Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Waffleman_ posted:

Mario and Luigi also have different builds. Dark Pit is literally a pallet swap of Pit.

Okay, Ness and Lucas then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Any excuse to show more people how awesome Mother 3 is

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Egg on my face if the leak ends up being real, but I consider Dark Pit to be one of the reasons the leak isn't real. It's just too stupid for me. A palette swap as a separate character? :crossarms:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zonekeeper posted:

There's no way in hell this is a "touch up". The proportions are completely different, the X/Y model has way more polygons, and the models share no animations in common. What you said is true for Pokemon Battle Revolution, which used the exact same animations with a touched up model, but the X/Y one is completely new.

He's talking about the Battle Revolution models. Here's Mewtwo's from that.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

mewtwo still got better treatment than morrigan, who was forced to use the same spritesheet for like ten years worth of games

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Cleretic posted:

He's talking about the Battle Revolution models. Here's Mewtwo's from that.

:downs: Welp, that will teach me to read things better. I thought he was referring to the XY models.

Edit:

Excels posted:

mewtwo still got better treatment than morrigan, who was forced to use the same spritesheet for like ten years worth of games

Yeah, no matter how lazy they were backporting the 64 models to PBR, nothing compares to that. It was a common joke before MvC3 came out that Morrigan would be the same sprite as always fighting the other characters with new 3D models.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 23, 2014

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Zonekeeper posted:

There's no way in hell this is a "touch up". The proportions are completely different, the X/Y model has way more polygons, and the models share no animations in common. What you said is true for Pokemon Battle Revolution,

Which is exactly what he was talking about. But PBR did update a whopping 2 old pokemon with new models (Psyduck and Scyther).

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Your Computer posted:

Egg on my face if the leak ends up being real, but I consider Dark Pit to be one of the reasons the leak isn't real. It's just too stupid for me. A palette swap as a separate character? :crossarms:

Dark Pit was a pretty important character in Kid Icarus Uprising, and even playable for a few segments of the game.

He looks just like normal Pit, but he's got a pretty distinct personality, and there's a lot of other weapons from that game that he could use that Pit doesn't.

Assuming the leak is real, he probably was just a costume for Pit initially(but had some unique voice acting) and then like Lucina they made him a separate character when it came down to crunch time. It's easier to make multiple clone characters that it is to make just one extra new character.

I like Dark Pit. I think it's a weird choice for a full new character, but if it was pretty low effort I guess it makes sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Ness and Lucas have different heads, giving them a different silhouette.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zonekeeper posted:

There's no way in hell this is a "touch up". The proportions are completely different, the X/Y model has way more polygons, and the models share no animations in common. What you said is true for Pokemon Battle Revolution, which used the exact same animations with a touched up model, but the X/Y one is completely new.

I think you misread. What ChaosArgate was saying was for PBR (which, as you've said, did use the Stadium models), not for XY. See the post he's answering to. I don't think anyone could think the XY models were the same as the Stadium series ones, but it was really obvious all the home console games reused the same models.

hup posted:

If dark pit looks just like pit but how are you going to tell them apart if he's actually in it

To be perfectly honest, this is the only reason that makes me doubt if Dark Pit will get in. They look exactly the same, making palettes that are distinct enough won't be easy.
I'm sure Dark Pit will be in in some way, don't get me wrong, but I have to wonder if him as a playable character, clone or otherwise, is feasible. It might be more realistic to think he'll get in as an alternate costume for Pit like in Brawl (being what gave birth to Dark Pit in the first place), but with different sound clips so he's fully Dark Pit (same VA, anyways).

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Waffleman_ posted:

Ness and Lucas have different heads, giving them a different silhouette.

They both look about the same, shrunk down to the same size on the 3DS screen. I just don't think it's an issue. People know what characters they're fighting, even if they look similar. It's not like you're going to see someone change characters mid-match.

Have you ever had trouble telling Kirby and Jigglypuff apart? There's a lot of similar looking characters in these games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But Pit and Dark Pit are more than similar, dude. They're loving identical.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

And, like everyone else in the game, they can have different color schemes that keep them separated visually.

I get what you're saying, I just don't think it's an issue.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

Dark Pit was a pretty important character in Kid Icarus Uprising, and even playable for a few segments of the game.

He looks just like normal Pit, but he's got a pretty distinct personality, and there's a lot of other weapons from that game that he could use that Pit doesn't.

Assuming the leak is real, he probably was just a costume for Pit initially(but had some unique voice acting) and then like Lucina they made him a separate character when it came down to crunch time. It's easier to make multiple clone characters that it is to make just one extra new character.

I like Dark Pit. I think it's a weird choice for a full new character, but if it was pretty low effort I guess it makes sense.

I get that he was more important than, say, Dark Link (who people also have rumored to be in every Smash game ever), but it's still literally a palette swap. It seems below Sakurai/the team to include a character such as that and they've never done it before. Even palette swaps have more difference (see Jigglypuff or Pikachu), so I just think it's farfetched.

e: Farfetch'd for Smash 4!?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 23, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Zonekeeper posted:

I don't know who you think said X/Y reused the Stadium models???

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

:downs: Welp, that will teach me to read things better. I thought he was referring to the XY models.

I already admitted that I misread the post, y'all can stop quoting me and calling me out as an idiot. I beat you to it. :v:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

maybe they'll take liberties and make his wings bigger of something, idk. I can't imagine that, if the leak is real, Sakurai would overlook the fact that the two characters are identical looking. Somehow you'll be able to tell the two apart. maybe dark pit will have terrible posture and a gross hunchback. or high heels

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

And, like everyone else in the game, they can have different color schemes that keep them separated visually.

