Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leldorion
Jan 26, 2007

Drifter posted:

Waking Mars

Grabbed this, thanks man. I'm also going to go ahead and recommend Binary Domain, it's a goofy popcorn action flick of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

These Loving Eyes posted:

If I want a gothic, demonic action-adventure game, which one should I choose, Darksiders 2 or Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2?

Edit: Snagged Terraria from the post above, thanks!

Lords of Shadow 2 didn't review that well if I remember right so probably Darksiders 2.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Binary Domain is a really fun game, and the horde-mode multiplayer is fun too, if you can get some people together to play it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man I was having fun with Binary Domain and all of its goofy charm but I ran into a really bad QTE when you're trying to jump off an exploding truck and I just could never do it after multiple tries. Really me soured on the game and I stopped playing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

Man I was having fun with Binary Domain and all of its goofy charm but I ran into a really bad QTE when you're trying to jump off an exploding truck and I just could never do it after multiple tries. Really me soured on the game and I stopped playing.

I hope all this recent press and donation surge with the Ice Bucket Challenge can find a cure for you someday soon.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Second, is there a preferred order to completing the character chapters in Resident Evil 6? From what I've heard, Chris's campaign is lovely, but would it be better to get that out of the way immediately or leave it for last to see if the game is interesting enough for a full playthrough?

I realise this is from a few pages back, but I felt the need to comment.

Everybody I've spoken to who's played the game disagrees on which campaigns were the worst/best. You'll find people for each campaign who think it's the best one, and people who think it's the worst one. So as for avoiding Chris', you may well like it the best, who knows. I'd recommend you leave it until you're familiar with the combat, though, as RE6 has an amazing, but somewhat complex combat system that it makes little effort to explain to you, and Chris' campaign is very combat heavy. Also, avoid Ada's campaign until the end! The game's story isn't great, and it does a horrible job of explaining it, but Ada's campaign will spoil all the others, so it's best to leave for last.

Other tips: Learn the combat system before you play! There are several guides online to help explain it, and going into the game knowing how to play will improve your experience tenfold. I tried playing with a friend without doing this, and we gave up because we just weren't enjoying ourselves. Went back much later with another friend and had a great time, because we actually knew what to do.

Try Mercenaries mode! You probably already intended to do this, but the combat's the best part of the game, and it really shines here. I've finished all the campaigns, and Mercenaries mode keeps me coming back again and again.

Play co-op if you can! Not much to say here, I just thought the game was much more fun in co-op.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the game!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Drifter posted:

I hope all this recent press and donation surge with the Ice Bucket Challenge can find a cure for you someday soon.
I've played more than enough games with QTEs and beaten them, its just a really bad QTE.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Greenman Gaming is doing an encore of all of their "Top 50 Games to Play Before You Die" (which is honestly just an arbitrary list of random popular games), plus they added an additional 20% off voucher.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/50-games-1-10/

Z4364W-7MR5WA-N5BCOO

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^ Yeah, haha. I was boggled at their choices in that list for a second until I realized they were just pushing product and not suggesting amazing games.

Accordion Man posted:

I've played more than enough games with QTEs and beaten them, its just a really bad QTE.

I'm just joshin', accordion man. I still wish that games would let you hit a button at the beginning to instawin QTEs and just watch it play out as a cinematic, because you're right, some of them are so goddamn lovely.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Greenman Gaming is doing an encore of all of their "Top 50 Games to Play Before You Die" (which is honestly just an arbitrary list of random popular games), plus they added an additional 20% off voucher.

Z4364W-7MR5WA-N5BCOO
drat, feels good to own about 95% of that list.

No it doesn't.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How much content is there to Invisible Inc. right now? I'm really liking what I see on the videos the Yogscast is doing, but ~Early Access~ and all.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Skyrim and Oblivion for :10bux: collectively is just mind-boggling to me. I mean, I know the deal itself has been done before but holy poo poo is that a lot of video game for the price.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How substantial is the new stuff in Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship edition? I'm guessing that's a new difficulty mode in there but are there enough new levels and content to be worth throwing down more money?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

How substantial is the new stuff in Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship edition? I'm guessing that's a new difficulty mode in there but are there enough new levels and content to be worth throwing down more money?

Did you play the Gold edition or standard? The addition of Intenso mode in combat is imo the most worthwhile addition but I don't know if that was in Gold.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Also, gently caress me running, Crypt of the Necrodancer owns. A little bit harder than I thought it was gonna be, at least while trying to keep the coin multiplier going.

Danny Baranowsky music though :swoon:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ciaphas posted:

Also, gently caress me running, Crypt of the Necrodancer owns. A little bit harder than I thought it was gonna be, at least while trying to keep the coin multiplier going.

Danny Baranowsky music though :swoon:

Its so good, I cant wait for the finished game to be honest.

Speaking of good early access games...

Ziggurat seems to be a really neat little game currently in early access. It's a a fps with "magic" themed weapons and procedural level generation/enemy spawns. Its getting a lot of praise/positive first impressions from a lot of people and the devs are really active. Really close to just pulling the trigger on that one, reminds me a lot of Hexen/Heretic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

Did you play the Gold edition or standard? The addition of Intenso mode in combat is imo the most worthwhile addition but I don't know if that was in Gold.

Gold edition, it had the El Infierno series of challenge rooms only I think. What is Intenso mode?

Actually to be honest if it adds a lot more combat then I'll just throw down the five bucks right now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Gold edition, it had the El Infierno series of challenge rooms only I think. What is Intenso mode?

Actually to be honest if it adds a lot more combat then I'll just throw down the five bucks right now.

Basically you build up a meter and once it's full you can go into a super mode where all your attacks do a poo poo ton of damage, your movement speed increases dramatically, and you ignore shields. I only played STCE but intenso was my favorite part of the combat.

Oh and when you activate it an announcer goes "INTENSOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" which is awesome.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Ziggurat is super fun and worth the price of admission even for an early access. A little more polish and it'll be a great game I think.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

PantsBandit posted:

Basically you build up a meter and once it's full you can go into a super mode where all your attacks do a poo poo ton of damage, your movement speed increases dramatically, and you ignore shields. I only played STCE but intenso was my favorite part of the combat.
So does this make boss fights easier, because I stopped playing a while back because Jaguar Javier was such a ridiculous difficulty spike.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

So does this make boss fights easier, because I stopped playing a while back because Jaguar Javier was such a ridiculous difficulty spike.

Oh yeah, frankly it makes the game a little unbalanced but it's too fun not to use.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

PantsBandit posted:

Oh yeah, frankly it makes the game a little unbalanced but it's too fun not to use.
That's good to hear, I was really enjoying Guacamelee up until that point because I really wanted a good Metroidvania due to both titular series being dead right now, because I love 'em. It was just such an unbalanced spike in difficulty.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Z4364W-7MR5WA-N5BCOO

They've also got 30 indie games on sale which is also just a list of random games (some of them I refuse to believe are popular) but the standout is that you can get Spintires for for 33% off and almost 50% off if you put the 20% voucher in.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

smenj posted:

I realise this is from a few pages back, but I felt the need to comment.

Everybody I've spoken to who's played the game disagrees on which campaigns were the worst/best. You'll find people for each campaign who think it's the best one, and people who think it's the worst one. So as for avoiding Chris', you may well like it the best, who knows. I'd recommend you leave it until you're familiar with the combat, though, as RE6 has an amazing, but somewhat complex combat system that it makes little effort to explain to you, and Chris' campaign is very combat heavy. Also, avoid Ada's campaign until the end! The game's story isn't great, and it does a horrible job of explaining it, but Ada's campaign will spoil all the others, so it's best to leave for last.

Other tips: Learn the combat system before you play! There are several guides online to help explain it, and going into the game knowing how to play will improve your experience tenfold. I tried playing with a friend without doing this, and we gave up because we just weren't enjoying ourselves. Went back much later with another friend and had a great time, because we actually knew what to do.

