Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'd figure purple with yellow for the doors and the banding between the armor plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Trip report: spent the last few hours in the shower scrubbing my filthy scrunts.

Can't seem to get the gunk off this one scrunt in particular. I've only using my fingers to try and get it clean, but maybe there's some sort of tool or implement I can use to really get deep into the crevices????

Help me clean my filthy scrunt!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Greyish Orange posted:

So I'm going to paint my old GW miniatures in this style

How could I adapt the paint scheme to a Razorback? Mainly purple/blue with yellow doors and accents?

All purple with armor banding and top hatch yellow.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

That Night Lords contemptor looks rad as gently caress and will easily work in 40k. I'm not a fan of the modeled caution stripes on the Iron Warriors contemptor. I get the appeal, but it's just much more satisfying to paint the stripes (also, it looks better).

The IW head is cool, but the rest of it is really derpy looking. Everything from the silly arm poses, to the fact they didn't even paint the drat thing, there is no back view, two of the images are duplicates... yeah, nobody is crazy about that model.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Can someone provide a brief summary of who Nagash is, and what the prevailing thought on this 'end times' stuff is? Is it a lead-in to the supposedly delayed WHFB edition?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

krushgroove posted:

Can someone provide a brief summary of who Nagash is, and what the prevailing thought on this 'end times' stuff is? Is it a lead-in to the supposedly delayed WHFB edition?

Ancient Egyptian priest who captured a Dark Elf sorceress and forced her to teach him magic, then took it and ran with it and invented necromancy, eventually killing everyone in Ancient Egypt (Nehekara) and raising them as undead. Unfortunately for him, he got murdered in the middle of it so they came back as free-willed and kinda annoyed. Fortunately for him, it's kind of hard to actually kill a dude who is basically the god of Undeath in mortal form and so he keeps coming back. Someone loving with his notes also created the Vampires, and every time he comes back he tries to make the Vampires his bitches again along with all the other undead. His big goal is basically to kill everyone because he can rule over the dead, so once everyone's dead, he'll rule the world.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It really is the perfect plan and sound logic , " Control the dead, make everyone dead, control the world".

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

krushgroove posted:

skulls

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Nerds + cheesecake = money. My favorite was when some douche on Dakka started giving Victoria Lamb a hard time for not making her models "feminine" enough, IE: sexy cheesecake models. For once other people on Dakka were decent and told the guy to go screw.

I don't mind molded caution stripes because hard lines can be hard to paint on flat surfaces. It doesn't make any sense physically, but if it'll help my lines look cleaner I'm into it. If I get a Fire Raptor, I'll have to figure out how to do caution stripes on those big flat surfaces cleanly, since masking tape always ends up shoring up at the edges and looking awful on my stuff.

I take it you're using the blue painter's tape here? I usually start with yellow, do my shading, and then mark the black areas to-be with a pencil (then paint in the lines). But on larger stuff yeah, I might try thin painter's tape, unless you're saying it will gently caress things up. Are you painting on the tape by hand with a small brush or spraypainting or what?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Boon posted:

I don't really see how that can be taken any other way.

Just because it is dependent on your Mastery Level doesn't mean it's the same as your Mastery Level. If you are limited to, say, Mastery Level + 10 powers per turn, that is a situation where your maximum number of powers is dependent on your ML.

Moreover, there exists at least one psyker in the game, namely Ahriman, for whom that limitation makes no sense at all- if he can only cast four powers per turn, his ability to use each Witchfire three times is functionally almost useless. because of that, and because the "limitation" itself is worded in such an amazingly ambiguous way as to give essentially no direction at all, I think simply letting people cast as many powers as they have dice for is perfectly fine. It rarely even happens that you'll go for that many, much less more than that- it simply isn't reliable enough.

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress 700,000 dollars?!

https://nr-004.appspot.com/www.kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/raging-heroes-the-toughest-girls-of-the-galaxy

To be fair though, they are rather impressive.

Raging Heroes, and more specifically the Toughest Girls stuff, is a prime example of a pretty talented sculptor doing work I don't really like at all. A handful of the sculpts in the kickstarter are okay, but most of them are pretty blatantly exploitative pinup garbage, which is not exactly something that the sci-fi 28mm miniatures world was lacking in. Oh, look, tits, high heels, bare midriffs and v-neck shirts, how amazingly new and original.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Painters tape will definitely shore up by hand - I haven't had an issue with the one or two times I tested with primers.

