Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's some great Mods for DOW as well, I mean their still are people who release mods for it.

I know there's a Tyranid and Tau added mod as well as a turn based mod and then just general big mods that add more units and change the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is there any way to get Dawn of War to work on Windows 8? It just crashes on startup.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

serious gaylord posted:

Is there any way to get Dawn of War to work on Windows 8? It just crashes on startup.

Uninstall windows 8 and install windows 7.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

DJ Dizzy posted:

Uninstall windows 8 and install windows 7.

This is helpful feedback. He should actually just install Linux *shits pants*

E: If you're getting the "Spooge" driver error message, there's a fix posted on Relic's forums

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?269472-Spooge-driver-not-found-Verify-that-DirectX-is-properly-installed

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 23, 2014

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

SRM posted:

If you're playing the campaigns, Chaos Rising is definitely worth it. It continues the story from DoWII and some of your choices and equipment carry over. It's a great expansion pack. Retribution has the most fun multiplayer I've ever experienced in an RTS, but unfortunately the community died off after Starcraft II came out. The campaign in Retribution is really lovely, but there's some entertainment in the dialogue and such. The actual gameplay of the campaign is shallow and they just remix the same handful of missions for every army available to play as.

Yeah, I'm playing single player. Anything special I should do in the vanilla campaign that carries over to Chaos Rising? I'm near the end of the campaign.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

reagan posted:

Yeah, I'm playing single player. Anything special I should do in the vanilla campaign that carries over to Chaos Rising? I'm near the end of the campaign.
Nothing carries over between the two. You're fine to do whatever.

SRM posted:

I never really got the appeal of Last Stand. It's fun for a few rounds but it's really repetitive. Given my utter and absolute disdain for MOBAs, I just think that sort of game isn't for me.
Nah, I get that. I can't stand DOTA or anything like it, but I'll happily play Last Stand. To be fair, part of it is just shooting the poo poo with friends on mumble. The game itself is pretty entertaining though. Wargear combinations can get pretty wacky and you can end up with things like an almost invulnerable hive tyrant or a mek boy that teleports randomly when hit, has a chance to randomly teleport enemies in melee, and causes everything that teleports to explode. Including himself. :orks101:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, I get that. I can't stand DOTA or anything like it, but I'll happily play Last Stand. To be fair, part of it is just shooting the poo poo with friends on mumble. The game itself is pretty entertaining though. Wargear combinations can get pretty wacky and you can end up with things like an almost invulnerable hive tyrant or a mek boy that teleports randomly when hit, has a chance to randomly teleport enemies in melee, and causes everything that teleports to explode including himself.

I had a Farseer build that was straight up unkillable and could buff and quick revive allies, needless to say I had to change it to get past the doppelganger stage.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, I get that. I can't stand DOTA or anything like it, but I'll happily play Last Stand. To be fair, part of it is just shooting the poo poo with friends on mumble. The game itself is pretty entertaining though. Wargear combinations can get pretty wacky and you can end up with things like an almost invulnerable hive tyrant or a mek boy that teleports randomly when hit, has a chance to randomly teleport enemies in melee, and causes everything that teleports to explode. Including himself. :orks101:

I liked the Ork Kommando who would throw a random grenade, and the grenade could explode into more grenades, a bunch of tires, or a bunch of Rippers.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Did anybody pay for the Tau Commander Last Stand add-on? How was he? The Hive Tyrant felt like it fell off pretty hard in the later stages but all the others seemed alright.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

panascope posted:

Did anybody pay for the Tau Commander Last Stand add-on? How was he? The Hive Tyrant felt like it fell off pretty hard in the later stages but all the others seemed alright.

One of the better designed heroes. He's super fun and pretty drat good.

The Hive Tyrant needs some gimmick build (pet bombs if I remember) to be effective from start to finish, but to be fair he's not the only one.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

SoftDrink posted:

So i just got back from my local game store after looking at the new Daemon Hunter book(aka Grey Knights). I was going through it with some of my friends and we feel that its really bland all the cool named characters are gone and it all kinda seems lacking in the cool stuff category. I was wondering if any of you that have seen the book and have a similar or different opinion?

Sadly, I am pretty strongly in this camp. Aside from the unique detachment, which is admittedly fairly cool, the GK book is really, really bland and is basically just a stripped-down version of what was there before. They added some weak relics/warlord traits and called it a day.

WAR FOOT posted:

My understanding is that it's the Cullexus that's the true winner here; I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up quite often.

The Culexus definitely has some potential, but if his gun is as short-ranged as before (18" I believe) he's gonna struggle to affect the battlefield much. And, like the other assassins, he's just not THAT tough at the end of the day, so laying a S8 blast onto him or whatnot is quite doable.

For my money, the Callidus is where it's at. Snap Shots the turn she arrives, deploy literally anywhere, AP2 flamer, ID and poison in close combat, utility stuff tagged on even for when she gets killed. I think the big problem the assassins will struggle with is getting into position, the Callidus just completely ignores that part.

Fix posted:

It's weird that they gave the Culexus both the rule that says anyone attacking it is BS/WS1 and also gave it Fear. Am I forgetting something extra about the Fear rule, or is that just completely redundant? I guess it could be effective to cause Fear in a unit you are assaulting with multiple units...

Beyond what was already mentioned, the enemy failing a Fear check will allow other units you have to hit on 3s as well.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

E: never mind.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The new dataslates are cool to me because they remind me of my lists when I first started playing where I'd cram in an inquisitor lord and Callidus Assassin into every list. Now I can do that and it won't be so awful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It feels like something from 2nd edition. I like them. They're not crazy overpowered because they can never ever hide in a squad so that's really good.

Callidus only being hit on 6s the first turn is some good survivability.

To me the Callidus seems the one to be the most useful, I mean it screws up reserve rolls, screws up seize the initiative, can come on from the back field from reserve etc.. etc..

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The GK special characters seem quite good to me. Draigo has perhaps the best artifact weapon other than Drach-nyen, and even then it's a close call. Crowe is a beast with AP2 attacks and re-rolling either his 2+ or his 4++ in challenges: he'll eat supposed uber-duellist Lucius like a light snack, and Kharn as well nine times out of ten. Librarians can abuse the hell out of Sanctic and bring in some Divination as well so your force weapons, be they ranged or CC, hit as much as they can.

Gimmicky or broken stuff like Pychostroke grenades and psybolt ammo are gone, but there's a lot of strong stuff left. Even a list not centered around boosting warp charged will dominate the pychic phase handily most of the time. Combine it with the improved Assassins and Inquisition dataslates, or even just plain Astra Militarum, and there's a ton of stuff to do.

It's low that they completely borked paladin lists, which were a huge portion of why people played GK, but it was not really unexpected. I really miss the art from the old codex model, though. Also, has anyone else noticed how the vehicle paintjobs in the book pictures looks...really, really lame? Just flat metal with a few heraldic symbols. Looks really different from the infantry armor color style, and it bugs me.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Yea, that model should be 300-350 points, a Lord of War, and limited to 2000+ games.

It should have never been made. It takes the fun out of the game, it makes me not want to play people who field them because it hard counters my entire army (and at least 2 others), and it proves GW bias. I really despise myself for getting so deep into 40k just to have it bite me.

Has anyone said please source your quotes yet?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Sephyr posted:

The GK special characters seem quite good to me. Draigo has perhaps the best artifact weapon other than Drach-nyen, and even then it's a close call. Crowe is a beast with AP2 attacks and re-rolling either his 2+ or his 4++ in challenges: he'll eat supposed uber-duellist Lucius like a light snack, and Kharn as well nine times out of ten. Librarians can abuse the hell out of Sanctic and bring in some Divination as well so your force weapons, be they ranged or CC, hit as much as they can.

Gimmicky or broken stuff like Pychostroke grenades and psybolt ammo are gone, but there's a lot of strong stuff left. Even a list not centered around boosting warp charged will dominate the pychic phase handily most of the time. Combine it with the improved Assassins and Inquisition dataslates, or even just plain Astra Militarum, and there's a ton of stuff to do.

Draigo has good fightin' stats and his fixed psychic powers help, but he's still expensive and you have to buy an HQ in addition to him- that's close to 400pts down the drain before you even add a troop model to your army. With the drop from T5 he's much less able to shrug off all those S8 AP2 shots that are the bane of a Paladin unit and while he is putting out a good number of high-strength high-WS attacks, at the end of the day he is pretty identical to the various other 2+/3++ models that strike at initiative and wound on 2s. He's certainly not bad, but he's a huge investment.

Psybolt wasn't broken because of any inherent function of +1Str, it was broken because it cost 5pts on vehicles. No one (outside of GW) ever thought that was a fair price for it, but it would've been wholly possible to re-price it such that it was fair and balanced. S5 Storm Bolters didn't break the game. Dreadnoughts and Razorbacks and Stormravens with "Psycannons" on them didn't break the game; hell, even S6 Heavy Bolter Razorbacks were merely good, not horrifically unfair. Changing Psybolt to be 10-30pts, depending on the chassis, and giving it a "per model" cost on nonvehicles would have been entirely doable. But apparently coming up with more than one number is beyond GW's capability, so they shitcanned it.

