Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

No Gravitas posted:

I'm not sure... but...

Civilization: The Board Game?

No; for one thing, it only took us two and a half hours to play (and it was a learning game, for me at least). For another, the four factions I listed were the only four factions (barring expansions I wouldn't know about). It's also strictly a "lay cards down on your tableau" kind of game, like Race for the Galaxy (so I guess calling it a "board game" was a bit of a misnomer). Lasts five rounds, at the end you add up all your VPs and the point values of the cards you've played to determine the winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No; for one thing, it only took us two and a half hours to play (and it was a learning game, for me at least). For another, the four factions I listed were the only four factions (barring expansions I wouldn't know about). It's also strictly a "lay cards down on your tableau" kind of game, like Race for the Galaxy (so I guess calling it a "board game" was a bit of a misnomer). Lasts five rounds, at the end you add up all your VPs and the point values of the cards you've played to determine the winner.

You're more likely to find an answer if you ask this in the general boardgames thread in trad games.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Other than length, that sounds like it could be 7 Wonders, but that game is usually shorter than 2 and a half hours.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That doesn't sound like 7 Wonders to me at all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I googled for "card game japan egypt rome barbarian" and found it: it's Imperial Settlers. Should've known Google would be able to figure that one out.

PowerStreak
Jun 27, 2005

The day the snow turned to rain?
There was an Acorn Archimedes educational game that I used to play in primary school which seems lost to time, it was a text interface and you were talking to and directing a child around in a WW2-era English town, it did displays some pictures on one side of the screen as you played.

It was part of a series of games that played the same. I can only remember a victorian-era one and another set on Columbus' ship.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

PowerStreak posted:

There was an Acorn Archimedes educational game that I used to play in primary school which seems lost to time, it was a text interface and you were talking to and directing a child around in a WW2-era English town, it did displays some pictures on one side of the screen as you played.

It was part of a series of games that played the same. I can only remember a victorian-era one and another set on Columbus' ship.

Timetraveller: Britain Since The 1930s, maybe? There was also a Timetraveller: The Victorians. I have no idea how they play though or what they look like.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Pneub posted:

I swear I've seen the exact pose from that poster on the right on a title screen or cover art or something (the other one looks familiar to). Any ideas?

e: As in, they traced it from something.

When I saw this I thought, maybe Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Countdown-to-doomsday-cover.jpg

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pneub posted:

I swear I've seen the exact pose from that poster on the right on a title screen or cover art or something (the other one looks familiar to). Any ideas?

The clothes look like Winback or Metal Gear Solid, the overall look makes me think of Rolling Thunder.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

There's a Myst clone called Qing but it takes place in China with you exploring tombs and such. The beginning involves a harbor with lots of yellow though.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
A browser game where you had a map of things that happen during your lifetime and you could choose multiple choices from each of them and you'd grow up from a baby to an old person and then die. As a baby, a furry man with bad breath walks up to you and licks your face (actually a dog) and when you're a preteen you can choose to go to school wearing a dog collar and answer to the name 'Fido Rex'. There were a lot of other important dog-related life events too.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

circ dick soleil posted:

A browser game where you had a map of things that happen during your lifetime and you could choose multiple choices from each of them and you'd grow up from a baby to an old person and then die. As a baby, a furry man with bad breath walks up to you and licks your face (actually a dog) and when you're a preteen you can choose to go to school wearing a dog collar and answer to the name 'Fido Rex'. There were a lot of other important dog-related life events too.

Alter Ego, which is an old, awesome game.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

circ dick soleil posted:

As duckfarts said, it's Alter ego.

http://www.playalterego.com/alterego

I'm not sure if there's another version around but this the one I know.

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

Pneub posted:

The first thing that came to mind was Impossible Mission 2, but I agree with duckfarts that it looks more like Rolling Thunder 2. But I couldn't find a matching piece of art from either.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Puweyxil posted:

The first thing that came to mind was Impossible Mission 2, but I agree with duckfarts that it looks more like Rolling Thunder 2. But I couldn't find a matching piece of art from either.

:laffo: I seriously cannot get over that cover for Impossible Mission 2, it's the worst ever. Explosions! Guns! Women! *game is about an unarmed dude somersaulting through a tower and searching furniture for keys while dodging robots*

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Genpei Turtle posted:

:laffo: I seriously cannot get over that cover for Impossible Mission 2, it's the worst ever. Explosions! Guns! Women! *game is about an unarmed dude somersaulting through a tower and searching furniture for keys while dodging robots*

I know, right? I was so confused when I played IM2. Even worse, the CGA version makes it to where you can't tell what is what!

PowerStreak
Jun 27, 2005

The day the snow turned to rain?

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Timetraveller: Britain Since The 1930s, maybe? There was also a Timetraveller: The Victorians. I have no idea how they play though or what they look like.

That sounds right, thanks! I'll have to keep on my quest for them.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Serperoth posted:

As duckfarts said, it's Alter ego.

http://www.playalterego.com/alterego

I'm not sure if there's another version around but this the one I know.

