Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

In case anyone missed it, one of the letters is from Ray Bradbury, which is pretty awesome all on its own. Although as much as I love him, the teacher requesting copies for their class might top it out.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

drat, that is awesome. :)

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

GrandpaPants posted:

I'll take any excuse to repost that comic.
goddamn, this piece gets me every time

and holy poo poo, those last two letters are awesome

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Of those eight joker panels the last four are Nicholson, BtAS, modern face-ripped-off dude and Ledger right?. What're the first four? I assume the first is the original Joker, what about the rest? Third one might be Killing Joke, and sad-looking number four could be from that non-canon/retconned origin where he was just a nameless schlub who got conned into a job that ended up with him taking the chemical dump? Second I got no clue.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pierson posted:

Of those eight joker panels the last four are Nicholson, BtAS, modern face-ripped-off dude and Ledger right?. What're the first four? I assume the first is the original Joker, what about the rest? Third one might be Killing Joke, and sad-looking number four could be from that non-canon/retconned origin where he was just a nameless schlub who got conned into a job that ended up with him taking the chemical dump? Second I got no clue.

Original > Romero/'66
Aparo's/70s > Bolland's/Killing Joke

Nicholson > Animated
New52 > Ledger

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
2nd: Ceasar Romero from the 60s show.
3rd: The 70s comics Joker (Joker's 5 Way Revenge, The Laughing Fish, etc.)
4th: the Killing Joke.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Superman being casually indifferent to Joker is probably the most "Superman" moment I've enjoyed in a long time. How did that encounter end?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

Superman being casually indifferent to Joker is probably the most "Superman" moment I've enjoyed in a long time. How did that encounter end?

It reads a bit too much like smug fan-writer self-insert, but because it works (perhaps only) because it's Superman doing it, since that's exactly what he would do.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Jetfire posted:

It reads a bit too much like smug fan-writer self-insert, but because it works (perhaps only) because it's Superman doing it, since that's exactly what he would do.

There was a comedian who had a bit how in the old tv show Superman just stood there while getting shot at, while being all like "You stupid bastard, I'm Superman". And then, when the shooter ran out out of bullets, he'd throw the empty gun, which was a heavy prop that the actor George Reeves would of course duck! I saw that bit when I was young, I wish I could remember the comedian, but that is probably the element of Superman I love most.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Literally Kermit posted:

Superman uses [hearing/visions/whateverthefuck] to trace the signal from the detonator to the bombs. He then swipes them in an instant, brings them to the Joker, and tells him again to go ahead if he'd like.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I do love when other characters' rogues galleries run into Superman and realize just how hopelessly out of their weight class they are. I remember an episode of Batman: The Animated Series where Batman was sick or injured or something and Superman covered for him in Gotham by wearing Batman's costume and pretending to be him.

He then ran into Bane and the Riddler (who seemed to be planning their version of the event that ended with Bane breaking Batman) and kicked his rear end so thoroughly that Bane was completely demoralized and Riddler was left utterly baffled.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Polaron posted:

I do love when other characters' rogues galleries run into Superman and realize just how hopelessly out of their weight class they are. I remember an episode of Batman: The Animated Series where Batman was sick or injured or something and Superman covered for him in Gotham by wearing Batman's costume and pretending to be him.

He then ran into Bane and the Riddler (who seemed to be planning their version of the event that ended with Bane breaking Batman) and kicked his rear end so thoroughly that Bane was completely demoralized and Riddler was left utterly baffled.

Funny enough, I watched that clip on YouTube last night. I seriously don't recall The Riddler's design being like that, I remember the green suit with bowler hat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlcXA_iokPc

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

I seriously don't recall The Riddler's design being like that, I remember the green suit with bowler hat.

It was one of the worse redesigns when BTAS started being "The New Batman Adventures". The character models were all redone to sort of match up to Superman: TAS's and pretty much all of the villains got bad redesigns. I don't mind a lot of them, but Riddler's is particularly bad in comparison to what he had before.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jetfire posted:

Really? I didn't like it precisely because the whole thing didn't sound right for Superman's voice at all. Especially the bit about "you know what go ahead and do it, I don't care".

Smug fan-writer self-insert is right, dude is using Superman as a sock puppet to express his grievances with the Joker. Whole thing reads like one of those comebacks you come up with AFTER a conversation.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

It was one of the worse redesigns when BTAS started being "The New Batman Adventures". The character models were all redone to sort of match up to Superman: TAS's and pretty much all of the villains got bad redesigns. I don't mind a lot of them, but Riddler's is particularly bad in comparison to what he had before.

Riddler and Catwoman probably had the worst.

The redesigns were also made to animate much easier. That's when Joker lost most of his curves in exchange for the angular everything with white pupils.

Scarecrow was pretty badass.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, it conflicts with trad Supes, but New 52 Superman is a dick. Which, you know, is one of the (many, many) reasons people aren't thrilled with the New 52.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Really? I didn't like it precisely because the whole thing didn't sound right for Superman's voice at all. Especially the bit about "you know what go ahead and do it, I don't care".

Smug fan-writer self-insert is right, dude is using Superman as a sock puppet to express his grievances with the Joker. Whole thing reads like one of those comebacks you come up with AFTER a conversation.

Got to agree with this, it reminds me of the exchange posted a while back about Scott Lang destroying and humiliating Dr. Doom utterly, where the whole thing just felt like one big extended editorial rant awkwardly fit into a comic.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

Scarecrow was pretty badass.

Yeah, the redesign of Scarecrow was great.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Arkevillain posted:

Yeah, the redesign of Scarecrow was great.

Man oh man, did that redesign scare the gently caress out of me when I was a kid. His new voice actor making him whisper was great as well.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

Man oh man, did that redesign scare the gently caress out of me when I was a kid. His new voice actor making him whisper was great as well.

Jeffrey Combs. He also did The Question on JLU.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

New Scarecrow almost balanced out the travesty of New Riddler.

Tough call.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Chinaman7000 posted:

New Scarecrow almost balanced out the travesty of New Riddler.

Tough call.

I really love that Scarecrow, but I only remember two episodes he was in. That might just be my lovely memory, though.

If anyone doesn't remember the redesign for the Riddler, here ya go.

Ugh

Myrmomancer fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 23, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Achernar posted:

It really is for the better that they re-animated the Scarecrow.

:haw:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Achernar posted:

Jeffrey Combs, you may remember, was also Herbert West: Reanimator as well as Crawford Tillinghast in From Beyond. In other words, a great American hero

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gavok posted:

Nevermore...

should you make jokes like that.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I know, I know, but Landis actually seems to have a pretty good grasp on these characters. Even a broken clock and all that.

Forgive my ignorance but what's up with Max Landis? All I know about him is that he wrote the screenplay for the film Chronicle. Is his other work garbadge? Is he a jerk? What?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Polaron posted:

Then there's the bit where Superman reveals he can control his vocal chords precisely enough to perfectly emulate Batman's voice. And Robin's, which freaks him out.

Nyeehg posted:

Forgive my ignorance but what's up with Max Landis? All I know about him is that he wrote the screenplay for the film Chronicle. Is his other work garbadge? Is he a jerk? What?

I've heard that he's kind of a representative for the "These comics are Very Serious! Look how many arms get ripped off in this issue! Take me seriously!" fan stereotype. If true, not a problem in itself, but it can rub people the wrong way.

However, my only exposure to him is a Spider-Man fanfic he wrote something like 12 years ago called The Shocker: Legit, which starts off okay and had a cool enough premise (not unlike Superior Foes, in some senses), but then descends into Mary Sue Shocker vibrating the adamantium plate out of Hammerhead's skull, exploding Bullseye's testicles, and the main villain is the Shocker's dad, who plots to kill Galactus with a gamma bomb so he can loot the corpse.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 23, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

New Leaf posted:

Funny enough, I watched that clip on YouTube last night. I seriously don't recall The Riddler's design being like that, I remember the green suit with bowler hat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlcXA_iokPc

That was hilarous. Two things I loved about this: when Robin says "he's been workin' out" in maybe the smuggest voice possible, and when you realize that Superman was still taking it easy every time he was punching Bane. He had to be careful not to explode the guy like something out of Invincible.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, Bane's essentially in a wrestling match where Supes is selling all his moves for him and he doesn't even know it.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I may be the only one who doesn't like the Scarecrow redesign. It's just too different (it was a while before I even realized who it was supposed to be.)

