Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

For all the cool things the Injustice comic does, they do tend to go full retard in some areas.
You're supposed to broadcast super-serious messages on all the screens in Times Square, this is comic booking 101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is a joke, right?

Superman was going to announce that Bruce Wayne was Batman as a way to discredit him because he was sick of his meddling. From the Watchtower, he broadcasted to the public (including the Times Square screen) and before he could say it, Batman shut off the Watchtower's broadcast facilities and caused it to spiral towards the earth. The plan was that Superman would be so busy saving the JL and whoever the satellite would land on that Batman would be able to put some kind of contingency in place to save his secret identity. What that could possibly be, I have no idea. Inside the Watchtower, Damian yelled that Luthor was the smartest man in the world and Cyborg was a computer, so they could figure SOMETHING out.

And this is what we got.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Casey's father likes to get drunk and beat him. Raph is sick of it. Splinter is wise, yet hardcore.

TMNT #13 and 14

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not a Turtles fan but that's some good poo poo right there. Way to play to the strengths of archetype in the name of progress for a change.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gavok posted:

Superman was going to announce that Bruce Wayne was Batman as a way to discredit him because he was sick of his meddling. From the Watchtower, he broadcasted to the public (including the Times Square screen) and before he could say it, Batman shut off the Watchtower's broadcast facilities and caused it to spiral towards the earth. The plan was that Superman would be so busy saving the JL and whoever the satellite would land on that Batman would be able to put some kind of contingency in place to save his secret identity. What that could possibly be, I have no idea. Inside the Watchtower, Damian yelled that Luthor was the smartest man in the world and Cyborg was a computer, so they could figure SOMETHING out.

And this is what we got.

There are no words. This is kind of the best thing ever and kind of the stupidest thing ever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gavok posted:

And this is what we got.

Reposts

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that 'retweet' is probably copyrighted?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Would you go further out on the limb and say that 2,529,0432 is an unusually large number?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

Would you go further out on the limb and say that 2,529,0432 is an unusually large number?
It sure is some unusual comma placement.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

redbackground posted:

It sure is some unusual comma placement.

Kryptonian mathematics. Also Superman is canonically a MATHS GENIUS so please don't question his comma placement, you'll just end up making yourself look silly. :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Uthor posted:

Casey's father likes to get drunk and beat him. Raph is sick of it. Splinter is wise, yet hardcore.

snip

TMNT #13 and 14

The writing's nice, but the art is freaking atrocious. Look at that face.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's a pretty good :aaa: face.

I'm learning to be less picky after bay turtles. :stonk:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The IDW Turtles series is surprisingly good. It does a really good job of bringing together elements from the many different versions of the property and building something new out of them.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
The TMNT and Punisher post highlight what I love most about comics: when they show how these big huge heroes end up changing and interacting with people's lives, for good or bad.

As much as I'm a fan of my old goofy silver age comics, seeing stories like those help remind me about how much we mean to other people.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm linking because these are full stories, not just panels, but EC Comics printed these in the 50's, folks.

The nineteen-fiftys.

In Gratitude

Are you back from reading In Gratitude? Can you imagine how mind-blowing that must have been to your average American? Then how do you think they reacted to...

Judgment Day

Here's the reaction from the Comics Code Authority folks:

Tales from the Crypt: The Official Archives posted:

This really made 'em go bananas in the Code czar's office. 'Judge Murphy was off his nut. He was really out to get us', recalls [EC editor] Feldstein. 'I went in there with this story and Murphy says, "It can't be a Black man". But ... but that's the whole point of the story!' Feldstein sputtered. When Murphy continued to insist that the Black man had to go, Feldstein put it on the line. 'Listen', he told Murphy, 'you've been riding us and making it impossible to put out anything at all because you guys just want us out of business'. [Feldstein] reported the results of his audience with the czar to Gaines, who was furious [and] immediately picked up the phone and called Murphy. 'This is ridiculous!' he bellowed. 'I'm going to call a press conference on this. You have no grounds, no basis, to do this. I'll sue you'. Murphy made what he surely thought was a gracious concession. 'All right. Just take off the beads of sweat'. At that, Gaines and Feldstein both went ballistic. 'gently caress you!' they shouted into the telephone in unison. Murphy hung up on them, but the story ran in its original form.

One more thing to leave you with. Here's the letters page from the issue the month after Judgment Day got printed: the letters page from the next month's issue:

Those last two letters are incredible.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FRESH FROM THE LAST POSTS IN THE "BADASS PANELS" THREAD OF THESE VERY FORUMS YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT JOHNNYCANUCK HAS DUG UP! BLAST FROM THE PAST 1950s COMICS A GO GO!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

mind the walrus posted:

FRESH FROM THE LAST POSTS IN THE "BADASS PANELS" THREAD OF THESE VERY FORUMS YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT JOHNNYCANUCK HAS DUG UP! BLAST FROM THE PAST 1950s COMICS A GO GO!

