Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Remember when they used to have giant force fields and shifter flies going up a vampire's nose and exploding?

Now they have a rat slipping through grating at the back entrance and Sookie busting through some boards. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I agree this season is dumb, but the reason why Eric and Pam let the Yakuza boss them around is they stand to become billionaires from the Hep-V treament/cure. Not to mention as the vampire partners they are pretty much the de-facto leaders of any infected vampires.

Edit: I think the flashback showing how Eric and Pam had it made until they got busted and ended up in Louisiana was a poorly written attempt at giving them a reason to go along with the get rich and powerful Yakuza scheme.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

D-Pad posted:

I agree this season is dumb, but the reason why Eric and Pam let the Yakuza boss them around is they stand to become billionaires from the Hep-V treament/cure. Not to mention as the vampire partners they are pretty much the de-facto leaders of any infected vampires.

Edit: I think the flashback showing how Eric and Pam had it made until they got busted and ended up in Louisiana was a poorly written attempt at giving them a reason to go along with the get rich and powerful Yakuza scheme.

They're fuckin' Vampires with super strength and speed. And one of them can fly. I can think of hundreds of easier and quicker ways to make money with that other than a ridiculous Big Phrama racketeering scam.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There should be more vampire bank robbers.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Esroc posted:

They're fuckin' Vampires with super strength and speed. And one of them can fly. I can think of hundreds of easier and quicker ways to make money with that other than a ridiculous Big Phrama racketeering scam.

Is there anyone that can benefit more from the concept of compound interest than vampires?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Is there anyone that can benefit more from the concept of compound interest than vampires?

The real reason the Fed has kept interest rates at near zero since the "financial crisis"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

D-Pad posted:

I agree this season is dumb, but the reason why Eric and Pam let the Yakuza boss them around is they stand to become billionaires from the Hep-V treament/cure.
Neither of them has ever struck me as caring about money.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Eric and Ginger = worth the horrible season.

"..are you okay?"

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
I'm convinced that the only way to enjoy the last episode will be to hit "mute" and do the whole thing MST3K-style. Soundtrack: Yakkety Sax.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

D-Pad posted:

That's all fine up until Pam is a hair away from being staked and Eric has to give up Sookie. There is absolutely no reason why he wouldn't do his super-speed-murder thing in that situation.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

smg77 posted:

That sounds horrible but still better than the "Sookie's magic fairy vagina turns Bill back into a human" that people were speculating about earlier.

Or maybe they're going to do both just for a peak horrible ending. Turn Sookie into a vampire, Bill turns human immediately after and then Sookie either dies from her Hep V/turns back to human later because FAE BLOOD or just gets the cure.

It's just circuitous and completely nonsensical enough to be true.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I stopped watching this show after Jason and Eric's sex dream and hooboy from reading this thread that was a good decision.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Junkenstein posted:

That's all fine up until Pam is a hair away from being staked and Eric has to give up Sookie. There is absolutely no reason why he wouldn't do his super-speed-murder thing in that situation.

Or doesn't say poo poo until they drop the stake, then he catches it with his super speed and then kills all of them in a matter of seconds.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They have the resources of the Japanese government! Eric and Pam can't escape.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A lot of fools underestimating Awesome Asian Cowboy ITT :colbert:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

On the other hand, they already kind of did this once with Eric's flashback, where he was also unable to kill a few yakuza (possibly some of the same ones?). Yeah they had the French lady hostage, but you know any other season he would have murdered his way around her somehow.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My friend told me this show peaked when Russell told the humans of America he'd eat all of us after eating our children, then followed it up by sending the report over to Tiffany, the weather reporter.

I can't say I disagree. 7 years, and that's the only good moment of this show I can actually specifically remember.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
he's right...I feel they never topped that moment

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Chris James 2 posted:

My friend told me this show peaked when Russell told the humans of America he'd eat all of us after eating our children, then followed it up by sending the report over to Tiffany, the weather reporter.

I can't say I disagree. 7 years, and that's the only good moment of this show I can actually specifically remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyR7oeJ2e4&t=15s

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

This is a drat near iconic HBO moment right here. Denis O'Hare is one of the most criminally undervalued actors of our generation. He and Carrie Preston (Arlene) were the best talent on True Blood IMHO.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

It would have been cool for this show to end with Russell winning. It would have been unique in TV land for the bad guys to win in the end.

And it would have been awesome to watch

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Duggler posted:

It would have been cool for this show to end with Russell winning. It would have been unique in TV land for the bad guys to win in the end.