On the bright side of that horrible Riddler design, at least we didn't have to see it often. He only showed up two or three times in New Batman Adventures. Don't remember if any of those were even speaking roles.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nyeehg posted:

I personally don't have a problem with the guy, like, at all beyond maybe those unsubstantiated rumors and the usual twinge of jealousy I get when I see someone who is truly truly privileged, but some people really flat-out hate the guy.

People give him a lot of poo poo for being John Landis' son-- he's a clear son of privilege, John Landis is a monster, etc. etc. etc.

Then there's the fact that in his video presentations he comes across both as a smug Hollywood princeling (cause he almost unquestionably is) who can make literal :goonsay: videos guest-starring Elijah Wood and Ron Howard, has a very cocksure demeanor that indicates someone whose capacity to sound right far exceeds their capacity to be right, talks about superheroes which just plain pisses some people off, and there are unsubstantiated (to my knowledge) rumors that he does lovely PUA things at bars with no success and has some sexist/"nice guy"/MRA/what have you views.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Squidster posted:

Adventures of Superman #40

The dialogue strikes me as dumb (and that's before I realized it was Landis), but drat that art; I especially love these two pages, where the art is eight different portrayals of the Joker. God drat I want just those panels, no dialogue, put on a poster.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

mind the walrus posted:

I personally don't have a problem with the guy, like, at all beyond maybe those unsubstantiated rumors and the usual twinge of jealousy I get when I see someone who is truly truly privileged, but some people really flat-out hate the guy.

People give him a lot of poo poo for being John Landis' son-- he's a clear son of privilege, John Landis is a monster, etc. etc. etc.

Then there's the fact that in his video presentations he comes across both as a smug Hollywood princeling (cause he almost unquestionably is) who can make literal :goonsay: videos guest-starring Elijah Wood and Ron Howard, has a very cocksure demeanor that indicates someone whose capacity to sound right far exceeds their capacity to be right, talks about superheroes which just plain pisses some people off, and there are unsubstantiated (to my knowledge) rumors that he does lovely PUA things at bars with no success and has some sexist/"nice guy"/MRA/what have you views.

Doogz has some great stories about how trash Max Landis is from when they both were at Morrison's convention.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It wouldn't shock me in the least and I'd love to hear them. The kid definitely seems like he could be a real shitheel. I just give him the benefit of the doubt because for whatever reason he doesn't automatically piss me off.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

mind the walrus posted:

It wouldn't shock me in the least and I'd love to hear them. The kid definitely seems like he could be a real shitheel. I just give him the benefit of the doubt because for whatever reason he doesn't automatically piss me off.

Well, here's a video of him making GBS threads on the Death and Return of Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

And here's his pitch, which features:

• 17,000 kryptonian corpses. (10:50)
  • Doomsday ripping people in half (11:30)
  • Killing various characters (12:00, 14:45) Note that this would have to be shown in comics.
  • Green Lantern's guts, and other heroes dismemberment's(16:30)
  • And Finally, The Unnecessarily Gory Death of Superman (21:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RWMc-EdDRY

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked the Atomic Skull part of the first N52 Action Comics Annual that he wrote.
It was wordless, mind you.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Flesh Forge posted:

Jeffrey Combs, you may remember, was also Herbert West: Reanimator as well as Crawford Tillinghast in From Beyond. In other words, a great American hero

Don't forget he starred in a Dr. Strange movie that lost the license somewhere in production, Doctor Mordrid, and voices The Leader. A treasure indeed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Got to agree with this, it reminds me of the exchange posted a while back about Scott Lang destroying and humiliating Dr. Doom utterly, where the whole thing just felt like one big extended editorial rant awkwardly fit into a comic.

Counterpoint: That was cool :colbert:

Honestly, I feel like as cool a bad guy as Doom is, some of the best moments are when he gets owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Gavok posted:

Just don't send him to talk to Worf again. :v: