Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I'm not in anything, but a friend of mine is, and since I "know about cars, right?" I was the person he asked.

Holy poo poo your friend is the wrong person to own an RX7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'm an idiot :smith:
Though at least I took the precaution of unhooking the main cables from the ones that just go straight from one terminal to the next, so nothing other than this battery got hosed up. Aaand now I have a bigass truck battery for when I get that winch for the Kia (as long as I can fix those threads and that slag didn't burn too far into the casing)

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Tactical Bonnet posted:

This is a terrible place to ask, but what could cause a 2nd gen RX-7 to not want to rev above a certain rpm? Specifically, approximately 3krpm.

I dont remember the fix, but the problem is the secondary injectors arnt firing as they come alive around 3k on factory ecms.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Tommychu posted:

I'm an idiot :smith:
Though at least I took the precaution of unhooking the main cables from the ones that just go straight from one terminal to the next, so nothing other than this battery got hosed up. Aaand now I have a bigass truck battery for when I get that winch for the Kia (as long as I can fix those threads and that slag didn't burn too far into the casing)

Decent penetration, looks like your gas is too low though.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

FatCow posted:

Decent penetration, looks like your gas is too low though.

I had Taco Bell for dinner the night before, so gas was definitely a problem :downsrim:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

rotard posted:

I dont remember the fix, but the problem is the secondary injectors arnt firing as they come alive around 3k on factory ecms.

The aforementioned ECU problems need to be weeded out, but there are also legitimate grounding problems that can keep the secondaries from coming on. I had to add grounding straps to my old FC convertible to solve a hesitation at 3k RPM. It will start as hesitation when the ground is weak and build into the secondaries not activating at all.

Can it rev past 3k with no load?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hey I think there might be something wrong with the input shaft bearing on my trans but Im not sure :v:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
The rollers are all still there, just give it some fresh grease and it should be fine. :v:

Thanks for all of the answers about the RX7, different people, I'll make sure and pass the information along. Though since I asked that question the car was totaled by being rear-ended at low speed.

The damage was confined to the front passenger fender and the unibody(?), the doors and hood and all of the glass (including sunroof) are totally fine. Other than the 3krpm issue it runs and drives quite well.

Any idea what I should suggest he sell it for (in Oklahoma) after he buys it back from the insurance company?

edit: it's an 88. apparently in first it will go past 3krpm, but not in other gears.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 24, 2014

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
'88 would be S4, so ignore my OMP talk. Probably the secondary injectors then. Grounding is a likely culprit.

Uhh, how does the front gender get damaged when the car was rear ended?

I wouldn't buy it back from insurance. Even if the body is pristine (and I suspect it'll probably have some paint issues and the typical rear wheel well rust) you probably won't be able to make a profit from trying to flip it. Its probably a $2k car, tops.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Probably, but even a small profit, plus the fact that the car still drives fine(ish) allows him to wait to sell it until he gets a good enough offer, or finds another car to buy in the meantime.

Sorry folks, derail over, I'll try and take a look at the injectors and pass on the advice, thanks for all the help and information.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
With a salvage title the car isn't going to be worth poo poo.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Either let insurance keep it, or part it out. Good side of a part out: People need parts; running engines/trans/diff/brakes/electronics. There's at least $1k in profit from a part out. Bad side: gently caress cheap as FC owners who want to trade you their girlfriends dog for parts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Good side: dog.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

8ender posted:

This also made one of the most AI photos. Post the photo of the fireballs.

Had to look around a bit...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Brigdh posted:

'88 would be S4, so ignore my OMP talk. Probably the secondary injectors then. Grounding is a likely culprit.

Uhh, how does the front gender get damaged when the car was rear ended?

I wouldn't buy it back from insurance. Even if the body is pristine (and I suspect it'll probably have some paint issues and the typical rear wheel well rust) you probably won't be able to make a profit from trying to flip it. Its probably a $2k car, tops.

Probably got pushed into the car in front of it because he didn't give proper room.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

veedubfreak posted:

Probably got pushed into the car in front of it because he didn't give proper room.
"Proper room" is that to avoid dings from rollbacks etc. Not the effects of someone rear-ending you hard enough to write off the shell.

Agent RE-RE
May 13, 2002

See? It IS funny!