Try Mercenaries mode! You probably already intended to do this, but the combat's the best part of the game, and it really shines here. I've finished all the campaigns, and Mercenaries mode keeps me coming back again and again.

Play co-op if you can! Not much to say here, I just thought the game was much more fun in co-op.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the game!

Thanks for the extra input! I only played through the tutorial today, since currently all of my friends have either already beaten the game or are waiting for a Steam sale. It sounds kind of strange for them to skip proper combat tutorials, since both Resident Evil 4 and 5 gradually eased you into each game's intricacies.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 23, 2014

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Accordion Man posted:

That's good to hear, I was really enjoying Guacamelee up until that point because I really wanted a good Metroidvania due to both titular series being dead right now, because I love 'em. It was just such an unbalanced spike in difficulty.

I might be misremembering, but Javier's a chump. Basically all of his moves can be avoided by jumping to the side, and he has really predictable timing on his counterattacks. The only thing that can trip you up is he has a bunch of frames of stagger immunity, but as long as you don't overcommit it's no big deal.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Z4364W-7MR5WA-N5BCOO

Awesome. I was upset I missed their earlier Dishonored GOTY sale. Getting it for 6 bucks is great.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks for the extra input! I only played through the tutorial today, since currently all of my friends have either already beaten the game or are waiting for a Steam sale. It sounds kind of strange for them to skip proper combat tutorials, since both Resident Evil 4 and 5 gradually eased you into the games' intricacies.

The big thing that RE6 doesn't really explain in full is the stamina bar. Essentially, you use it to power all your coolest close-combat moves, which do major damage and usually stun. You can even spend a single 'block' of stamina on a special close-range shot that automatically forces an enemy into a stun, so you can hit them with a fancy wrestling move straight away. It also fuels your dodge moves.

Once you're out of stamina, you're at a big disadvantage, and I recall that if you drain it completely, you move really slowly for a while. The less you're doing, the more stamina recharges. Walking is better than running, passive is better than aiming, etc. The absolute fastest way to regenerate stamina is to dive and land prone. Stay on your back for a couple seconds and you'll recharge to full.

The main rhythm of combat should be softening up targets at range, getting in, spending stamina on big moves, finish with guns as required, then back off, recharge and repeat. With two human players it's a ton of fun, because you can really tag-team your way through fights.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
Free things again:

LIMBO: 2HQ75-H7L45-5K64D

Neighbours From Hell Compilation: XLCJX-TGAHZ-LVN3R

Dead Space: HVNCQ-2NB4N-FDIGT

Whiirrr fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 23, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If I felt Darksiders 1 was a little long in the tooth, would I feel the same for Darksiders 2?

$5 bucks is a great price, but I don't want to buy it just to be bored with it in a few hours. Especially when I could be saving up instead for Wolfenstein or Witcher 3.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 23, 2014

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks for the extra input! I only played through the tutorial today, since currently all of my friends have either already beaten the game or are waiting for a Steam sale. It sounds kind of strange for them to skip proper combat tutorials, since both Resident Evil 4 and 5 gradually eased you into the games' intricacies.

Yeah, it's really quite annoying, and contributes quite a bit to the flak the game receives. It has a really expansive melee system with tons of context-sensitive stuff that it just doesn't bother telling you about at all.

For example, there's a melee attack called a coup-de-grace. It's pretty much the most powerful melee attack you can do, and often has a nice range to it, so it's great for knocking down a whole bunch of enemies at once. You also get a time bonus for doing one in Mercenaries (and I think bonus points too?). The extent of advice the game gives you about this is flashing up 'Stun enemies and melee them to perform a coup-de-grace attack!' during a loading screen (which lasts literally two or three seconds on my PC). It neglects to mention that there are two levels of stun on an enemy - level one and two. Level one is a minor stun, done by getting a headshot or something. If you then do another standard melee attack on an enemy that's been stunned once (like by sliding into them), they'll be at stun level two. If you melee attack an enemy from the front while at stun level 2, then you'll do a coup-de-grace.