If I'm hazard striping by hand, I tend to stipple the yellow using painters tape, as I like to weather it later anyway. :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

I take it you're using the blue painter's tape here? I usually start with yellow, do my shading, and then mark the black areas to-be with a pencil (then paint in the lines). But on larger stuff yeah, I might try thin painter's tape, unless you're saying it will gently caress things up. Are you painting on the tape by hand with a small brush or spraypainting or what?
I've mostly just used the masking tape I got in my art kit in college, which is probably showing its age by now. I've either done that or just freehanded it. I'm painting by hand, but last time I used spray it still shored up. I feel like I'd have to be really dry to build up that color without it shoring up at the edges of the tape or what have you.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Are melta bombs a weapon that Salamanders can master-craft? If there's no official clarity, I'll settle for the NoVA or Adepticon FAQ.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Moola posted:

Trip report: spent the last few hours in the shower scrubbing my filthy scrunts.

Can't seem to get the gunk off this one scrunt in particular. I've only using my fingers to try and get it clean, but maybe there's some sort of tool or implement I can use to really get deep into the crevices????

Help me clean my filthy scrunt!

Maybe if you practiced better hygiene your scrunt would not be so nasty. At this point there's nothing you can do except knuckle down, lather up, and really work your fingers into that scrunt. Give it a good scrubbing and really rub that mess out out of the scrunt.

Scrunt.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Exinos posted:

Maybe if you practiced better hygiene your scrunt would not be so nasty. At this point there's nothing you can do except knuckle down, lather up, and really work your fingers into that scrunt. Give it a good scrubbing and really rub that mess out out of the scrunt.

Scrunt.

Thanks, I've actually got a few guys coming over later who are gonna help me with my scrunt.

I'm hoping with a few more hands we'll really be able to dig deep and the gunk out of that scrunt.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Ancient Egyptian priest who captured a Dark Elf sorceress and forced her to teach him magic, then took it and ran with it and invented necromancy, eventually killing everyone in Ancient Egypt (Nehekara) and raising them as undead. Unfortunately for him, he got murdered in the middle of it so they came back as free-willed and kinda annoyed. Fortunately for him, it's kind of hard to actually kill a dude who is basically the god of Undeath in mortal form and so he keeps coming back. Someone loving with his notes also created the Vampires, and every time he comes back he tries to make the Vampires his bitches again along with all the other undead. His big goal is basically to kill everyone because he can rule over the dead, so once everyone's dead, he'll rule the world.

Oh come on, you left the most :black101::hf::commissar: part.

After he escaped/emigrated from not-Egypt after his first assassination and founded his little undead empire, he planned to expand it into a big undead empire by inventing and casting a huge-rear end spell capable of raising all the dead in the world. Understandably worried, the Skaven council staged another assassination, only this time they wanted Nagash dead for good, so they secured the body, burned it to ash in high-powered smelting furnaces and scattered the ashes so that no random stupid necromancer with delusions of grandeur would ever resurrect him. What happened?

Well, over decades the ashes slowly drew back anyway, coalesced into a blob in a hidden backup crypt, and grew into a new body. Eventually Nagash came [un]alive back to the now rat-infested complex, killed/zombified everyone present, and then got pissed off because the Skaven had used up the huge warpstone reserves prepared for the Raise Everything spell :v:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Greyish Orange posted:

How could I adapt the paint scheme to a Razorback? Mainly purple/blue with yellow doors and accents?

The color scheme itself is extreme in its use of colors, so I'd go hard on the vehicles, too:

Paint the entire fore and aft sections of the Rhino treads, most of the turret too for Razorbacks.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm painting the Hellbrute from DV, and I don't know if it's just because I've been painting models older than the target audience of this game, but this thing's obscenely detailed. There's so much banding and tentacles and eyes and weird poo poo all over the place.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

I'm painting the Hellbrute from DV, and I don't know if it's just because I've been painting models older than the target audience of this game, but this thing's obscenely detailed. There's so much banding and tentacles and eyes and weird poo poo all over the place.

oh man, the newer chaos stuff is so baroque... I've painted some of the chosen to use as squad leaders and it takes forever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Assassin rumours are out or the book is out at least , but Holy poo poo are they bad rear end each one which is a cool throw back to 2nd edition.

loving hell, would not want to face any of them especially Vindicare or if you have a Psychic Heavy army the Cullexus who is loving crazy insane. Against a Seer Council the goddamn thing would just brutalize it and kill them on it's own.