Sagebrush posted:

Get a mechanical vernier caliper, never have to worry about dead batteries or wrong readings, and stop fooling yourself with more accuracy than your hands are actually capable of to boot :smugbert:

Absolutely, if i had any say in the calipers we used they would be dial calipers. Unfortunately I have NO say, and since our tools must be calibrated and certified biannually, I can't just bring the lovely set I have at home. :mad:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Agent RE-RE posted:

Absolutely, if i had any say in the calipers we used they would be dial calipers. Unfortunately I have NO say, and since our tools must be calibrated and certified biannually, I can't just bring the lovely set I have at home. :mad:

All of ourtesting equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, airflow sensors, force gauges, adjustable-torque tools, etc...) is calibrated every 6 months as well, but the place that does it will calibrate basically anything (I think we send our stuff to Tektronix, who surprisingly will calibrate any manufacturer's stuff). This includes stuff I've brought from home for a couple of random tests, and dollar-store stopwatches.

Next time we send stuff for cal, I want to try to get a traceable calibration for my ruler...

Agent RE-RE
May 13, 2002

See? It IS funny!

Slanderer posted:

Next time we send stuff for cal, I want to try to get a traceable calibration for my ruler...

In the month before an audit we typically go through the shop labeling things "FOR REFERENCE ONLY" so as to keep the auditor from dinging us with a finding for a shop maintenance guy's out of calibration tape measure or some other ridiculousness. Of course, this often devolves into a joke, leaving us with several clocks "FOR REFERENCE ONLY" a whole host of pens "FOR REFERENCE ONLY" and more than one coffee cup "FOR REFERENCE ONLY". Aerospace workers are hilarious.

(no we're not)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

"Proper room" is that to avoid dings from rollbacks etc. Not the effects of someone rear-ending you hard enough to write off the shell.

He said low speed rear end. Proper room is so that if the car in front of you breaks down you can pull around them without backing up. Or if someone rear ends you, you don't rear end the car in front of you. People out here love to pull up inches from the bumper of the car in front of them. At least daily I have someone pull up so close to me I can't even see their headlights anymore.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I should have specified that the fender damage is unrelated. My bad.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Agent RE-RE posted:

In the month before an audit we typically go through the shop labeling things "FOR REFERENCE ONLY" so as to keep the auditor from dinging us with a finding for a shop maintenance guy's out of calibration tape measure or some other ridiculousness. Of course, this often devolves into a joke, leaving us with several clocks "FOR REFERENCE ONLY" a whole host of pens "FOR REFERENCE ONLY" and more than one coffee cup "FOR REFERENCE ONLY". Aerospace workers are hilarious.

(no we're not)

Old friend of mine got a roll of "FOR RECTAL USE ONLY" stickers and spiced things up a bit. Most folks do a double take when they are used to "FOR REFERENCE ONLY."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We replace all our tape measures every year, as they need calibrating which costs three times what a new tape measure costs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Agent RE-RE posted:

(no we're not)

A friend's place of employment brought in expensive consultants and did the whole Six Sigma/Kaizen bullshit thing... busibody managers decided everyone's cube desks (not shared cubes) were subject to this as well. So everyone had to label where everything went on their own loving desk.

He got a little creative with it and put some fun labels on:
* coffee mug
* feet go here
* crumbs from breakfast
* crumbs from lunch
* pack of smokes
* car keys

IIRC they told him to knock it off after he wasted the managers time asking for smaller labeling tape so he could label which finger went on which key on the home row of his keyboard.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kastein posted:

A friend's place of employment brought in expensive consultants and did the whole Six Sigma/Kaizen bullshit thing... busibody managers decided everyone's cube desks (not shared cubes) were subject to this as well. So everyone had to label where everything went on their own loving desk.

* coffee mug
* feet go here
* crumbs from breakfast
* crumbs from lunch
* pack of smokes
* car keys

IIRC they told him to knock it off after he wasted the managers time asking for smaller labeling tape so he could label which finger went on which key on the home row of his keyboard.

We got a new senior manager and it sounds like they're going to expect us to 5S our desks, in the same (stupid) way.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Sagebrush posted:

Old RX-7s had trouble meeting emissions standards even before catalytic converters were a thing, mostly because of unburned fuel and incomplete combustion products (long, narrow combustion "chamber" = cool combustion = lots of soot) so Mazda's first solution was something called a "thermal reactor". Basically an air pump into a chamber high up in the exhaust system that allowed the combustion to complete and turn the soot and CO into less objectionable CO2. (ie: fuel keeps burning inside the exhaust system). Could it have been that?

I ask just because all the RX-7s I've seen have backafterfired like crazy all the time. Almost as bad as my NT650, which sounds like a popcorn popper when you decelerate with a closed throttle.

And "bridged ports" is one of the more drastic mods you can do to a wankel. There aren't any cams or valves to adjust to get increased gas flow, so if you want more intake or exhaust potential you have to literally enlarge the ports like you would on a 2-stroke. As you grind away material, eventually they get so large that you can't get any bigger without having the apex seal fall out into the port as it traces its path along the rotor housing. The solution is to stop there, leave a line of material ("bridge") that the seal rides on, and keep hollowing out on the other side.

