Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn, tumblr. Just goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Spergatory posted:

"Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void, empty, and become wi-"

I kind of wish there had been somebody around qualified to throw Zaheer's philosophy back at him with some barbs like "freedom without limits is just another kind of cage" or something. I guess socks are good too. Plus the whole putting him in a cage for the rest of his life, thing, probably with extra chains now that he's an airbender.

Although really, Zaheer is a walking argument for the death penalty (admittedly not a very good one since unstoppable master criminals just waiting for the opportunity to escape and carry out their insane schemes don't tend to exist in real life).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rand Brittain posted:

I kind of wish there had been somebody around qualified to throw Zaheer's philosophy back at him with some barbs like "freedom without limits is just another kind of cage" or something. I guess socks are good too. Plus the whole putting him in a cage for the rest of his life, thing, probably with extra chains now that he's an airbender.

Although really, Zaheer is a walking argument for the death penalty (admittedly not a very good one since unstoppable master criminals just waiting for the opportunity to escape and carry out their insane schemes don't tend to exist in real life).

I'm guessing "who gets custody of Zaheer?" is going to be at least a minor point of conflict in the next season. The Earth Kingdom's obviously going to want his head for the Earth Queen, but I could see Tenzin/the White Lotus argue that they need to get their poo poo together before/if they'll hand him off.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Earth Kingdom would probably want to thank Zaheer instead of killing him.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Except for Mako's grandma

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rand Brittain posted:

I think if Zaheer was killed he'd just gently caress off to the Spirit World like Iroh did, where he'd be able to continue his grim work there.

Also, I had to do it:

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Speaking of Tumblr, here's what Bryan posted back in June 2013. And then Tumblr noticed.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Jorghnassen posted:

Speaking of Tumblr, here's what Bryan posted back in June 2013. And then Tumblr noticed.

loving poo poo. :golfclap:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So the thing about Book 3, and I think LoK in general, is that Zaheer's right. You can tell that the show's written with the assumption that everything about his philosophy is correct because pains are otherwise taken to make him lose his composure, make looters look goofy, etc. It's actually, honestly true that the Avatar is a completely material accident of circumstance, the result of a tiff between a couple spirits (and spirits are basically a kind of particularly annoying animal), one whose impact can be gamed through simple preparation and contingency.

If Ozai had just arranged for Aang to have a cold, or for a second comet to have been in the sky, or something, he could've just defeated the Avatar in personal combat and gone on to rule the world, no big.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Had a thought. What if Zaheer was right about Korra being the last Avatar? Or at least prophetic. Like, over the past 3 seasons, we've seen one example after another of how the world is changing, the old order is dying out, and the Avatar is becoming less and less relevant and having less and less influence over the affairs of the mortal world. In the previous season, we even learned that the very existence of the Avatar was an accident and that the Avatar only exists because of one man's quest. Now with this season we're seeing that the resurgent Air nation appears to be taking over the position of the Avatar in maintaining balance and reducing conflict. We also saw the Earth Kingdom's old tyranny toppled over.

Could it be that the final season will see the world united in a new order, with there being no more need of an Avatar to try to maintain balance singlehandedly? It seems almost fitting that since this is the last season of the Avatar series, to have it go out on the note that there will still be benders, and spirits, but that, in a Tolkienesque sense, the Age of Avatars has passed. Korra needn't die per se, but it still seems possible that with the theme of "change" will come the realization that a new age is dawning and that the world has no more need of Avatars.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

This would be so unexpected it might be good. I don't have the image saved but there was a statue room in TLA that shows Aang as the second to last and an empty slot (Korra) as the last Avatar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

So the thing about Book 3, and I think LoK in general, is that Zaheer's right. You can tell that the show's written with the assumption that everything about his philosophy is correct because pains are otherwise taken to make him lose his composure, make looters look goofy, etc. It's actually, honestly true that the Avatar is a completely material accident of circumstance, the result of a tiff between a couple spirits (and spirits are basically a kind of particularly annoying animal), one whose impact can be gamed through simple preparation and contingency.

If Ozai had just arranged for Aang to have a cold, or for a second comet to have been in the sky, or something, he could've just defeated the Avatar in personal combat and gone on to rule the world, no big.

Literally nothing you just wrote made sense.

"Leaders are unnatural and should be murdered" isn't justified by that at all, especially considering the Avatar is the personification of a godlike forced of balance.