Not only does the Cullexus nullify any Psychic Blessing or Malediction in 12 inches it has a Assault X gun that is equal to the Mastery level of Psykers in that range it's AP1 and ST5. Then any attacks against it are resolved at WS1 and BS1.

Each one of the Assassins is like this. They're all crazy good.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 23, 2014

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Greyish Orange posted:

Yellow and purple WWI-style dazzle camouflage: fire up the airbrush and bust out the masking tape

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That camouflage actually does kind of work which is weird. I don't know why though.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Hollismason posted:

That camouflage actually does kind of work which is weird. I don't know why though.

It's an optical illusion of sorts, makes your brain have a hard time figuring out which way it's facing and moving, and which parts are what. Which was handy back before computer assisted aiming and guided weapons, etc.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Edit: Nevermind

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, it's not there to hide the ship itself, but to mask its speed and heading. This makes it more difficult to lead a shot with torpedoes and what-have-you.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Hollismason posted:

The Assassin rumours are out or the book is out at least , but Holy poo poo are they bad rear end each one which is a cool throw back to 2nd edition.

loving hell, would not want to face any of them especially Vindicare or if you have a Psychic Heavy army the Cullexus who is loving crazy insane. Against a Seer Council the goddamn thing would just brutalize it and kill them on it's own.

Not only does the Cullexus nullify any Psychic Blessing or Malediction in 12 inches it has a Assault X gun that is equal to the Mastery level of Psykers in that range it's AP1 and ST5. Then any attacks against it are resolved at WS1 and BS1.

Each one of the Assassins is like this. They're all crazy good.

Yeesh, those look nasty . Wonder what the phase sword does now since they talked about all the assassins but the calidus. (at least where a friend showed me)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think it just ignores everything on a 6, which I thought was kind of under powered actually.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 23, 2014

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm replaying Dawn of War II and I'm really enjoying it. Are Chaos Rising and Retribution worth purchasing?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

reagan posted:

I'm replaying Dawn of War II and I'm really enjoying it. Are Chaos Rising and Retribution worth purchasing?

Buy the second one for the ork campaign.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, chaos rising isn't that great but Retribution is pretty funny because of the Orks.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I don't have a Tau codex, but can anyone tell me if Broadsides have access to missiles that don't require line of sight?

My friend keeps saying it's cool because they have "Ignore Cover", but I know that's not how that rule works. Just wondering if he's confusing it with another special rule they have.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I don't have a Tau codex, but can anyone tell me if Broadsides have access to missiles that don't require line of sight?

My friend keeps saying it's cool because they have "Ignore Cover", but I know that's not how that rule works. Just wondering if he's confusing it with another special rule they have.

Yes, the Smart Missile System. It can be fired without LOS, and it also happens to ignore cover.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm pretty sure Seeker missiles can be fired without LoS. Barrage weapons can, too. Ignores Cover doesn't do that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah Ignores cover does not mean , you cannot draw LOS.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Good stuff. I didn't think he was trying to cheat or anything, we're both learning the game and there are lots of rules to keep in mind.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
your friend is already a powergaming subhuman for picking tau, do not give him the benefit of the doubt. next time snap his broadside in half for his perfidy.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
On the subject of the Vindicare assassin:

quote:

Deadshot: All successful To Hit rolls made by a Vindicare Assassin, excluding Snap Shots, have the Precision Shots special rule.

quote:

Precision Shot: If a model with this special rule rolls a 6 To Hit with a shooting weapon, that shot is a ‘Precision Shot’.

The current argument about this goes two ways.

1. Vindy gets to allocate wounds when he successfully hits (at BS8) and doesn't need to roll a 6 like most characters.

2. Vindy does NOT get to allocate wounds on anything other than a 6 to hit.

1 seems to be the intent implied in the rules; 2 is more literal and would make Deadshot completely useless (doubly so since he's both an IC and has two Sniper weapons). It's worded poorly either way.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I never got around to buying a 7th ed rulebook, but I feel this is likely due to the change to precision shots in 6th-->7th. RAW now it is the second, but everyone who isn't a scrunt would play the first way.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

So i just got back from my local game store after looking at the new Daemon Hunter book(aka Grey Knights). I was going through it with some of my friends and we feel that its really bland all the cool named characters are gone and it all kinda seems lacking in the cool stuff category. I was wondering if any of you that have seen the book and have a similar or different opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It's going to come down to language; if its as quoted, it would work like 2. However, because 'Precision Shots' just lets you make a 'Precision Shot', it could easily work as 1.

Also, I'm pretty sure characters don't get Precision Shots on 6s any more.

• Locked thread