Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

HD DAD posted:

You talking about the constant ADR tags? Makes me wonder if they actually filmed some of those lines in the first place.

No, the ones like in the beginning of the episode when it's "I'm the Doctor, and I consent to this horseshit" or whatever, when it's a phoned-in voiceover from someone who clearly isn't the person doing the final VO. It's obviously a marker for later voiceover but it's just too funny to hear some completely random guy sighing out the lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Definitely the best of the four leaked episodes so far, but no surprise given that this was the only decent one of the five leaked scripts.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The_Doctor posted:

"Doctor, eh? Well, you're a little over-qualified for the role. But if you leave your name and particulars..." 51 years later and he finally gets the job! :D

I'm hoping that it's Jamie, somehow. Frazier Hines has been tweeting about something Who-related recently.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Chairman Capone posted:

Definitely the best of the four leaked episodes so far, but no surprise given that this was the only decent one of the five leaked scripts.

I really dug this episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So far this season, we've had the Doctor wearing a flesh mask, a guy getting melted into his proteins, and some dude getting his head collapsed. They've stepped up the body horror this year.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mokinokaro posted:

I also have a soft spot for Gridlock. I'm not exactly sure why as it's very peak RTD yet for some reason in that episode all the elements fit together nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwN7dVgzh64

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1OYN5-Mgrg you mean

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Binged everything from The Snowmen up to Time of the Doctor. Clara is a non-character, but most of the pieces of the second half of the season are great. They're just not put together very well. An eight episode stretch where The Doctor has two versions of the same companion from two different times and slowly pieces together that she's actually been there plenty of times before but gone unnoticed would have been interesting. Instead, I just stopped caring what Clara's deal was. A rundown theme park overtaken by bug-sized Cybermen sounds cool, as does an Ice Warrior trapped on a submarine, and plenty of the other episodes. It's a shame it all went sideways.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
OK, the doctor insults Clara's appearance in every episode so far. That's kind of cruel and creepy, Moff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Such a bossy control freak (like all women) no doubt deserves it!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I also have a soft spot for Gridlock. I'm not exactly sure why as it's very peak RTD yet for some reason in that episode all the elements fit together nicely.

This is an essay I'm fond of on Gridlock, although it does overreach in places. I think the essay is right to say that the episode is about shared humanity and community in a way not much TV is, and right to say that this is an episode which is about something meaningful in a way depressingly few of them actually are. I think there's a strong case to be made that Gridlock is the best Doctor Who episode of all, and wouldn't really call it peak-RTD: it celebrates humanity where many of his episodes despair in it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xibanya posted:

OK, the doctor insults Clara's appearance in every episode so far. That's kind of cruel and creepy, Moff.

I want to say that it's meant to be funny because Clara is so obviously beautiful and the joke is that the Doctor is oblivious to that, which might even be part of the reason Clara likes travelling with him........ but that subscribes to the "Doctor/Timelords are LOOMS" way of thinking which is already in contradiction of the whole "boyfriend" line.

Like the exact same joke works with Strax because Strax is a freaky space potato with Aspergers, but even then Strax takes it to a genderless absurdist place while the Doctor just seems to be like a jealous teenager trying on a different kind-of "You're ugly (I like you)" tactic.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

mind the walrus posted:

the Doctor just seems to be like a jealous teenager trying on a different kind-of "You're ugly (I like you)" tactic.

Clara needs to get pigtails so the Doctor can tug on them and dip them in ink wells when she's paying attention to the teacher.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

mind the walrus posted:

I want to say that it's meant to be funny because Clara is so obviously beautiful and the joke is that the Doctor is oblivious to that, which might even be part of the reason Clara likes travelling with him........ but that subscribes to the "Doctor/Timelords are LOOMS" way of thinking which is already in contradiction of the whole "boyfriend" line.

Not to get all e/n on everyone but a few years ago I was in an abusive relationship where such comments were commonplace. They are meant to control - to destroy the self esteem of the target so they wouldn't think of leaving. It kind of hits close to home. I know that's not the show's intention, but it's bringing those days right back to me. Oh my God did I turn into tumblr? :smith:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Xibanya posted:

Oh my God did I turn into tumblr? :smith:

Yeah, and its really weird and creepy (PLEASE DON'T GO I LOVE YOU SO MUCH :qq:)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's almost like the show is written by a misogynist.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like that this thread finally got to the point where you can say that without being dogpiled on by idiots.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

I like that this thread finally got to the point where you can say that without being dogpiled on by idiots.

