Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ImpAtom posted:

It really would have helped if she got a little bit of time to herself the way the other members did.

It would have really helped if they had given 1 episode over to flashback to Zaheer and Co. in their younger days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

raspy trashfucker posted:

i've never crossposted anything to 4chan from this thread

you're being oddly specifgic in your denial............

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ImpAtom posted:

railgun brainmagic.

Thread title for Book 4, right here.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Animation does not work that way!

I just wanted to point out, those lip-readers were totally right! (Assuming it was actually the part where he shouted P'li's name that was posted before.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ImpAtom posted:

That said she was pretty weak as a character for someone who was so important to Zaheer. It really would have helped if she got a little bit of time to herself the way the other members did.
Maybe there will be a flashback episode to explain all the backstories of the four now that they got Zaheer.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Was it just me, or was Korra's fight with Zaheer kind of like a reversed fight with Aang and Ozai?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe there will be a flashback episode to explain all the backstories of the four now that they got Zaheer.

I guess it'd depend if he ends up coming back or not. He seemed pretty firmly defeated but he's also one of the few villains to retain his life and powers and just get caught.

demota posted:

Was it just me, or was Korra's fight with Zaheer kind of like a reversed fight with Aang and Ozai?

It seems pretty intentionally so, to fit with the rest of Zaheer being basically Anti-Aang. He even had the 'give up the woman he loves to obtain full mastery" thing.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

what's with building this chump-rear end handicapped-inaccessible Air Temple, dead Aang?

FourLeaf posted:

Yeah the constant LOL SO RANDOM bullshit with Bolin and Bumi really created some mood whiplash. It's often poorly timed. More importantly, it's not necessary. It's possible to do kid-friendly humor that is clever, fits with the tone, and is funny for adults too. Look at A:TLA. Look at Disney or Pixar films. Hell, even early Spongebob had that kind of humor.

beyond the mood whiplash, Bolin is just never gonna be as funny a comic-relief guy as Sokka. They should probably stop trying so hard to make him so.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

what's with building this chump-rear end handicapped-inaccessible Air Temple, dead Aang?

The only wheelchair-bound guy Aang knew had a glider, give him a break.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I actually think Bolin is funnier than Sokka. PJ Byrne is just terrific. He really brings his lines to life.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
°Boom goes your head! Nice use of karmic death there.

°That was an exquisite use of villainous poison, but the execution of the execution was idiotic. There's c4 in avatarworld, and they should have juststrapped some on to korra and efficiently blown her rear end to bits once she turned blue.

° Jinora continues to be the sole source of competence in this series.

°Everybody gets hax! I almost forgot that mako could do that.

°Flying Antibuddha Zaheer should have fleshed out his organization a little while he ranted.

°Cripple Korra is messed up. I'm gonna call it and say that a spirit/mescaline trip is going to snap her out of it.

°Kai got to stand in for twelve year olds everywhere (who ironically don't watch korra) by showing us that adults just don't listen. The writing that led up to this exchange was a bit on the nose.

°Yay antipacifist air-ninja! Boo how team avatar keeps lamenting the loss of the earth tyrant's stabilizing tyranny.

° I'm betting the writer's just wanted to nerf korra for a while so they could focus on her essence rather than her physicality. This onset handicap has also saved us from the dreaded romantic subplot.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

I think that Sokka is funnier than Bolin, but I think it's because ATLA was a lighter series as a whole. When this series gets going you don't really want comic relief.

I do think that Bolin is the bigger badass though, Sokka lacked those kinds of moments until the later part of ATLA. Since Bolin is supposed to be the goofy underdog of the series watching him wreck poo poo feels really good.

(EDIT: Is it wrong that I want to see Korra flying around with flappy legs next season?)

Kiran fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 23, 2014

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Saying this makes it pretty clear you're looking for things to take badly considering that A) Korra was told she was protecting tax money against bandits and B) once she figured out exactly what was going on she responded badly.

Yeah, but did she do anything to help the people she stole from? Being the Avatar entails a bit more responsibility than saying that you regret it and swearing not to be tricked by another incredibly transparent villain before before retreating into your opulent zeppelin.

I think Korra would be a much more likeable character (and Zaheer would be a more convincing villain) if she tried to help the people of the Earth Kingdom at some point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Microcline posted:

Yeah, but did she do anything to help the people she stole from? Being the Avatar entails a bit more responsibility than saying that you regret it and swearing not to be tricked by another incredibly transparent villain before before retreating into your opulent zeppelin.

