Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Someone no poo poo recommended scented candles a few pages back to make the place more comfortable. I think leaving to work somewhere else is a good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yeah, put on music, open the window if you can, maybe get some cheap flowers to put out.

That said extended stay/long term places own so much more than normal hotels. I've stayed 3 weeks in hotels that are a bed and a desk crammed together with enough space for the room door to open.

Definitely get out sometimes though, you can get cabin fever no matter how big the place is.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Get your own toilet paper rather than use the sandpaper the hotel probably supplies.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Haha, we actually bought a package of Charmin mega rolls when we went grocery shopping. One ply is horrific and they only gave us one extra roll for a whole week and that just won't cut it. :( We also bought an Air Wick with lavender scented oil (my husband suggested candles but I think it's too much of a fire hazard in a small space) and a Glade air freshener spray thing. And, on top of those things we picked up some Lysol wipes and paper towels to make cleaning up after ourselves when we cook a little bit easier.

I made a mental list of nearby places with wifi so that I can go work somewhere else. There are a couple different public libraries, three different coffee shops, a bookstore, etc. We each have a car, so that helps. Today we went to the local flea market to walk around just to get out of here.

Oh! And we also have our own bath towels and wash cloths. They provide them but it's nice to have our own, frankly. I'd recommend this for any stays of longer than a week.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Haha, we actually bought a package of Charmin mega rolls when we went grocery shopping. One ply is horrific and they only gave us one extra roll for a whole week and that just won't cut it. :( We also bought an Air Wick with lavender scented oil (my husband suggested candles but I think it's too much of a fire hazard in a small space) and a Glade air freshener spray thing. And, on top of those things we picked up some Lysol wipes and paper towels to make cleaning up after ourselves when we cook a little bit easier.

I made a mental list of nearby places with wifi so that I can go work somewhere else. There are a couple different public libraries, three different coffee shops, a bookstore, etc. We each have a car, so that helps. Today we went to the local flea market to walk around just to get out of here.

Oh! And we also have our own bath towels and wash cloths. They provide them but it's nice to have our own, frankly. I'd recommend this for any stays of longer than a week.

Might I ask how many bags you checked in

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Xguard86 posted:

Someone no poo poo recommended scented candles a few pages back to make the place more comfortable. I think leaving to work somewhere else is a good call.

I carry a little bottle of eucalyptus oil. I put it on a washcloth and stuff it into the AC. You wanna fight about it?

Coming back from MUC today took 50 mins to get my bag at SEA. As if immigration and rechecking the fucker didn't suck enough at IAD.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

air- posted:

Speaking about airline food/menus, I stumbled upon this the other day. Not only is this guy entitled, it gets full on creepy :staredog:

http://sfo777.com/report/around-world-72-hours

It's an entertaining read to see the absurd opulence of the lounges in DOH though.

yes I'll have white and red wine and can you make me a gin and tonic as well? Set the water in the background *takes picture of dinner from 6 different angles*

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Lonely Wizard posted:

Might I ask how many bags you checked in

We have a lot of stuff. We had to move out of our house because our landlord gave us 30 days notice. Around the same time my husband got his med board results back from the Army so he will be out next month so it made zero sense to sign a new lease somewhere (even though we could break it at no penalty because my husband has orders out). So we put the majority of our stuff in a storage unit and went to go live with our friends for a month but that fell through--it is hard to live with another couple. When we went to their place we brought enough clothes for like ~2 weeks for each of us plus our own linens so we wouldn't impose on using theirs. We also have two laptops, an iMac, and an XBox One (all of which can't go in our storage unit because it's not climate controlled) and all of my husband's issued Army gear that he is turning in this week. So all that stuff came with us over to the hotel.

I'm selling one of the laptops, and the iMac and XBox one will go with the movers once they come but not before then. It's rather claustrophobic in here...but it will get better after the Army gear is turned in which is the majority of the problem.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can we leave the e/n to...anywhere else but this thread?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Hip Hoptimus Prime a BFC super star on the verge of financial peril? Or am I mistaken?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

We have a lot of stuff. We had to move out of our house because our landlord gave us 30 days notice. Around the same time my husband got his med board results back from the Army so he will be out next month so it made zero sense to sign a new lease somewhere (even though we could break it at no penalty because my husband has orders out). So we put the majority of our stuff in a storage unit and went to go live with our friends for a month but that fell through--it is hard to live with another couple. When we went to their place we brought enough clothes for like ~2 weeks for each of us plus our own linens so we wouldn't impose on using theirs. We also have two laptops, an iMac, and an XBox One (all of which can't go in our storage unit because it's not climate controlled) and all of my husband's issued Army gear that he is turning in this week. So all that stuff came with us over to the hotel.

I'm selling one of the laptops, and the iMac and XBox one will go with the movers once they come but not before then. It's rather claustrophobic in here...but it will get better after the Army gear is turned in which is the majority of the problem.

Do you plan to continue buying charmin or will you switch brands after he's deployed? Or haven't you thought that far out?

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Aristotle Animes posted:

Do you plan to continue buying charmin or will you switch brands after he's deployed? Or haven't you thought that far out?

