Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendell
May 11, 2003

Alteisen posted:

You told me this already, and I have it adblocked so I wouldn't know but I'm glad its still there.

I'm glad that no matter how much time passes, how many consoles we go through, Nintendo fans being the biggest defensive babies has not changed.

Why are you calling other people babies when you were apparently so incapable of handling the fact that someone bought you a mean avatar that you blocked it from your sight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Fremry posted:

Alright, noted. No talk about Nintendo's financial issues.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Tender Bender posted:

I dunno if this guy has some kind of troll history but he's making some really uncontroversial statements and y'all are working yourselves into a frenzy over it.

Yes, he's making the uncontroversial statement, "Nintendo is not doing as well as they could be," and other people respond with the uncontroversial, "Yes, we know."

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Alteisen posted:

I'm glad that no matter how much time passes, how many consoles we go through, Nintendo fans being the biggest defensive babies has not changed.

lol youre the guy that literally cried over an mmo

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Tender Bender posted:

I dunno if this guy has some kind of troll history but he's making some really uncontroversial statements and y'all are working yourselves into a frenzy over it. "Nintendo not getting a top-selling game means they will make less money", cue pages of "Who cares get out of here stupid numbers troll".

Anyway I've never bought a call of duty game and don't intend to but the gamepad is really sweet for aiming in a way that joysticks never were so that presumably would've been fun for some Wii U CoD fans

Those 20-30k copies they are going to miss out on are really going to break Nintendo for good. As pointed out several times, his follow up comments up for discussion have been discussed to oblivion and there's another thread specifically to talk about those things.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I wonder if we'll hear anything new of Mario maker soon, I know its a 2015 title, but doesn't strike me as a game that'll release past the spring.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pixeltendo posted:

I wonder if we'll hear anything new of Mario maker soon, I know its a 2015 title, but doesn't strike me as a game that'll release past the spring.

I just want to see all the different tiles sets they add. Hopefully they add in a lot.

And hopefully they allow the stages to be way longer than what they showed at E3

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I really want to play Splatoon

I wonder how (if?) they're planning on doing local multiplayer. Having a giant map on the gamepad seems pretty necessary. I guess you could have several people local and have a shared map, but they'd have to redo how the teleporting to teammates stuff works as well. It seems like a good candidate for an online-centric game. I wonder how hard they'll go on that. I hope a lot.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I would like to point out that Ubisoft isn't pulling all support from Wii U, just M-Rated games. Ditto Activision, though it is a bit puzzling that Platinum's Legend of Korra is skipping Wii U when it's coming to last gen systems.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

though it is a bit puzzling that Platinum's Legend of Korra is skipping Wii U when it's coming to last gen systems.

C'mon man that's just mean, why would you want platinum to release a third game on the Wii-U that nobody buys?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

C'mon man that's just mean, why would you want platinum to release a third game on the Wii-U that nobody buys?
Third? Platinum's only released one Wii U game so far right? Edit: Unless you're predicting poor sales for Bayonetta/B2... which... Yeah, I guess.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

Third? Platinum's only released one Wii U game so far right?

You don't need a Crystal ball to predict Bayonetta 2.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Pixeltendo posted:

My guess is that we'll see a new Nintendo Direct that's actually more general in the early-middle-ish part of next month. The last four we've gotten have all been game-centric, if you don't count the Digital Event (which Nintendo doesn't so yeah). I imagine September would be the best time to discuss Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, and the three "First Half of 2015 titles" (Yoshi, Splatoon, Mario Maker), as well as do another character reveal for Smash (provided that this direct would be before the game's Japanese release date, Sept. 13). Oh, and Bayonetta 2.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Alteisen posted:

Someone might.

I don't give a crap what people buy, I'm not a child anymore so I don't get involved in dumb console war bullshit, I'm just pointing the reasons someone might pick one over the other, whether or not you like these titles is irrelevant.

Well it appears you are because you seem to think that pointing out lackluster features for a product is "console war bullshit" rather than an objective critique.

