Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Come to think of it, when Glasses Dad was introduced he was fighting on a roof sending out summons to attack the redhead and our hero. Then the friendly clan went and fought him on a rooftop.

This is an actual trend with him, and I hope it continues to its logical conclusion of him fighting on top of the Seoul tower.

On the Jee-han front, his healing ability is by far the strongest and most broken power he's shown that affects someone else, and isn't used just for his own defense/exam skills. When he first got it he was able to turn over a month of recovery time into an instant recovery, and he's only gotten better at it since. If he gets it to the level where he can remove his date's curse, then he could make a fine living working with the auction and selling his healing skills, with his security guaranteed through the Auction and his own increasingly better combat abilities. Basically, just beat up dudes in dungeons for healing potions and go around healing others, and you don't have to grind forever Jee-han!

The best gag of the entire manga though would be for him to become immensely powerful as a character, but not realize (or turn down) the immense money-making opportunities his ability provides due to his low wisdom, while the manga ends with him working as a gas station cashier after saving Korea. The final panel is a pop-up of his change-sorting ability leveling up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I think he's already noticed since the chapter before the current one. You know, the one where he complained(?) about his future possibly being that of a goldfarming grinder's.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ottumon posted:

I think he's already noticed since the chapter before the current one. You know, the one where he complained(?) about his future possibly being that of a goldfarming grinder's.

He means ways other than just grinding. He's capable of healing to the point where even his friend who was in the world for years was amazed. That was before he leveled it up. He'll eventually be able to like, regrow limbs, probably. Imagine how useful that'd be in a dangerous underworld.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

KittyEmpress posted:

He means ways other than just grinding. He's capable of healing to the point where even his friend who was in the world for years was amazed. That was before he leveled it up. He'll eventually be able to like, regrow limbs, probably. Imagine how useful that'd be in a dangerous underworld.
By probably I think you mean definitely. Not like permanent loss really exists in MMO land, unless we're talking about gear or experience.

Oh man if he levels up his white magic will he actually get a resurrection spell? Even with an obscenely large amount of limitations that could still be strong.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It would be pretty useful if it only applied to himself/people in his party. The limitation probably being having them in the party at the time of death, considering dead people wouldn't be able to accept party invites.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
He already has lifesteal, why can't he just invite dead people after buying a book on clairvoyance?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

NowonSA posted:

On the Jee-han front, his healing ability is by far the strongest and most broken power he's shown that affects someone else, and isn't used just for his own defense/exam skills.

nah i'm pretty sure its the ability to create rare magical items from literally nothing that is the most broken still. its also whats gonna make him a pretty huge target when those plot-dump guys from last chapter run into him

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

His concern about his future job seems strange to me. Clearly he could be an incredible doctor and save thousands of lives that no-one else could. In some a lot of ways his healing ability would be a terrible burden, you would think he would feel an incredible moral obligation to save lives that no one else can. I mean, if I had that ability I'd feel guilty any time I spent away from a hospital.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This not being Worm, it's not really a story concerned enough with the ethical ramifications of having power to give real consideration to that quandary. Luckily, the world has a built in reason he can't do that. The earth gave him his power, and it will take it away and maybe even punish him if he uses it too obnoxiously. Travelling through Africa eradicating AIDS would probably qualify.

Even if he could heal as many people as he wanted to as drastic a degree as he wanted, I don't know if making himself a slave to sick and injured people is the right choice. Eliminating diseases would be a very effective use of his time, but just going through hospitals helping sick and injured people? It doesn't seem very efficient. It might be more optimal to do things only he can, like use his item grinding to create incredibly useful goods or use his extraordinary energy generating capacity to provide free power.

