Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

So I got FO3 GOTY and I can't play it. It crashes upon starting a new game every time, no matter what. I tried lowering the graphics, disabling the DLCs and nothing works. I don't even have any mods yet. Has anybody else had this issue?

I'm using Windows 7 fwiw, and New Vegas runs fine.

Consider running tale of two wastelands. Sounds weird but it's actually more stable from what I've experienced.
edit: that is, as long as you don't want to run FO3 specific things like FWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Mr E posted:

That's odd, I haven't had any problems with junk hanging out with the underwear options on both body replacers.

I decided to go back and give it another try, and I think I know what the problem is. Using the underwear option means naked bodies will be all covered up, but any dudes in skirts like legionaries or tribals will have their junk underneath, which can cause it to be visible when they're a corpse or if they're sneaking. That's with Roberts anyway, I'll give Breeze a try and see if it's any better.

Edit: Okay in breeze they keep things under wraps!

Davoren fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 22, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

El Jeffe posted:

So I got FO3 GOTY and I can't play it. It crashes upon starting a new game every time, no matter what. I tried lowering the graphics, disabling the DLCs and nothing works. I don't even have any mods yet. Has anybody else had this issue?

If you've never played FO3 before, congratulations, get Tale of Two Wastelands as suggested already.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Chronojam posted:

If you've never played FO3 before, congratulations, get Tale of Two Wastelands as suggested already.

I've played it a lot, but never on PC. I've tried TTW before and I couldn't get that to work either. :(

And the Multicore crash fix didn't work, so I'm reinstalling it and giving it another go.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

I've played it a lot, but never on PC. I've tried TTW before and I couldn't get that to work either. :(

And the Multicore crash fix didn't work, so I'm reinstalling it and giving it another go.

Good luck, I tried to play FO3 a while back and I must've reinstalled it seven times before I gave up. Multicore thing didn't work either.

It used to work for me before, on the same rig I have now. I have a sneaking suspicion that Bethesda hosed something up when they removed GFWL. I vaguely remember editing a file to remove GFWL back when it used it. Maybe it's causing it to crash or something I don't know.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The multicore fix actually makes it crash a little earlier, immediately after clicking New Game.

I can't install TTW, it gives me this error message:
"An unhandled exception has occurred:
Could not find a part of the path
C:/Users/Jeff/AppData/Local/Temp/wze9b2/resources/TTW Data/TTW Files'."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

When I installed TTW I dumped it to my desktop for its working files (from what I remember) as an option, and it seemed to do okay with that.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I've installed a compilation pack put together by Millenia (Weapons of the New Millenia) that seems to be a much-expanded addition of weapons and his improved textures like with the WRP in the OP. But one thing that's weird is that all of the gun textures seem to be covered in baby oil or something - they're incredibly shiny.

Anybody else run into this problem? I'm wondering because I've been using some of the individual weapons he's put up that aren't in the pack and they're all normal looking.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Some of his textures have extra shiny normal maps, I usually turn down their brightness in photoshop. The file in question usually has an _m suffix.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
The m maps are the spec maps. I believe I'm going to ask him to test out all the guns in a setting outside of Chet's for the next update so he can fix them up since I don't think he ever leaves Chet's. Just like I never leave Doc's.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Is there a female body mod that doesn't make weird unnecessary adjustments to the clothing? Type 3 makes some skirts shorter and some other things I've forgotten, Type 6 makes everything more revealing, Type V is mostly out of date and has many of the same problems Type 3 has. Have I missed one? Or am I stuck with one of these unless I redo things myself?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Naky posted:

The m maps are the spec maps. I believe I'm going to ask him to test out all the guns in a setting outside of Chet's for the next update so he can fix them up since I don't think he ever leaves Chet's. Just like I never leave Doc's.