This isn't at all clear from the instructions given in the game, or even in the instruction book (which you have to find a PDF of online). I've got no idea how they expected you to figure that out from the in-game hints, but there it is. Stuff like this is why I was saying it's a great idea to find a combat tutorial somewhere online.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Drifter posted:

If I felt Darksiders 1 was a little long in the tooth, would I feel the same for Darksiders 2?

$5 bucks is a great price, but I don't want to buy it just to be bored with it in a few hours. Especially when I could be saving up instead for Wolfenstein or Witcher 3.

Yeah, DS2 starts off relatively great, but it became a slog in mid-game. By the end I was pretty disappointed at how combat became a numbers game instead of a test of action game skills.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Is anyone here following Starsector (Starfarer)? It's been in development since 2010 so I'm wondering what's the current state of the game and if it's nearing completion or at least something resembling final version.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

smenj posted:

Stun levels

I looked up a video online just a couple of minutes ago, which delved deep into both these aspects of melee. Thanks again for pointing these things out! Now I only have to convince a friend that roughly 10 euros isn't too much for a silly action-horror co-op game.

Whiirrr posted:

Free things again:

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken: LVEHD-0VD0A-W9AB9

I snatched this one, thanks!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, DS2 starts off relatively great, but it became a slog in mid-game. By the end I was pretty disappointed at how combat became a numbers game instead of a test of action game skills.
God the middle was so loving rule of 3 so hard because they wanted to drill in the fact they wanted to make Darksiders 3, which was dumb as gently caress. The second world main quest is literally "get me three things" and at each thing, you have to do three things for a dude to finish and move onto the next guy who would give you a variation of do three things for me.

Literally the only thing missing was Vigil arranging for three celebrities to die during the week of release or something.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

lordfrikk posted:

Is anyone here following Starsector (Starfarer)? It's been in development since 2010 so I'm wondering what's the current state of the game and if it's nearing completion or at least something resembling final version.

I haven't followed too closely since I bought it a few years ago, but the dev posted something cool a few weeks ago. You might sub the main thread and check out some of the mods.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

I looked up a video online just a couple of minutes ago, which delved deep into both these aspects of melee. Thanks again for pointing these things out! Now I only have to convince a friend that roughly 10 euros isn't too much for a silly action-horror co-op game.

As an extra, here's the thing I used to find out about the combat mechanics. It's pretty handy, though there's one or two things it doesn't mention, such as being able to click the left stick while holding a direction to roll (or you can use left stick + aim + A, as that guide says).

EDIT: Oh, I've just remembered! There's a bunch of options for the camera and controls that were added, and they're well worth a look. Many people recommend zooming the camera all the way out, as it's quite close by default, and of course change the aiming to use a laser sight (which you can also adjust the colour of!). There's also a setting regarding when the game changes the shoulder you're aiming over which I think is worth looking it. I think it makes it so that the game only changes the shoulder you're aiming over if you tell it to, or if it's necessary (like when aiming around a corner), which is helpful.

smenj fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 23, 2014

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Mechanically speaking RE6 is a fantastic third-person shooter/melee brawler hybrid (have there even been any other good examples?). Once you've learned the systems you can get a really nice flow of shooting zombies, sliding into them, and then elbow dropping them, and also everything you do in it has a really satisfying weight (I don't think I ever got bored of throwing myself onto the floor).

It's just a shame that the game that those mechanics are contained within isn't all that great. It's also ruined RE4 for me, because I find the combat it that so dull by comparison.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z4364W-7MR5WA-N5BCOO
They listed Fallout 3, but not New Vegas. Arbitrary is a HUGE understatement.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches, an excellent 6 hour side campaign. I liked the nonlethal options this time.

I'm reminded that I have Thief Deadly Shadows, maybe I'll give it a spin at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

lordfrikk posted:

I played one patch ago. From time to time I'll check the development blog. It seems to be moving along at a leisurely pace. Not having modded the game, I have no insight into how the latest patch improved the depth of the game with mods. If playing strictly Vanilla I doubt it has much staying power.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 23, 2014

• Locked thread