Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
So what are they going to do with Zaheer, really? He can contact the spirit world any time, from anywhere. He can mentor other people to follow his teachings. They have to kill him, don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jesto posted:

So what are they going to do with Zaheer, really? He can contact the spirit world any time, from anywhere. He can mentor other people to follow his teachings. They have to kill him, don't they?

They should throw him into the spirit world fog prison.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

well it is not like they've seen the Avatar State before.

It's probably just one of those things where reading about it in books is completely inadequate to prepare for dealing with it in person.

They also seem to have underestimated just how tough Korra is on a personal level. They were legitimately shocked she was resisting Avatar Stating for as long as she did and probably thought she'd be crippled instead of Hulking the gently caress out.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Genocyber posted:

They probably would have conditioned her such that she would have willingly given up her life to end the Avatar cycle after they used her to meet their other goals, like opening the spirit portals.

Exactly. They knew about harmonic convergence, Raava, Vaatu, the whole thing. So I'd guess their plan was to train Korra for her big harmonic convergence showdown, let her vanquish Vaatu/open the spirit portals, and then somehow kill her in the Avatar State or convince her to do it herself. It'd be the end of not just the Avatar Cycle, but Raava/Vaatu Cycle of Conflict as well, since there would be no Vaatu and no Raava for him to be reborn from.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Exactly. They knew about harmonic convergence, Raava, Vaatu, the whole thing. So I'd guess their plan was to train Korra for her big harmonic convergence showdown, let her vanquish Vaatu/open the spirit portals, and then somehow kill her in the Avatar State or convince her to do it herself. It'd be the end of not just the Avatar Cycle, but Raava/Vaatu Cycle of Conflict as well, since there would be no Vaatu and no Raava for him to be reborn from.

Except unbeknownst to them, they probably would have ended up getting betrayed by Unalaq and the world would have been hosed.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Silynt posted:

My biggest beef with the episode is that, ultimately, why the Red Lotus failed is because they underestimated the Avatar State's power. After they went through all that planning to force her into the change you would think that they would have come up with a means of binding her that would last more than 5 seconds. I mean, she can bend MOUNTAINS in that form, obviously she could pull the base of her bindings out of the wall!

The Red Lotus are pretty bad at plans, as evidenced by how almost every one of their plans throughout this season fails.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Whatif, In Book 4, Korra meets the real head honchos of the Red Lotus, and they think he was batshit insane, too? But they've got this plan for a new world order where all people are treated equally...

What I'm getting at is I'm hoping we'll get Book 4: Communism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darth Nat posted:

The Red Lotus are pretty bad at plans, as evidenced by how almost every one of their plans throughout this season fails.

That more has to do with them being the baddies, though.

They basically captured Korra about 3 times, and once they were discovered, once the Earth Queen beat them to it, and once they actually succeeded and nearly killed her friends in the process.

Actually, if Korra hadn't sent the airship down they would've treated with the Earth Queen and been on their merry way with no one the wiser on their real intentions.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I liked it.

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
Although the Red Lotus don't really have a name for their ideology, I wouldn't be surprised if it's used to "poison the well" whenever someone voices an opinion that could be tenuously related to it.

Especially since the United Republic is slowly entering the era of mass media, I could see some political pundit jabbering on the radio about how "Candidate X must be some Red Lotus sympathizer, with his constant whining about our (hypothetical) President's 'Authoritarian abuse of executive power'. I bet he keeps a little book of quotes by the so-called 'Guru' Laghima to break out whenever he make those speeches of his, amirite?"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Egregious Offences posted:

Although the Red Lotus don't really have a name for their ideology, I wouldn't be surprised if it's used to "poison the well" whenever someone voices an opinion that could be tenuously related to it.

Especially since the United Republic is slowly entering the era of mass media, I could see some political pundit jabbering on the radio about how "Candidate X must be some Red Lotus sympathizer, with his constant whining about our (hypothetical) President's 'Authoritarian abuse of executive power'. I bet he keeps a little book of quotes by the so-called 'Guru' Laghima to break out whenever he make those speeches of his, amirite?"
You could say its the beginning of a Red Scare :smug:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

They should throw him into the spirit world fog prison.

I really thought that was what they were going to do, since they had Zaheer throw Aiwei in that thing, and Zaheer told Korra exactly what it was. This franchise really loves its Chekhov's Gun.

