Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Weren't those green crystals where Korra was held the same type of crystals where Aang 'died' in season 2 of The Last Airbender?

And the giant field of earth columns was obviously a homage to the Ozai vs Aang fight at the end of season 3.

Some nice visual touches here and there to allude to events in the previous series, I like that. The only dumb thing about the episode was letting the mooks have the keys to the handcuffs for all the prisoners. There's no reason you would ever want to free those people easily. Destroy the keys, or keep them with Zaheer or, I don't know, do anything but keep them within reach of a jailbreak. Bit of an oversight, trusting mooks like that.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Wow. It's been said many times, but I'm so glad this show is good again.

- Every shot of the Air Temple melting was loving awesome. This show sets a really high bar for background art.
- Particularly loved the shot where Korra's dad lunges at Zaheer with the ice shiv. I dunno why. The killing intent was just really clear in his expression and struck me as something not often shown in Avatar/Nickelodeon.
- I admit I cheered when Korra broke out. Was really hoping Zaheer would be kicked around for messing with something he didn't really understand. And he was!
- Loved the visual callbacks to the Aang/Ozai fight. Psycho firejetman chasing after the airbender hopping around. Good stuff.
- RIP Ghazan, you were the cool one. :(

Hope a mod changes the title again when the next season starts, since I'm sure Nick isn't gonna tow that line. :v:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone else love the detail they put into the facial expressions? especially Ghazan staring down a wall of lava coming his way and P'li constantly making murder-stares while exploding stuff?
And at the end Korra's eyes perking up when the kids are mentioned or around.

Also, lavabending is pretty overpowered, in <5 minutes one guy can bring down a mountain temple.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 23, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Holy poo poo did Zaheer just airbend the loving life out of the Earth Queen? Is that the Air-bending equivalent to bloodbending?

Asphyxiation.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ladies and gentlemen: Your spiritual leader. Korrazilla

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Read posted:

Asphyxiation.

I used to think to myself all the time in The Last Airbender that this would been the ultimate move of the Airbenders. Just remove all the oxygen from an area and let your foes pass out... I say pass out because I doubt they had it in them to outright murder anyone. I think I spend too much time pondering this stuff because I've also wondered why fire benders don't just control the heat around them to freeze everyone to death.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Liar posted:

I used to think to myself all the time in The Last Airbender that this would been the ultimate move of the Airbenders. Just remove all the oxygen from an area and let your foes pass out... I say pass out because I doubt they had it in them to outright murder anyone. I think I spend too much time pondering this stuff because I've also wondered why fire benders don't just control the heat around them to freeze everyone to death.

Well, going by what we've seen, it's also not something you can do under a lot of stress, or with any outside interference. I suspect maintaining a vacuum requires a ton of concentration, but that's just my speculation.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It was nice to see some big teamwork bending win the day to create something much bigger then one person could do.

Also the imagery of the red lotus crumbling in the cave collapse was a nice touch.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jesto posted:

And the giant field of earth columns was obviously a homage to the Ozai vs Aang fight at the end of season 3.

That, and it's a visual reference to Guilin:

The geological formations of Guilin have inspired thousands of years of Chinese art. The aesthetic also apparently spread to Japanese culture, which is why I suspect some animes involve combat in giant earth pillar areas, like DBZ.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

TheBalor posted:

Well, going by what we've seen, it's also not something you can do under a lot of stress, or with any outside interference. I suspect maintaining a vacuum requires a ton of concentration, but that's just my speculation.

Zaheer's got nothing on Aang's former master.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Depressed, traumatized Korra in the last episode has a few lessons to learn from Shinji. :v:

From Steve Ahn

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

Zaheer's got nothing on Aang's former master.

Wow, that guy levitated the skin and muscle off his face.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
I feel like we didn't see Korra fight enough. I mean she's a fully realised avatar, should she not be able to just destroy anyone? Was there a reason she was afraid of the 4 big bads?

Besides that, the character designs were pretty awesome and this season had some genuinely funny stuff. If they had more episodes to expand on it, would have been much better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kiran posted:

I think that Sokka is funnier than Bolin, but I think it's because ATLA was a lighter series as a whole. When this series gets going you don't really want comic relief.