I just tried that. I got killed by a child molester. :smith:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

juliuspringle posted:

drat common death too, I died that way too the one time I tried it.

Cannot say I like the game though.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, I'm looking for a freeware game, I think it might have been goon-made?

It was a pretty obvious send-up to the Suikoden games, where you could recruit a lot of characters and had RPG battles. The art style was a lot more on the "realistic" end than the anime-ish Suikodens, though. I think it started with you as some kind of prince or noble or something who gets framed as a traitor while knocked out and waking up in some lovely village in the middle of nowhere? I remember having it on my old laptop, getting kinda into it, and then having that computer die on me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LordHippoman posted:

So, I'm looking for a freeware game, I think it might have been goon-made?

It was a pretty obvious send-up to the Suikoden games, where you could recruit a lot of characters and had RPG battles. The art style was a lot more on the "realistic" end than the anime-ish Suikodens, though. I think it started with you as some kind of prince or noble or something who gets framed as a traitor while knocked out and waking up in some lovely village in the middle of nowhere? I remember having it on my old laptop, getting kinda into it, and then having that computer die on me.
This is Exit Fate, and yeah it's goon-made though I forget who the goon is. He made another more traditional RPG too called Last Scenario that was pretty decent too.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

Just tried it, same result. I just wanted to be helpful!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mondian posted:

Just tried it, same result. I just wanted to be helpful!

That's one of the most bullshit choices in that game--help, don't help, run, you can get killed no matter what you do there.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Genpei Turtle posted:

Her bodysuit looks suspiciously coloured over because the original artist's vision was a little too raunchy, too. The guy is pretty much David Hasslehoff though, so you can't really fault the artist.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Long shot because my memory's a little hazy but what the heck.

I remember playing a demo for a PC fps, probably pre 2000. The setting was dark, outdoors by some large buildings. For some reason I want to say it had a Russian theme.

There weren't any enemies so I didn't know what I was supposed to do. In one part there was a kind of racetrack with cars going around in a loop. You could drive one of the cars. Also there was a plane/helicopter vehicle you could use to fly around.

I never remembered what that game was called and would be interested to see if it became anything. Hopefully these details sound familiar to someone but it could just be a fever dream.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Tried this a few years back but with no luck.

Sidescroller, beat em up. C64. Seemed to be a one-opponent-at-a-time precursor to double dragon. You start out in a jungle, and as far as i remember, you enter a building with more baddies shortly after. Gloomy as hell music. Seem to remember one of them having a cap, that might or might not be green. Early era, most likely.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

nexus6 posted:

Long shot because my memory's a little hazy but what the heck.

I remember playing a demo for a PC fps, probably pre 2000. The setting was dark, outdoors by some large buildings. For some reason I want to say it had a Russian theme.

There weren't any enemies so I didn't know what I was supposed to do. In one part there was a kind of racetrack with cars going around in a loop. You could drive one of the cars. Also there was a plane/helicopter vehicle you could use to fly around.

I never remembered what that game was called and would be interested to see if it became anything. Hopefully these details sound familiar to someone but it could just be a fever dream.

Lego Island: Clear Sky

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Tried this a few years back but with no luck.

Sidescroller, beat em up. C64. Seemed to be a one-opponent-at-a-time precursor to double dragon. You start out in a jungle, and as far as i remember, you enter a building with more baddies shortly after. Gloomy as hell music. Seem to remember one of them having a cap, that might or might not be green. Early era, most likely.

This sounds like Fist II, which was awesome for its time.

http://www.giantbomb.com/fist-ii-the-legend-continues/3030-20199/

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
This might be a bit obscure, but the game I'm thinking of was Japanese only and on the NES. It was a top down action RPG like the legend of Zelda but instead of one continuous world, there were distinct dungeons or levels and you could choose which order you did them in. I remember there being an underground cave dungeon and an abandoned town and the graphics were pretty awesome for its time. Sorry this is really vague.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ghost Head posted:

This might be a bit obscure, but the game I'm thinking of was Japanese only and on the NES. It was a top down action RPG like the legend of Zelda but instead of one continuous world, there were distinct dungeons or levels and you could choose which order you did them in. I remember there being an underground cave dungeon and an abandoned town and the graphics were pretty awesome for its time. Sorry this is really vague.

Sounds like Grand Master.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

This sounds like Fist II, which was awesome for its time.

http://www.giantbomb.com/fist-ii-the-legend-continues/3030-20199/

YESS, you marvellous bastard!

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

al-azad posted:

Sounds like Grand Master.

holy poo poo you got it!

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I've got several. I guarantee most of them are not actually quality games, so this should make it all the more challenging.