Bridgeports have terrible idle characteristics, just like a huge lopey cam designed for the dragstrip does, but you probably already knew that.
Bridgeports are not too bad, lived with them for a long time, just a little lumpy and surgy at idle. But they are the braap braap sound synonymous with the rotary engine.

Now have you heard of J ports, monster ports? They are what is verging on unstreetable.
And of course, back in the day, peripheral ports. They were the thing for race and drag only.
The original rotaries were peripheral ported of course, and all the recent racing mazdas were peripheral ported as well as that's the best way to get power if having to be N/A.
But old school porting like bridgeport and j port or peripheral porting went away from street 12a/13bs when turbos became more popular.

As far as a reactor, originally my 1974 rx3 must of had one, as it had a light on the dash for reactor overheat but the sensor being near the boot floor and from memory had some kind of giant rear muffler box and rectangular outlet pipe from the factory. Didn't have a thermal reactor (in place of extractors) or an air pump, but could be built to Australia's emissions standards for export, ie different to JDM or USA cars.

But I think the thermal reactor was something different to and on top of that and the air pump recirc system that was fitted to later models.
The earliest 'clean emissions' RX I remember was something about an rx4 being one of the cleanest vehicles in full anti pollution models back in 1973, but not sure if they had an air pump plus thermal reactor, but Mazda did manage to make it be the first vehicle ever to pass 1975 emissions standard and for a year at least it was heralded as the lowest emission car. e: Would not like to see the vacuum line diagram on that car.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 26, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

* coffee mug
* feet go here
* crumbs from breakfast
* crumbs from lunch
* pack of smokes
* car keys

"Jerkin' Zone"
"Cryin' Zone"
"The empty spot on my desk where a picture of my beloved Shurleen once was"

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

"Jerkin' Zone"
"Cryin' Zone"
"The empty spot on my desk where a picture of my beloved Shurleen once was"

"Splash Zone"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BraveUlysses posted:

We got a new senior manager and it sounds like they're going to expect us to 5S our desks, in the same (stupid) way.

I get having everything labeled and organized if different people use the information, but everything we use is digital. I have paper copies of a few things I reference often just cause it's faster, but the master copy is on the network. I don't see the point of having everything labeled and easily retrievable and never bothered despite the occasional emails about it.

If I were to label things, then management would know about the kite with a skull on it I keep in my desk for night flying (when I worked second shift).

Having everyone use a standard file structure for the project folders was a pain in the rear end, but that was worth it as many people work on many projects. It's nice jumping onto a new one and knowing where to look to find documentation.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Double post:

Got an email that my coworker isn't coming into the office today. Stopped by my boss and he said "a car fell on him."

Guess he had a car up on a dyno and the shift linkage got stuck. He jacked up the front and got under it (no stands), messed with the linkage, and knocked it into drive/neutral (not sure which). That let the car roll backwards on the dyno rollers and off the jack onto the guy.

He apparently loaded up the car and drove it an hour+ home before going to the hospital.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kastein posted:

* coffee mug
* feet go here
* crumbs from breakfast
* crumbs from lunch
* pack of smokes
* car keys

I 5s-ed my coffee cup spot.

I mean I totally agree that always knowing where the 1/2" drive torque wrench is is a great thing, but drat management tends to suffer from the "X is good, more X must be better" mentality.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Our place has started doing the 5s crap about a year ago now. Busibody manager is a good way to put it. Giant easels that were used for about a month that no one bothers with now except to write notes to themselves, labeling that got beyond stupid in a month, and the guy not having any idea about a machine shop so trying to reduce cycle times with no idea on what he was doing. Some of the ideas are good such as identifing our main places that cause us to lose money because of idiocy and cleaning up the piles of junk that accumulate in our shop but most of its a waste of time and money for little gain. We honestly have probably lost money from this stupid thing.

They haven't got my area yet thank god. Night shift means they never see me and as of right now I'm the only one that is actually trained and knows our equipment enough to start the process. And until one guy quits it won't happen because he's an idiot. An idiot that puts machines together backwards and upside down.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sagebrush posted:

Old RX-7s had trouble meeting emissions standards even before catalytic converters were a thing, mostly because of unburned fuel and incomplete combustion products (long, narrow combustion "chamber" = cool combustion = lots of soot) so Mazda's first solution was something called a "thermal reactor". Basically an air pump into a chamber high up in the exhaust system that allowed the combustion to complete and turn the soot and CO into less objectionable CO2. (ie: fuel keeps burning inside the exhaust system). Could it have been that?