Even Hamlet had comic relief. Actually the cut to Naga & Pabu fighting over the scarf is pretty classic comic relief.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Awesome finale - The only nitpick I've got with the season at all is I wish Zaheer had a little clearer motivation. It's just...such a stupid loving viewpoint. On the one hand he's a spiritual master who can enter the spirit realm at will and has unlocked the ultimate technique of airbending, counterweighed against the political views of a 15 year old who listens to too much Pennywise.

It would have been nice if he'd acknowledged that anarchy itself would necessarily involve certain amount of cruelty and 'might-makes-right', but then conceded that even that is a price worth paying for what he considers 'freedom'. His motivations are just so...weak.

All it would have taken is a few minutes for him to acknowledge that Ba-Tsing-Se is now a chaotic kill-or-be-killed, smash-and-grab shithole, but that these were birthing pains of something better, and a necessary price to pay. Hell, he had several scenes this season where all he did was espouse his viewpoint, and it still came off as ill thought out.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
I honestly feel a generic revenge plot against his captors (who would include earth queen/zuko/avatar of course) would have been better.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

4 Day Weekend posted:

I feel like we didn't see Korra fight enough. I mean she's a fully realised avatar, should she not be able to just destroy anyone? Was there a reason she was afraid of the 4 big bads?

She wasn't. They were afraid of her. Not once did they give her an opportunity to fight them fair. First they tranquilized her, then they took her friends hostage, then they took an entire nation hostage, and then they shackled and poisoned her, all to prevent them from having to fight her head-on. Korra would've been more than happy to kick their asses, and actively tried to hunt them down. She wasn't scared of them, she was scared of what they might do to others to get to her.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

People have noted before that it was neat that the Red Lotus's biggest strength was their ability to work together as a team... so I thought it was well done that they ended up getting defeated one by one.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
My biggest beef with the episode is that, ultimately, why the Red Lotus failed is because they underestimated the Avatar State's power. After they went through all that planning to force her into the change you would think that they would have come up with a means of binding her that would last more than 5 seconds. I mean, she can bend MOUNTAINS in that form, obviously she could pull the base of her bindings out of the wall!

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
So does thus turn into the season 4 thread or will there be a new one I have to scour for later?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Dezinus posted:

- Particularly loved the shot where Korra's dad lunges at Zaheer with the ice shiv. I dunno why. The killing intent was just really clear in his expression and struck me as something not often shown in Avatar/Nickelodeon.

It seems like Korra's dad is one of the few characters allowed to be really brutal and direct with his moves, even in the S2 fight with Unalaq and his fight with Zaheer during the ice prison breakout. All the other waterbenders are generally more deflecting or using water to snare/trap opponents, whereas he just goes for kill shots. Definitely one of the more impressive fighters.

Silynt posted:

My biggest beef with the episode is that, ultimately, why the Red Lotus failed is because they underestimated the Avatar State's power. After they went through all that planning to force her into the change you would think that they would have come up with a means of binding her that would last more than 5 seconds. I mean, she can bend MOUNTAINS in that form, obviously she could pull the base of her bindings out of the wall!

Maybe they didn't realize how much physically stronger the Avatar state makes the Avatar. It's expected that the bending power level will increase, but a teenage girl being able to pull metal chains out of the wall is probably not something they foresaw.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Metropolis posted:

Also, isn't an imprisoned Zaheer just going to be loving poo poo up in the spirit world all the time? Zuko should talk to Iroh about setting up some kinda spirit world barrier.

If the spirit world now has an open portal to the human world, can he go into the spirit world and walk back into the human world as a spirit?

ImpAtom posted:

Katara said Sokka was dead in the very first episode.

I choose to believe that Sokka built a rocket and went to live on the moon. :unsmith:

Or die on the moon. :smith:

demota fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 23, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Maybe they didn't realize how much physically stronger the Avatar state makes the Avatar. It's expected that the bending power level will increase, but a teenage girl being able to pull metal chains out of the wall is probably not something they foresaw.

