Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

I doubt it's much different than the motivation of an NFL draftee who is loving three strippers in the shitter at a club in Miami. He's not doing it because they're white, he's doing it because he can and it feels good and there are no consequences.

What a great analogy.

On topic: I always thought PCP was supposed to be a white people drug? Like, when I think of the proverbial 250-pound juggernaut criminal on PCP I'm imagining a skinhead, or a trucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Joementum posted:

There's some database issue that's making forumdisplay.php unreadable.

It only affects Vermont posters, as was intended, as part of the forums upgrade. It'll be in the changelog.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Someone on reddit posted this album of Russian tombstones.
http://imgur.com/a/CcyXm

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Chantilly Say posted:

What a great analogy.

On topic: I always thought PCP was supposed to be a white people drug? Like, when I think of the proverbial 250-pound juggernaut criminal on PCP I'm imagining a skinhead, or a trucker.

That's funny, because I've always seen PCP billed as a drug used by blacks. :v: I wonder where these misconceptions (both of us prolly have them) come from.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

XyloJW posted:

It only affects Vermont posters

Does forumdisplay.php contain GMOs? :ohdear:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

How's the new PM working out? I bet there's a great track record for leaders installed by a junta, so he should be fine.
Yeah, it's a formula for success. It's the first real attempt at a total change of style of government coup we've had in decades so I'm curious to see. A lot of what they're doing, frankly, is short-term positive, but it's typical making the trains run on time poo poo. The negative stuff (bringing people in for a talking to, reforming education to be even more about indoctrination and so on) mostly doesn't make the news. They're the last gasp of a dying way of life. Deadenders, as Rumsfeld would say, making a power grab while they still can. It remains unclear how long they'll hold on.

On a related note, for those of you who like food, next time you're at a Thai restaurant ask them if they can bring you larb moo tort with nahm cheem. I doubt most can, but if you can find it this is the buffalo wings of Thai food.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Warszawa posted:

In terms of use that's hardly unexpected given a) the longstanding priority of drug enforcement and b) prevalence of drug crime particularly in comparison to terrorist offenses, but if the criticized militarization is unjustified escalation, the ostensible reason would seem to matter. Basically I think that police militarization in the last decade or so is more rooted in post-9/11 reactions than in ongoing drug warfare, which would suggest that "ending the War on Drugs" is an insufficient remedy.

Definitely not a panacea, but it most likely wouldn't hurt.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

There's some database issue that's making forumdisplay.php unreadable.

I'm not seeing anything. Totally don't have this thread favorited, either.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thanatosian posted:

I'm not seeing anything. Totally don't have this thread favorited, either.

I logged out and logged back in and it worked again. :iiam:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i just finished watching primer after hearing people talk about it so often and i've quickly come to the conclusion that the reason everyone says it's so confusing is as follows:

- it's a time travel movie, so it's going to be confusing - especially considering that you have to figure out what kind of make-belief bullshit time machine mechanic we're using this time
- it's purposefully made confusing - there's no exposition, no explanations, some bits are purposefully left unexplained
- some incompetence in writing (including plot holes) made it even more confusing and technological limitations added to that
- because it's really good at creating tension, you also assume it's really good at telling its story
- i hate time travel movies

it was okay, though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

R. Mute posted:

i just finished watching primer after hearing people talk about it so often and i've quickly come to the conclusion that the reason everyone says it's so confusing is as follows:

- it's a time travel movie, so it's going to be confusing - especially considering that you have to figure out what kind of make-belief bullshit time machine mechanic we're using this time
- it's purposefully made confusing - there's no exposition, no explanations, some bits are purposefully left unexplained
- some incompetence in writing (including plot holes) made it even more confusing and technological limitations added to that
- because it's really good at creating tension, you also assume it's really good at telling its story
- i hate time travel movies

it was okay, though.
I haven't seen Primer, but I feel like The Butterfly Effect was a much better movie than it got credit for.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Thanatosian posted:

I haven't seen Primer, but I feel like The Butterfly Effect was a much better movie than it got credit for.
Well, it's no Lake House.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

This is hardly some phenomenon highly specific to American cops. The distinction is that we're a country of institutions that's supposed to limit abuse through the power of higher institutions - and those higher institutions, which go back and forth on this topic, currently have no interest in doing this.

that and we provide the bulk of funding/materiel/training for everyone else's overly militarized police

cheerfullydrab posted:

Well, it's no Lake House.

or bill & ted franchise

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 23, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Joementum posted:

The Beach Boys song of the (almost) same name might be the laziest pop song ever written. Woah there guys, don't strain yourselves with a second chord!