And it would have been awesome to watch

There was a show in the 80s whose first season ended with the main character dying after failing to defuse a bomb. When they amazingly got a second season they ended up turning making it a prequel.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Party Plane Jones posted:

There was a show in the 80s whose first season ended with the main character dying after failing to defuse a bomb. When they amazingly got a second season they ended up turning making it a prequel.

That was Sledge Hammer! and it was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGoU7urNTbI

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
Since this is the last season, im wondering if you guys have any recomendations for shows that have the same feel like the early seasons of true blood.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

PaulDirac posted:

Since this is the last season, im wondering if you guys have any recomendations for shows that have the same feel like the early seasons of true blood.

Six Feet Under. Not a vampire in sight but it's very similar in feel to TB (in fact, it's also written by Alan Ball) except that it never loses its awesomeness.

Also Lost Girl & Being Human, which are both Syfy shows and incredibly urban-fantasy-ish.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Banshee aka what Alan Ball did after leaving True Blood. Batshit insanity, nudity, violence, violence, nude violence and violence.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

Six Feet Under. Not a vampire in sight but it's very similar in feel to TB (in fact, it's also written by Alan Ball) except that it never loses its awesomeness.

Also Lost Girl & Being Human, which are both Syfy shows and incredibly urban-fantasy-ish.
Six Feet Under is very different to True Blood. It's much slower and more low-key and the characters are far more believable. Lost Girl is kind of like a less good version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's not terrible, but it's never as crazy as True Blood and although there is an overarching plot to each season, each episode is more self-contained. Also, even though there's no nudity it feels a lot more pandering than True Blood does. I haven't seen the American Being Human, but the original (BBC) version is more like the later True Blood, very melodramatic and taking itself too seriously.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

rejutka posted:

Banshee aka what Alan Ball did after leaving True Blood. Batshit insanity, nudity, violence, violence, nude violence and violence.

I'm not seeing his name anywhere near the credits on iMDb unless I'm missing something. Banshee does look like it could be pretty good though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Banshee is amazing. Just let yourself go and embrace the crazy. And Job may be one of my favorite characters of all time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

King Vidiot posted:

I'm not seeing his name anywhere near the credits on iMDb unless I'm missing something. Banshee does look like it could be pretty good though.

Production credits. He's listed as executive producer.

(I've never seen Banshee, so don't take this as an endorsement)

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
Wasn't Carnivāle supernatural?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Marley Wants More posted:

Wasn't Carnivāle supernatural?

Yeah, and it's great for the most part. Just prepare to be angry when you get into it and it ends abruptly because it was cancelled at the end of the second season.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Six Feet Under is very different to True Blood. It's much slower and more low-key and the characters are far more believable. Lost Girl is kind of like a less good version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's not terrible, but it's never as crazy as True Blood and although there is an overarching plot to each season, each episode is more self-contained. Also, even though there's no nudity it feels a lot more pandering than True Blood does. I haven't seen the American Being Human, but the original (BBC) version is more like the later True Blood, very melodramatic and taking itself too seriously.

It is different in tone- TB is far more frivolous- but the setting and character development are similar enough that you can tell it was written by the same person. I've told a few people who like TB to watch SFU and all of them loved it. Sexuality and death are big themes as they were with True Blood. The fact that the latter is campy and silly doesn't mean they're night-and-day shows.

Also, Lost Girl is about a bisexual succubus so I kind of expect it to be "pandering" in the same way that I'd expect an HBO show about horny vampires to have lots of vampire sex. The US Being Human is two billion times better than the British one, despite what most people say to the contrary. I suspect the people angry about the US version were hardcore fans of the British version where the characters are emo and mopey and unlikable.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
You don't do it justice with just that. The whole scene when he enters and his monologue on camera are what make it amazing. The end is to top it all off.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I haven't seen the American Being Human, but the original (BBC) version is more like the later True Blood, very melodramatic and taking itself too seriously.

I thought it was a pretty well done show and it does have a touch of the dark comedy with the whole "supernatural beings trying to be normal" thing. There's just a few :rolleyes: inducing moments of melodrama, which just reminds me of season 1 TB with all its super overly dramatic Sookie-Bill moments.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Also I have to post this because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7t54G38Fdg

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

That show looks like absolute garbage

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Duggler posted:

It's great. It's like modern Sherlock Holmes but more of a comedy. Kind of like House or The Mentalist, but funnier and with much more likeable protagonists.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Duggler posted:

Having watched that whole show and loving it, I can see that reaction. It's the same reaction I had when I saw the Chevy Chase scene from "Chuck". They're just two shows that are written entirely for the audience already watching them that it's hard to get anyone else to see the good in snippets of later seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The Duggler posted:

It REALLY isn't

• Locked thread