GK don't dominate the psychic phase at all- they have a lot of defensive psychic strength, but in terms of active psychic powers they actually fall well below Eldar, Daemons, Tyranids, Inquisition, and arguably even CSM and IG. Despite having an army full of psykers, their actual psychic offense is pretty much limited to their HQ models- the fact that all of your squads are throwing in a warp charge die just makes up for the fact that you don't have cheap/easy access to psykers elsewhere like the above armies do. And GK pay a lot for their warp charge dice- 110pts for a Strike Squad is your minimum entry point, and in 7E all of the "built in" stuff like Force and Hammerhand is actually kinda useless most of the time because you won't have the dice to activate all of them every turn.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What difference does S8 AP2 make to a T4 model with Eternal Warrior over a T5 model? Both wound on 2's, yeah?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fix posted:

What difference does S8 AP2 make to a T4 model with Eternal Warrior over a T5 model? Both wound on 2's, yeah?

Correct, no functional difference.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AbusePuppy posted:

..110pts for a Strike Squad is your minimum entry point...

You know i never noticed, until you pointed it out, that GKs have gone from a codex that had some of the most varied troops choices and coolest FoC shenanigans, to being on par with SoB in terms of boring rear end no choice lists.

Do they really only have access to marines or terminator marines as troops now?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So what's new with the Vindicare? Inquiring minds (My friend reading over my shoulder) wish to know.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

You know i never noticed, until you pointed it out, that GKs have gone from a codex that had some of the most varied troops choices and coolest FoC shenanigans, to being on par with SoB in terms of boring rear end no choice lists.

Do they really only have access to marines or terminator marines as troops now?

Yes cause they're phasing out the FOC shenanigans. Orks have gretchin and orks. SW have grey hunters and blood claws, when codex space marines rolls around for an update it'll be tacticals and scouts.

And it doesn't really matter anymore cause everything scores.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Fix posted:

When he is hanging with the standard Paladin unit and benefiting from the Apothecary, it means he can't take FNP against the S8 hits anymore. That's about 50% more wounds than he would suffer compared to last time around.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So what's new with the Vindicare? Inquiring minds (My friend reading over my shoulder) wish to know.

His statline is the same, but with an extra wound. All his shots (except snap shots) are Precision, and he imposes a -2 penalty to LOS! rolls to avoid them. So long as he isn't making snap shots, his stuff ignores cover saves. He still has his special ammo, but now they are a choice between wound on a 2+, ignore invuln saves, and do two wounds/be S10 vs vehicles. He's 5pts more than he used to be, and he will essentially always have Preferred Enemy (Warlords).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In short, he's exactly what he should be. The coolest sniper guy.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Man, I'd pay 5 points to give Illic Nightspear all these abilities.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

I painted another one.

More pics in the Models thread.

Chaos Lord Diomedes?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Draigo has good fightin' stats and his fixed psychic powers help, but he's still expensive and you have to buy an HQ in addition to him- that's close to 400pts down the drain before you even add a troop model to your army. With the drop from T5 he's much less able to shrug off all those S8 AP2 shots that are the bane of a Paladin unit and while he is putting out a good number of high-strength high-WS attacks, at the end of the day he is pretty identical to the various other 2+/3++ models that strike at initiative and wound on 2s. He's certainly not bad, but he's a huge investment.

Fully agreed on psybolts. Scaling them better to who was firing them would have been a much better solution, but it might require, like, 5 -days- of playtesting, which is clearly about 6 days too much.

I think they dropped Draigo to T4 because it cheaper to have an apothecary atached to him now, he's still amazingly durable and killy, with his 2+/3++ (so jealous of that combo with my CSM), and able to reach S10 at I5 with his AP2 sword, meaning he'll often get to cause instante death even without turning on his force weapon, which is something those other 2+/3++ guys with Burning blades can't do!

And as long as your second HQ is functional, I don't see a 400 point investment in HQs as a waste (assuming a 1850 point game here). Librarians are amazing buff sticks and mesh well with Draigo. Your Deny the witch is more reliable, so you have more dice to spare for channeling the key powers of your strtegy. Even having the specials characters with fixed powers is nice as it lets you do what few other can, which is to pick a power set for a specific strategy (though I'll admit there's not that much variation in the case of GKs).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
How's the fluff in the new GK codex?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Shadeoses posted:

Chaos Lord Diomedes?
Horus. He's kind of a big deal. You might've heard of him.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

What are some funny things we can put in a Space Wolf drop pod. You could go with a Guard special weapons team with 3 Demo charges, a pod of Jokaero Weaponsmiths, and a pod of Bullgryns.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Cataphract posted:

Yes cause they're phasing out the FOC shenanigans. Orks have gretchin and orks. SW have grey hunters and blood claws, when codex space marines rolls around for an update it'll be tacticals and scouts.

And it doesn't really matter anymore cause everything scores.