Their version of California Dreamin' is also terrible. Bobby Womack's is alright, but I don't think there's a good version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRrvA3_Pl00

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Just go reminded by GBS that I have another series of Swedish novels to recommend for the average D&D strawman: Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö's Martin Beck series The Story of a Crime.

Spoiler: The crime is capitalism.

It's a series that was somewhat influential for the crime genre at the time, by depicting the police as often powerless, stuck in the system and being reliant on lucky coincidences. It also, similiarly to my previous recommendation of the Hamilton novels, concerns itself with the gap between the ideal of Social Democracy and the real, practised approach in Sweden at the time. Books work as normal crime novels too, by the way.

Fakeedit: Don't read the Millenium triology, though. It's not very good.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

Man, you can't even take "yes" for an answer.

Now that's a lawyer.

Thanatosian posted:

Has the "crazy man on PCP able to murder a hundred cops" myth ever actually, verifiably happened?

It's the standard excuse for excessive force and police militarization, and it has all the hallmarks of a War On Drugs Old Wives' Tale.

I dunno, but for some reason you still hear the whole "weed laced with PCP" thing every week on some local or national news story, and it makes my head hurt every goddamn time. Not even the bugfuck-craziest drug dealer on the planet would ever, ever lace weed with PCP and sell it as plain marijuana -- nor would any user of either drug want to mix the effects of both. And yet the anchorman will inevitably speculate that Michael Brown's weed might have been laced.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Cops went to higher calibers for two reasons.

The first reason is Platt and the second is Matix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04dUCT-qO3c

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mdemone posted:

Now that's a lawyer.

I dunno, but for some reason you still hear the whole "weed laced with PCP" thing every week on some local or national news story, and it makes my head hurt every goddamn time. Not even the bugfuck-craziest drug dealer on the planet would ever, ever lace weed with PCP and sell it as plain marijuana -- nor would any user of either drug want to mix the effects of both. And yet the anchorman will inevitably speculate that Michael Brown's weed might have been laced.

I work with people who literally think people smoke joints soaked in formaldehyde

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rscott posted:

I work with people who literally think people smoke joints soaked in formaldehyde

What, fry?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

rscott posted:

Sherm sticks, butt nakeds. Dip, make a nigga flip.

It's a real thing but in only the worst, bottom of the barrel desperate situation, like (even more than usual) poison meth and krokodil.

The hallmark of a fake drug is that it involves something shameful and embarrassing, like jenkem, and something idiot kids have reasonable access to, like whippets and the choking game.

zoux posted:

Someone on reddit posted this album of Russian tombstones.
http://imgur.com/a/CcyXm

These are all hilariously tacky, but then you read the ages and it's :smith:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

visceril posted:

The hallmark of a fake drug is that it involves something shameful and embarrassing, like jenkem, and something idiot kids have reasonable access to, like whippets and the choking game.
When you say "fake drug," what, exactly do you mean? Because whippets are absolutely a real thing.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

mdemone posted:

Now that's a lawyer.

My mom believes this to be true as well. I tried explaining how wasting a bunch of PCP by pouring it out on weed is selling it for much less than it's worth, too; she still doesn't get it.

psychic chasms
Oct 23, 2012

SCREWED UP CLICK TILL THEY LAY ME IN MY CASKET
http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/in-defense-of-looting/

What do y'all think of this article? My shitheel conservative friend just sent it to me with some smug comment about how "thought-provoking" it was and I'm not sure if he's trolling me (he is).

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

When you say "fake drug," what, exactly do you mean? Because whippets are absolutely a real thing.