Yeah I couldn't remember if it was normals or spec maps, I just know I usually lower the overall brightness on the texture files ending with _m :v:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Well I'm starting up the install for TTW. Is there a more readable repository for TTW-safe mods than the forum on their site? If not, does anyone have (a link to) a choice few you'd feel are important to have?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Naky posted:

This is mostly just terminology so it's not too important, but to hopefully avoid confusion, this is the naming convention usually used for Fallout/Skyrim/etc:

TextureName_d - Diffuse map (Often it's just 'TextureName' without _d).
TextureName_n - Normal and specular maps (norms are in the RGB channels, spec is in the alpha channel).
TextureName_m - Environment mask; which controls the visibility of:
TextureName_e - Environment map (or 'cubemap').
TextureName_g - Glow map.

Those are the common ones, anyway.

So yeah, a lot of Millenia's _m maps are fairly bright, so they aren't masking out the cubemap very much, resulting in the guns looking pretty shiny.

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 23, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I couldn't remember if it was normals or spec maps, I just know I usually lower the overall brightness on the texture files ending with _m :v:

Completely unrelated but I now get your avatar and user title and I approve greatly.

Also, is realistic wasteland lighting or whatever it's called always insanely dark at night? I like how it looks during the day but I can't see anything during the night.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

El Jeffe posted:

The multicore fix actually makes it crash a little earlier, immediately after clicking New Game.

I can't install TTW, it gives me this error message:
"An unhandled exception has occurred:
Could not find a part of the path
C:/Users/Jeff/AppData/Local/Temp/wze9b2/resources/TTW Data/TTW Files'."

From: http://taleoftwowastelands.com/content/alpha-download#Installation

"To avoid known problems we highly recommend building your installation in short file path - C:\TTW\ - for example. A long file path like C:\Users\My Name\Documents\MyGames\TTW Build\ is NOT recommended."

I've been using TTW for quite some time now, "upgraded" two or three times; and there is -=always=- some quirk with installation ..

YM, of course, MV

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Moryrie posted:

Is there a female body mod that doesn't make weird unnecessary adjustments to the clothing?

It's the modding community. Do you really need to ask yourself that when you know the answer?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Antistar01 posted:

This is mostly just terminology so it's not too important, but to hopefully avoid confusion, this is the naming convention usually used for Fallout/Skyrim/etc:

TextureName_d - Diffuse map (Often it's just 'TextureName' without _d).
TextureName_n - Normal and specular maps (norms are in the RGB channels, spec is in the alpha channel).
TextureName_m - Environment mask; which controls the visibility of:
TextureName_e - Environment map (or 'cubemap').
TextureName_g - Glow map.

Those are the common ones, anyway.

So yeah, a lot of Millenia's _m maps are fairly bright, so they aren't masking out the cubemap very much, resulting in the guns looking pretty shiny.

Yeah, like I said, I think it's because he never leaves Chet's and when he does, he just runs around the saloon area. Which is more than what I do, to be honest! I don't handle the art side of things beyond rigging the nifs so I always leave it up to him.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Well I'm starting up the install for TTW. Is there a more readable repository for TTW-safe mods than the forum on their site? If not, does anyone have (a link to) a choice few you'd feel are important to have?

You might have some luck searcing 'TTW' on the nexus.

Edit: You've just made me realise I don't have any TTW friendly Fallout 3 mods installed, I've just been making do with the odd weapon or whatever that bleeds through from New Vegas, gonna have to fix that!

Davoren fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 23, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

It's the modding community. Do you really need to ask yourself that when you know the answer?

I was going to pick up a different body mod for both men and women but then I realized they'd always make the women's models creepy in some way so I dropped it.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012
Wish I could get TTW working. I get the no start menu thing when I install it. Which is a huge shame because I wouldn't mind exploring the Capitol Wasteland again but I really don't want to go back to FO3 after the improvements of Vegas

Edit: Also I think one of the strangest things about New Vegas modding is that no one has modded rideable horses into it. Seems like such an obvious thing to put in considering the old west look the game has

BigDes fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 23, 2014

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

BigDes posted:

Wish I could get TTW working. I get the no start menu thing when I install it. Which is a huge shame because I wouldn't mind exploring the Capitol Wasteland again but I really don't want to go back to FO3 after the improvements of Vegas

If you aren't usually the patient type, try firing it up an waiting a bit. The game looks through all the BSA files in your data folder before the menu appears, and the sheer amount of content TTW throws in can slow down the start sequence significantly. It would stare at me for at least two full minutes before it would let me load a game, but ran just fine once it did.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

watho posted:

Completely unrelated but I now get your avatar and user title and I approve greatly.

