Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Y'ever read Ctrl-Alt-Del, the webcomic? No? Keep it that way.

The short version is that it was a gaming webcomic and therefore axiomatically trivial, and acted like it until the events depicted in loss.jpg happened.

And then later (or maybe at the same time, it's thankfully been many years since I looked) the author spouted some unsurprisingly terrible opinions about women and miscarriages on his blog.

The mockery is mostly overdone and low-result after this long, but occasionally something still resonates. Just not with everyone.

Was this the one where he was like "Sometimes it's harder on the woman"?

TMDTN
Oct 10, 2005
This Mixed Drink Tastes Nasty...

Memento posted:

Was this the one where he was like "Sometimes it's harder on the woman"?

Sort of.

quote:

Again, I disagree. A miscarriage is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.
a paragraph from the newspost that was with the comic.

e- Rereading the newspost in it's entirety for the first time in ages, still so funny in how dumb it is.
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20080602

TMDTN has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Aug 23, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That Buckley dude is such a cock

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Again, I disagree. A miscarriage is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.
I don't really see what's so offensive or outrageous about this quote. Is it just how out of place it was on the blog of a video game comic?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Kittle posted:

I don't really see what's so offensive or outrageous about this quote. Is it just how out of place it was on the blog of a video game comic?

Basically. I mean, here you have a zany lolrandom webcomic about video games with an obvious introverted, wacky mary-sue protagonist who of course has a hot gamer girlfriend and dry humored cool best friend, as well as an awesome robot that sort of hates humanity but not really?, and pow, miscarriage storyline out of the blue and him trying to be deep and mature and respectable.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

"hot" gamer girlfriend

Looking like a Lovecraftian fish humanoid on her wedding day.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Nothing gets over his head.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Taeke posted:

Basically. I mean, here you have a zany lolrandom webcomic about video games with an obvious introverted, wacky mary-sue protagonist who of course has a hot gamer girlfriend and dry humored cool best friend, as well as an awesome robot that sort of hates humanity but not really?, and pow, miscarriage storyline out of the blue and him trying to be deep and mature and respectable.

It's an exaggerated self-insert comic, and he was in a similar situation when he was younger where a girlfriend had a miscarriage. It was dumb, but fitting, given the Mary Sue-ism wasn't an attempted secret.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60JlM6ZXHc

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kittle posted:

"I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man."

Drilled Sausage
Oct 24, 2012

Breetai posted:

"I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man."

It's not?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Consider, in context, the implications of the word "often".

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

So that's why you're supposed to get the water blessed by a priest first! :tinfoil:

Drilled Sausage
Oct 24, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Consider, in context, the implications of the word "often".

Yeah. I still don't see what everyone's up in arms over.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Drilled Sausage posted:

In what scenario would a miscarriage ever be harder on a man?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Orgophlax posted:

This might not be true, but I suppose there might be some women who are uncaring?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Drilled Sausage posted:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Orgophlax posted:

When a miscarriaged baby would have grown up to be a man.

Drilled Sausage
Oct 24, 2012

Orgophlax posted:

Hey, maybe when the man is the one who miscarried? Nice casual transphobia, bud

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

If the woman has retrograde amnesia?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ookiimarukochan posted:

If the woman has retrograde amnesia?

Yes, the Adam Sandler tragic drama "Fifty First Dates Plus a Funeral" was a pretty grim movie, but the girl came out okay

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes, and I know this is hard to believe, men really, really care about having kids, and sometimes women .... they don't.

Think outside the stereotype

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PCOS Bill posted:

Sometimes, and I know this is hard to believe, men really, really care about having kids, and sometimes women .... they don't.

Think outside the stereotype

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I always thought the blog post was a flop because he's taking a situation he lived through - the miscarriage of a baby he didn't want in a relationship he wanted to end - and acting like an expert on how to handle the topic gracefully with sensitivity toward people who lose a pregnancy they actually really wanted. The whole "it doesn't turn you into a sad sack of tears - move past and heal [like I did by dumping that toxic relationship Lol]"

And then he had the lady in the comic apologize to the guy for being sad about the miscarriage

E: its cool tho, he forgave her

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

the best part wwas when he put the special baby-hand sized controller into the drawer and looked sad about it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
oh Christ is that what that is

I went through the next few comics to find out the exciting conclusion to that story arc and I couldn't figure out what the gently caress that thing was

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
This is an actual quote from the guy who made the comic:

Also someone please make a deal with it gif out of the end of this video (the rest of the video is pretty great too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la86Dr4Nzpw&t=83s

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

This is a pro-click.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I loled out loud in irl life at this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait a loving minute. I just realized Tim Buckley has to be a loving pseudonym because seriously, Bum Tickley?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Kittle posted:

Yeah, I also couldn't quite understand why everyone was up in arms about the quote, in particular, he actually lost a child to a miscarriage. He knows more about miscarriage than most of us ever will. It may not be how I would handle it, but who cares.

Now the comic itself, yes. It is stupid as all hell and that story arc has no place in a dumb comic about dudes who play video games.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Steve Holt! posted:

Also someone please make a deal with it gif out of the end of this video (the rest of the video is pretty great too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la86Dr4Nzpw&t=83s

This bit?

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OilSlick posted:

Yeah, I also couldn't quite understand why everyone was up in arms about the quote, in particular, he actually lost a child to a miscarriage. He knows more about miscarriage than most of us ever will. It may not be how I would handle it, but who cares.

Now the comic itself, yes. It is stupid as all hell and that story arc has no place in a dumb comic about dudes who play video games.

Maybe it's how instead of just posting the comic without comment and letting the audience stew in its own juices like a creator with balls might do, he posted it accompanied with a massive self-justifying self-congratulatory wank piece about how the audience might take it and how it should take it and what attitudes are bound to arise in its wake and oh can we please just short-circuit all the drama in advance thank you? And the internet's response was gently caress you, now we'll make drama our way and on our terms, thanks for the addition to meme iconography.

Artists who analyze their own work make my skin crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Pro-post :golfclap:

• Locked thread