I think Korra would be a much more likeable character (and Zaheer would be a more convincing villain) if she tried to help the people of the Earth Kingdom at some point.

She really can't win with you. If she did do something then you'd argue she was rushing into a fight/not being diplomatic or that she was trying to overthrow a leader instead of figure out a different solution or something, especially considering you're claiming she did things like 'try to overthrow the president of Republic City" which is not actually a thing that happened at all. (She did try try to get the fleet to go to war but that is a drat far cry from overthrowing the Republic City president in a military coup.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 23, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanna say that all the issues Legend of Korra has had so far have been worth it for that last scene, because they knocked it out of the loving park.

edit: I also really liked how Korra using the avatar state in combat was nothing like Aang's. Even when he was going into it out of anger, there was this otherwordliness to the way Aang used it. Korra was just a wrecking ball of rage.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 23, 2014

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Microcline posted:

Bear in mind, though, she was doing it with gritted teeth, and was trying to get on the Earth Queen's good terms to try to get to the new airbenders with the least amount of conflict; so far as she was concerned, her biggest priority was helping Tenzin with rebuilding the Air Nomads. It wasn't until the Queen continued stonewalling them (and they realized something was up) that they stopped playing nice.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

She really can't win with you. If she did do something then you'd argue she was rushing into a fight/not being diplomatic or that she was trying to overthrow a leader instead of figure out a different solution or something, especially considering you're claiming she did things like 'try to overthrow the president of Republic City" which is not actually a thing that happened at all. (She did try try to get the fleet to go to war but that is a drat far cry from overthrowing the Republic City president in a military coup.)

I looked it up and you're right. She just tries to drag a nation against its will into a world war on the advice of her war profiteer friend.

And Aang had nothing against overthrowing monarchs if it was the only option. He stormed the palace at Ba Sing Se, imprisoned the Fire Lord, and sent his friend to overthrow his sister and usurp the throne. The problem with Korra isn't that she is/isn't diplomatic about it, it's that she doesn't try at all. She doesn't even return the money.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was a pretty cool season. I'm glad the show is getting over it's rocky beginnings. I hope it keeps that up.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Pavlov posted:

I still kind of wish I knew how Raava worked. Tricking the Avatar into Avatar state made sense when we just thought it was an instinct, but knowing that the its the extension of a sentient being, it makes me wonder why Raava doesn't just say, "Nope, not happening," and thats that.

Yeah. I kinda thought Korra was going to be able to talk to Raava this season or something. They didnb't bring it up at all, but when they had Korra chained up and said they were gonna make her go Avatar State and kill her, I was definitely expecting Korra to at ask Raava to leave her and find another host. It makes sense that Raava would not be able to do it though. The whole dramatic point of the Avatar State is that it makes the Avatar very vulnerable in addition to powerful.

nutranurse posted:

I dunno if that'd be a good thing though. I've always gotten weird totalitarian vibes from Suyin given the way the Metal Clan city is run.

Same here. Basically everything in Suyin's City clamps down with the sound of finality like a prison cell door closing on you. When they first got there I definitely thought it was gonna be a two-episode bit where they get trapped there.

I think Korra is definitely bummed that everyone she cared about kinda had to cheat death to save her. Zaheer basically had her beat. She spent a while thinking he had killed her dad, and all her rage and the Avatar State still couldn't make her strong enough to beat him. Korra grew up being told she was the super special avatar awesome bending prodigy and it turns out all her years of training and her specialness haven't made her good enough to go around stomping bad guys, instead the bad guys stomp her when it comes down to it. She probably feels like a fraud succeeding on luck (Tenzin credits her with bringing back the Air Nation, but Korra had no idea that would even happen) and the help of others, and now all her insecurities have basically manifested in her mentor deciding that someone else needs to step in to fulfill her duties and her body is weakened.

If they wanted to give Asami a badass action moment they could have had her be the one to zap Ming-Hua after a more desperate fight. Mako's fight with her felt more like just waiting for him to decide to end it by using lightning. Although it was visually cool. I would have loved it had they done something like, Mako tries to zap Ming Hua, but she disconnects from her water just in time (she should really be ready for lightning bending considering it is more common now, and it's flawed writing to have characters no think of obvious things just so they can be a surprise to the audience later. And the only person we've seen be able to shoot lightning instantly is Ozai I believe, so she would have time to react) then she'd bend the electrified water back at Mako, who is effected by it, but ultimately redirects it to her.