Also, is realistic wasteland lighting or whatever it's called always insanely dark at night? I like how it looks during the day but I can't see anything during the night.

Also Realistic Wasteland Lighting is pretty dark at night. If you're using an ENB, you can adjust the light variables for night to help brighten things up.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BigDes posted:

Also I think one of the strangest things about New Vegas modding is that no one has modded rideable horses into it. Seems like such an obvious thing to put in considering the old west look the game has

It would be very difficult. I mean, the car mod had to use tiny invisible explosions to even do poo poo like steer and it's janky as hell.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

BigDes posted:

Edit: Also I think one of the strangest things about New Vegas modding is that no one has modded rideable horses into it. Seems like such an obvious thing to put in considering the old west look the game has

I think we're pretty much gonna have to wait for Fallout 4, since that will almost certainly use Skyrim's Creation Engine.

Just started up a game of NV the other day with an assload of mods I don't remember installing. :v: Anyone have any idea what triggers the Nevada skies textures to sometimes turn into matrixy flying squares?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Alright, this is annoying as hell. I keep getting "Out of Memory!" crashes whenever I get close to New Vegas or even McCarran Airport. I'm running the 4GB patch, I have 12 GB of system RAM and 2 GB on my video card. What steps should I be taking to figure out what the heck is going on?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Holybat posted:

I've installed a compilation pack put together by Millenia (Weapons of the New Millenia) that seems to be a much-expanded addition of weapons and his improved textures like with the WRP in the OP. But one thing that's weird is that all of the gun textures seem to be covered in baby oil or something - they're incredibly shiny.

Anybody else run into this problem? I'm wondering because I've been using some of the individual weapons he's put up that aren't in the pack and they're all normal looking.

He just loves his guns. That ain't oil.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Alright, this is annoying as hell. I keep getting "Out of Memory!" crashes whenever I get close to New Vegas or even McCarran Airport. I'm running the 4GB patch, I have 12 GB of system RAM and 2 GB on my video card. What steps should I be taking to figure out what the heck is going on?

Use NVAC.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 23, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

from the official forums

quote:

There are more than one kind of out of memory error. For each of you, more information is needed. How many plugins are you running (if more than 100 or so, this can be the problem). Badly made mods can also cause the issue. Textures which have the incorrect dimensions can give this error also. Bad meshes can cause the error. Running out of HEAP memory is probably the most common issue. The game has issues purging old CELL's, this can also be addressed. Not enough Video memory can also cause this issue, a common cause of this error is when using a laptop or desktop with built in graphics or low end video card.

There are several ways you can try to address this.

1) Install NVSE and read the readme on how to create an .ini for it and to add an entry which allows increasing the initial HEAP size. A size of 256 is a good start, you can try also 384, above a certain amount also causes crashes so don't try to put it too high.

2) After doing the above, install New Vegas Stutter Remover and make sure Heap Replacement is enabled. Again in the .ini there is a HEAP size setting, I set it to the same size as I did the NVSE one. I do not know if they are doing the same thing or not as I never got a straight answer to that question. However they don't seem to conflict.

3) Install New Vegas Anti Crash, this plugin for NVSE is just essential and everyone should use it.

4) Try Zan Auto Purge Crash Protector, this plugin purges CELL's. It can help sometimes, but it can cause issues too.

