Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Maybe my group's expectations of quality are just really warped by ~60% of what we watch being from the 70s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
As much as I'm enjoying Crystal and how it's closer to the manga, even if it had top-notch animation I'd still miss stuff from the first anime, like this scene I ran across while I was watching clips of the old show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQ1R41vfPk

The faces Usagi makes after Chibiusa pinches her foot are hilarious. I really liked the relationship they had going on in S, especially the scene in that one episode (can't find a clip) where Chibiusa is trying to get Usagi to take her somewhere and starts calling her "Mama." "I'm not your mother yet, kid!"

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Revolver Bunker posted:

I still find it really odd that the only Sailor Moon Crystal goods are the bluray preorders. All the other figures, stationary, and clothing are of the classic anime.

Yes! I've been noticing that too. Makes perfect sense from a nostalgia marketing point of view, and I'm stoked that I can get new things with the classic version of the characters on them, because for me that's the 'real' version, but it also seems to suggest a certain lack of faith in Crystal? Like they don't expect anyone to like it enough to want it on a teeshirt or smartphone case or in doll form?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm watching Crystal purely in a trainwreck sense. I have no idea how it can be watched in any other way.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

I'm really not seeing the terrible awfulness you guys are.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I haven't even started watching it yet, I'm just waiting til Jupiter so I can hear Ami Koshimizu's performance.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ernie Muppari posted:

I'm fully aware that its quality sucks but I am strapping myself in for the long haul on this one. I love me a train wreck.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

Yea as I said earlier I don't understand the sentiment either.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The only part of Crystal that I think is ever awful is the animation, and that's more inconsistent than anything.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I don't understand how this is a trainwreck. I have absolutely loved every minute of it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I don't notice the bad animation personally. Certainly not watching "purely in a trainwreck sense," and I'm enjoying it anyway.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It really is just the animation that's the issue otherwise it's just Sailor Moon as far as I can tell.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

The Monkey Man posted:

The only part of Crystal that I think is ever awful is the animation, and that's more inconsistent than anything.

It's really not that horrible. I think the big issue people are having with it is because we had this thing stalled for so long, then changed to a two week release schedule, and still has wonky animation from time to time.

Like, yeah, it sucks that you got super hyped up for expectations, but the animation is seriously the only thing that's a problem, and that's just from time to time. Other times, it looks fantastic, y'know, just like the original series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I'm watching Crystal purely in a trainwreck sense. I have no idea how it can be watched in any other way.

I have felt this way for awhile, but I feel like this is the post that really hammers in how the term trainwreck when used to describe a show has been run into the loving ground.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

I have felt this way for awhile, but I feel like this is the post that really hammers in how the term trainwreck when used to describe a show has been run into the loving ground.

Sailor Moon has been off the air for more than twenty years - not counting PGSM - we're only on Ep. 4 of Crystal. How is the show being run into the ground?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Violet_Sky posted:

Sailor Moon has been off the air for more than twenty years - not counting PGSM - we're only on Ep. 4 of Crystal. How is the show being run into the ground?

that post is about the term trainwreck being run into the ground

also this thread is hilarious

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Lessail posted:

also this thread is hilarious

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Seriously, I haven't seen anything in Crystal that's all that worse than what most other series I've seen (yes, even modern ones that don't suck) have done wrong.

Like, it's not perfect, but all this :siren: trainwreck :siren: chat sounds hella' Comicbook Guy.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

Ernie Muppari posted:

Seriously, I haven't seen anything in Crystal that's all that worse than what most other series I've seen (yes, even modern ones that don't suck) have done wrong.

Like, it's not perfect, but all this :siren: trainwreck :siren: chat sounds hella' Comicbook Guy.

Seriously, it's not like the original was any better in terms of animation. Nostalgia goggles are seriously on, especially when people are saying that at least the original series was consistent with animation. It could be pretty jarring to see the stock animation of their attacks compared to

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
you don't understand, that gives the old series charm and character!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Lessail posted:

you don't understand, that gives the old series charm and character!

Well, it does, and I love the old series, but it's not really super great.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Tree Huffer posted:

Seriously, it's not like the original was any better in terms of animation. Nostalgia goggles are seriously on, especially when people are saying that at least the original series was consistent with animation. It could be pretty jarring to see the stock animation of their attacks compared to

Holy gently caress I just watched that episode and that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Was it too hard to just draw that guys mouth in with black?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Holy gently caress I just watched that episode and that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Was it too hard to just draw that guys mouth in with black?

Probably either just forgot to do it, or whoever did the final assembly and shooting for that shot didn't put the "INT. MOUTH - GUY" cel below that one.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Aside from the dodgy animation at times I still like the new series. Just that certain scenes have a lot of bad facial animations and some scenes have flat coloring or shading. I don't think it's a train wreck in any sense of the word. It's certainly no Mahouka.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On a lighter note, did anyone else think of the ricola mountain gag from DBZ Abridged when Usagi pulled off that massive gently caress off moon beam?

