Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also would have been R rated since everyone on Barsoom just runs around naked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

muscles like this? posted:

They also would have been R rated since everyone on Barsoom just runs around naked.

Yep. I wonder how many old guys without internet access wandered in to the theater thinking, "This movie has Dejah Thoris in it, she's gotta be topless, it's the confusing and perverted 2010s after all..."

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm watching the long extended director's cut version and it's a lot better than the theater version. Has the pirate comics as an animated segment breaking up the main story.

E. A good moment is when Rorschach is captured the cops are all wailing on him in the street. They don't really approach him one by one, they gang up on him.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's entirely the point of it though. Something that comes out of nowhere and shocks everyone into reassessing the global situation as fast as possible. Using Dr. Manhattan makes little sense because he's already a known quantity to the entire world and governments on both sides have to have contingencies for everything he's possibly capable of doing.

It was just as out of left field in the book, really. The advantage the book has is you can put it down, say "what the gently caress", go back and review the clues, and then pick up again, whereas the film continues to run, but I'm sure you could pull it off if you wanted to.

Governments on both sides have contingencies for everything Dr Manhattan is capable of doing? Really? The 'limits' of his powers are always presented as a pretty unknown variable, apart from it being said he can't 'be everywhere at once' and strongly implied by him that he's essentially invulnerable. His apathy towards humanity was always his biggest limiting factor.

What contingencies do you think would have been in place for America's mysterious weapon suddenly flipping out on TV and destroying a dozen cities simultaneously?

In fact that reminds me, the movie ending certainly ties in better with Ozzy's plan to manipulate Jon. In the comic I guess everyone assumes he left for good after his freakout and everything else was a big coincidence, but the idea that he turned against humanity after his last public appearance does work quite well.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Okay, people, could we perhaps focus a bit more on general subtle movie moments and a little less on Watchmen specifically? This is fast turning into PYF Opinion About Watchmen.

Back on-topic: someone mentioned Scary Movie 3 earlier, and I wanted to point out that it has what may be the single greatest callback joke in the history of film: http://youtu.be/pIWh28WPyxQ?t=2m

Which, for those who don't know, is a reference to this classic running gag from Airplane: http://youtu.be/KSQyW_l8OgE

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Back on-topic: someone mentioned Scary Movie 3 earlier, and I wanted to point out that it has what may be the single greatest callback joke in the history of film: http://youtu.be/pIWh28WPyxQ?t=2m

Which, for those who don't know, is a reference to this classic running gag from Airplane: http://youtu.be/KSQyW_l8OgE

is that the only moment nielsen is in the movie?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lenoon posted:

Nah. Unsurprisingly he's the best part of the whole thing though, since he'd been doing spoofs for like 20 straight years at that point. Probably would have been worth it if it was his only moment though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I loved the cocking of the shovel.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

mind the walrus posted:

Nah. Unsurprisingly he's the best part of the whole thing though, since he'd been doing spoofs for like 20 straight years at that point. Probably would have been worth it if it was his only moment though.

He still couldn't save Dracula: Dead and Loving It, the only movie so bad I never finished watching it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Aleph Null posted:

He still couldn't save Dracula: Dead and Loving It, the only movie so bad I never finished watching it.

The blood firehose when they stake Lucy was funny, but the rest of it was pretty poo poo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

lenoon posted:

What was great about Leslie was that he could deliver a line and it would not be out of place in a comedy or a drama.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Okay, people, could we perhaps focus a bit more on general subtle movie moments and a little less on Watchmen specifically? This is fast turning into PYF Opinion About Watchmen.
I've been reading this thread since it started, and every time there's more than 50 unread posts I know there's been some people debating something stupid about a superhero movie or comic book adaptation. Take that crap elsewhere.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I saw The Giver earlier, one little thing I liked was that all the men had their hair parted to the same side, to make them all look the same.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Cat Hatter posted:

Didn't Kubrick usually just use source material as a jumping off point and then make his own barely-related movie?

Often, but a scene-by-scene adaption of a book to a movie isn't necessarily as faithful an adaption as one which plays with the material to make it fit the screen and end up with a work that has the same feeling and themes as the book.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mister Kingdom posted:

What was great about Leslie was that he could deliver a line and it would not be out of place in a comedy or a drama.

As someone who was born in the eighties, my first time seeing Forbidden Planet was an odd experience though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ratoslov posted:

Often, but a scene-by-scene adaption of a book to a movie isn't necessarily as faithful an adaption as one which plays with the material to make it fit the screen and end up with a work that has the same feeling and themes as the book.