I mean, I know people do it, but I didn't think it actually made you high. More like a psychosomatic thing or at best just cutting oxygen off to your brain like the choking game. Not an actual psychotropic

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

visceril posted:

I mean, I know people do it, but I didn't think it actually made you high. More like a psychosomatic thing or at best just cutting oxygen off to your brain like the choking game. Not an actual psychotropic

Oh, yeah, from what I understand, that is exactly the effect (cutting off oxygen to your brain). As far as I'm aware, though, that does actually produce euphoria. I mean, it's starving your brain of oxygen, but it apparently feels pretty good.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

visceril posted:

Whipped cream chargers use actual nitrous oxide which has actual pain-deadening and euphoric effects. It's literally the same gas as dentists use.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Thanatosian posted:

Oh, yeah, from what I understand, that is exactly the effect (cutting off oxygen to your brain). As far as I'm aware, though, that does actually produce euphoria. I mean, it's starving your brain of oxygen, but it apparently feels pretty good.

To really starve your brain of oxygen go huff carbon monoxide.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DemeaninDemon posted:

To really starve your brain of oxygen go huff carbon monoxide.

Are you trying to kill off TCC? Faster than they're doing it already, I mean?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Huffing carbon monoxide on a daily basis is probably less dangerous and deadly than a lot of the stuff people have gotten up to there.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Light up that charcoal grill instead for some sweet steaks once you're high on CO.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Huffing carbon monoxide on a daily basis is probably less dangerous and deadly than a lot of the stuff people have gotten up to there.

Everyone should inhale amyl nitrite everyday like good old Frank Booth! :v:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Today in "hey I should start listening to music again": listened to all of Unknown Pleasures on the beach, which was uh a contrast.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Nintendo Kid posted:

Whipped cream chargers use actual nitrous oxide which has actual pain-deadening and euphoric effects. It's literally the same gas as dentists use.

Yeah, it is called "laughing gas" for a reason. I don't think whippets are even mostly a young people thing. The people I've met doing hippy crack are all different ages.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

LorrdErnie posted:

Yeah, it is called "laughing gas" for a reason. I don't think whippets are even mostly a young people thing. The people I've met doing hippy crack are all different ages.

Back in high school one of my cousins who's about the same age as me worked at a supermarket got accused by his rear end in a top hat manager of doing whippets off of the passed-date whipped cream cans before throwing them out (he hadn't). That's really the only reason I've had for thinking of them as a think teenage wasteoids do, up there with chugging cough syrup and sneaking your parent's boozeand jenkem.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Huh, I didn't know some cans use actual nitro. I maybe didn't know this because for some reason everyone I knew ate cool whip which comes in a tub

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

visceril posted:

Huh, I didn't know some cans use actual nitro. I maybe didn't know this because for some reason everyone I knew ate cool whip which comes in a tub

Well it's pretty much all cans. Nitrous oxide is dirt cheap to produce, is safe to use with food and drink, and has excellent propellant characteristics for the same.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well it's pretty much all cans. Nitrous oxide is dirt cheap to produce, is safe to use with food and drink, and has excellent propellant characteristics for the same.
Keeps stuff fresh too, which is why it's used in chip bags and everything else. I'm not a scientist, so I have no idea why, but whatever qualities "air" has makes things stale, while nitrogen keeps things crispy and fresh.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
So did they replace CFCs with NO2? I was old enough to be aware of CFC=bad, but young enough to not care/be ignorant of it.

Now that I think about it I actually don't use aerosols. My mom never once bought cheese whiz, and the cool whip I mentioned. And the cleaning supplies are spray bottles instead of aerosol cans

Is the nitrogen why the loving chip bag is only halfway full? Because gently caress that nonsense

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I don't know about CFCs but I do know that Nitros Oxide is not (physically) addictive, doesn't cause long term damage to the brain, and basically the lowest rung on the hippie drug ladder. Everyone's on acid and 2cb and there may have been some heroin in this X but it only went south when someone lugged out the NOs tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Oxygen in the air is very reactive and makes food go bad. So does drying it out. And bacteria. poo poo we named a reaction type oxidation for that reason (sort of).

CFCs are horrible because they aren't consumed when eating ozone. So they go about chowing down on ozone molecules until they bounce into something that neutralizes it. One CFC molecule eats up 100s of ozones. It isn't exactly that concentrated up there to begin with. So obviously the place up there healed once we idiot humans stopped with the CFCs.

• Locked thread