Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Strikeforce HW tourney

What was that promotion that ran an all-heavyweight card thinking it would be great and the tweet at the end of the day was "Never again"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Neurosis posted:

What was that promotion that ran an all-heavyweight card thinking it would be great and the tweet at the end of the day was "Never again"?

The first event featuring Strikeforce HW tournament fights was all heavyweight fights on the main card and it is a classic so I am disputing this mystery promotion's take on this.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bushmeister posted:

The first event featuring Strikeforce HW tournament fights was all heavyweight fights on the main card and it is a classic so I am disputing this mystery promotion's take on this.

Also UFC 146 was an all heavyweight main event and that ruled, too.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

LobsterMobster posted:

Also UFC 146 was an all heavyweight main event and that ruled, too.

It had one of the greatest UFC promos of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o7yp6JpsSE

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm watching Cage Warriors 71 right now and it surprised me that they really focused on how Cage Warriors is the way to get into the UFC for European fighters in the promo at the start of the event. Does Cage Warriors have some formalised deal with the UFC? Because it struck me as a bit strange to be so explicit in how they are a sort of feeder League for a rival promotion.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

DekeThornton posted:

I'm watching Cage Warriors 71 right now and it surprised me that they really focused on how Cage Warriors is the way to get into the UFC for European fighters in the promo at the start of the event. Does Cage Warriors have some formalised deal with the UFC? Because it struck me as a bit strange to be so explicit in how they are a sort of feeder League for a rival promotion.

well its not like it has much british competition so all theyre doing is pointing out reality, the only other notable british org is BAMMA and they're poo poo league territory

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

DekeThornton posted:

I think it is more to do with the fact that currently CW is pretty much the premium European B-leeg that regularly run events and have in a short order gotten two highly-hyped peeps in Conor McGregor and Joanne Calderwood get called up/noticed by UFC. Its probably just a way to drum up more interest in the fights, as in "we have the UFC stars of tomorrow fighting for us, come check us out".

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Don't see how that applies to Calderwood really since she had 4 fights in Invicta and 1 in CW.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think the problem there is considering them rivals when they aren't at all. There's absolutely no downside for them to admit they're a feeder league and plenty of upside.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think the problem there is considering them rivals when they aren't at all. There's absolutely no downside for them to admit they're a feeder league and plenty of upside.

Yeah, sure, but still it seemed a bit odd to me that they actually mentioned the UFC by name several times instead of just alluding to it by hyping CW as the main European promotion and similar phrases.

Either way, so far it's a fun card. Cage Warriors is pretty good, for a B-league.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Neurosis posted:

ProElite. Headlined by the classic Arlovski vs. Travis Fulton.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Bellator 127

Daniel Straus (22-5) vs. Justin Wilcox (14-6) [Main Event]

Karo Parisyan (24-10) vs. Marius Zaromskis (20-8)

Kendall Grove (19-14) vs. Christian M’Pumbu (18-6)

mewse
May 2, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

Yeah, sure, but still it seemed a bit odd to me that they actually mentioned the UFC by name several times instead of just alluding to it by hyping CW as the main European promotion and similar phrases.

Either way, so far it's a fun card. Cage Warriors is pretty good, for a B-league.

The UFC talks as little as possible about other promotions because they are #1 and not looking to give those other orgs the exposure.

However, I know exactly what you are talking about because it weirded me out when I watched my first few episodes of Inside MMA and they're talking about all these leagues outside the UFC, but also discussing the UFC and openly admitting that UFC is the best organization.

I believe both of our chagrin comes from exiting the sphere of "UFC is MMA" and delving into the wider world where the UFC is great, it's the #1 MMA org, but non-UFC MMA is pretty cool too

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The fight network was really weird for a while where they used to not be able to show any UFC clips and it was like the giant elephant in the room while they talked about/showed z-league MMA and were like YOUR NETWORK FOR FIGHT NEWS, but I think they have sooooome sort of deal now so that they can at least talk about it. Or I might be totally wrong.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/titan-mma

titan FC is live, stephan bonnar's voice is painful, this one not jeremy stevens guy is really, really ugly

Stimulus
Mar 25, 2005
Bonnar is horrendous to listen to

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Not trying to be all "bro" here but Jesus that ring girl was sad.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Hahahahahahahahhaa oh my god Ricci is no poo poo pacing around the locker room with a katana strapped to his back

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

Hahahahahahahahhaa oh my god Ricci is no poo poo pacing around the locker room with a katana strapped to his back

Mike "Hands o Steel" Ricci

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

When he fought in the UFC and walked out with the sword he promised the backstage crew that it wasn't real, but he lied.

Handsome and charming, what else do you need?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

His highly emotional walkout with a gi and katana to Phil Collins was one of the best things ever on television

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Best Friends posted:

His highly emotional walkout with a gi and katana to Phil Collins was one of the best things ever on television

Firas Zahabi literally yanking on his gi since Ricci rolled up the sleeves (because of course he does) is one of my favorite moments

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I met Ricci once, and in person he's even more exciting and vibrant.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Brilz with the sonnensault.

Wait is this a replay?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

LobsterMobster posted:

Mike "Hands o Steel" Ricci

Hahahahaha

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CommonShore posted:

I met Ricci once, and in person he's even more exciting and vibrant.

Go on

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well he stands and stares vacantly with a closed mouth in that vacant way. It's just magnetic when you see it in person :frogdowns:

mewse
May 2, 2006

I could have met Ricci at my gym one time but I didn't know about it because I had closed my facebook account :saddowns:

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Greg Jackson posted:

I could have met Ricci at my gym one time but I didn't know about it because I had closed my facebook account :saddowns:
Well maybe you should go to the gym instead of being on the internet :shrug:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
igf spoilers crocop defeated ishii via the dreaded crocop guard lmao

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CommonShore posted:

Well he stands and stares vacantly with a closed mouth in that vacant way. It's just magnetic when you see it in person :frogdowns:

Please don't troll me when it comes to Mike Ricci.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The best news.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Judo guy is totally throwing matches.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coconono posted:

Judo guy is totally throwing matches.

Not in this case, unless he's blading. It was a doctor's stoppage from an elbow.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://instagram.com/p/sENy3UtoeE

Cool.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Tomato Can MMA

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

drat, her nickname better be jelly cause jam don't shake like that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Tomato Can MMA, Cecil Peoples, and that goony looking fighter (that I guess trains at Carmouche's camp?) really make that a magical video

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

1st AD posted:

Tomato Can MMA, Cecil Peoples, and that goony looking fighter (that I guess trains at Carmouche's camp?) really make that a magical video

she obviously trains at modaferris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
:lol:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/bob-sapp-tops-bill-for-pyongyang-fight-night