also really wish they had gone with the spooky spirit possession in some non-clichéd way. Something like that would have probably given us plenty more to talk about and think about than this finale will.

Wildeyes posted:

I think Book 1's finale might be fine if you binge-watched the season. But fans had way too much time to speculate on Amon's motives and how he could take bending away (I heard some wacky poo poo, like he was Koh the Face Stealer or some lost Avatar), so the answer ended up being pretty disappointing.

That must be something you have a problem with. You wish they had "gone with the spooky spirit possession" as if that was a concept even hinted at by the show, instead of something that was entirely speculation based off a hoaxed quote. Why would they have gone with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Wildeyes posted:

Didn't they explain it as platinum lacking the impurities that metalbenders need to metalbend?

I don't actually know anything about the composition of platinum, but I think that's what was said.

None of what you said was in the show. They just said "You won't get out, unless the metal clan taught you a way to bend platinum." It's vague enough to mean that either there currently exists no way to bend platinum or there is a method, but it is too advanced and specialized for Korra to learn so early in her metal bending training.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

None of what you said was in the show. They just said "You won't get out, unless the metal clan taught you a way to bend platinum." It's vague enough to mean that either there currently exists no way to bend platinum or there is a method, but it is too advanced and specialized for Korra to learn so early in her metal bending training.
It was over two years ago (WOW!) but no, Book One made it clear that not even someone of Toph or Lin's skill can bend solid platinum.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It was over two years ago (WOW!) but no, Book One made it clear that not even someone of Toph or Lin's skill can bend solid platinum.

Maybe Toph will find a way to levitate platinum by listening to guru laghima.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

I loving loved this shot. It's one of the only points in the ending where Korra looks kind of happy. Even if it didn't last long, her adoptive little siblings cheered her up. :3:

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

FourLeaf posted:

Why are there always so many creepy idiots in the Korra threads. Do you remember that person who said the show was clearly showing hentai and tentacle rape influences after the season 2 premiere?

it was

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

korra looksl ike tomoko kuroki

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Whoever was asking what they should get as their Avatar avatar should get this with a quote from the end of True Detective

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Well, holy poo poo. That made up for the lovely season 2 and brought me right back in.

Major improvement in all aspects of the show. I hope to see the same quality in Book 4.

achillesforever6 posted:

Can I also say the music during the action scenes was amazing, that actually made me even more engrossed listening in the episodes.

Also I know everyone here is thinking Air Nation becoming the Justice League/Batmen, but for me the first thing that popped in my head was MSF from Metal Gear and I suddenly pictured Snake/Big Boss as an air bender with him talking in Metal Gear dialogue for everything

Also I think Varrick has a solution to Korra's problem if its permanent:

:getin:

I am so hype for the Korra Platinum game. I think the first time I heard that news, I thought it was too good to be true until I saw the alpha footage.

I hope they at least add DLCs (like boss fights against notable villains in the series) or make a sequel to it when it succeeds.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

uncleKitchener posted:

when it succeeds.

ahahahhahah I'm so sorry.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

uncleKitchener posted:

when it succeeds.

It's a Platinum game. This won't happen.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
what is a platinum game

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

raspy trashfucker posted:

what is a platinum game

A very very good game that no one will buy.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

what is a platinum game

A game that not even the strongest metalbender can move.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Goddammit guys, let me be hopeful about a Platinum game for once.

I still play Vanquish once a month :(

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
holy poo poo the viewtiful joe/bayonetta guys are making a korra game? it's gonna look really good

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Now that I've gone back and listened to it again, that music during Jinora's ceremony was downright beautiful.

what is a platinum game

[Insert joke about how platinum games tend to have poor sales records despite their history of quality here.]

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, they actually managed to stick the landing this time.

Best season since Last Airbender S2, fo' sho'.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

what is a platinum game
A game made by the people who created the greatest boss of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALkd3DG6HA

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 23, 2014

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Zaheer posted:

So we lucky few, this band of brothers and sisters in anarchy are witnessing the beginning of an era of true freedom. Together, we will forge a world without kings and queens.

King Henry V posted:

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

I like how this parallel sort of points out how Zaheer and the Red Lotus have inconsistent beliefs. Like how they're constantly restraining other people (a necessity, but apparently against their ethos) and how P'Li was rescued from being a warlord's killing machine to being... Zaheer's killing machine.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That was a good last few episodes. Early part of the season was pretty weak but once the Red Lotus got going it was good.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Jinora looked so much like Aang during her induction that I'm expecting her to grow a goatee when she gets older.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This was probably the best season of Avatar ever, or very close to it. It was really, really excellent and fired on all cylinders.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
What a crazy improvement for this show. I wonder what changed in the development of this show to make it improve so much over season 1 and 2. I guess they listened to feedback about those seasons.

The most underrated part of this season was the new "fighting" music used throughout this season. Does anyone know what that song is called? It was used in pretty much every episode that had a fight.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So It Goes posted:

What a crazy improvement for this show. I wonder what changed in the development of this show to make it improve so much over season 1 and 2. I guess they listened to feedback about those seasons.

I'd imagine part of it was that Book 2 was already too far along in production for them to really make any major changes by the time the criticisms of Book 1 started up in earnest. Hence us getting more love triangle stuff in 2, while 3 (aside from briefly cropping up in the first episode when Korra and Asami are just cruising through the city) had virtually none of it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

So It Goes posted:

The most underrated part of this season was the new "fighting" music used throughout this season. Does anyone know what that song is called? It was used in pretty much every episode that had a fight.
Didn't they get a bunch of writers from the original series back after they were gone in seasons 1 & 2?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
^The original series writers (TIm Hedrick and Joshua Hamilton) came back in Book 2.