Replying to your question by quoting myself:

We have a lot of stuff. We had to move out of our house because our landlord gave us 30 days notice. Around the same time my husband got his med board results back from the Army so he will be out next month so it made zero sense to sign a new lease somewhere (even though we could break it at no penalty because my husband has orders out).

(in other words, he is pretty much done with the Army, we are skipping town once he is cleared, no chance of deploying! yay!)

caberham posted:

Wasn't Hip Hoptimus Prime a BFC super star on the verge of financial peril? Or am I mistaken?

In like 2009 I had a thread in here. However, I wasn't like Zaurg or even Cornholio (pre-Cornholio success). I was also single back then. :)

I am happy to say me and my husband are leaving his Army chapter behind with nearly 5 figures in savings, are like 99% debt free, and I now have a portable job so that we can afford to travel for a bit. Reading BFC has kept me pretty motivated as far as all that is concerned.

I will now stop with all the EN stuff, sorry for derailing.

Hip Hoptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 25, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

I am happy to say me and my husband are leaving his Army chapter behind with nearly 5 figures in savings, are like 99% debt free, and I now have a portable job so that we can afford to travel for a bit. Reading BFC has kept me pretty motivated as far as all that is concerned.

I will now stop with all the EN stuff, sorry for derailing.

But all that financial progress still didn't fix your terrible needy personality and posting :henget:

I kid, I kid, glad to hear you are doing better.

We have people who are constantly on the move and barely have time for family, kids, or even staying home because work caused them to spend the weekend in some random town. It sounds glamorous but it can be incredibly lonely and even hard to maintain a relationship with a significant other.

Bitching about being "stuck" in an extended hotel rent free for 3 weeks with your husband and being proud of your less than 10,000 dollars in saving is not the greatest idea in this thread.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Back on topic... The SW companion pass is probably the best FF travel perk if you do domestic travel. Snagged a weekend in Vegas from Denver for two. $158. Pretty badass

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
A United Flight got diverted because some rear end in a top hat was using "Knee Defender" and refused to stop after being asked by a flight attendant

Regrettably he wasn't arrested.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
No doubt the guy's an rear end in a top hat but reclining your seat at 4pm also makes you an rear end in a top hat.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pvt Dancer posted:

No doubt the guy's an rear end in a top hat but reclining your seat at 4pm also makes you an rear end in a top hat.

There are a million valid reasons to be reclining a seat at 4PM, including a simple "because it is an option". There are zero valid reasons to use something like Knee Defender, ever. If he cared that much he could have gotten an exit row or bulkhead seat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
No, gently caress you if you recline your seat if the cabin lights aren't off.

edit: big gently caress you to KneeDefender guy too

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Thoguh posted:

There are a million valid reasons to be reclining a seat at 4PM, including a simple "because it is an option". There are zero valid reasons to use something like Knee Defender, ever. If he cared that much he could have gotten an exit row or bulkhead seat.

That's complete bullshit because there's not an unlimited number of bulkhead/exit row seats. That said he should do what the flight attendant says. They're both assholes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

That's complete bullshit because there's not an unlimited number of bulkhead/exit row seats. That said he should do what the flight attendant says. They're both assholes.

On a given flight, yeah. But if having a non-reclining seat in front of him was that important he certainly could have found a routing where that was available.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its the airline's fault for making the space so small to be honest. I can't use a laptop anyway because my hands go past the screen when my elbows are pressed against the seat, whether the seat in front is reclined or not.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Reclining five years ago? Fine, whatever. Now? You're an rear end in a top hat. I can barely open a 12" laptop in coach when it's not reclined. If you do recline, I stare at a seat rest 4" from my nose.

On a United flight the other day I figured out that, even not reclined, you could not make a vertical line from the floor to the ceiling without crossing a seat bottom or back: they actually overlap.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ynglaur posted:

If you do recline, I stare at a seat rest 4" from my nose.

Checking Seatguru, A domestic United 757 in coach has 31 inch pitch, and 5 inches of recline. Even if you assume 6 inches for seatback depth, a fully reclined seat still means 20 inches of clearance. Is your head 16 inches thick? That's a pretty big head, you should probably get that checked out.

Ynglaur posted:

On a United flight the other day I figured out that, even not reclined, you could not make a vertical line from the floor to the ceiling without crossing a seat bottom or back: they actually overlap.

So you are saying the distance from the front of the seat to the back of the seat in front of it is less than five inches? How do people even begin to squeeze into five inches of space? And given the 31 inch pitch, why would they have 26+ inch long seats?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 26, 2014

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'll stick to passive aggressively shoving my knees into your back, thanks.

The guy is definitely the one most in the wrong here seeing as

1. United has a policy against it
2. He was already in an extended legroom portion of the cabin
3. Flight attendant asked him to remove it.

Reclining your seat is an rear end in a top hat move in general though

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

oxsnard posted:

Reclining your seat is an rear end in a top hat move in general though

I'd like to amend that to say that reclining your seat with no regard or checking with the person behind you is an rear end in a top hat move. If they have no issue with it, then enjoy.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its so weird that seat reclining is like the go to internet argument of flying. There are so many more dick moves than that.