I get what you're saying, I just don't think it's an issue.

I've had colorblind friends who couldn't tell differently colored Kirby and Jigglypuff apart so I think you may be overestimating how good of an idea it is to just differentiate people by color.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Sakurai made Dark Pit, he'll figure it all out.

I have faith in him, all he's ever tried to do is make fun games that everybody can enjoy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zonekeeper posted:

I already admitted that I misread the post, y'all can stop quoting me and calling me out as an idiot. I beat you to it. :v:

But calling people idiots is what this thread is for more than anything else. Do you at least have an unpopular choice for who you would like in the game or utilize an awkward control scheme while playing? Give us something here, Christ.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

TTBF posted:

I've had colorblind friends who couldn't tell differently colored Kirby and Jigglypuff apart so I think you may be overestimating how good of an idea it is to just differentiate people by color.

Even if you're colorblind (which I am, incidentally) you should be able to tell the difference between 'black wings+dark colors' and 'white wings+bright colors'.

I'll drop this, though. I don't think we're going to find a middle ground on this argument. Just have to wait and see if the leak was real or not and how it's handled if he's an actual seperate character.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dark Pit, with alternate voice, would be a really cool alt costume. I'm less convinced about a unique character.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

But calling people idiots is what this thread is for more than anything else. Do you at least have an unpopular choice for who you would like in the game or utilize an awkward control scheme while playing? Give us something here, Christ.

Alright, fine. I want the Duck Hunt Dog "leak" to be real so I can spam that loving laugh at people online 24/7 and I plan on eschewing Gamecube controllers entirely in favor of the Wii U Pro Controller.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

maybe they'll take liberties and make his wings bigger of something, idk. I can't imagine that, if the leak is real, Sakurai would overlook the fact that the two characters are identical looking. Somehow you'll be able to tell the two apart. maybe dark pit will have terrible posture and a gross hunchback. or high heels

This, I could get behind. But by the looks of it, this leak is literally a recolor.

Bicyclops posted:

I've never touched X, Y or the C-stick while playing Smash. Ever :ohdear:
e: And I think Duck Hunt is plain boring. Dog makes me yawn.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Online, Wiimotes only, Duck Hunt Dog, Pokefloats

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Your Computer posted:

I've never touched X, Y or the C-stick while playing Smash. Ever :ohdear:

This is hosed up, and your emoticon will not protect you from my wrath. Prepare your steel.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

This is hosed up, and your emoticon will not protect you from my wrath. Prepare your steel.

What about this emoticon? :kiddo:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zonekeeper posted:

Alright, fine. I want the Duck Hunt Dog "leak" to be real so I can spam that loving laugh at people online 24/7 and I plan on eschewing Gamecube controllers entirely in favor of the Wii U Pro Controller.

Ha, look at this jabroni. How about I sell you a magical unicorn, genius? Here's a leak for you: Sakurai says your laughing dog taunt is a terrible idea.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Excels posted:

Online, Wiimotes only, Duck Hunt Dog, Pokefloats

God, I want PokeFloats back so badly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

majormonotone posted:

God, I want PokeFloats back so badly.

:smith::hf::smith:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Poke Floats was based around having a fixed camera at a 4:3 aspect ratio, so it would need to be adapted to widescreen. I think you'd be more likely to see a new version than have the original return.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

EDIT: No joke, Pokefloats is one of my favorite stages to play on.

Zonekeeper posted:

I plan on eschewing Gamecube controllers entirely in favor of the Wii U Pro Controller.

The Pro Controller is super rad, and I will be using it or the Gamepad personally, but I wanted the adaptor for Project: M anyways, so I got that version.

Also because MY GIRLFRIEND hates the Pro for Smash for some reason? I think she'd get used to it after more then 5 minutes of gaming, but we won't know until the winter, and possibly never.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Poke Floats was based around having a fixed camera at a 4:3 aspect ratio, so it would need to be adapted to widescreen. I think you'd be more likely to see a new version than have the original return.
It'd be pretty weird to only feature first and second gen Pokemon in 2014 so hell yeah bring on Pokefloats 2.

e: I wonder what we'll see in terms of retro gimmick stages like Flat Zone/Subcon/the rest. So far there's the Pac-Man stages and the Game Boy one, hopefully there'll be some others.

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 23, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

A bunch of new pokemon have come out since then, so that's justification enough for Poke Floats 2. (The old one predated Drifblim. :colbert:)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the first gen was the best one, gen3 was ok. the rest are pretty ehh

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I would like to see Pokefloats come back, but only if they changed the background to make it look like you weren't in some featureless void, and make the models actually look like floats instead of just leftover Pokemon models. It was a fun stage, but it was also really obviously a low effort addition, and it deserves better than that.

Excels posted:

the first gen was the best one, gen3 was ok. the rest are pretty ehh

this is wrong

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

You mean to say Gen 2.
Gen 3 is my least favorite, because it's where they stopped designing Pokemon for an 8 bit device and started putting random squiggles and lines on them, making them look less like animals. Though there are exceptions to this for early gens.

I also really like Gen 1 and 2's designs because in general Gen 1 tends to focus on triangles predominetly with rounded edges and circles, while Gen 2 does Ovals with triangles secondary predominantly.

...Or so I've always felt.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
They should just bring back all the N64 and Melee stages (except Rainbow Cruise because it sucked).

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Suspicious Cook posted:

(except Rainbow Cruise because it sucked).

I can't express how wrong you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Suspicious Cook posted:

(except Rainbow Cruise because it sucked).

Maybe it's actually you who sucks because that stage is loving hilarious, especially if you are playing with Falcon or the Dorf.

• Locked thread