I know I did.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Well, it's the big (albeit delayed) twentieth-anniversary celebration of one of the biggest anime franchises ever, with a huge international nostalgia market plus the potential to gain new fans. I don't think it was silly to have hoped that this time, they'd prioritise high-quality, consistent animation, since that was one of the major weak spots of the 90s anime that they could have improved on. Or to be sad that they didn't. I mean, they have errors as dumb as Usagi saying 'Look, I'm using my pen too!' while pointing to the pen from the arcade machine in her shirt pocket, and in the next frame of the same shot the pen has disappeared. I don't consider it a trainwreck, but it is a pretty big let-down compared with what it could have been without breaking anyone's back or bank.

On the other hand, NEXT TIME WE GET MAKOTO. :swoon:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Dove from Above posted:

On the other hand, NEXT TIME WE GET MAKOTO. :swoon:

And that's all that really matters. :colbert:

keet
Aug 20, 2005

a cartoon duck posted:

Man, it's kinda amazing how different the manga and anime are. I do like how Tuxedo Mask feels more like a part of the team in the manga, in hindsight the anime might've been too married to his rose-throwing gimmick, to the point he arrives at the scene with the rest of the Sailor team pre-transformation, but still arrives a minute late to the actual battle just to do his rose thing? It starts feeling kinda alienating, like there's a needless line drawn between him and the Sailor team, so I'm glad that's not there in the manga.

IIRC, a lot of the early concept stuff in the first episodes is pretty blatantly taken from other older anime at the time. There's a strong Cutey Honey vibe (the monsters all being female monstrosities, the costumes Usagi uses with her pen are Cutey Honey shoutouts etc., the wacky humorstyle is Goldfish Warning) IIRC nearly everything about Tux's gimmick is stolen from other archetypes and partially from an old zorro-style TV character. To the point watching the first season, esp after knowing what comes later is kind of visually jarring.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much online complaining on the JP side of things about the animation being dodgy cause, well, what can you do. It's TOEI and they know it's being farmed out cheaply. It's hard to really talk about a mechanical intrusion like that and TOEI is notorious for doing poo poo like that on even big properties.

Besides the fact Makoto owns bones and her intro always kick rear end, it's also another red flag spot where the plot typically makes a detour from source material if it's going to. since Venus wont be around for a while. I'm also curious because her PGSM iteration went full-on tomboy (I think the rationale was 'what if makoto tried to hide her awkward femininity rather than awkwardly emphasize it') and to choose an actor whose last job was Kill La Kill, and deliberately have her teaser line be her 'tough' voice kinda point to it. Especially if its supposed to balance Rei and Ami being more subdued. The old anime version seemed to push for more of a cutesy overtone to her.

While I think Beryl will probably be portrayed more sympathetically this time around (it's become a running theme in newer stuff) most likely she'll have to stay kind of evil; not killing the minions early makes me think they'll do a big redemption arc thing with them later. PGSM did that, but it was more so Mamoru had something to do for half the show. Apparently some of the fandom is worried over the the reference Jedite made to knowing Rei and finding her pretty, but AFAIK no adaptation has ever really entertained that kind of shipping seriously - even the PGSM where the dudes had big parts in - though I think the newest musical satirizes it (and that random one-off pic of them literally standing in a photo which really desperate people take as some kind of canon).

keet fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 27, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm surprised people seem to see that Jadeite bit as romantic. In context it actually seemed kind of rapey.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I'm surprised people seem to see that Jadeite bit as romantic. In context it actually seemed kind of rapey.

Yeah, it was creepy - just as Tuxedo Mask kissing Usagi while she's asleep in 'Masquerade' was creepy, to be perfectly frank. The rushed Zoisite-Ami connection in La Reconquista also creeped me out. That was a strange show, because I found the characterisation of the Senshi bang-on and adorable and wonderful, but the plot did little for me. Oh, and I really liked the old hag character who bitched about Beryl stuffing her bra with pork buns.

Here's some new information, which appears to confirm that Crystal will cover the first two story arcs of the manga, with each episode corresponding to one chapter.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Dove from Above posted:

Here's some new information, which appears to confirm that Crystal will cover the first two story arcs of the manga, with each episode corresponding to one chapter.

So we're not going to make it to the Outers or the big plot divergence in the last quarter of the manga. As much as I complain about Crystal's quality (or lack there of), I'm still kind of disappointed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dove from Above posted:

Yeah, it was creepy - just as Tuxedo Mask kissing Usagi while she's asleep in 'Masquerade' was creepy, to be perfectly frank

It's...maybe sort of better than him kissing her when she was drunk, like in the manga?