Deciding to buy something as expensive as a 360 based on extremely early non-gameplay previews of games that are either getting slated or are re-releases of old games seems like an extremely childish thing to do as far as i'm concerned.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 22, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

Wasn't trying to counter your dumb post but ok. :confused:

Someone might.

I don't give a crap what people buy, I'm not a child anymore so I don't get involved in dumb console war bullshit, I'm just pointing the reasons someone might pick one over the other, whether or not you like these titles is irrelevant.

You told me this already, and I have it adblocked so I wouldn't know but I'm glad its still there.

When I get home I'm gonna re-upload it and buy you it again

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Apologies if there's some Mario thread for this, but I need a place to vent and stand in awe of old school Mario games (in preparation for playing the ones on 3ds and WiiU).

gently caress World 3 of Super Mario Bros 3. gently caress it in every orifice. gently caress the big basses, gently caress the lack of mushrooms, gently caress how goddamn long the world is. I can't believe anyone tries to argue that Super Mario World is a tougher game - outside of those handful of mega hard secret levels.

But SMB3's difficulty curve just wrecked me in the same place, after not playing the game for over a decade. Thisclose to using save states to burn past this world or warp whistling my way through.

It doesn't help that 1Ups are largely dictated by that goddamn "match the tiles" timing game that means one slip up costs me five chances at beating a level. And I know everyone adored the ability to keep a string of powerups, but unless you're really good at the game they largely lead to more frustration. Nothing quite like trudging to a toad house, getting an awesome item, and then hitting a stray bullet bill five seconds into the stage.

Mainly though, I wish I had the ability to replay stages. If I could somehow build up some lives by replaying a stage or two over and over again (a la SMW or Donkey kong country) I might actually make my way to the end without breaking my controller in two.

The actual level design really is impeccable, with a stupid amount of variety. But the lives system is just a total punch in the dick, combined with the fact that most levels only have one ? block with a power up in it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
When I was a kid World gave me some of the hardest issues. The water stuff was pretty hard for me back then. I legit couldn't get past world 2 though without a warp whistle.

I don't think the game is that hard now though. The last world still has some hardass levels.

Also the giant world is one of my favorite things in any Mario game. There are giant versions of enemies all the time now, but back then the giant world blew my child mind

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kewpuh posted:

It's still around. The current squad of armchair CEOs prefer to avoid it though so they don't get Zeke'd

uh. it's "deak"...

Alteisen posted:

lmao here's a refresher for you dude

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

gently caress World 3 of Super Mario Bros 3. gently caress it in every orifice. gently caress the big basses, gently caress the lack of mushrooms, gently caress how goddamn long the world is. I can't believe anyone tries to argue that Super Mario World is a tougher game - outside of those handful of mega hard secret levels.

World 3 is where the difficulty ramps up and it caused many tears with children back in the day. The only advice I can offer is learn to swim, don't use the frog suit unless you have to, and search carefully since there are mushrooms to be found.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Someone post the quote that got him the av, I'm busy.

Also. As a tip, don't keep responding to people. You're just going to make it worse.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

absolutely anything posted:

uh. it's "deak"...

lmao here's a refresher for you dude

haha yes you are right of course thank you

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Super Mario Bros 3

Out of all the worlds in the game, I find 3 and 6 to be among the more difficult. At least both allow you to pick your poison as to what stages you want to navigate, since there's no real incentive to clear every stage in a world beyond bragging rights. In any case, I don't recall anybody saying that World is harder than 3 at all. If I remember right, I was able to beat World within three days of getting my SNES back in '92 or so, whereas I was still working on getting better at SMB3.

Have you tried doing the infinite lives trick in world 1-2? I always figured you could just grind out lives then and then never worry about them later in the game.

EDIT: Here's a video on a couple different places you can grind up infinite lives:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VsLVefGEIs

Austrian mook posted:

Someone post the quote that got him the av, I'm busy.

ok

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

C'mon guys, this is the Nintendo thread. Hug it out and play something cute.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Talking about problems Nintendo is having with the Wii U and some major publishers basically saying they aren't interested in the system? Get the gently caress out of here with that!