Eh.. them being scoring is a benefit of FOC shenanigans but really it's getting above the 0-3 limitation that's cool , being able to have 5 Bike Squads in a army etc..

Things being scorings not that big a deal.

SoftDrink posted:

What are some funny things we can put in a Space Wolf drop pod. You could go with a Guard special weapons team with 3 Demo charges, a pod of Jokaero Weaponsmiths, and a pod of Bullgryns.

The answer is always Apes with laser rifles.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

AbusePuppy posted:

When he is hanging with the standard Paladin unit and benefiting from the Apothecary, it means he can't take FNP against the S8 hits anymore. That's about 50% more wounds than he would suffer compared to last time around.

Ah, see there it is. Cheers.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

AbusePuppy posted:

And GK pay a lot for their warp charge dice- 110pts for a Strike Squad is your minimum entry point, and in 7E all of the "built in" stuff like Force and Hammerhand is actually kinda useless most of the time because you won't have the dice to activate all of them every turn.
Wait, did they increase the cost of Strike squads in the new codex? Before they were 100 points base.

Also, I'm interested in opinions on Interceptor squads: I'm assembling some of my knights and was planning on magnetizing the backpacks so I can run either Strike or Interceptors. Has anything changed with them aside from the loss of psibolt?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Sephyr posted:

And as long as your second HQ is functional, I don't see a 400 point investment in HQs as a waste (assuming a 1850 point game here). Librarians are amazing buff sticks and mesh well with Draigo. Your Deny the witch is more reliable, so you have more dice to spare for channeling the key powers of your strtegy. Even having the specials characters with fixed powers is nice as it lets you do what few other can, which is to pick a power set for a specific strategy (though I'll admit there's not that much variation in the case of GKs).

That's still eating up 1/5 of your list even in a game that size, though, which can be a pretty big disadvantage. And 1850 is a pretty large points value- playing at 1750 or 1500 is quite common for a lot of people, and in a game that size Draigo is even less worth considering.

I like the idea of special characters with fixed warlord traits/powers being a thing because it opens up design space for building lists around specific abilities, although admittedly that space only exists because GW is so deep into the "randumb is fun!!!!1" concept.

Karl Rove posted:

Wait, did they increase the cost of Strike squads in the new codex? Before they were 100 points base.

Also, I'm interested in opinions on Interceptor squads: I'm assembling some of my knights and was planning on magnetizing the backpacks so I can run either Strike or Interceptors. Has anything changed with them aside from the loss of psibolt?

Yeah, they went up 10pts because of the sergeant tax now. Lots of other squads got similar small bumps, although some of them (like Purifiers) also saw small cost-per-model reductions alongside it, so base cost for the squad is often similar.

For Interceptors, the loss of Psybolt and the change of Psycannons to Salvo is a huge strike for their old role of "teleport in, gently caress up some tank's rear arc." It can still potentially be done, but power armored models with Psycannons are pretty unimpressive now. On the other hand, Incincerators are only 5pts, so the ability to jump up and flame some guys out of cover is much better than it was before. I don't think it's 135pts worth, but it's at least a use they have.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 24, 2014

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

For Interceptors, the loss of Psybolt and the change of Psycannons to Salvo is a huge strike for their old role of "teleport in, gently caress up some tank's rear arc." It can still potentially be done, but power armored models with Psycannons are pretty unimpressive now. On the other hand, Incincerators are only 5pts, so the ability to jump up and flame some guys out of cover is much better than it was before. I don't think it's 135pts worth, but it's at least a use they have.

They can bring a teleport homer when they move around the battlefield, allowing for pinpoint deployment of stronger units while they toast foot soldiers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Very unethused by the GK codex, okay my prediction for September is the rerelease of Necron in 7th edition.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
crossposting from the painting thread, I've finally made some significant progress on my friend's 3 Imperial Knights

and magnetized to fit the big annoying cannon-things:

he wants heat-staining on the melta guns:

this was all Minitaire paints with Ghost Tints to make the staining - I did the same thing on the exhausts

and all lacquered up, so I can take a break to watch the F1:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Those are dope as hell.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Stop making me want to buy an airbrush! :argh:
Good work on the Knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Eh.. them being scoring is a benefit of FOC shenanigans but really it's getting above the 0-3 limitation that's cool , being able to have 5 Bike Squads in a army etc..

Things being scorings not that big a deal.

You're acting like the FOC is the same as it was in 6th. if you want to run more elites then run multiple detachments unbound or in the case of GK the nemesis strike force detachment.

I really don't understand how folks complain about changes to the game/codexes when those changes have been mitigated by changes to the basic rules months ago. Being troops is not a big deal anymore, following the FOC is not a big deal anymore.

• Locked thread