Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

SoftDrink posted:

So i just got back from my local game store after looking at the new Daemon Hunter book(aka Grey Knights). I was going through it with some of my friends and we feel that its really bland all the cool named characters are gone and it all kinda seems lacking in the cool stuff category. I was wondering if any of you that have seen the book and have a similar or different opinion?

The inquisition stuff got put into its own codex a few months back so now the GK codex is just GK units. If you want to use inquisitors and retinues you need to ally them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Assassins codex is pretty hilarious. You can ally 1 assassin or take a formation of all 4 (570 points). Either way, you get a bonus VP if an assassin takes out the enemy warlord, and the formation gets Preferred Enemy (Warlord).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does the Eversor explode again? This is important.

SRM posted:

I'm painting the Hellbrute from DV, and I don't know if it's just because I've been painting models older than the target audience of this game, but this thing's obscenely detailed. There's so much banding and tentacles and eyes and weird poo poo all over the place.
Even the cultists are like that. I just finished the first 10 of a squad and they took a little while. They were really fun models to paint though since I could just toss random colors all over the place and not worry about the squad looking unified. I just wish they weren't quite so covered in straps and little icons. And all the other chaos stuff is even more detailed. :shepface:

Only 20 more to go. They're going to pal around with Kharn in a big, dumb blob.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Of course, the large amount of sculpted detail on the DV Chaos models makes a wash/dip approach to painting them look better if anything, as there's so much for the shading to pick out compared to e.g. the relatively flat surfaces of a loyalist marine. If you want to detail all the filigree and spikes by hand, though, then yeah, you've got your work cut out for you.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Safety Factor posted:

Does the Eversor explode again? This is important.

S5 AP- D6"

He also overwatches at his full BS8, and does 8 S5 power sword attacks on the charge from 3D6 away (cumulative), ignoring the penalty for difficult terrain.

Fix fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 23, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fix posted:

S5 AP- D6"

He also overwatches at his full BS8, and does 8 S5 power sword attacks on the charge from 3D6 away (cumulative), ignoring the penalty for difficult terrain.

Good.

:v: Being ridiculous is the whole point of 40K assassins. They are there to fight fire with fire, herohammer with more herohammer.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 23, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
The vindicare is clearly meant to be able to allocate every shot he makes. He's supposed to be the best loving sniper around

Anyone who argues that point is going to get a swift kick to the scrunt. Any more details about their points and stats?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Vindicare is 150 points.

They all have a profile of 8 8 4 4 3 7 4 10 4++.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It's the Culexus that blows my mind. All CC ignores armor, 6's on the wound roll are ID, and any wounds against psykers are ID. Psykers within 12 are -3Ld, don't generate warp charges, can only harness warp charge points on a 6, cannot target the Culexus with any psychic abilities, and just moving within 12" immediately cancels any blessings or maledictions. Also, any attacks against a culexus are treated as if you have BS/WS 1. Always. And the Animus Speculum fires in the psychic phase (leaving her still able to shoot/run) totals the Mastry Level of every psyker within 12", Plus another 3 dice out of your own warp charge pool and fires that many 18" S5 AP1 shots.

Weirdly though, it does not seem to actually have any close combat weapons.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Vindicare is 150 points.

They all have a profile of 8 8 4 4 3 7 4 10 4++.

Hot drat son! Time to get ahold of this dataslate.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I picked up the dataslate since I was curious and wanted to add an assassin to my army. I was originally unimpressed with the fact that the Eversor could overwatch at full BS. Turns out he shoots his pistol 4 times and can switch between the bolt and needle options. The Eversor looks like it'd be a ton of fun to field, but it's the Culexus that's a goddamn beast.

Oh, and the only assassin that's in stock is the Vindicare, but he's boring. I wanted an exploding maniac. :negative:

JerryLee posted:

Of course, the large amount of sculpted detail on the DV Chaos models makes a wash/dip approach to painting them look better if anything, as there's so much for the shading to pick out compared to e.g. the relatively flat surfaces of a loyalist marine. If you want to detail all the filigree and spikes by hand, though, then yeah, you've got your work cut out for you.
Yeah, the cultists really took washes and drybrushing well. That's pretty much all I did other than some basic highlights and they turned out fine. More than good enough for 4 point models anyway. The shading was easy, but getting the base colors down and picking out the details pre-wash took a while.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

I picked up the dataslate since I was curious and wanted to add an assassin to my army. I was originally unimpressed with the fact that the Eversor could overwatch at full BS. Turns out he shoots his pistol 4 times and can switch between the bolt and needle options. The Eversor looks like it'd be a ton of fun to field, but it's the Culexus that's a goddamn beast.