Yeah, but try telling that to all the butthurt nerds after Kubrick's Watchmen is released. It would be worth it though just to watch Alan Moore's head explode.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm not sure if its just in the directors cut, but in Miami Vice Mann uses background lightning strikes to punctuate a lot of scenes, usually when stuff is getting worse. Kinda neat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

As far as I know he didn't do that either.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Ratoslov posted:

How often does that happen? It seems like what you usually get is some stupid poo poo about "changing the story so that a whole new group of fans can enjoy it!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Taking the Watchmen license and using it to reskin an unrelated production about the current state of superhero movies would have been a goddamn stroke of genius, but I can't think of a single writer or director that could have pulled it off.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Elendil004 posted:

I'm not sure if its just in the directors cut, but in Miami Vice Mann uses background lightning strikes to punctuate a lot of scenes, usually when stuff is getting worse. Kinda neat.

In the commentary track, Mann mentioned that none of that was SFX; apparently, Florida was having a banner year for hurricanes and storms and all of the lightning was just mother nature going wackadoodle. He even riffs on this, briefly, when Rico's girlfriend is captured, they play a weather report where they're announcing the latest storm beginning with the letter "O" or something ridiculous. Mann says that they didn't get quite that far into the alphabet, that year, but they got close.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

null_pointer posted:

In the commentary track, Mann mentioned that none of that was SFX; apparently, Florida was having a banner year for hurricanes and storms and all of the lightning was just mother nature going wackadoodle. He even riffs on this, briefly, when Rico's girlfriend is captured, they play a weather report where they're announcing the latest storm beginning with the letter "O" or something ridiculous. Mann says that they didn't get quite that far into the alphabet, that year, but they got close.

Every year is a banner year for storms in South Florida. I remember hitting the Ks and Ls plenty of times when I was a kid, and in the early 2000s, they get up to the Ps a couple of times.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Taking the Watchmen license and using it to reskin an unrelated production about the current state of superhero movies would have been a goddamn stroke of genius, but I can't think of a single writer or director that could have pulled it off.

Kubrick.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Spielberg

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
In Top Secret! when Kilmer is singing "Spend This Night With Me" he fakes committing suicide by sticking his head in an oven. When his head is in the oven, his voice has an echo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mister Kingdom posted:

In Top Secret! when Kilmer is singing "Spend This Night With Me" he fakes committing suicide by sticking his head in an oven. When his head is in the oven, his voice has an echo.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/subtle

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"It's true, Sir. This man has no dick."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm so Bill Murray in that .gif

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
im the door frame

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm the encore watermark.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

KoRMaK posted:

I'm the encore watermark.

Good, there's something for everyone.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm the bag under that dude's left eye

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Still making my way through the thread, so sorry if it's already been mentioned. In Mallrats, a special security guard is brought in during the filming of the dating game. His name is LaFours, he wears a white straw hat and is said to be "the most feared security guard in the business". His character is a shoutout to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in which Butch and Sundance are pursued by LaFours, the white straw hat wearing "most feared lawman in the west". Always thought that was cool.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

martinlutherbling posted:

Still making my way through the thread, so sorry if it's already been mentioned. In Mallrats, a special security guard is brought in during the filming of the dating game. His name is LaFours, he wears a white straw hat and is said to be "the most feared security guard in the business". His character is a shoutout to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in which Butch and Sundance are pursued by LaFours, the white straw hat wearing "most feared lawman in the west". Always thought that was cool.

This would be perfect as an empty quote.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If you're older than sixteen and still consider Mallrats to be a good movie, you've got some loving problems.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hey I know it's garbage but it was garbage I could relate to and once I got a blowjob while watching it so :shrug:

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
1. I didn't say Mallrats is a great movie, although I do like putting it on once in a while for nostalgia's sake.
2. I'd still argue that it's pretty subtle. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid came out like 30 years before Mallrats, and I'd argue that most of the 14-20 year old target audience of Mallrats hadn't/still haven't seen Butch and Sundance :colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Hey I know it's garbage but it was garbage I could relate to and once I got a blowjob while watching it so :shrug:

Yes, but did you ever do fingercuffs watching Chasing Amy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

syscall girl posted:

Yes, but did you ever do fingercuffs watching Chasing Amy?

No, but I left Clerks 2 with a bad taste in my mouth.