Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I don't envy next season's villains. They've got a tough act to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Jorghnassen posted:

He disables a car with lightning at the beginning of season 2.

King of Foolians posted:

He also used lightning briefly in the season 2 finale when giant-spirit Korra was fighting Unalaq/Vatuu and all the evil spirits were coming for Korra's body. He shot it in a sequence with Tenzin, Kya, and Bolin shooting each type of element.

Man, I really have forgotten that season.

PiedPiper posted:

I don't envy next season's villains. They've got a tough act to follow.

I'm curious if they'd consider going with a female season-long villain (as opposed to a temporary annoyance like the Earth Queen). Considering how well they featured female characters this season, I don't doubt that they could do it better than most -- but at the same time, good female villains are so hard to come by in entertainment, so I'd still be a little nervous about that.

My favorite kind of villains are the ones that the hero develops an antagonistic bond with, so that they can verbally spar while fighting one another. Korra has never had that, and I don't think Aang did either, so that might be an interesting direction.

Edit: Here's a Forbes writer arguing that the quality of TLOK will give the series staying power, despite Nickelodeon's lovely treatment of it.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 23, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Barlow posted:

I really think this show leaves me with only one big question, is Jinora going to stay bald?
I seriously doubt the artists will leave her bald, it was just a homage.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 23, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
She's a master in a religious order that has existed for centuries, she's not getting her hair back.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jackard posted:

I seriously doubt the artists will leave her bald, it was just a homage.

It's also kind of hard to apply tattoos to the head with a full head of hair in the way.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

TheModernAmerican posted:

She's a master in a religious order that has existed for centuries, she's not getting her hair back.

Looks like somebody missed the name of Book Three's title.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

TheModernAmerican posted:

I have some bad news for you about that centuries-old religious order. You might want to sit down for this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In regards to the Red Lotus killing a four year old: Korra wouldn't have been able to go into the Avatar state at that age, so them killing her then would have been pointless if their goal was to stop the Avatar cycle.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
And they were going to keep her alive long enough to open the portals for Harmonic Convergence. The question is whether or not they would have killed her/had her kill herself afterwards.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

I have some bad news for you about that centuries-old religious order. You might want to sit down for this.

Didn't tenzin explicitly say it was a personal choice? If she wants her hair, she'll grow her hair out.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its like television producers learned nothing after the Felicity snafu.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Hauldren Collider posted:

Didn't tenzin explicitly say it was a personal choice? If she wants her hair, she'll grow her hair out.
Sure did, but posting that isn't as funny.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Not only is Jinora going to keep her head shaved, if you keep watching, you'll have to shave your head too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Isn't the Avatar State designed to empower the Avatar with all the skills and experiences of all of the past Avatars? With Korra being cut off from all of her past lives, wouldn't her Avatar State be markedly weaker since she can only draw any kind of power at all from Raava, and not Aang/Roku/Kyoshi/etc?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Raava's power is still very powerful.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Isn't the Avatar State designed to empower the Avatar with all the skills and experiences of all of the past Avatars? With Korra being cut off from all of her past lives, wouldn't her Avatar State be markedly weaker since she can only draw any kind of power at all from Raava, and not Aang/Roku/Kyoshi/etc?
Likely, so that means that Korra only gains simultaneous bending, Rava's power and a general powerup from it; the rest is all her. :black101:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Not only is Jinora going to keep her head shaved, if you keep watching, you'll have to shave your head too.
It's true, I woke up this morning and my head was shaved

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
She's still powerful, obviously, but I've heard some fans speculate that since Korra can't tap into her past lives anymore, she can't use skills learned by other Avatars, ie. Aang's ability to take bending away.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Genocyber posted:

I don't like things that are different :cry:

Zuko's S3 haircut is actually more in line with traditional Chinese style; the ponytail is a Qing (read: Manchu) artifact.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Now I'm wondering if the Red Lotus was formed when Aang was still alive and if they ever tried to kill Adult Aang

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Jinora will keep her head shaved just for the superior net gun dodging skills it provides.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They said the Red Lotus came about when the White Lotus openly came out of hiding to help the Avatar. If he's still alive, he'll probably be very old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildeyes posted:

She's still powerful, obviously, but I've heard some fans speculate that since Korra can't tap into her past lives anymore, she can't use skills learned by other Avatars, ie. Aang's ability to take bending away.