I ask just because all the RX-7s I've seen have backafterfired like crazy all the time. Almost as bad as my NT650, which sounds like a popcorn popper when you decelerate with a closed throttle.

That's what I was going to say. Unique to the '79-80s, and that extra 1" or so tail pipe goes all the way to the back. It was basically an afterburner.

Fart Pipe posted:

Ooo Ooo, can I play? Did this the other day with my truck. Too bad I recorded it with my phone because it sounded mental

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPKAZNf6ZcA

I did the same when I had the muffler off my '79 RX-7, but it just sounded like the world's angriest weedeater. Un-muffled, un-turbo'd rotaries sound like poo poo. too many high-frequency harmonics or something, I read once.
Now, my '70 Cutlass sounded pretty good with open headers, but apparently I failed to record that.

On the plus side (?) the RX-7 does some pretty good after-fire's on it's own, say, down a hill, decelerating.

spog posted:

Back in the day of carb'ed bike, my friend had a trick when overtaking assholes. As he was about to pass them, he'd briefly kill the ignition, before restating, just as he passed the driver's window.

The loud backfire afterfire would startle the hell out of the driver.

Worked very well, until one day he did and the bike vomited the exhaust internals onto the motorway.

I did manage to blow up the muffler on my '68 El Camino many years ago by doing that. A nice load BOOM, then a much more aggressive exhaust note. :) Replaced it with a Cherry Bomb glass-pack, which sounded way better than the stock style muffler that I blew up.

8ender posted:

Holy poo poo your friend is the wrong person to own an RX7

This, no doubt.

rotard posted:

On a friend's, it was the injector wiring connectors coming loose because the locking tabs had broken. Zip-tie fix. It could also be clogged injectors, or a sensor issue, like maybe the TPS not letting the ECU know the engine is off-idle (it's really just an idle switch on the S4s). My '90 S5 did that once, though it cut out around 1500-2000. I'd start with clogged or otherwise not-functioning secondary injectors first. They;'re easy to get to and test.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I work for Toyota and we only 4S our poo poo, I assume the extra S is for labeling poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Our place has started doing the 5s crap about a year ago now. Busibody manager is a good way to put it. Giant easels that were used for about a month that no one bothers with now except to write notes to themselves, labeling that got beyond stupid in a month, and the guy not having any idea about a machine shop so trying to reduce cycle times with no idea on what he was doing. Some of the ideas are good such as identifing our main places that cause us to lose money because of idiocy and cleaning up the piles of junk that accumulate in our shop but most of its a waste of time and money for little gain. We honestly have probably lost money from this stupid thing.

They haven't got my area yet thank god. Night shift means they never see me and as of right now I'm the only one that is actually trained and knows our equipment enough to start the process. And until one guy quits it won't happen because he's an idiot. An idiot that puts machines together backwards and upside down.

I once had the joy of doing parts stock integrity at a Toyota dealership. Just as I got everything perfect and running smoothly and set up so the halfwit mechanics didn't gently caress it up, the idiot service manager decided to get a boner for kaizen certification.

"You should put the parts with the most commonly used at the front."
"Ok, but what if we get a different amount of stock for each part or something? I have to rearrange everything every time."
"DO IT IT'S EASIER THIS WAY!"

So instead of having all the oil filters in one place and the air filters in another and so on, in numerical sequence, everything was randomly arranged based on statistical part movements, the mechanics couldn't find poo poo, when new parts arrived they just got thrown wherever, stock integrity went down the toilet and I got the blame.

gently caress toyota and their little five esses and their kaizen. I'm certain that poo poo works brilliantly in a factory tumbling out thousands of cars a day. Not so well in real life.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Our place has started doing the 5s crap about a year ago now.

Wait, I know this one. Swaddle, Sway, Shush, Side-Stomach position and Suck.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slavvy posted:

gently caress toyota and their little five esses and their kaizen. I'm certain that poo poo works brilliantly in a factory tumbling out thousands of cars a day. Not so well in real life.

It works okay, if thousands of people constantly tend the system, adjusting and tweaking it to cope with reality impinging on some managers dumbass vision of what is best.

The six sigma black belts say other companies that follow in our 4s, JIT, Toyota way footsteps just take it to far.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There is a good reason why my basic maxim for the shop floor is "if someone without the word 'quality' or 'engineer' in their job title tells you to do things a certain way, ignore them".

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

InitialDave posted:

There is a good reason why my basic maxim for the shop floor is "if someone without the word 'quality' or 'engineer' in their job title tells you to do things a certain way, ignore them".

Funny, just the opposite in our shop.:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Funny, just the opposite in our shop.:shrug:
Does the word "manager" make your left eye twitch involuntarily?