Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I still have a subscription to MAD. It's still a pretty fun read, although I think it's been dumbed down over the years.

Jane's World

BUT I DON'T HAVE VOLUME 7! At least she's just referencing now, rather than actually adding another layer of flashback.

Non Sequitur

Not super funny, Wiley, but a lot better than earlier this week.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban

:v:

9 Chickweed Lane 8/22/2003

Whatever. Ok, Brooke, it's quittin' time. On to something marginally interesting now.

Zits

Stop deflating his ego. He's just being resourceful.

Kevin & Kell

Huh. I really figured on a Sikh today.

Yep, it's way overrated, Nemi. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mary Worth

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

Disappointed it's not Aldo.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

This was the happiest day in Nathan Explosion's life.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

My Lovely Horse posted:

Having grown up on MAD magazines that were outdated even then, it's incredibly strange to see Sergio Aragones take on something relatively current. He hasn't lost his touch one bit though.

Sergio's one of those rare cartoonists that actually researches things he's drawing cartoons about. Which means that he watched the Twilight movies in order to draw those strips.

I hope you appreciate all the sacrifices he makes for all of us :colbert:

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 22, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Howard the Duck

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears feels the love.

The Dinette Set is passive-agressive.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set is passive-agressive.

smalltownamerica dot gif, right here

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Mister Beeg posted:

(MAD # 241, September 1983)

That Atari 2600 is really, really accurate! Think about it-- when was the last time you say a video game depicted in fiction that well?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ema Nymton posted:

That Atari 2600 is really, really accurate! Think about it-- when was the last time you say a video game depicted in fiction that well?
Mad knew their target audience.

(not sure what the box above the cartridge lid is supposed to be but anyhoo)

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Those garden shears and axe are looking pretty good right now.

I can't think of any better solution to Dustin's chronic underemployment problem than going to law school! Steve Kelley really knows what's up!

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Dag's gonna drive the store out of business.

On the Fastrack

So he's the embodiment of loading times?

What's the venue? A cybercafe in Second Life?

Safe Havens

I was gonna say there is no traffic in space but then I remembered this is a Holbrook comic so there probably are all sorts of space travelers with everyday consumer needs.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 22, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That ship looks like the perfect candidate for getting its poo poo wrecked by micro-meteors.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Green Intern posted:

That ship looks like the perfect candidate for getting its poo poo wrecked by micro-meteors.

He probably gets off on that, too.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Haven't posted Peter Bagge in a while

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I am not going to make any jokes about Inciting a Riot Comix.

Pooch Café

I dunno, I think 'Mindless Horde Attack' can fall under the gloom of night part. Lots of stuff falls under that.

Ballard Street

Those programmable scrolling LED signs are getting pretty cheap nowadays, Marcus should get one of those. You can fit whole paragraphs on one of those, and even have little dancing middle finger transitions.

poo poo, maybe I should get one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

What a face on that kid

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Lapinlahden Linnut: PR Gig

Some things in need of explaining:

3-4) Yep, all these reality tv formats run here too...

5) The flyer features Centre Party's Sirkka-Liisa Anttila who at the time (2011) was our minister of agriculture. The mission itself is a reference to a bunch of explicit SMS sent by former foreign minister and parliament's vice chairman Ilkka Kanerva to a bunch of ladies.

6) Jolo hostage crisis of 2000 was a thing because two out of the 20 hostages were Finnish. How bad was it? Awful. All of the hostages survived thanks to Muammar Gaddafi paying the ransom but then a Finnish schlager band decided to make a song of the dynamic duo's hardships. What kind of madness drives someone to inflict such horrors on innocent people???

7) Estonia is Finland's place to go for dirt cheap & badly done & potentially deadly plastic surgeries.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Candorville

Even in death Robin can't escape the sadness. :smith:

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

Tales from the Duck Side (Mad # 317, March 1993)

Spy vs. Spy (Mad # 317, March 1993)

The Lighter Side of...

(MAD # 241, September 1983)

(Mad # 317, March 1993)
After Bill Gaines died, Dave semi-retired the boss character in his "Office" strips. He still appeared, but only as a picture on the wall reacting to the antics.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

That was remarkably effective.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (August 24, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (March 19-21, 1951)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Prepare yourself for the shock of the new Steve Dallas in today's Bloom County.

Tiger lessons continue in Calvin And Hobbes.

Ripley's

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Oh, Brother

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kammat posted:

That was remarkably effective.

I'm just amused that Modesty and Willie actually have a name for Modesty getting 'em out to distract baddies. It's like their Fastball Special.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

So it's not the first guy who has a shitload of trash despite no clients for a week, AND a coffee carafe that he could have poisoned?

E: And no hat at all.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It's obvious this strip is actually about Guy Gilchrist climbing into Fritzi's tits to tell us that we needn't worry, he's never ever ever ever ever going to try to make Nancy anything but saccharine sickly glurge. Let's take it at face value for a minute, though.

Fritzi writes a column about geezer music, right? And she's assuring everybody that there's no way in hell she's going to say anything about these musicians other than the same rose-colored leave-it-to-Beaver sanitized "wasn't everything so much nicer back then" bullshit you hear about everything else from back in your grandpappy's day. But everybody knows that image isn't true, least of all in showbiz. Musicians weren't doing any less drinking and fighting pill popping and screwing and shooting up back then than they are now. There's gotta be tons of interesting stories about the music business back in the old days and that would make for an amazing column that people might actually read. Sounds like an interesting idea to me.

But whatevs. Boy Homer and Jethro sure did play music back when music was still good, right? I get tears in my eyes whenever I crank their tunes out on my Victrola. There! That's gold! Print it!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hurr! boobies!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Say Nothing posted:

Hurr! boobies!

:nws: As seen previously in The Stone Age Caper :nws:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean gives us "If you didn't see this coming from day one, you need a remedial reading comprehension course."

This is the way the plotline ends. Not with a bang, but a wet fart.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Sam usually says that when he throws away anything smaller than a fifty from his wallet.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

She made it clear she had a gun when she pulled a gun on him just two strips ago. Jesus Christ, Brooke, is it too much to ask for you stop jerking off long enough to at least try to follow your own stupid plotline?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Yeesh, you'd think the water would have washed at least some of that pigeon crap off.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Pickles forgets how easy it is to vacuum around a seated person.

Bleeker has never worn that before, so he shouldn't blame Skip for calling it stupid-looking.

Tiggum posted:

Candorville

This is so lovely. It's condescending, insulting, and in bad taste. I have no idea how Guy Gilchrist can top it with a single daily.

Can Jedis turn their hands completely backwards?

Midnight Moth posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

John 3:16 paraphrased: "Honey, I love you so much, I killed my kid for you, so we can be together forever."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

That an old woman is calling email "new technology" is probably the most realistic thing I've seen in Mary Worth in a long time.

Rex Morgan MD

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club
Sisters of Mercy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove