Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Quickscope420dad posted:

Genesis P. Orridge
NWS

Edit: Well that's a hell of a page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i know why, but i'm glad that's hosted on jim thirlwell's site

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

White Dog Eggs posted:

Ohhh, a lazy option but a good one! The thread would hurt your hands too. Maybe wrap it in rainbow string or something.

I figured the lime green duct tape handle was implied.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Come across this in the AUG thread - I think we have already seen the guitar on the right, but I'm totally digging the gold hardware on the left (unbranded) guitar.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

auzdark posted:

Come across this in the AUG thread - I think we have already seen the guitar on the right, but I'm totally digging the gold hardware on the left (unbranded) guitar.

I know we all know this by now, but man, this guy is the worst. gently caress.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Is it weird that I'm surprised that there isn't a humbucker in either of his guitars?

Like I would have figured that he would have a fat strat, an SG, or a PRS; not another strat (type guitar).

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

auzdark posted:

but I'm totally digging the gold hardware on the left (unbranded) guitar.

Looks like a regular strat copy, the kind you often get with those "guitar for beginners" packs, except with gold leaf in totally hideous places.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...ed=0CM0CEKYrMA8

This was my first guitar. I still have it and it's actually surprisingly good. I prefer its tone over my BC Rich Mockingbird ST if i'm playing something bluesy. But it's not exactly the kind of guitar to have by your side to look pimp. I've got an SG copy too, and that has gold plated pickups for ultimate ugliness.

As for that thing on his right? gently caress why would you even

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 22, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
we were talking strap locks right? what are your favs, these just arrived today, hopefully they're better than the weird bright blue clip based ones i had on an old guitar

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Quickscope420dad posted:

As for that thing on his right? gently caress why would you even

I'm sure I don't remember the whole story but it was classic Romeo Rose. His name is Romeo and the guitar is called Juliet.

He designed it and it has all sorts of deep (for him) symbolism or scenes from his life or something like that (no doubt his life has been very lumpy). He had it custom made by, I think, someone who was disabled. It arrived with a small scratch or something and he tried to get out of paying for it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Stux posted:

we were talking strap locks right? what are your favs, these just arrived today, hopefully they're better than the weird bright blue clip based ones i had on an old guitar

I like to use dunlops too!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Stux posted:

Grolsch! I've screwed in a few Gretsch buttons before as well.

I tend to shy away from strap locks due to more than one friend having theirs fail.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I use the dimarzio cliplocks because...uh i don't know why, i just like them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Grolsch! I've screwed in a few Gretsch buttons before as well.

I tend to shy away from strap locks due to more than one friend having theirs fail.

I went for these on recommendation that they're a more solid system, you replace the strap buttons on the guitar itself with them, then have bits which go the other side of the strap which lock the strap in. They can also be used without the extra bits as normal strap buttons.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

muike posted:

I use the dimarzio cliplocks because...uh i don't know why, i just like them

They work, they're comfy, and you can get them in all sorts of funky garish loud colours. I'd really like a plain leather one with metal components rather than plastic though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They do make two leather versions but I don't think they have metal clips. And the lower end metal one isn't supposed to be that nice.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
oh yeah the clip locks were what i had before on an older guitar and they worked fine until one of the clips broke

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

One leather version and another with Steve Vai branding all over it. If I could find metal cliplocks I could make the rest of the strap myself. Unfortunately googling for stainless steel (or something else nice and shiny) cliplocks gives many results, all of them the wrong thing I'm looking for.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
In my experience with just the plastic clips, you would ding the poo poo out of your guitar with metal ones.

here's the "good" one without vai labeling: http://dimarzio.com/straps/cliplock/luxury-leather-cliplock

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I like Dunlops. I also am apparently a lamer because I don't do sick crabcore moves or whatever. But locks secure with bigger screws than normal buttons and I had one near-miss where I dropped a guitar by trying to swing it behind my back to get it out of my way for a second so now locks on everything.

The only thing I dislike is the way they place the attachment of the strap a bit away from the guitar body. If it were easier to find the countersunk Dunlops I'd probably use them on everything. The rubber washer trick is probably fine too, and I might use it on the Rat-rodded Squier I'm currently assembling.