This on the other hand

Totally on topic!

I mean I agree the speculative doom and gloom gets a bit tiresome but it's not like Alteisen was even doing that so...

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Bruceski posted:

C'mon guys, this is the Nintendo thread. Hug it out and play something cute.
Man, I started this cute thread for a cute company that makes cute games for cute people who play said cute games, and I'd estimate that only about 10% of the people currently posting in this thread are being cute.

For real, though if you would like to post useless garbage and talk smack about other posters and their previous exploits while in a thread with the Wii U tag, this thread may be more your speed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Apologies if there's some Mario thread for this, but I need a place to vent and stand in awe of old school Mario games (in preparation for playing the ones on 3ds and WiiU).

But SMB3's difficulty curve just wrecked me in the same place, after not playing the game for over a decade. Thisclose to using save states to burn past this world or warp whistling my way through.

It doesn't help that 1Ups are largely dictated by that goddamn "match the tiles" timing game that means one slip up costs me five chances at beating a level. And I know everyone adored the ability to keep a string of powerups, but unless you're really good at the game they largely lead to more frustration. Nothing quite like trudging to a toad house, getting an awesome item, and then hitting a stray bullet bill five seconds into the stage.

Mainly though, I wish I had the ability to replay stages. If I could somehow build up some lives by replaying a stage or two over and over again (a la SMW or Donkey kong country) I might actually make my way to the end without breaking my controller in two.

The actual level design really is impeccable, with a stupid amount of variety. But the lives system is just a total punch in the dick, combined with the fact that most levels only have one ? block with a power up in it.

Not to be a drag, but didn't mario 3 have continues? And didn't continues both let you keep your items AND reset the mushroom houses/bonuses?

Yeah, sure it's still the era of "game over? I guess that means it's time to replay a bunch of the game", but can you really hold that against it?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I've never used an infinite lives trick in a Mario game and the NES Remix level that made me do it was seriously the toughest thing in the game for me to pass.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
There's so much hate in this new thread, let's go back to the old one.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's been a while since I played the GBA version, but as I remember you could re-enter levels. Possibly only after beating the game.

When I play through these days, my usual route is:
* Beat worlds 1 & 2, picking up all 3 whistles.
* Warp to world 5, pick up the P-Wing from the wandering Hammer Brother, play the Kuribo Shoe level just because.
* Warp to world 8, use P-Wings on the tiny airship and 8-1 (I think, the one without the quicksand shortcut). Use the cloud to skip the fortress. Beat Bowser.

I did eventually beat everything on the GBA version, but that's my quick route for just getting to the end without worrying about the really hard levels.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken (and you're talking about the one at the end of each level), doesn't it automatically give you a star if you run into the box at full speed?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

Well, except the PS2 of course, haha.

I agree that it's unfortunate we're seeing major 3rd party publishers pulling some support, but you also have to keep in mind that the writing was sort of on the wall for this. This is an issue Nintendo won't be able to fix until much later in this generation or, more likely, next generation. They really pushed to have mature titles out the starting gate but couldn't hold it up. Like the PS4, they opted to release a number of games that had already been out, but unlike the PS4, they had none of the drummed-up hype or awareness.

It's been said before, but really - what do we say? Yeah, we know Ubisoft is expecting Smash to perform and bring up big numbers. Yeah, we know they've dropped Wii U support for their M-rated titles and will only be delivering quality AAA content like Just Dance 2015. And I can promise you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that when Ubisoft sees those Wii U sales numbers following Smash, they're gonna' be disappointed. People will get out their WiiUblackboard.png, copied from last generation's PS3blackboard.png, and they'll cross off "Mega Man in Smash!!!" because ohhhh noooo, it didn't save the Wii U!

What does merit discussion is a statement by Iwata, something that Nintendo itself is talking about, something that Nintendo itself is addressing. If Iwata gets sacked, that's arguably bad news we can talk about. If Miyamoto retires, that's arguably bad news we can talk about. If Splatoon/Kirby/Mario Maker gets delayed because they've pulled developers from that team to work on the more reliable 3DS side of things, that's bad news we can talk about. If the Wii U underperforms so badly that they're pulling support for the console in 2016, that's bad news and I can guarantee you we'd be going nuts talking about it. But Ubisoft saying the same baloney they've said before is only going to lead us to saying the same baloney we've said before, and it's really, really, really tiring.