It's hard to say without knowing more about the world and what he can do. Really, grinding is the best thing he can do now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
...curing AIDS is obnoxious? Unless you're trying to suggest that the universe hates altruism on a basic mechanical level? The only suggestion of the world "punishing" anything is when people manipulate luck, ie: fate.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think that the one thing we can safely say about the will of the universe here is that it has a sense of humor and finds Jee-Han amusing. After all, who do you think came up with the item descriptions for those monster drops?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
The world punishes being blatant about your supernatural capabilities in front of mundanes. That's it. Magically curing AIDS would qualify regardless of whether or not it would be a good thing to do. He could always disguise it as a new treatment of some kind, but that creates all kinds of complications in itself. There would be a lot of people very, very curious about how it's made.

EDIT: And if the world was concerned about fairness or kindness, it wouldn't have AIDS in the first place. Or a lot of other stuff.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 23, 2014

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Clarste posted:

...curing AIDS is obnoxious? Unless you're trying to suggest that the universe hates altruism on a basic mechanical level? The only suggestion of the world "punishing" anything is when people manipulate luck, ie: fate.

If I remember right what they said was that you can't been seen using magic among normals. It has to at the very least seem like you're not using magic. Running around as the second coming of jesus would probably raise a few eyebrows.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Really though, the whole secret thing is just to establish a real world setting which also has magic out the rear end. This manwha is and likely always will be a comedy, so you probably shouldn't overthink it.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Serious Frolicking posted:

Really though, the whole secret thing is just to establish a real world setting which also has magic out the rear end. This manwha is and likely always will be a comedy, so you probably shouldn't overthink it.

Yeah, this. This particular setup is one of the simplest ways to accomplish that.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I think that the one thing we can safely say about the will of the universe here is that it has a sense of humor and finds Jee-Han amusing. After all, who do you think came up with the item descriptions for those monster drops?

I just assumed it was Jee-Han's subconscious becoming increasingly bold.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Iretep posted:

If I remember right what they said was that you can't been seen using magic among normals. It has to at the very least seem like you're not using magic. Running around as the second coming of jesus would probably raise a few eyebrows.

I don't remember it saying anything like that at all. Could you link a page if possible? I may have forgotten. The only example I can remember where they talked about this was using magic to win the lottery repeatedly.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Clarste posted:

I don't remember it saying anything like that at all. Could you link a page if possible? I may have forgotten. The only example I can remember where they talked about this was using magic to win the lottery repeatedly.

Yeah, because repeatedly winning lotteries is particularly blatant, though you might be able to get away with doing it once, maybe. They also specifically discussed an example where someone used magic to make their own baked goods sell like wildfire, which was perfectly kosher because as far as people know those baked goods were just delicious and popular.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

So maybe Jee-han can just disguise his medical practice as a VERY effective and lucky doctor's office?

This manwha is and likely always will be a comedy, so you probably shouldn't overthink it.

Welcome to the thread. Overthinking is all we do.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Yeah, because repeatedly winning lotteries is particularly blatant, though you might be able to get away with doing it once, maybe. They also specifically discussed an example where someone used magic to make their own baked goods sell like wildfire, which was perfectly kosher because as far as people know those baked goods were just delicious and popular.

Basically if you can pass it off as mundane, it flies.

NowonSA posted:

So maybe Jee-han can just disguise his medical practice as a VERY effective and lucky doctor's office?

Given how much he's pumping intelligence, he might just be able to cure AIDS with good old fashioned hard work and study. Or mix them a little. Give them a genuine treatment that has a good chance of working, but if it doesn't he can make it seem like it did.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NowonSA posted:

Welcome to the thread. Overthinking is all we do.

Jee-Hans Excorcism service (and professional massage.)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That reminds me, Han-Jee Han style remove curse summons it as a physical entity he has to destroy. Time for a boss fight with a curse, teaming up with Not-So-Evil Dad.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Jee-Han Curse-B-Gone.

Doesn't rhyme in Korean but hey.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

KittyEmpress posted:

That reminds me, Han-Jee Han style remove curse summons it as a physical entity he has to destroy. Time for a boss fight with a curse, teaming up with Not-So-Evil Dad.