• For Sega Genesis: You played as a leopard thing escaping from a circus. There was an elephant who would move around automatically, which you'd need to get through each level safely without getting caged.
  • For PC: Edutainment game. You explore the lab of a big-eared pre-rendered nerd named Howard, and could play games such as building a plane/car, creating conveyor belt things that move around mice, and manage power supply to something.
  • For PC: Young edutainment game. You explore a house owned by a girl, ape, and hyperactive bird thing. Includes jigsaw puzzles (that tell corny jokes upon completion), geometry puzzles, and a game where you cut, paste, and saw colored bars to put them together into time signatures to make MIDIs play.
  • For PC: A kids game where you direct a film noir. You go through several scenes, and give the different characters different actions and lines, alternating between 3 themes (straight noir, comedy, and halloween). Upon getting to the final scene, the ending is procedurally generated without any customization options.
  • For PC/Mac?: I saw someone play this over the shoulder. Isometric strategy game where little guys run around and get violently killed by things. Very brown/grey. At least one weapon was some sort of tesla coil/lightning strike thing.
  • For PC/Mac: Really silly 'puzzle' game where you take various random things and connect them with wires to make a working machine. Includes some practical things like logic switches, batteries, and so on, and some other weird final result things including a heart that switches the device on based on beats (and can be adjusted to beat as fast as a gerbil's heart), a very slowly swinging pendulum that does nothing, and a big question mark box that plays a really bad electric guitar riff when powered.
  • For Mac: I don't know why San Diego school computers would have this, but I'm not complaining. It's an FPS where you play as a Raptor with a cannon on their back and kill other dinosaurs with your guns, which usually shoot orange balls or something. Mid-late 90s 3D graphics.
  • PS2: You play as what basically can be summed up as Medieval Lara Croft. Fight with a sword, do backflips, and very slowly cast spells with awkward analog stick movements. You also have a talking, flying red dragon.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Bluhman posted:

[*]PS2: You play as what basically can be summed up as Medieval Lara Croft. Fight with a sword, do backflips, and very slowly cast spells with awkward analog stick movements. You also have a talking, flying red dragon.
[/list]

That would be Drakan - Order of the Flame. Was on the PC, too.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Bluhman posted:

[*]For Sega Genesis: You played as a leopard thing escaping from a circus. There was an elephant who would move around automatically, which you'd need to get through each level safely without getting caged.

This is Marsupilami.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bluhman posted:

[*]For Mac: I don't know why San Diego school computers would have this, but I'm not complaining. It's an FPS where you play as a Raptor with a cannon on their back and kill other dinosaurs with your guns, which usually shoot orange balls or something. Mid-late 90s 3D graphics.

Sounds like Nanosaur to me; it shipped on the first-gen iMacs, which is probably why it was on school systems. Though that was a third-person game, not first-person.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
There's a PC game I vaguely remember as a kid. You were working in I think a garage to put stuff together with tools. I think three of the things were a bird house, a derby car, and a computer?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Bluhman posted:

I've got several. I guarantee most of them are not actually quality games, so this should make it all the more challenging.

• For PC: Edutainment game. You explore the lab of a big-eared pre-rendered nerd named Howard, and could play games such as building a plane/car, creating conveyor belt things that move around mice, and manage power supply to something.
  • For PC: Young edutainment game. You explore a house owned by a girl, ape, and hyperactive bird thing. Includes jigsaw puzzles (that tell corny jokes upon completion), geometry puzzles, and a game where you cut, paste, and saw colored bars to put them together into time signatures to make MIDIs play.
  • For PC/Mac?: I saw someone play this over the shoulder. Isometric strategy game where little guys run around and get violently killed by things. Very brown/grey. At least one weapon was some sort of tesla coil/lightning strike thing.
  • For PC/Mac: Really silly 'puzzle' game where you take various random things and connect them with wires to make a working machine. Includes some practical things like logic switches, batteries, and so on, and some other weird final result things including a heart that switches the device on based on beats (and can be adjusted to beat as fast as a gerbil's heart), a very slowly swinging pendulum that does nothing, and a big question mark box that plays a really bad electric guitar riff when powered.
  • For Mac: I don't know why San Diego school computers would have this, but I'm not complaining. It's an FPS where you play as a Raptor with a cannon on their back and kill other dinosaurs with your guns, which usually shoot orange balls or something. Mid-late 90s 3D graphics.
  • invention studio
  • math workshop
  • probably Gruntz
  • widgit workshop
  • 3d dinosaur adventure

My parents bought me edutainment games pretty much exclusively

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Nice, thanks!

Rita Repulsa posted:

• invention studio
  • math workshop
  • probably Gruntz
  • widgit workshop
  • 3d dinosaur adventure

My parents bought me edutainment games pretty much exclusively

Can definitely say that my parents were very similar.

Gruntz wasn't it. The game had a distinctly realistic look to it.

THE BAR posted:

That would be Drakan - Order of the Flame. Was on the PC, too.
This one was KILLING me, because I kept seeing all these other games with similar names (Drakkhen, Drakkengard, etc) and was wondering why none of them were this game.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Bluhman posted:

This one was KILLING me, because I kept seeing all these other games with similar names (Drakkhen, Drakkengard, etc) and was wondering why none of them were this game.

I keep forgetting its name for the very same reason!