DrSunshine posted:

Had a thought. What if Zaheer was right about Korra being the last Avatar? Or at least prophetic. Like, over the past 3 seasons, we've seen one example after another of how the world is changing, the old order is dying out, and the Avatar is becoming less and less relevant and having less and less influence over the affairs of the mortal world. In the previous season, we even learned that the very existence of the Avatar was an accident and that the Avatar only exists because of one man's quest. Now with this season we're seeing that the resurgent Air nation appears to be taking over the position of the Avatar in maintaining balance and reducing conflict. We also saw the Earth Kingdom's old tyranny toppled over.

Could it be that the final season will see the world united in a new order, with there being no more need of an Avatar to try to maintain balance singlehandedly? It seems almost fitting that since this is the last season of the Avatar series, to have it go out on the note that there will still be benders, and spirits, but that, in a Tolkienesque sense, the Age of Avatars has passed. Korra needn't die per se, but it still seems possible that with the theme of "change" will come the realization that a new age is dawning and that the world has no more need of Avatars.

This, however, is something not impossible. However I don't think it means the end of the Avatar as the villains want. It means a serious change in what the Avatar is, which does seem to be what the series is going towards. Korra herself even said as much in Season 2's ending although I don't think she fully grasped what she was saying when she did that.

I don't think the show is going to end with the end of the Avatar but I do think that it is going to end with the Avatar's status quo being something extremely different. I think it is almost certainly going to end with the idea of the Avatar as a singular special force being supplemented. If it ends with "Korra, the last Avatar," it will do so with "The Last Avatar" being a triumphant thing, not a failure as it would be if Amon/The Red Lotus would have succeeded.

That would also be pretty good from a thematic perspective as Korra herself has always defined herself as "The Avatar" and the villains all approach her as "The Avatar" (and I think each one has talked about her being the Last Avatar at least once and it was Ozai's plan in TLA too.) Korra getting growth to the position where she willingly grows beyond being the Avatar while also subverting the series-wide threat of "The Last Avatar" would be a big triumph.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 23, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Korra can't be the last avatar, we need the next series of a young hick Earth Avatar from the boonies trying to understand a futuristic world of flying metal cars and energybending teleportation and everyday people with airbending flight and and and :fap:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Harold Cooplowski posted:

This would be so unexpected it might be good. I don't have the image saved but there was a statue room in TLA that shows Aang as the second to last and an empty slot (Korra) as the last Avatar.

This shot?

They could probably fit a few more Avatars there... but it is weird that it's spiralling inwards to a dead end, I'd never noticed that before.

This seems to be the clearest shot of it in Korra:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well, I'm sure if they needed to expand it, they could always just pay some Earthbender masons to shift all the statues one position outwards. No big deal! :shrug:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I assumed they just shifted everyone a spot out for the new avatar.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
there is an insane amount of young tenzin x young lin beifong r34 and it's all really well executed and sensual

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Nooo, it's like a Fibonacci spiral, they'll just build smaller and smaller statues in the center so that it goes on forever :downs:

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

Oh yeah, Aang wouldn't have been built yet. Still.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

quite the fucker posted:

there is an insane amount of young tenzin x young lin beifong r34 and it's all really well executed and sensual

:stare:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quite the fucker posted:

uh

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Quoting it doesn't make the thread any better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

You all have such thin skin. Just ignore it.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Quoting it doesn't make the thread any better.

Quite the contrary.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Pomp posted:

I assumed they just shifted everyone a spot out for the new avatar.

This makes way more sense than assuming either that the shows writers planed a series ahead or that Air Benders knew the future.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

and when i say "young" i mean young adult like when they were in a relationship

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

You all have such thin skin. Just ignore it.
What did you think of the finale?

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

so don't get any funny ideas

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quite the fucker posted:

so don't get any funny ideas
Much like your posting.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What did you think of the finale?

I've not watched it yet, I'm away for work. I've not posted much this Book for the same reason but everything has been much improved so far.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

This shot?

They could probably fit a few more Avatars there... but it is weird that it's spiralling inwards to a dead end, I'd never noticed that before.

This seems to be the clearest shot of it in Korra:

I got the impression that the previous one ends up in the center while everyone else moves backwards. It expands outward, like the universe. With the avatar at the center of it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ImpAtom posted:

Literally nothing you just wrote made sense.

"Leaders are unnatural and should be murdered" isn't justified by that at all, especially considering the Avatar is the personification of a godlike forced of balance.

Murdering's a matter of personal preference, but he's absolutely right that all thrones are false and authorities artificial - including the Avatar's own. The religious claim that the Avatar is a personification of a godlike force of balance, but that's just mythology - you and I know, have in fact been shown directly, that the Avatar is a historical accident that can be predicted and countered like any other natural disaster or stroke of bad luck.