It's called Black Demon's Invasion, I think, so I'm betting he'll remove the curse and find that it's an entire demon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He would need to grind his curse-removal skill first.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

He would need to grind his curse-removal skill first.

Grinding that could be difficult. You need curses low enough that you could beat them. Which means going into some currently dark places and pissing off some pretty bad men

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Dukeofdummies posted:

Grinding that could be difficult. You need curses low enough that you could beat them. Which means going into some currently dark places and pissing off some pretty bad men

His life steal skill is kind of dark. Maybe if he worked on that a bit instead of forgetting it exists he'd figure out a trick for applying weak curses himself.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Desuwa posted:

His life steal skill is kind of dark. Maybe if he worked on that a bit instead of forgetting it exists he'd figure out a trick for applying weak curses himself.

I'm still pissed that he effectively threw away that basics of magic book the moment he realized he'd have to actually read it to learn anything

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The first page of the book explains that earth golems are terribly weak to curses and the second page explains how to remove curses from frail young women.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If he didn't throw it aside he wouldn't be able to find it again next year after suffering a major setback and discover the Fireball, Frostbolt and Grand Cure tearout pages in the middle of the book.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I think if that book had any useful information he could actually apply, he'd have gotten a prompt. If its just theories and fundamentals of magic, I don't see that being terribly useful to him since he breaks all the normal rules anyway. The most it could do for him would be give him ideas of how to use his mana manipulation, but without teaching him HOW to do it.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Bybus Slago posted:

I think if that book had any useful information he could actually apply, he'd have gotten a prompt. If its just theories and fundamentals of magic, I don't see that being terribly useful to him since he breaks all the normal rules anyway. The most it could do for him would be give him ideas of how to use his mana manipulation, but without teaching him HOW to do it.

He doesn't need to know how to actually do something though, he just needs to come up for an explanation why it might be. He just decided "if I spin my exploding energy bolt fast enough, it'll explode even more" and it happened. Jee Han is a hyper 6 year old and gaia is a bored babysitter just going along with it all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He knows how to form mana into shapes. So, he essentially uses it as a gun, lasso and shield. As we've seen so many times from abilities he learned elsewhere, mana is much, much more versatile and powerful than that. Even the most basic summoning manual is turning out to be incredibly complex, what with that initial pact ritual and his weird earth giant dreams.

Also, he needs to form pacts with other elements so he can grind two elemental summon skills at once. His passive regen is much higher than his upkeep costs for just the shield and gnome, so he could be grinding even more all day every day.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

New Chapter!

And now the grinding includes getting beat down by a giantclub wielding gnome. :stare:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

New Chapter!

And now the grinding includes getting beat down by a giantclub wielding gnome. :stare:

While studying for a test...

Also the money he's making now, :stare:
And the fact he doesn't need to sleep anymore, though maybe the whole loss of sanity from lack of sleep might happen.
And the fact he doesn't take 21% of physical damage dealt to him...

He is such a cheat character.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 28, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

That's... certainly one way to grind healing skills.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair, that is a legitimate grinding strategy in something like Oblivion :v:

And helping a fair maiden in need is totally something a video game character would do!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 28, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SSNeoman posted:

To be fair, that is a legitimate grinding strategy in something Oblivion :v:

Next Week: Jee Han jumps in place to grind acrobatics, then realizes if he runs in a circle while jumping he'll also get points in athletics.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Next Week: Jee Han jumps in place to grind acrobatics, then realizes if he runs in a circle while jumping he'll also get points in athletics.

I could see this legitimately making his str/dex/vit training go up. Jumping continually makes his dex go up, and the nature of it makes his str and vit go up from weights and exhausting self.

He will bunny hop laps from now on. And get a skill that makes bunny hopping faster than walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

I could see this legitimately making his str/dex/vit training go up. Jumping continually makes his dex go up, and the nature of it makes his str and vit go up from weights and exhausting self.

He will bunny hop laps from now on. And get a skill that makes bunny hopping faster than walking.

He should learn to do somersaults instead and become Link from Ocarina of Time.