Oh, and the only assassin that's in stock is the Vindicare, but he's boring. I wanted an exploding maniac. :negative:

Yeah, the cultists really took washes and drybrushing well. That's pretty much all I did other than some basic highlights and they turned out fine. More than good enough for 4 point models anyway. The shading was easy, but getting the base colors down and picking out the details pre-wash took a while.

Would you say it's worth it for a tenner?

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

Is the Callidus assassin still broken?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SoftDrink posted:

Is the Callidus assassin still broken?

Sounds like sour grapes.

It gets to deploy from any board edge from reserves or infiltrate within 1" of an enemy unit. On the turn it does, it can only be snap-shot at. Re-roll the Seize the Initiative roll. Also your opponent is at -3 for their first reserve roll (which seems kinda dumb, to be honest) The Neural Shredder is Poison 4+ AP2. The Phase Sword is AP2 and 6's to wound ignore invulns. Regardless of that she's also got a 3+ poison rending weapon. Nothing she does is any good against vehicles.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
My understanding is that it's the Cullexus that's the true winner here; I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up quite often.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
[quote="The Sex Cannon" post="43386ti
Any NOVA/DC/MD goons want to get a game in this weekend? I need to practice 7th edition for the upcoming NOVA Open.
[/quote]

I don't know if someones already answered you, but I live in Fairfax and would be down to play. I don't have a car this weekend though, and also work nights so either sleep.almost of the day or am just tired.

Phoneposting also blows. PM me!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lord Twisted posted:

The vindicare is clearly meant to be able to allocate every shot he makes.

You'd think that, but until it gets errata'd people are going to argue this point until the cows come home. And good loving luck on GW fixing it in a timely manner.

Both his weapons have Sniper, so having Deadshot as a rule would be entirely pointless UNLESS it works on every successful to-hit roll, not just a 6. But hey it wouldn't be the first time that a unit got a redundant rule.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
When I was using the vindicare, the debate in my group was whether it's shooting attacks were S 4d6 or S 3+4d6. Glad to see rules for what should be a simple unit are still messy.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I just don't understand how people argue these points. The old rule for turbo shot was clearly s3+4d6 as it was a sniper weapon which did 4d6 pen rather than the normal 1d6 pen.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Lord Twisted posted:

I just don't understand how people argue these points. The old rule for turbo shot was clearly s3+4d6 as it was a sniper weapon which did 4d6 pen rather than the normal 1d6 pen.

I totally agree with you, but I played a few people at a GW store who were pretty adamant the other way. Hams being hams, I suppose.

These new rules kick butt. Time to dust off my old assassins / death cult assassins list and make it work again!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

i thought the eventually FAQ'd it to be the other way

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Do these assassins have eternal warrior?

Eitherway, their stats look awesome for their points.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I noticed that the new Culexus rules have Preferred Enemy (Psykers). There's also a Lictor formation with Preferred Enemy (Characters + ICs). How does that work against mixed units? You could quite easily have a Psyker/Character/IC in a squad without any of those rules.

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Do these assassins have eternal warrior?

Nope, and they're only T4 W3 with a 4++. Not too hard to kill. The Culexus forces attacks on him at WS/BS1, but you can still use blasts+templates well enough.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Fix posted:

It's the Culexus that blows my mind. All CC ignores armor, 6's on the wound roll are ID, and any wounds against psykers are ID. Psykers within 12 are -3Ld, don't generate warp charges, can only harness warp charge points on a 6, cannot target the Culexus with any psychic abilities, and just moving within 12" immediately cancels any blessings or maledictions. Also, any attacks against a culexus are treated as if you have BS/WS 1. Always. And the Animus Speculum fires in the psychic phase (leaving her still able to shoot/run) totals the Mastry Level of every psyker within 12", Plus another 3 dice out of your own warp charge pool and fires that many 18" S5 AP1 shots.

Weirdly though, it does not seem to actually have any close combat weapons.
Yea, that model should be 300-350 points, a Lord of War, and limited to 2000+ games.

It should have never been made. It takes the fun out of the game, it makes me not want to play people who field them because it hard counters my entire army (and at least 2 others), and it proves GW bias. I really despise myself for getting so deep into 40k just to have it bite me.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Can you take more than one assassin, or is it still an 0-1 type choice?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The Gate posted:

Can you take more than one assassin, or is it still an 0-1 type choice?
Each assassin is a single detachment, so you can take as many as you like. There's also a special formation with one of each type that gives them Preferred Enemy against Warlords.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Yea, that model should be 300-350 points, a Lord of War, and limited to 2000+ games.
They're very killy and probably a bit undercosted, but seriously they're not too hard to knock down. A single T4 model without EW or any ability to restore wounds isn't hard to pick off.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

It should have never been made. It takes the fun out of the game, it makes me not want to play people who field them because it hard counters my entire army (and at least 2 others), and it proves GW bias. I really despise myself for getting so deep into 40k just to have it bite me.