I think a lot of people will take away from Season 3's events that Korra is just a particularly ill-trained, unlucky, or otherwise crappy Avatar, but the real takeaway from this series is that the Avatar itself is crappy - that the mystique surrounding the station of Avatar was just that, all along.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Murdering's a matter of personal preference, but he's absolutely right that all thrones are false and authorities artificial - including the Avatar's own.

How about democratically elected officials, like the Republic City president they planned to murder? If you're arguing from a super-libertarian "everything would be great if only that drat gubment' standpoint, that's fine, but you'd probably also have to acknowledge that isn't something that the show is going to back you up on.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Murdering's a matter of personal preference, but he's absolutely right that all thrones are false and authorities artificial - including the Avatar's own. The religious claim that the Avatar is a personification of a godlike force of balance, but that's just mythology - you and I know, have in fact been shown directly, that the Avatar is a historical accident that can be predicted and countered like any other natural disaster or stroke of bad luck.

I think a lot of people will take away from Season 3's events that Korra is just a particularly ill-trained, unlucky, or otherwise crappy Avatar, but the real takeaway from this series is that the Avatar itself is crappy - that the mystique surrounding the station of Avatar was just that, all along.

But... Raava is a godlike force of balance. And the Avatar is the being merged with her. So the Avatar is literally what you just said: the personification of a godlike force of balance.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I mean, also, the avatar just manifestly has magical powers (bending four elements, the avatar state, all those statues that glow when she does stuff, etc.) that set her apart from everyone else in the world and make it clear that there's something to all this avatar business that can't be mapped directly onto any real-world religious position.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nephthys posted:

But... Raava is a godlike force of balance. And the Avatar is the being merged with her. So the Avatar is literally what you just said: the personification of a godlike force of balance.
If Raava is killed before Vaatu is able to be reborn from her and exist independently again (or however it works), then isn't that just as balanced as Raava and Vaatu co-existing, if not arguably better since the destiny of man is no longer tied to the conflict between these divine beings?

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 24, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

How about democratically elected officials, like the Republic City president they planned to murder? If you're arguing from a super-libertarian "everything would be great if only that drat gubment' standpoint, that's fine, but you'd probably also have to acknowledge that isn't something that the show is going to back you up on.

??? I think you have me confused with someone else. Given Zaheer's basic metaphysical assumptions, you could go plenty of ways, even something like "I'm going to sell out to the Earth Queen because it seems easiest and most profitable". Those metaphysical assumptions are entirely born out, though, and strongly inform how the Avatar's portrayed throughout the series.

Nepthys posted:

Is she? She says she's a godlike force of balance, certainly. Of course, she's not even particularly godlike, being basically a big weird-looking person. Doesn't balance much, either, except by offering advice or material aid towards the goal of attaining balance, which a wizard or something could do just as well. This cuts both ways - Vaatu's ten thousand years of darkness didn't really amount to anything more than Vaatu getting really big and stepping on as many things as he could before someone hit him on the snout with a rolled-up newspaper.

LoK, in general, takes a very matter of fact and mechanistic approach to the mythology of the Avatar (the mythology of Avatar, really), because it can't seem to find another way to arrange for repeated defeats on its main character's part.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Is she? She says she's a godlike force of balance, certainly. Of course, she's not even particularly godlike, being basically a big weird-looking person. Doesn't balance much, either, except by offering advice or material aid towards the goal of attaining balance, which a wizard or something could do just as well. This cuts both ways - Vaatu's ten thousand years of darkness didn't really amount to anything more than Vaatu getting really big and stepping on as many things as he could before someone hit him on the snout with a rolled-up newspaper.

Without Raava those ten thousand years of darkness would have amounted to the destruction of the human race. You're going "he was defeated, that means he is powerless" when that doesn't at all mesh with what was shown onscreen. It wasn't like he was beaten by Bolin shooting a rock at him.

Like, Raava and Vaatu are spirits of such immense and unfathomable power that they control the fate of the world for millenia and rend the world asunder in their fight. They are primordial essences that exist throughout eternity. They are pretty much the definition of Godlike even if they are not omnipotent.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 24, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ferrinus posted:

??? I think you have me confused with someone else. Given Zaheer's basic metaphysical assumptions, you could go plenty of ways, even something like "I'm going to sell out to the Earth Queen because it seems easiest and most profitable".
I don't think it counts as selling out if you plan to kill them once you've gotten what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

only the avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world

• Locked thread