Nah. Korra can still use all the abilities she was aware of how to use and she's retained her ability to pick up new skills insanely quickly (Metalbending.) She can't ask for advice but we've got no indication she suddenly lost anything she had before.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Now I'm wondering if the Red Lotus was formed when Aang was still alive and if they ever tried to kill Adult Aang
Book 4 excuse to bring Katara, Zuko, and Toph back together again found.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Anybody else get the feeling that Korra's not getting back to normal anytime soon? Hell even if she heals and can walk again it seems like she was being told "We'll take your job off your hands" by Tenzin. Not to mention that after all this, she caused this inadvertently to herself by starting harmonic convergence. I have a feeling her character's going to change a fair bit for the next season. Then again they can always chuck that out the window and she'll be back to her normal self in the first episode.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Goat posted:

Anybody else get the feeling that Korra's not getting back to normal anytime soon? Hell even if she heals and can walk again it seems like she was being told "We'll take your job off your hands" by Tenzin. Not to mention that after all this, she caused this inadvertently to herself by starting harmonic convergence. I have a feeling her character's going to change a fair bit for the next season. Then again they can always chuck that out the window and she'll be back to her normal self in the first episode.
Book 4 is 13 episodes. I can't see Korra staying in a wheelchair for more than three episodes, but then I have been wrong before.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
She's going to keep her head shaved. Her "change" was to go from apprentice to master, and a better one than her father ever will be.

She's the daughter of the man explicitly trying to keep it alive, who only hesitantly and after a full episode of focusing on it, changed his mind about rigidly keeping it to the old ways. She's the granddaughter of the previous avatar who is the only link from the present air nation to the past. If anyone will be keeping herself shaved, it will be her.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I liked this season. A lot. I was waiting for them to fumble the finale like they always do, but they managed to completely stick the landing.

THAT SAID, there is part of me that legitimately wants to see Nick somehow retroactively cancel Season 4 only so its legacy is that of a show with many trips and stumbles along its way, but fully uprighting and correcting itself, firmly headed on the path to greatness only for it to be abruptly cancelled.

And so the final shot that exists of Avatar: The Legend of Korra anywhere on earth is the main character crying in her wheelchair.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
"Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void, empty, and become wi-"

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Korra is gonna be the villain next season. I mean, what else can they do? I'm pretty sure anyone who breathes fire and vows to destroy their enemies has a serious bad-guy bend to them.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
I don't think Korra's going to be in a wheelchair for /any/ episodes next season. She didn't shatter her legbones or sever her spinal cord. She's just weak while recovering from the poison. After a few weeks of rest she'll be mostly back to normal.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

beep by grandpa posted:

I liked this season. A lot. I was waiting for them to fumble the finale like they always do, but they managed to completely stick the landing.

THAT SAID, there is part of me that legitimately wants to see Nick somehow retroactively cancel Season 4 only so its legacy is that of a show with many trips and stumbles along its way, but fully uprighting and correcting itself, firmly headed on the path to greatness only for it to be abruptly cancelled.

And so the final shot that exists of Avatar: The Legend of Korra anywhere on earth is the main character crying in her wheelchair.
You're a bad person.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jorenko posted:

I don't think Korra's going to be in a wheelchair for /any/ episodes next season. She didn't shatter her legbones or sever her spinal cord. She's just weak while recovering from the poison. After a few weeks of rest she'll be mostly back to normal.

That would be really dumb and would mostly invalidate what happened to her. If they do things right one of the plots of next season will be Korra dealing with her recovery and depression.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
She could be out of the wheelchair but succumbing to a PTSD bout while doing her duties near the beginning of next season, for all we know.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

It also depends on how far of a timejump we get. It's a year after, there's no reason she should be in the wheel chair.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
No. No one wants to watch a loving saturday morning cartoon about depression and shell shock. God. She's going to get better. Maybe she's sad for like an episode but then she learns to get the hell over herself.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They were pretty explicit that the paralysis is temporary. Her body will recover on its own. The recovery of her spirit will be central to the next book.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hauldren Collider posted:

No. No one wants to watch a loving saturday morning cartoon about depression and shell shock.

Speak for yourself :fap:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I thought she might've broken or at least injured her legs when she fell of that loving cliff and landed badly. She was flying most of the time, or lying on the ground, so possibly. But being weak from mercury poison seems to have seized up her limbs, though she could move her hands around a little bit. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
This is a show where people get giant speeding boulders to the face regularly. I don't think it's even possible to make any predictions about the severity of injuries based on what happened in a fight scene.

• Locked thread