As always, they made the fatal mistake of underestimating how swole Korra is.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

She didn't even pull them out of the wall other than the first one. She straight up snapped the rest like brittle china.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Red Lotus is pretty hardcore. They fully intended to murder a four-year old.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

AshB posted:

Red Lotus is pretty hardcore. They fully intended to murder a four-year old.

I think the implication was that they would have just raised her with Red Lotus beliefs, at that age. But now that's not really possible anymore.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, I think we can pretty safely assume that humans in the Avatar "universe" are generally more strong and durable than real-world people to begin with, but even then Korra's buff as hell.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
That would've kept the avatar cycle going, which is the opposite of their whacked out plan for "true" balance.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I guess we now know that the line is somewhere between big boat explosion big enough to kill two people, and small head-based explosion

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I just want the next season to be Romance of the Three Earth Kingdoms. Is that so much to ask for?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm wondering how in season 4 they are going to get Korra out of the wheelchair, personally I'm hoping for Rocky montage.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

AshB posted:

That would've kept the avatar cycle going, which is the opposite of their whacked out plan for "true" balance.

We've already seen that they're willing to use force to achieve that balance, though. If they could have used the Avatar to impose that balance, I don't think it would have been outside of their ability to rationalize. And Zaheer even flat-out said (in his conversation with Korra in the spirit world) that their original plan was to take her as a kid to get her to open the spirit portals.

"And with members of the Red Lotus as your elemental masters, we could have taught you so much!"
"Sounds like you wanted to brainwash me so I'd do whatever you wanted!"
"No, Korra. All I wanted was to show the Avatar a better path for the world."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

I guess we now know that the line is somewhere between big boat explosion big enough to kill two people, and small head-based explosion

I would legitimately not be shocked if the line also changed depending on if it was a hero killing a villain vs a villain killing another villain.

Of course, supposedly Mako killed his opponent so maybe it alos depends on how ambiguous it is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I would legitimately not be shocked if the line also changed depending on if it was a hero killing a villain vs a villain killing another villain.

Of course, supposedly Mako killed his opponent so maybe it alos depends on how ambiguous it is.

I'm not sure if Mako was responsible for her death - I think she died "for sure" when the cave system got flooded with lava.

It was kind of unclear.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AshB posted:

Having someone sacrifice themselves for the cause sounds like something Zaheer would do.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

McKilligan posted:

All it would have taken is a few minutes for him to acknowledge that Ba-Tsing-Se is now a chaotic kill-or-be-killed, smash-and-grab shithole, but that these were birthing pains of something better, and a necessary price to pay.

He already acknowledged this in his conversation with Korra in the spirit world.

"The idea of having nations and governments is as foolish as keeping the human and spirit world separate! You've had to deal with a moronic president, and a tyrannical queen. Don't you think the world would be better off if leaders like them were eliminated?"
"No! I mean, I don't really agree with what they've done, but taking out world leaders isn't the answer!"
"It wasn't too long ago that the airbenders were nearly all wiped out, thanks to the Fire Lord's desire for world dominance. True freedom can only be achieved when oppressive governments are torn down."
"But that won't bring balance, it will throw the world into chaos!"
"Exactly. The natural order is disorder. Do you know who once said, "new growth cannot exist without first the destruction of the old"?"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Spergatory posted:

I loving loved this shot. It's one of the only points in the ending where Korra looks kind of happy. Even if it didn't last long, her adoptive little siblings cheered her up. :3:

Actually that is not a happy smile at all. That's the smile of someone deeply depressed and traumatized, trying to smile for the sake of some little kids who don't know any better. Korra is going to be pretty hosed-up going into the next season. :smith:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AshB posted:

They probably would have conditioned her such that she would have willingly given up her life to end the Avatar cycle after they used her to meet their other goals, like opening the spirit portals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Silynt posted:

well it is not like they've seen the Avatar State before.

It's probably just one of those things where reading about it in books is completely inadequate to prepare for dealing with it in person.

• Locked thread