I still wouldn't try it in the normal one.

Fully expecting everyone to love this first episode by the way. I mean, I'll be happy for them, but good God.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I may just copy paste my review, but I AM going to wait about doing that until I see the real final product.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If Michelle Gomez is The Rani, I'm going to weep with joy.

Although it is a bit trite that every time a female character appears, "I hope she's The Rani" is announced.

But really I hope she's The Rani.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Well, despite people saying not to expect a Malcolm Tucker Doctor, that's exactly what I think he channelled, and it was fantastic.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I will just cross post what I said in the other DW thread
'Well, that was a huge steaming pile of loving poo poo. Very disappointed.'

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

God, I hope they close the thread on that post.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The cgi was pretty abysmal I'll give you that. Not that Doctor Who exactly excels at that but it felt particularly bad this time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Looke posted:

The cgi was pretty abysmal I'll give you that. Not that Doctor Who exactly excels at that but it felt particularly bad this time.

The show continues to have massive budget problems. Also the new opening is terrible.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

PriorMarcus posted:

The show continues to have massive budget problems. Also the new opening is terrible.

This is the first Doctor Who opening I have liked at first sight.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah you can tell. Also the opening was abysmal, I absolutely hate it, the theme isn't that bad, but they should have stuck with the spacey-time vortex rather than spinning clocks.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

This is the first Doctor Who opening I have liked at first sight.

It's too cliche for me. Gears and clocks and planets. I mean, I guess it's the biggest change to the openings ever, but I just think it's too pat for Doctor Who. I'm glad you like it though.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

So, I found out that episode 4 was leaked today. Should I watch that first, or Deep Breath with color and no Dark Knight Music?

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
4 first. Then you can go get 5 too :)

Deep Breath does not improve no matter how you polish it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
For all the bitching that was honestly the best post-regen episode of the revival I've ever seen.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

Crossposting from the non-spoiler thread:

All set up to PVR this episode and the drat satellite cuts out halfway through. I still kind of have the first episode, but I don't feel like watching the second half online somewhere then going back to catch up. Is there anywhere online that will be hosting the first two episodes after they've finished airing?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Szmitten posted:

For all the bitching that was honestly the best post-regen episode of the revival I've ever seen.

It's very easily the worst of the three.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Laradus posted:

4 first. Then you can go get 5 too :)

Deep Breath does not improve no matter how you polish it.

I already saw 5. :) And I did like Time Heist.

Listen

This episode is very Moffat. I think I like it, or at least parts of it.

[spoiler]I do kind of like it. I did like the part about the Doctor hiding in Clara's bedroom in case she brought her date home. The Doctor is less an oblivious to sex man, but seems more like a grumpy rear end in a top hat. The time travel bits were stupid, and it seemed like no one could figure it out that the kid and Mr. Pink were one and the same.

There is also it seems a setting that can not only send the TARDIS to the end of the universe (I guess he no longer needs a Jack Harkness to do that), but also back to Gallifrey to see child Doctor hiding and crying in a barn. gently caress you Time Lock.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's very easily the worst of the three.

Amen brother. They didn't know what to do with any of the characters and took too long finding what they were trying to say.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Wait, people in that thread are bitching about The Eleventh Hour?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Looke posted:

Yeah you can tell. Also the opening was abysmal, I absolutely hate it, the theme isn't that bad, but they should have stuck with the spacey-time vortex rather than spinning clocks.

I actually feel the opposite - to me, the vortex was never the important part of the intro; the super-campy sound of the theremin was. I like the spinning clocks as a change of pace, although that might be mostly because it's a change in the color scheme. Ugh, I find that synthesizer sound so GRATING.

I DVR-ed it, so I'm only a few minutes into it, but I'm enjoying it overall so far.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PassTheRemote posted:

Wait, people in that thread are bitching about The Eleventh Hour?

Jesus. Different strokes I know but Doctor Who fandom really does have no central axis of reference.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

mind the walrus posted:

Jesus. Different strokes I know but Doctor Who fandom really does have no central axis of reference.

To be fair, on one hand there are Doctor Who fans, and on the other hand, there are goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was excruciating to start with but picked up as it went along and had a few good moments and funny bits. It could have been much worse, and from what I've heard about the other episodes they just might be.

I can never forgive the dinosaur being the size of Big Ben though. That's just a ludicrous size for a dinosaur.

• Locked thread