I feel like Bolin had a satisfactory growth arc this season in terms of his abilities even if he couldn't beat Ghazan on his own. He went from barely being able to keep afloat against him to being able to go toe-to-toe for a while and that's a very big improvement. Poor Ghazan. Avatar World prisons should focus more on rehabilitation, less on punishment. He'd still be alive if he thought he could get into a work-release program doing controlled demolition of condemned buildings.

I thought Zaheer flying was just cool. I am less disappointed in this show going DBZ than I was when ATLA did it, because the bending and fights in this show are less grounded most of the time anyway. It was also a good payoff for all the Guru Laghima spouting Zaheer did. I think it was cool that he wasn't just trying to do Jinora's astral projection technique. Now we've basically seen all the speculated upon Master Level Air techniques, aside from the glory of Soundbending. Though, in the moment, I deifnitely wasn't expecting him to fly. I was expecting him to straight up vanish with Korra, like he did with the truthseeker guy in the spirit world. Become air and enter the void, right?

I think Zaheer's quick turnaround after P'li died wasn't awkward. It was showing his character. Yes, a normal person would certainly need a few moments to come to terms with things, a show would normally show a bit of grief. But Zaheer was beyond that. He had already pretty much let go of P'li in his mind. But he couldn't do it entirely while she was still alive. Though the lack of a head-splosion was some awkward directing/censoring. At least show it from real far away or give a sound or something. Still an awesome moment though, my jaw actually dropped. I was expecting Suyin to bonk Combustion Ma'am in her third eye and subdue her, not put a new target around her face and loving decapitate her.

Also, isn't an imprisoned Zaheer just going to be loving poo poo up in the spirit world all the time? Zuko should talk to Iroh about setting up some kinda spirit world barrier.

The remaining members of the Red Lotus will probably be less impressive bending-wise than what we have seen form them so far. I think that would be a good thing. The wacky abilities were cool but I'd like to see some more down-and dirty martial-arts type stuff next season. A villain who succeeds through genuine cleverness rather than just overpowering people is more fun to watch. Though the writers of Korra have faltered when they've tried this in the past I have faith in them now to pull it off. I would also guess a spirit will feature as a major villain. Probably not Koh but hopefully one just as threatening and unique. Korra reconnecting with the Avatar's past lives would make a good ending for the show I think. Bring everything full circle when we get to see Aang again, and have Korra redeem herself. Right now she probably thinks of herself as the Avatar whose failures have set back all future Avatars with her losing their connection to past lives, and bringing that back will cement her legacy in her own mind. Korra in the Avatar State not having the multiple-voice-effect was a cool touch I didn't notice until someone in this thread pointed it out.

This season, I kept expecting them to drop the ball a bit, and they pretty much didn't. I have my gripes with it but no show is perfect. Season 3 is something I will actually recommend to my friends who were fans of the first series but didn't bother to keep up with Korra.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
That ending was pretty much fantastic. Practically the only thing I'm sad about is that we'll only ever get another 13 episodes of this. I really wish that they had made it into 3 26-episode seasons with one arc instead of 4 13-episode seasons with 4 arcs. :smith:

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

all i'm saying is maybe she shouldn't rape people

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DrSunshine posted:

That ending was pretty much fantastic. Practically the only thing I'm sad about is that we'll only ever get another 13 episodes of this. I really wish that they had made it into 3 26-episode seasons with one arc instead of 4 13-episode seasons with 4 arcs. :smith:

Maybe they will surprise us with Book 4 and give us a few more episodes.

Probably not, though. :smith:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Metropolis posted:

Also, isn't an imprisoned Zaheer just going to be loving poo poo up in the spirit world all the time? Zuko should talk to Iroh about setting up some kinda spirit world barrier.

Not sure if the show is willing to go there, but they could just execute him. The only reason they imprisoned him and his gang in the first place was because they wanted to figure out why they went after Korra in the first place. At this point they know so the safest thing to do would be to kill him.

raspy trashfucker posted:

all i'm saying is maybe she shouldn't rape people

agreed

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm glad Mako matured and made the smart decision here:

Democratic Pirate posted:

We haven't seen much lightning bending from Mako so far, when he is capable of it.