Speaking of Chekhov's Gun, I feel like they could have reminded us that Mako can lightningbend sometime this season. He hasn't shown he can do that since, what, season 1?

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Wildeyes posted:

I really thought that was what they were going to do, since they had Zaheer throw Aiwei in that thing, and Zaheer told Korra exactly what it was. This franchise really loves its Chekhov's Gun.

Speaking of Chekhov's Gun, I feel like they could have reminded us that Mako can lightningbend sometime this season. He hasn't shown he can do that since, what, season 1?

He disables a car with lightning at the beginning of season 2.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Have you guys noticed how the Ba Sing Se riots are JUST like what's going on in Ferguson?

Also, lot of parallels between Palestine and Red Lotus this season. Red Lotus, while violent in approach, has a justifiable goal. Too bad they were decimated.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ravane posted:

Have you guys noticed how the Ba Sing Se riots are JUST like what's going on in Ferguson?

no.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Man, I didn't expect P'Li would go down like that. Cutting away just makes me think it went like this.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Wildeyes posted:

He also used lightning briefly in the season 2 finale when giant-spirit Korra was fighting Unalaq/Vatuu and all the evil spirits were coming for Korra's body. He shot it in a sequence with Tenzin, Kya, and Bolin shooting each type of element.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Ravane posted:

Also, lot of parallels between Palestine and Red Lotus this season. Red Lotus, while violent in approach, has a justifiable goal. Too bad they were decimated.

I wasn't aware that Darren Wilson is a radical leftist terrorist and that the city of Ferguson is ruled by an autocratic 18 year old.

Really, what are you talking about? The events you're drawing parallels with have almost exact opposite motivations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

kefkafloyd posted:

Man, I didn't expect P'Li would go down like that. Cutting away just makes me think it went like this.

Surely you mean

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

rip whoever had to clean up her body.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

DrSunshine posted:

Surely you mean

This would also be acceptable. Exploding heads are all good.

Thatz Anime Shit
Apr 29, 2007

That was a sick finale. Buff as hell Korra going ape-poo poo was definitely the coolest fight/scenes in a AtLA and LoK season. Real nice animation this time around. The feet bending Korra did when shackled was pretty wicked too.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Silynt posted:

My biggest beef with the episode is that, ultimately, why the Red Lotus failed is because they underestimated the Avatar State's power. After they went through all that planning to force her into the change you would think that they would have come up with a means of binding her that would last more than 5 seconds. I mean, she can bend MOUNTAINS in that form, obviously she could pull the base of her bindings out of the wall!

They poisoned her. They probably assumed she'd start out as weak as she was at the end of the fight. How could they have known Korra could resist mercury poisoning and fight at full strength for like 20 minutes?

ImpAtom posted:

They also seem to have underestimated just how tough Korra is on a personal level. They were legitimately shocked she was resisting Avatar Stating for as long as she did and probably thought she'd be crippled instead of Hulking the gently caress out.

Yeah basically this.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Jorghnassen posted:

He disables a car with lightning at the beginning of season 2.

Good thing the police are here :smug:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Surec posted:

They poisoned her. They probably assumed she'd start out as weak as she was at the end of the fight. How could they have known Korra could resist mercury poisoning and fight at full strength for like 20 minutes?

Yeah basically this.

Also, most of what they knew about the Avatar State probably comes from hearing about Aang's very different, more precise Avatar State.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Peter Giles sold the hell out of Ghazan's desperation. "I'm NEVER going back to prison!" :black101:

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Also she hasn't publicly used the Avatar state since losing access to the other Avatar's powers and abilities right? So they really had no way to gauge what Korra herself would be capable of.

I really think this show leaves me with only one big question, is Jinora going to stay bald?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Regalingualius posted:

Whatif, In Book 4, Korra meets the real head honchos of the Red Lotus, and they think he was batshit insane, too? But they've got this plan for a new world order where all people are treated equally...

What I'm getting at is I'm hoping we'll get Book 4: Communism.