No one would take this thing as a LoW. 350 points? Are you insane? What does it hard counter except for GK, who will just template or blast a T4 model off the table? Daemons?

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 23, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's not that bad. Seriously, it only has a 4+ and yes you shoot at it with BS1 but even then that's still not that terrible. Yeah, it hard counters several armies but it's not like impossible to kill , a Squad of Screamers blasting over it can manage to murder it.

It also cannot ever join a squad so it's just on it's lonesome.

I think the assassins are kind of balanced. Yeah their very powerful but they should be. They all though have pretty easy counters. I have not seen it in book form but I can say it sounds like anything that's AV and charges it will tie it up.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 23, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Shoot it with a lasgun. Problem solved.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

reagan posted:

I'm replaying Dawn of War II and I'm really enjoying it. Are Chaos Rising and Retribution worth purchasing?
If you're playing the campaigns, Chaos Rising is definitely worth it. It continues the story from DoWII and some of your choices and equipment carry over. It's a great expansion pack. Retribution has the most fun multiplayer I've ever experienced in an RTS, but unfortunately the community died off after Starcraft II came out. The campaign in Retribution is really lovely, but there's some entertainment in the dialogue and such. The actual gameplay of the campaign is shallow and they just remix the same handful of missions for every army available to play as.

It's one model with T4 and a 4++. You can kill it with small arms fire. I don't think it's going to show up on every table, and even then, it'll do some damage then get eviscerated. I also have no idea what you mean by "GW bias" in this case, or how one single model from one single supplement absolutely ruins this game for you.

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, my cultists were base color + Agrax Earthshade then a highlight with their base color again. The variety of colors I used ended up with them taking longer to paint than my actual Chaos Marines though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It's weird that they gave the Culexus both the rule that says anyone attacking it is BS/WS1 and also gave it Fear. Am I forgetting something extra about the Fear rule, or is that just completely redundant? I guess it could be effective to cause Fear in a unit you are assaulting with multiple units...

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

It's weird that they gave the Culexus both the rule that says anyone attacking it is BS/WS1 and also gave it Fear. Am I forgetting something extra about the Fear rule, or is that just completely redundant? I guess it could be effective to cause Fear in a unit you are assaulting with multiple units...

Makes the enemy ws1 for the culexes striking back at them?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh. Right. Duh.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

If you're playing the campaigns, Chaos Rising is definitely worth it. It continues the story from DoWII and some of your choices and equipment carry over. It's a great expansion pack. Retribution has the most fun multiplayer I've ever experienced in an RTS, but unfortunately the community died off after Starcraft II came out. The campaign in Retribution is really lovely, but there's some entertainment in the dialogue and such. The actual gameplay of the campaign is shallow and they just remix the same handful of missions for every army available to play as.

For anyone that hasn't played Retribution, it is totally worth it for the Ork campaign. It's easily the best. :orks101:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I painted another one.

More pics in the Models thread.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

For anyone that hasn't played Retribution, it is totally worth it for the Ork campaign. It's easily the best. :orks101:
The campaign is just Attack+Move from point A to point B pretty much endlessly, and even on very hard you can do that. It bummed me out, especially when in vanilla and Chaos Rising you had to be smart and use terrain to your advantage. That being said, the Ork characters are great and really funny.

serious gaylord posted:

I painted another one.

God drat son, that's fantastic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

serious gaylord posted:

I painted another one.

That really is an amazing job what was your hours spent on it?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

The campaign is just Attack+Move from point A to point B pretty much endlessly, and even on very hard you can do that. It bummed me out, especially when in vanilla and Chaos Rising you had to be smart and use terrain to your advantage. That being said, the Ork characters are great and really funny.

The campaigns are alright. Am I the only person who enjoyed last stand more, though? You couldn't binge on it but it was always a good time with a couple friends.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

The campaigns are alright. Am I the only person who enjoyed last stand more, though? You couldn't binge on it but it was always a good time with a couple friends.

I still occasionally play Last Stand with friends. It can be really, really fun and I'd definitely put it above the campaigns. They were pretty lackluster and only the Ork campaign was any good, but that was just from entertainment factor. The space marine campaign was alright if you absolutely had to finish the storyline from DoW2 and Chaos Rising. Still, I do miss the regular multiplayer and I'd happily play again if I had a group. I'd still be terrible too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I never really got the appeal of Last Stand. It's fun for a few rounds but it's really repetitive. Given my utter and absolute disdain for MOBAs, I just think that sort of game isn't for me.

• Locked thread