At least he's not in college in Crystal.

Snow Halation posted:

So we're not going to make it to the Outers or the big plot divergence in the last quarter of the manga. As much as I complain about Crystal's quality (or lack there of), I'm still kind of disappointed.

There's always the possibility of a sequel that covers those but I'm not going to hold my breath. At least we'll be getting more than just Dark Kingdom.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's...maybe sort of better than him kissing her when she was drunk, like in the manga?

He'd still have been kissing her when she was passed out drunk if it weren't for those new censorship laws that mean they can't show minors drinking alcohol (or riding double on a bike!). The part about her being sleepy because she'd stayed up the night before reading manga (which certainly was in character, and I liked the shot of her sleeping face-down on an open comic book) was written to get around that. If only they'd written her waking up and taking an active, willing part in the kiss, I'd be happy. Getting in a Sleeping Beauty/Snow White reference is not worth that much.

Farewell, glory days of Sailor Moon getting shitfaced because she mistook a cocktail for fruit juice. I will always remember fondly that time you barfed off Mr Edwards' balcony into his rose garden.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Small thing but the official Sailor Moon twitter announced a vague 'Early 2015' for Part 2 of season 1 stating more details to come in the following months.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I REALLY hope we get to see the Outers. It's been way too drat long since we saw them in a recent adaptation. Does Naoko not like them anymore?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Maybe it's just that they didn't show up in any of SuperS and only a little bit of Stars in the anime, so they're not viewed by the corporations as popular or as well-known as the main five?

Saturn especially got shafted in the anime, she appears in one episode as Saturn in S, and then she's barely in Stars at all.

Dove from Above posted:

If only they'd written her waking up and taking an active, willing part in the kiss, I'd be happy.

Plus they could have had Luna getting mad at her since they don't know if he's friend or foe at the moment, and it's not like they're being true to the manga at this point anyway with Jadeite still alive. So yeah, I agree with you.

quote:

Farewell, glory days of Sailor Moon getting shitfaced because she mistook a cocktail for fruit juice. I will always remember fondly that time you barfed off Mr Edwards' balcony into his rose garden.

"Don't worry, big bowl of curry!"

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Maybe it's just that they didn't show up in any of SuperS and only a little bit of Stars in the anime, so they're not viewed by the corporations as popular or as well-known as the main five?

Saturn especially got shafted in the anime, she appears in one episode as Saturn in S, and then she's barely in Stars at all.

Yeah, well Saturn being unpopular is completely untrue it seems. A lot of people seem to love her despite her lack of presence as Sailor Saturn in the anime and she's looking to be the last senshi to get a wide release for her Figuarts (Which I just got by the way, she's pretty. :swoon:) while Uranus and Neptune (Who I thought were really popular) are relegated to exclusive hell.

The only one I don't really see get much love at all is Pluto. I mean, she's only in R for like... three episodes (Visibly, and not as "Puu"). I'm still in the process of watching S and she hasn't shown yet, I imagine she's in the same truck as the rest of the Outers in SuperS and Stars is still a ways away for me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Small thing but the official Sailor Moon twitter announced a vague 'Early 2015' for Part 2 of season 1 stating more details to come in the following months.

Which would make sense as the Dark Kingdom arc wold take us up to episode 14 or so and as that (very roughly) translates to seven months that would be February next year.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Which would make sense as the Dark Kingdom arc wold take us up to episode 14 or so and as that (very roughly) translates to seven months that would be February next year.

I was talking about the Blu-Rays of the old series actually. I now realize I forgot to specify that. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

I REALLY hope we get to see the Outers. It's been way too drat long since we saw them in a recent adaptation. Does Naoko not like them anymore?

Are they not in the TV show and musicals or something? Either way I wouldn't be surprised if this gets cancelled or whatever before we get to the Death Busters. Or the show is cheap enough to make that they can keep on trucking, I have no idea how Toei does things.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The only one I don't really see get much love at all is Pluto. I mean, she's only in R for like... three episodes (Visibly, and not as "Puu"). I'm still in the process of watching S and she hasn't shown yet, I imagine she's in the same truck as the rest of the Outers in SuperS and Stars is still a ways away for me.

Pluto shows up like two thirds through S and then doesn't do all that much. Whoever directed the anime was way too enamoured with their idea of Uranus and co being perfect and elegant soldiers, then couldn't figure out how to fit them in regular comedy monster-of-the-week episodes so they only do actual stuff in the mid-season turnabout and the finale. Also why they were straight-up not included in SuperS.

Speaking of, I couldn't make it through SuperS. It just feels so off it's kinda amazing. At least Stars is good, right? I remember enjoying it a lot as a kid where SuperS was just a fog in my memory until I watched it again.

• Locked thread