I'm gonna break down how I feel about Korra book by book.

Book 1: AN ambitious experiment that ultimately worked despite some real flaws, until the last seven minutes saw everything crashing down.
Book 2: Six episodes of meandering and character defiling sludge ranging from aggressively mediocre to outright awful (except for Varrick), followed by two of the greatest episodes in the franchise and a salvage operation that, while more than a little fan-fictiony, allowed the season to end on an intriguing high note.
Book 3: If you didn't love or at least really, really like this book, but you love A:TLA, I ask you to watch the original series again with the same critical eye.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Silynt posted:

That must be something you have a problem with. You wish they had "gone with the spooky spirit possession" as if that was a concept even hinted at by the show, instead of something that was entirely speculation based off a hoaxed quote. Why would they have gone with that?

Uh, I didn't know it was a hoaxed quote at the time I was imagining what they'd do with the finale?

And Zaheer quoted the phrase "enter the void," which was also the name of an episode. Like most people, I thought it sounded ominous and wasn't expecting it to be about flying around like Superman

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 23, 2014

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
The only thing I regret is that Katara wasn't even there for her grand daughter's air master ceremony and that Toph didn't show up. I really hoped for her to make an appearance the way they left her as just walking off into the sunset and has not been seen since.

With Old man Zuko there, it would have been interesting to see the surviving old school group stand together.

Book 4 better have some mother loving Fire Nation in it since we have seen so little of that. As well as Iroh-man again.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

As well as Iroh-man again.

There's no way they're not planning on paying off the fact that Zuko now knows that Iroh is in the spirit world.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I keep waiting for the Face Stealer to be the big bad of a season like I'm waiting to go to the fireworks factory (I thought he would be season 3's with the Spirit World open.)

Still, amazing season all around. Definitely far and away the best of Korra's run.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

I keep waiting for the Face Stealer to be the big bad of a season like I'm waiting to go to the fireworks factory (I thought he would be season 3's with the Spirit World open.)

Have you read the comics? You should, if you haven't! Not that Koh himself comes back, but... he's relevant to one of them.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Wildeyes posted:

Uh, I didn't know it was a hoaxed quote at the time I was imagining what they'd do with the finale?

And Zaheer quoted the phrase "enter the void," which was also the name of an episode. Like most people, I thought it sounded ominous and wasn't expecting it to be about flying around like Superman

Well then you're pretty lovely at critical thinking. The phrase is a quote from his idol who explicitly (albeit borderline mythically) could fly; obviously the void he was going to enter was the sky. Flight has clearly been his goal since like episode 2.

And not knowing it was a hoax excuses hypothesizing before the show aired, but it doesn't excuse complaining after the fact that they went a different direction than your theory.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Silynt posted:

Well then you're pretty lovely at critical thinking. The phrase is a quote from his idol who explicitly (albeit borderline mythically) could fly; obviously the void he was going to enter was the sky. Flight has clearly been his goal since like episode 2.

And not knowing it was a hoax excuses hypothesizing before the show aired, but it doesn't excuse complaining after the fact that they went a different direction than your theory.

If there's one things I've learned from watching live reaction videos for anime (don't do this) it's that the adults who watch these shows lack the ability to think critically.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Silynt posted:

I'm sorry, do you have a problem with me? I'm not the only person who was expecting "enter the void" to be about something else.

Why don't you go exercise your own hot critical thinking skills and go re-read what I typed? At no point did I suggest the hoax quote was legit, or that the creators set up the spirit possession thing to happen. All I said was that I kind of wished that the quote hadn't been a hoax, and that something non-cliched had happened that was related to the passage, instead of the villain plan we got. I'm not holding the creators to poo poo.

We're in here discussing a kids' show. Don't you have more important things to save your anger for?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the thing that strikes me most looking back at this season is how completely full of poo poo Zaheer was. I mean—he was completely sincere in his own beliefs and faithful to his four-man band, but for a supposed spiritual leader, every interaction he has with someone outside the Red Lotus is an exercise in bullshit and deceit. He never deals honestly with anybody outside of his fan club.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

There's no way they're not planning on paying off the fact that Zuko now knows that Iroh is in the spirit world.

I was talking about Zuko's grandson. but yeah, I want to see Zuko and old man Iroh back again. It would bring great honor to this show.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

I was talking about Zuko's grandson. but yeah, I want to see Zuko and old man Iroh back again. It would bring great honor to this show.

Oh! Right, Iroh-Man, that makes more sense. Haha.

Hopefully we get a decent amount of Zuko and his family next season.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bryan Konietzko's tumblr posted:

I would also like to give a huge thanks to the Korra crews at Nick in Burbank, and in Seoul at Studio Mir and Studio Reve for a stellar season and finale. And thank you to the fans! Thanks for sticking with this show after the bumpy ride in Book 2, and the hide-and-seek network shenanigans this summer. Keep cursing the Bryke for making you feel the feels and smell the real poop. We’ll be back with Book 4 as soon as possible. Hopefully it won’t be released only on smartwatches or some other inane platform.

Love, Bryan

I like how he just doesn't give a gently caress anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
"The bumpy ride in Book 2"...I haven't really paid much attention to the creators' media comments. Do they acknowledge that fans had a lot of complaints about Book 2?

It kind of surprises me how much I've forgotten about Book 2. I sort of remember the big spiritzilla battle, the fact that relationship drama was a thing, and the fact that it was the season Varrick showed up, but everything else is a blur.

• Locked thread