Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Cheekio posted:

I don't know about CFCs but I do know that Nitros Oxide is not (physically) addictive, doesn't cause long term damage to the brain, and basically the lowest rung on the hippie drug ladder. Everyone's on acid and 2cb and there may have been some heroin in this X but it only went south when someone lugged out the NOs tank.

I'd suggest not talking about "physical addiction"- it's not a meaningful concept. There's no evidence of Nitrous Oxide producing physical dependence (tolerance or withdrawal). It's not the same concept as addiction, which has been documented in very rare cases with Nitrous Oxide. The substance is not scheduled, and not regulated federally aside from some FDA misbranding regs (you're not supposed to advertise it for getting high). There are often state laws banning its use for that purpose, but the only significant concern I'm aware of is that it can rapidly deplete B12 levels, and like a lot of things that are purely recreational, its effects in children and pregnant women aren't well-documented. It's a bit like how you can get high off of snorting nutmeg, but it's not addictive, almost always incredibly unpleasant, and can easily cause organ failure. It still kills a couple people a year, but it's not viewed as a significant mental or physical health risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

visceril posted:

So did they replace CFCs with NO2? I was old enough to be aware of CFC=bad, but young enough to not care/be ignorant of it.

Now that I think about it I actually don't use aerosols. My mom never once bought cheese whiz, and the cool whip I mentioned. And the cleaning supplies are spray bottles instead of aerosol cans

Is the nitrogen why the loving chip bag is only halfway full? Because gently caress that nonsense

CFCs and nitrous oxide have rarely been used for the same sorts of products. Other things have replaced CFCs where CFCs used to go, but nitrous has been used for food and drink since the early 20th century.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
i had a teacher who said there never was a hole in the Ozone layer because she still has a refrigerator from the 70's, and it's full of CFCs, but no one ever talks about it anymore.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

Pretty sure Simpsons made jokes about the Grammys being bad when the years when the season number was still single digit.

A zillion pages late and probably already posted, but before I forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf9V0hwJ6qk

September 30, 1993, Season 5

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Having just finished watching the West Wing for a second time, I read up on it and learned that no one involved in the West Wing did anything worthwhile afterwards :smith:

Unless you count that one girl who's on Mad Men now

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wolfsheim posted:

Having just finished watching the West Wing for a second time, I read up on it and learned that no one involved in the West Wing did anything worthwhile afterwards :smith:

Allison Janney's had a pretty successful career.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Kristin Chenoweth was in Pushing Daisies, Emily Procter did CSI: Miami, Rob Lowe joined Parks and Recreation and Alan Sorkin wrote Moneyball and the Social Network.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Allison Janney's had a pretty successful career.

She was in the Strangers With Candy movie so she's pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCUKMC4V4-s&t=25s

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsheim posted:

Dule Hill went on to be the only black lead on a major cable network (which is both a Psych joke and true).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Wolfsheim posted:

Jimmy Smits was in Dexter.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bradley Whitford was pretty great in Cabin in the Woods.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Wolfsheim posted:

no one involved in the West Wing did anything worthwhile afterwards :smith:

As Martin Sheen said, "With great power, comes great responsibility."

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

As Martin Sheen said, "With great power, comes great responsibility."

Just so we're clear he said worthwhile :smugbert:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Kurtofan posted:

Jimmy Smits was in Dexter.

First Bass posted:

Just so we're clear he said worthwhile :smugbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Alhazred posted:

Kristin Chenoweth was in Pushing Daisies, Emily Procter did CSI: Miami, Rob Lowe joined Parks and Recreation and Alan Sorkin wrote Moneyball and the Social Network.

I'll give you Social Network, but Moneyball was terrible and I was actually thinking of the Newsroom when I wrote my post, and that other show. It's also hard to cite Rob Lowe since he quit the show early and came back for like two scenes at the end so that claim is pretty dubious!

Everything else people listed was either cancelled, ultimately did poorly or is just kinda subpar in general. With the possibly debatable exception of Psych.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rob Lowe's in roughly half of The West Wing, and it's the better half too.