Also holy duck is that video awful. I couldn't even stick it out until the bass solo. Oddly, none of that gear looked particularly expensive to me. And I usually know this stuff. Is there not a Mexican 70s Strat reissue that looks like that? Same for the bass, I just parsed it as some MIA standard thing. Also, what is the hivemind verdict on this version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuVK9jwBRBU

I like it. :ohdear:

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Not sure why people are getting all Greedo shot first over Cissy strut. The most interesting part of it is the drumming, so here's the best I could find. Shame about the sax.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dbBvxKDa2M

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Also, what is the hivemind verdict on this version?

dennis chambers is legit as gently caress

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNG8wW6Ffw4

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

My god, 80's keyboards(in particular the DX7) have ruined and dated many a good performance. Check out some mid 80's Bonnie Raitt or Stevie Ray to see what I mean...

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
They have not aged very well in most cases, no. Which has made me realize that this thread is mostly about the worst-looking instruments rather than the worst-sounnding ones. Sometimes there's overlap. Do Krank amps still exist? Those were definitely ugly in every medium.

Edit: Oh good, they might.

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 23, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

See, I actually like those terrible new-agey crystalline pianos and weird not-quite-oberheim synth pads and poo poo. If I knew half a poo poo about playing keyboards, that is 90% of what I'd play right there. I readily admit I'm a bad person.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
old synths and keyboards own sorry

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
sometimes i would play keytar in my high school jazz band. in the 2000's. but it's ugly in any decade really

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

umalt posted:

I like to use dunlops too!

best strap lock

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Scofield is legit too, him, Wes Montgomery, and Bill Frisell are the only jazz guitar players I can even remotely stand.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

See, I actually like those terrible new-agey crystalline pianos and weird not-quite-oberheim synth pads and poo poo. If I knew half a poo poo about playing keyboards, that is 90% of what I'd play right there. I readily admit I'm a bad person.

Me too, I spend a fair part of my job chasing down and playing those sounds, but when you hear the "E ORGAN 2" DX7 patch all over a blues classic, something's not right.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Chrpno posted:

Me too, I spend a fair part of my job chasing down and playing those sounds, but when you hear the "E ORGAN 2" DX7 patch all over a blues classic, something's not right.

we need a blues dad say emote

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Chrpno posted:

My god, 80's keyboards(in particular the DX7) have ruined and dated many a good performance. Check out some mid 80's Bonnie Raitt or Stevie Ray to see what I mean...

FM rules, what is dated about it is 99% of retards using the presets because they never learned to program it.

Edit. Here's one ugly FM synth from the eighties

I just got one but it's bricked. I may have to set it on fire or something.

W424 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 23, 2014

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Ferrous Wheel posted:

They have not aged very well in most cases, no. Which has made me realize that this thread is mostly about the worst-looking instruments rather than the worst-sounnding ones. Sometimes there's overlap. Do Krank amps still exist? Those were definitely ugly in every medium.

Edit: Oh good, they might.

According to wikipedia the guy behind them (Tony Krank) left in 2010 and they folded early in 2013. Apparently that guy got the brand back and had enough sense to realise that the name probably wasn't doing them much good: http://www.krankamps.com/
Forgettable, yeah, but still an improvement.

Also:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

lmbo at the pristine white scratchplate

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

W424 posted:

FM rules, what is dated about it is 99% of retards using the presets because they never learned to program it.

Edit. Here's one ugly FM synth from the eighties

I just got one but it's bricked. I may have to set it on fire or something.

yeah you might as well complain about all guitarists because some people use lovely tones

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
all guitarists are awful tho

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

yeah you might as well complain about all guitarists because some people use lovely tones

Well the dx7 is kinda famous for being "difficult" to program, most units sent for repairs had factory patches intact etc. And the presets are mostly lovely imitations of "real" instruments, such as a loving tuba.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Shout out to Oscar Romeo Romeo for sending me some truely awful knobs/tips and a cool little lego guy by special delivery. You are an officer and a gentleman.

I WILL upload some pictures later. Things have been a bit mad for the last few days.

th1nk posted:

According to wikipedia the guy behind them (Tony Krank) left in 2010 and they folded early in 2013. Apparently that guy got the brand back and had enough sense to realise that the name probably wasn't doing them much good: http://www.krankamps.com/
Forgettable, yeah, but still an improvement.

Also:

Has that been hit with a hammer.

W424 posted:

Well the dx7 is kinda famous for being "difficult" to program, most units sent for repairs had factory patches intact etc. And the presets are mostly lovely imitations of "real" instruments, such as a loving tuba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2myFLUDB74

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Changing my name to Synthesizer X, buying that shirt and also this sofa.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/11/29/awesome-synthesizer-sofa/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Best synth is Soviet synth
http://youtu.be/sJj9y4t9UnU

• Locked thread