Aw, seriously? I haven't checked the badass panels thread in months!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Yah, this was all covered just yesterday.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hahahaha no way I was just busting your balls but this is much funnier.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Quick, someone crosspost this exchange to the Funny Panels thread, and we'll have all the bases covered.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Hey, if people are going to post adaptations of Ray Bradbury stories everywhere, I won't complain.

Edit: I was trying to figure out which Bradbury story was adapted into Judgment Day...and as it turns out, it's none of them. Bradbury didn't write that one. The cover blurb is actually referring to a story called Zero Hour.

Source: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/06/15/comic-book-legends-revealed-371/

DoctorDelaware fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 22, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Uthor posted:

TMNT #13 and 14

I'd have been okay with this being in the badass thread.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Gavok posted:

And this is what we got.

Still not as fantastic as the edit where Superman is doing a duckface selfie.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

redbackground posted:

Yah, this was all covered just yesterday.

mind the walrus posted:

Hahahaha no way I was just busting your balls but this is much funnier.

Somebody forwarded it to me the other day. I should have considered the possibility that it was making the rounds!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From Blacksad: Red Soul.
Context, a former teacher returns to his old neighborhood where used to teach and tried to make it into a thriving community:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Alhazred posted:

From Blacksad: Red Soul.
Context, a former teacher returns to his old neighborhood where used to teach and tried to make it into a thriving community:

You forgot some important details: The proffesor (the owl) was also a nuclear physicist that was part of the Third Reich.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vincent posted:

You forgot some important details: The proffesor (the owl) was also a nuclear physicist that was part of the Third Reich.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Here's something from ANGR #6, the new Ghost Rider, Robbie Reyes, works on an auto shop, goes to high-school and takes care of his younger brother by himself, then he gets some spirit that gives him super powers and after Robbie defeats Mister Hyde in a bloody radical battle last issue, he starts using his newfound super powers to... win street races, and now he's got tons of cash out of them. This is what he does with that money:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Alright, fine, I'll pick up the stupid trade already. I've never had any interest in Ghost Rider, but that and the panels in the badass thread have sold me.

Edit: ...is the series abbreviation really ANGR? Does he have that on his license plate?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squidster posted:

Edit: ...is the series abbreviation really ANGR? Does he have that on his license plate?

Yep. All-New Ghost Rider! ...and no, but it'd be funny if he did.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
e: ^Curse you!

Yeah, All-New Ghost Rider AKA ANGR. I think I saw ANGR as a license plate, but can't remember, waiting on the trade to re-read it all.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Here's something from ANGR #6, the new Ghost Rider, Robbie Reyes, works on an auto shop, goes to high-school and takes care of his younger brother by himself, then he gets some spirit that gives him super powers and after Robbie defeats Mister Hyde in a bloody radical battle last issue, he starts using his newfound super powers to... win street races, and now he's got tons of cash out of them. This is what he does with that money:

This is so nice and sweet and real...it's just gonna make the inevitable 'other shoe dropping' so painful when it hits. Saying it, knowing it, doesn't deaden it to me, it makes it worse.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bloodly posted:

This is so nice and sweet and real...it's just gonna make the inevitable 'other shoe dropping' so painful when it hits. Saying it, knowing it, doesn't deaden it to me, it makes it worse.

Because it's a comic book I assume the little kid dies and the dude is now out for revenge or something?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Drifter posted:

Because it's a comic book I assume the little kid dies and the dude is now out for revenge or something?

Shoe hasn't dropped yet but the kid is throwing up death flags left and right.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think Gabe will die, but maybe put in a situation that lets him make Robbie realize how selfish he's being.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I first got into comics reading Ghost Rider (the Dan Ketch version), and between him and Johnny Blaze, I seem to recall previous Ghost Riders generally having their personal lives go to poo poo faster than you can say, "Spider-Man accidentally killed Gwen Stacy," and the blame was pretty much always dropped right on their heads.

So yeah, that kid's probably not long for this world, especially if his big bro is neglecting his supernatural vigilante duties to take care of him instead. :smith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

W.T. Fits posted:

I first got into comics reading Ghost Rider (the Dan Ketch version), and between him and Johnny Blaze, I seem to recall previous Ghost Riders generally having their personal lives go to poo poo faster than you can say, "Spider-Man accidentally killed Gwen Stacy," and the blame was pretty much always dropped right on their heads.

To be fair, iirc, the girl Ghost Rider's life was already pretty terrible, on account of being raised by a cult or something. She had nowhere to go but up.

Her book's sales, on the other hand, still had so far to fall.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 25, 2014

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

W.T. Fits posted:

So yeah, that kid's probably not long for this world, especially if his big bro is neglecting his supernatural vigilante duties to take care of him instead. :smith:
I'm a surprising twist. The older bro dies and the kid become Ghost Rider: tot of vengeance.

Ever seen a demonic Big Wheel?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ANGR is kind of different because he's not "Ghost Rider" Ghost Rider. He literally is the All New Ghost Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FilthyImp posted:

I'm a surprising twist. The older bro dies and the kid become Ghost Rider: tot of vengeance.
Hm. Kid... ANGR... Father-figure in deadly peril...

Waaaaaaaage!