:redhammer:

I liked how earlier this season Unalaq and Vaatu's plan was connected to the Red Lotus' machinations. If the Red Lotus sticks around for Book 4, maybe it would be neat to see a retcon connecting Amon and the Equalists to them. Something like a throwaway mention to him as a candidate for a super-bender group like the Anti-Gaang who washed out and struck out on his own to form the Equalists, or whatever. Just, ya know, bring everything together for the last book. Or maybe that's just dumb :shrug:

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Barlow posted:

Also she hasn't publicly used the Avatar state since losing access to the other Avatar's powers and abilities right? So they really had no way to gauge what Korra herself would be capable of.
She used it in the first episode of this season to deal with the vines.

quote:

I really think this show leaves me with only one big question, is Jinora going to stay bald?
I hope not. I always hated the fact that Aang was bald. Made me feel like I was watching Avatar: The Last Leukemia Victim.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hauldren Collider posted:

I hope not. I always hated the fact that Aang was bald. Made me feel like I was watching Avatar: The Last Leukemia Victim.

Maybe you should just try to learn not to only equate baldness with cancer when watching a show that has a culture based on Tibetan monks?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Barlow posted:

I think the flashback episode about Appa showed that Air Nomad women typically grew their hair, minus the part where the tattoo goes. Might've been the same deal for the Airbender avatar Aang consulted during the finale, though I can't remember.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Maybe you should just try to learn not to only equate baldness with cancer when watching a show that has a culture based on Tibetan monks?

Bald looks dumb on a little kid. And women. This is a subjective thing. I also think the tattoos look stupid. My opinion on aesthetics is agnostic to the cultural roots of whatever I'm looking at.

EDIT: Aang looked cooler when he grew his hair out in S3. Zuko looked cooler when he ditched his stupid ponytail and got a normal Harry Potter haircut. Sokka looked cooler when he got rid of his mohawk. Yes these are western ideas on haircuts. I don't really care though. I'm western. Sue me.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 23, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

I think the flashback episode about Appa showed that Air Nomad women typically grew their hair, minus the part where the tattoo goes. Might've been the same deal for the Airbender avatar Aang consulted during the finale, though I can't remember.

Avatar Yangchen has this hairstyle, too:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

:redhammer:

I liked how earlier this season Unalaq and Vaatu's plan was connected to the Red Lotus' machinations. If the Red Lotus sticks around for Book 4, maybe it would be neat to see a retcon connecting Amon and the Equalists to them. Something like a throwaway mention to him as a candidate for a super-bender group like the Anti-Gaang who washed out and struck out on his own to form the Equalists, or whatever. Just, ya know, bring everything together for the last book. Or maybe that's just dumb :shrug:

I could potentially see that. Or hell, Amon secretly was an active Red Lotus member whose real objective (whether he knew it or not) was to force Korra to get in touch with her spiritual side ASAP; leading a revolution in Republic City was just a bonus (or way to placate him).

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I could potentially see that. Or hell, Amon secretly was an active Red Lotus member whose real objective (whether he knew it or not) was to force Korra to get in touch with her spiritual side ASAP; leading a revolution in Republic City was just a bonus (or way to placate him).

That's quite a bank shot. Is the megalomaniacal aspect really too difficult to believe? Why not just keep it simple. Guy wants power, does bad things to get power. I don't see the benefit of complicating that with the whole Red Lotus thing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah. Korra is incredibly hardy and strong, to the point where whatever intelligence on previous Avatars they had to suggest their plan would work was inadequate. If you'd tried that on Aang...well, he'd probably have gotten out of it some other way, but I doubt he'd have been able to snap the chains with sheer force.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The time period that Legend of Korra's setting is based on is one in which, in the real world, many independent revolutionary movements arose at the same time, some of which sound crazier to modern ears than others. It's okay for some of them to be different conspiracies.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bald looks dumb on a little kid. And women. This is a subjective thing. I also think the tattoos look stupid. My opinion on aesthetics is agnostic to the cultural roots of whatever I'm looking at.

EDIT: Aang looked cooler when he grew his hair out in S3. Zuko looked cooler when he ditched his stupid ponytail and got a normal Harry Potter haircut. Sokka looked cooler when he got rid of his mohawk. Yes these are western ideas on haircuts. I don't really care though. I'm western. Sue me.

I don't like things that are different :cry:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

That's quite a bank shot. Is the megalomaniacal aspect really too difficult to believe? Why not just keep it simple. Guy wants power, does bad things to get power. I don't see the benefit of complicating that with the whole Red Lotus thing.

I do agree that having Amon turn out to be with 'em all along doesn't actually add anything of significance to either. I was just thinking of how such a connection could be explained if they did go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I don't like things that are different :cry:

Correct.

• Locked thread