Sorkin also wrote Charlie Wilson's War, which wasn't bad.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I know Alison Janney's in Masters of Sex now; I haven't seen it so I can't say if that's any good.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Of course there's plot holes in Primer: time travel is inherently a paradox

If you think you understood it though, you're wrong.

http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/primer-chart.jpg

Defenestration fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 23, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Chantilly Say posted:

I know Alison Janney's in Masters of Sex now; I haven't seen it so I can't say if that's any good.
She and Beau Bridges might just be the best part of the show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Defenestration posted:

Unless you used the immutable 12 Monkeys model

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Defenestration posted:

yeah, i meant even with suspension of disbelief and even if you ignore the glaring time travel paradox bullshit, there were still plot holes.

quote:

If you think you understood it though, you're wrong.

nah, that's pretty much what i understood. i mean, this is a hugely complicated and poorly made chart - if anything, it makes things seem more complicated than they are. but i guess that's the difference between 'i know what happened' and 'i know every detail of what happened and can reproduce it in graph form'

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Wolfsheim posted:

What makes this especially hilarious on rewatches is that pretty much all the one episode characters went on to better things.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

It's also hard to cite Rob Lowe since he quit the show early and came back for like two scenes at the end so that claim is pretty dubious!
You have to admit that that is pretty pedantic.

quote:

Everything else people listed was either cancelled, ultimately did poorly or is just kinda subpar in general. With the possibly debatable exception of Psych.
While Pushing Daisies was cancelled it's hard to say it wasn't worthwhile and Chenoweth is one of the best things about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=151B6Eq2t9o
CSI: Miami is also entertaining because it's basically Torque.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 23, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Alhazred posted:

While Pushing Daisies was cancelled it's hard to say it wasn't worthwhile and Chenoweth is one of the best things about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=151B6Eq2t9o
she's also pretty big on broadway, so y'know, it's not like she faded away

e: also having her on the same show as ellen greene was good

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 23, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Wolfsheim posted:

It's also hard to cite Rob Lowe since he quit the show early and came back for like two scenes at the end so that claim is pretty dubious!

Rob Lowe was on West Wing for like half its run dude.

Martin Sheen went on to play The Illusive Man.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I watched Four Lions yesterday and it was funny as gently caress.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's good yes

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Swan Oat posted:

I watched Four Lions yesterday and it was funny as gently caress.
Four Lions is crying funny. It's the business.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
just watched "Bulworth" for the first time a couple days ago, and just... wow

i'd vote for this guy:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SlipUp posted:

just watched "Bulworth" for the first time a couple days ago, and just... wow

It took some time before I realized that that movie existed even though I really dug Ghetto Supastar.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Warren Beatty's attempts at rapping were really bad in that movie. It was embarrassing.

edit: v I dun get it

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 23, 2014

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hedera Helix posted:

Warren Beatty's attempts at rapping were really bad in that movie. It was embarrassing.

You know who rules at rapping? Nick Bockwinkel. :D

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

To be fair, rap in that period of time was pretty embarrassing too.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I know we finished house buying vs. renting already, but I really need to point out another argument for buying your own house: As a homeowner, nobody will evict you for a squeaky sex swing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

edit: v I dun get it

Rapping wrestler. You're welcome.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Let's play a game of Which Presidents Got Their Dicks Sucked by a Black Lady

(only white presidents are included for the sake of decorum)

All presidents until Hoover: yes, except Van Buren
Hoover: no
FDR: yes
Truman: yes
Eisenhower: yes
JFK: yes, probably Eartha Kitt
Nixon: no
Ford: yes
Carter: no
Reagan: no
Bush I: yes
Clinton: surprise! no
Bush II: no (alternately, let Sec Rice do it once out of pity)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

uhuh

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
kind of a weird game to play imo

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Let's play a game of Which Presidents Got Their Dicks Sucked by a Black Lady

(only white presidents are included for the sake of decorum)

All presidents until Hoover: yes, except Van Buren
Hoover: no
FDR: yes
Truman: yes
Eisenhower: yes
JFK: yes, probably Eartha Kitt
Nixon: no
Ford: yes
Carter: no
Reagan: no
Bush I: yes
Clinton: surprise! no
Bush II: no (alternately, let Sec Rice do it once out of pity)

:waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
no, think about it

• Locked thread