5) Personally I use ENBoost and it solves the crashes I used to get in combination with the above plugins (I don't use Zan's though), there are many guides on setting up ENBoost properly. Be sure to use the latest version of ENB (.249 at the time of this post).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Capn Beeb posted:

Also Realistic Wasteland Lighting is pretty dark at night. If you're using an ENB, you can adjust the light variables for night to help brighten things up.
RWL also has an optional esp for brighter nights, although that might make them too bright for your liking. I like to be able to see where I'm going even if it's not completely realistic or immersive, so I don't mind that, but your mileage may vary.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

NVAC is installed. So is NV Stutter Remover. ENB is not installed.

Also, before it crashes out, generally all sounds will go except for ambient sounds and music - I'll hear the gatling laser noises from security bots, but I won't hear footsteps or gunfire, for example. Once it seemed to recover and played all the sounds at once, which was murder on my ears.

Edit: NMM was launching the unpatched EXE. :suicide:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 23, 2014

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012

Hobo on Fire posted:

If you aren't usually the patient type, try firing it up an waiting a bit. The game looks through all the BSA files in your data folder before the menu appears, and the sheer amount of content TTW throws in can slow down the start sequence significantly. It would stare at me for at least two full minutes before it would let me load a game, but ran just fine once it did.

Gave this a try. Left the game running when I went to eat dinner. Came back about 25-30 minutes later and still nothing. Dang it.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Are you using any of the populated wasteland mods?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I'm getting really sick of accidentally grabbing everything out of my storage chests while I'm trying to sort my stuff. Is there a mod I can get or a game setting I can change that would let me map "grab all" to a different button than the OK button for moving multiple items?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

El Jeffe posted:

Or use A Tale of Two Wastelands.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Servoret posted:

I'm getting really sick of accidentally grabbing everything out of my storage chests while I'm trying to sort my stuff. Is there a mod I can get or a game setting I can change that would let me map "grab all" to a different button than the OK button for moving multiple items?

i always switch to the 360 gamepad for sifting through chests full of trash because i do the same thing

gamepad also owns for blackjack

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 24, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BigDes posted:

There's a guide for how to fix this right on the TTW page. Basically, one of the TTW BSAs wasnt generated correctly. to figure out which one, Load up new vegas with only the New Vegas + DLC ESMs and Fallout 3.esm checked, if the menu shows up, relaunch it with the next ESM in the list checked. Repeat.

When you get to the stage where the menu doesn't show, rerun the TTW installer, saying "no" to rebuilding the BSAs until you get to the one that didnt generate correctly. Rebuild that one.

I had to rebuild the Anchorage BSAs, but now it works just fine.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

OH NO MAN posted:

RWL also has an optional esp for brighter nights, although that might make them too bright for your liking. I like to be able to see where I'm going even if it's not completely realistic or immersive, so I don't mind that, but your mileage may vary.

I actually think that I'm using that esp… I'll have to look into this when I get my computer back.

(I really approve of your av as well!)

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

BigDes posted:

Has anyone got any decent dungeon crawler mods they would like to recommend? I tried AWOP and found it a little too much but the concept of one giant sprawling dungeon is a cool one if it is done right.

Tales from the burning sands 3 has a huge optional dungeon, it's an industrial park. Actually, the entire series is just really well put together, which is good since you need to do part one and two to get to three.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

watho posted:

I actually think that I'm using that esp… I'll have to look into this when I get my computer back.
If you're not using an ENB with it, the brighter nights esp should look really bright. Maybe more so than vanilla New Vegas, it's been a while since I've played vanilla so I'm not sure. ENB settings seem to take priority, so the nights get pretty dark as you can see from this shot (RWL brighter nights, Onix ENB):

Direct comparison:

(RWL Brighter Nights)

(RWL Brighter Nights + Onix ENB, also Steam overlay because I'm stupid and forgot to turn it off)

As Beeb said, you can mess around with the ENB settings to make things brighter or darker. I haven't dared mess around with them myself, though. :ohdear:

quote:

(I really approve of your av as well!)
Dick Valentine is my number one role model.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
So I am playing New Vegas Bounties I and everything in Randall's shack has stacked together and now Steven has disappeared. (This started after I killed the Freddy Kruger bounty and I just finished the Regulator bounty) Anything I can do to fix this?