Lets see:
1. Opening the window shade every 15 minutes over 8 hours during simulated night so you can check that the ocean is there
2. Getting pissy about the guy in front of you reclining his seat during a 13 hour trans oceanic flight
3. Being loud and obnoxious during a red eye
4. Reclining into the other guy for a 2 hour short haul

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Thoguh posted:

Checking Seatguru, A domestic United 757 in coach has 31 inch pitch, and 5 inches of recline. Even if you assume 6 inches for seatback depth, a fully reclined seat still means 20 inches of clearance. Is your head 16 inches thick? That's a pretty big head, you should probably get that checked out.

So you are saying the distance from the front of the seat to the back of the seat in front of it is less than five inches? How do people even begin to squeeze into five inches of space? And given the 31 inch pitch, why would they have 26+ inch long seats?

Remember to add the back depth to the seat length, front to back. The answer is "You can't stand up, even I'd you had the headroom." You shimmy into and out of the seat with your feet and shoulders not aligned: i.e. you're tilted.

I'll admit I don't have a 16" head, but 10" front to back is typical. If you really want, I'll cede that, assuming the back of my head is flush with the headrest, I have a whole 10" in front of my face.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Agree. Also, if the person in front of me reclines their seat, I'm going to recline mine.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

ufsteph posted:

Agree. Also, if the person in front of me reclines their seat, I'm going to recline mine.

Had a last minute flight change and flew in 30F of a US Air 767 last week. Only an hour and a half long flight, but the douche in front of me reclined his seat immediately and never put it up for take off/landing. Only 1.5 hour flight but that sucked.

On the plus side I got to listen to the FAs cackle in the galley the entire flight.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I suspect all the airlines will be like spirit and just take reclining away from everyone with poo poo like this happening.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Or we can all cram into fixed seats like most Low Cost Carrier flights

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

elbows up
side to side
el-elbows up-up
side to side
recline like a cholo

Also, before 4pm? poo poo, I take the zzz's where and when I can. 4pm don't mean poo poo to me.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Remember to add the back depth to the seat length, front to back. The answer is "You can't stand up, even I'd you had the headroom." You shimmy into and out of the seat with your feet and shoulders not aligned: i.e. you're tilted.

I'll admit I don't have a 16" head, but 10" front to back is typical. If you really want, I'll cede that, assuming the back of my head is flush with the headrest, I have a whole 10" in front of my face.
Do you not fly enough to get E+ or do you just book to close in to get it with regularity?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I wonder why there are 19 new replies... oh I like this one.

gently caress the air in front of your face I'm 6'4" and uncomfortable as gently caress sitting upright. Doesn't bother me when others do it either, its not like you can actually use a laptop in coach these days reclined or not.

I don't even think this is that big of a deal. Hundreds of flights in I have never witnessed someone asking permission to recline their seat. The concept seems odd and I'm a pretty nice dude in general. I guess because I'm going to do it anyways I don't see the point. Flying turns me into an animal I guess. At least I can look at FlyerTalk and realize I'm at least somewhat sane.

Nice to know that the Knee Defender isn't allowed on US airlines I'll surely use that when asking for a seat change if someone ever tries to use that on me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think people should ask because in the event that I am working on my laptop (most of the time) I would rather not replace yet another screen bezel because you decided to slam your seat back as quickly as possible.

Edit: I also don't know why y'all are carrying 17" laptops or whatever. I can use my 12" laptop in any coach seat on earth.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I use my 14.whatever laptop just fine in coach with the seat reclined. Tho, i having had a E- ride in about a year so I don't remember if that makes a diff.

I also hate people that slam the seat back down. Also people that constantly push back on it on UA's mushy half busted 752 seats. Get up and stretch for gently caress sake. Oh right, youre fat, that would require you to expend calories.

e: I guess that's not entirely true. I get stuffed into E- seats on barbie regional jets all the time and I use my laptop just fine.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 27, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think people should ask because in the event that I am working on my laptop (most of the time) I would rather not replace yet another screen bezel because you decided to slam your seat back as quickly as possible.

Edit: I also don't know why y'all are carrying 17" laptops or whatever. I can use my 12" laptop in any coach seat on earth.

I actually got a 13" laptop from work just to travel with and it was still cramped as poo poo, I had to tent my wrists just to type and gently caress using a trackpad. Then your neck gets sore from try to see the screen because its right up on you.

Its like an ergo nightmare.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Set it in your lap, not on the table? I often do this. Not good on the wrists but the duration has never bothered me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The trackpad is a pain in the rear end, so I just use the stupid little eraser nubbin thing. Works way better and your hand is at a more natural angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The trackpad is a pain in the rear end, so I just use the stupid little eraser nubbin thing. Works way better and your hand is at a more natural angle.

No eraser nubbin thing :( Wouldn't make a difference probably. From the base of my hand to the tip I can cover the track pad, the whole keyboard from space to f-keys, and quite a bit more on a 16" laptop. I think they might be a little larger than average :/