Alls I'm saying is, when a lady is using water that is attached to her body to attack you, giving it a little zap might be a good idea.

:smugdog:

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Hauldren Collider posted:

I still don't get what the point of faking the hostages in the temple was. It didn't get Zaheer any additional leverage and what the hell did he want with a bunch of airbenders after he killed the avatar? Wtf.

He got Korra to give herself over without giving up any leverage. He also talked before about training the avatar had they gotten to her when she was young, so maybe training them himself?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Metropolis posted:

Jinora said that she needs calm and quiet to do her spirit-walking stuff. Presumably Zaheer does too (though he's probably better at meditation than any preteen, even a prodigy), so maybe they can devise some kinda Chinese Water Torture-esque schemes to keep him from focusing well enough. At least until Korra gets her mojo back and can strip his powers.

Anyway, the writers probably just won't address it. Bad guy lost, clear the board, move on.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

iSheep posted:

Maybe they will surprise us with Book 4 and give us a few more episodes.

Probably not, though. :smith:

Bryan confirmed that Books III and IV were 13 episodes each a while ago.

Also, I'm sad I didn't realize there was a thread for Korra this whole season :(

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I may have missed something, but who was the metalbender who saved Tonraq and why did the reveal of her name deserve a special musical sting?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
^^^^ I was wondering the same thing

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm glad Mako matured and made the smart decision here:

:smugdog:

When it happened I thought of you.

But for real, I don't think Zaheer had any intention of hurting the new Air clan. If anything he'd want to convert them to his cause.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 23, 2014

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

ATP_Power posted:

I may have missed something, but who was the metalbender who saved Tonraq and why did the reveal of her name deserve a special musical sting?

Things we know about her:
That name they said
She is voiced by Robin Williams daughter Zelda

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Harold Cooplowski posted:

That name they said

Best bet would be that she might have more of a role to play in the last book. It probably would've been awkward for the pacing to be introducing and expositing new characters during the season finale.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Could be she helped whosits with letting the Red Lotus into wheresits so they could capture Korra.

I'm bad at remembering names. :(

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Harold Cooplowski posted:

That name they said
Gotcha, it just seemed out of place to give a totally unknown character that much emphasis in the finale without that context.

Apparently she also showed up on the back of a newspaper earlier on in the show too:

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Best bet would be that she might have more of a role to play in the last book. It probably would've been awkward for the pacing to be introducing and expositing new characters during the season finale.

I didnt expect background, they didnt do any expositions for three quarters of the bad guy team in a whole book :haw:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Metropolis posted:

Also, isn't an imprisoned Zaheer just going to be loving poo poo up in the spirit world all the time?
Exactly what I was thinking when he was taken alive - there is still a whole group of people out there he can coordinate with to gently caress poo poo up, I hope they don't just ignore that and we get to have some more scenes with him

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

I agree with others that it's to introduce her to be a bigger character later. But a finale is a pretty weird time to do that. I'm guessing they wanted to introduce her in an intense situation to show her loyalty/bravery as soon as possible, and early next season won't have that, so they did it now.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

demota posted:

Felt like that to me, fire bender flying around trying to kill air bender.. Even the environment was the same!

Just watched the last two episodes, fantastic finish, but bitter sweet knowing we have to wait till next year at the earliest for the new season :( until next year!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ATP_Power posted:

korras dad is goin to have an affair with her and season 4 will be called alimony.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So I just binge-watched the last six episodes of this season and holy drat. Everything I want to say has pretty much been said. Awesome finale.

Some points:

-Holy poo poo did Zaheer just airbend the loving life out of the Earth Queen? Is that the Air-bending equivalent to bloodbending?
-Korra in the Avatar state is just an absolute behemoth. Kyoshi would have struggled with her.
-Jinora with her tattoos is a spitting image of Aang, that was awesome.
-Why was Zuko even there for the last couple of episodes? He didn't really play much of a role.
-Seems kind of strange that we got a lot of buildup with the Beifong family and the revelation that Toph is alive... And then she never shows up.
-It also seems weird that Katara wasn't at her granddaughter's ceremony
-Maybe with Katara, Zuko, and Toph being alive... Maybe there's hope for Suki and Sokka and Azula being alive? Please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

-Maybe with Katara, Zuko, and Toph being alive... Maybe there's hope for Suki and Sokka and Azula being alive? Please?

Katara said Sokka was dead in the very first episode.

• Locked thread