When you find something new to say about it, let us know.

See, this is a good response to what I said. I agree, and as a person who only came into this thread 3 months ago and is interested in business (tangentially), I wasn't around for the ad nauseum discussion. I still think it was of note because it wasn't confirmed before yesterday.

Ultigonio posted:

Yes, he's making the uncontroversial statement, "Nintendo is not doing as well as they could be," and other people respond with the uncontroversial, "Yes, we know."

This is where I absolutely disagree. I said some uncontroversial statements, and it was literally pages of people saying I want to see Nintendo doomed. I've been a customer of Nintendo since I was 4 in 1988, which is probably longer than most of them, and I know you, were alive. The response was absolutely not "Yes, we know". It was "gently caress you and die".

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fremry posted:

It was "gently caress you and die".
I was being a little bit sarcastic when I said that second post, but yeah, fair enough. I won't disagree. I'd recommend dropping the subject at this point, though (and I'd ask the same of anyone thinking of responding to you right now, though I'll likely get ignored). It's gone beyond the realm of being on-topic, and you're only going to be inviting more trash-flinging upon yourself if you continue. I'm not a moderator or anyone else important, I know - I'd just appreciate if there weren't two Wii U threads filled with shitposting.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 23, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Ultigonio posted:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken (and you're talking about the one at the end of each level), doesn't it automatically give you a star if you run into the box at full speed?

I believe Ultigonio is correct, though if I recall correctly you have to hit the end box at the right angle/height of the jump (basically keeping the horizontal running momentum through the jump) - try aiming for the lower-left corner.

I wonder if Mario Maker will be versatile enough that we end up with SMB3-esque stages. Has Nintendo giving more information about it since E3, or mentioned how level-sharing is going to work? I'd totally make my own entire Mario game just to hear everyone laugh at how terrible it is.

Edit:

Ultigonio posted:

I'd just appreciate if there weren't two Wii U threads filled with shitposting.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Watching a Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon playthrough for 3DS it looks really good like the best possible combination of a Mario game and Ghostbusters.

However it seems the only full sized offering is the original Luigi's Mansion ala Gamecube. We all know Gamecube games aren't on Wii U. There feels like there is a big gap. Is it possible these (year-old) rumours could be true that Dark Moon is coming to Wii U or is this all very unlikely to happen.

http://nintendonews.com/2013/10/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-wii-u-discovered-on-best-buy-website/

night slime
May 14, 2014
Nintendo can go it alone--I have faith in them. WHen did Mario ever need an ally to defeat Bowser. Peace out...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

night slime posted:

Nintendo can go it alone--I have faith in them. WHen did Mario ever need an ally to defeat Bowser. Peace out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11gRKLANooA

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

night slime posted:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

night slime posted:

They have Platinum Games and Retro studios at their side.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Say whatever DID happen to the shitpost about Wii U thread? It kind of served a valuable function.

Nolgthorn posted:

Watching a Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon playthrough for 3DS it looks really good like the best possible combination of a Mario game and Ghostbusters.

However it seems the only full sized offering is the original Luigi's Mansion ala Gamecube. We all know Gamecube games aren't on Wii U. There feels like there is a big gap. Is it possible these (year-old) rumours could be true that Dark Moon is coming to Wii U or is this all very unlikely to happen.

http://nintendonews.com/2013/10/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-wii-u-discovered-on-best-buy-website/
Unlikely is understating it. I don't think there were really 'rumors' so much as a listing mistake on Amazon or something. If anything we're more likely to see and HD Remaster of the first game along side other choice gamecube titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Chaltab posted:

Say whatever DID happen to the shitpost about Wii U thread? It kind of served a valuable function.

It still exists but everybody moved on to the Xbone thread which is more fun or so I have heard.

• Locked thread