Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Devor posted:

The question was answered by the commentators, and it was Entropic's reason rather than Ramos' explanation.

One of those interactions that catch new players out. I played someone yesterday who said she won a game at the game day by chaining Preeminent Captains out, felt kinda bad telling her the interaction she partially built her deck around didnt work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Just wanna say overloading a turn 2 vandalblast against an affinity player who previously had the nut hand is satisfying in every way

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mulligan'd down to five cards, got Thoughtseized, and Tom Ross goes straight through to the win regardless due to monoblack getting mana screwed. Ouch.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So this rules question came up during my FNM last night, maybe someone here can answer.

I attacked my opponent with a Frostburn Weird. He had an Elvish Mystic and a Scavenging Ooze out. The question was, could he block with his Mystic, tap it to float a green mana, then after the Mystic dies to combat damage, use that mana to activate Ooze to eat the Mystic?

The question's really just about when that mana would've emptied from his mana pool.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I'm pretty sure mana empties between phases and the mana he got during the assign blockers phase would go away after moving to the combat damage phase.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
No. Because mana empties at the end of every step and phase, and because combat damage happens at the start of the Combat Damage step before anyone gets priority, there's no way to float mana before it dies and be able to use that to eat it, barring something like Omnath. You don't have the opportunity in Combat Damage, and while you have the opportunity in Blockers, it'll just fade away before damage is dealt.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I would miss something like Reid Duke playing that UG Prophet deck from last year updated for M15 :(

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

qbert posted:

So this rules question came up during my FNM last night, maybe someone here can answer.

I attacked my opponent with a Frostburn Weird. He had an Elvish Mystic and a Scavenging Ooze out. The question was, could he block with his Mystic, tap it to float a green mana, then after the Mystic dies to combat damage, use that mana to activate Ooze to eat the Mystic?

The question's really just about when that mana would've emptied from his mana pool.

No. From rules:

quote:

500.4. When a step or phase ends, any unused mana left in a player’s mana pool empties. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack.

The latest he can activate Mystic for the mana is in Declare Blockers step, the earliest the Mystic is in the graveyard and can be eaten is in Combat Damage step.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Tonetta posted:

Just wanna say overloading a turn 2 vandalblast against an affinity player who previously had the nut hand is satisfying in every way

How did this happen? Sounds awesome.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Serum Visions is in a weird place where it's kind of a stupid card compared to preordain (what possible situation could you be in where you wouldn't to see 2 cards before you draw) but preordain is banned in modern and they'll never reprint a standard card that's banned in another format. They should have just made a new similar card, maybe scry 1 draw a card. Or a 2 mana scry 3 draw a card. Preordain at 2 mana instant speed would also have been cool.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sleep of Bronze posted:

No. Because mana empties at the end of every step and phase, and because combat damage happens at the start of the Combat Damage step before anyone gets priority, there's no way to float mana before it dies and be able to use that to eat it, barring something like Omnath. You don't have the opportunity in Combat Damage, and while you have the opportunity in Blockers, it'll just fade away before damage is dealt.

Thanks. I tried arguing this position, but apparently the concept of mana emptying at the end of steps was foreign to everyone at the FNM. It didn't end up mattering for that game, and I beat him and won a box anyways. :)

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

qbert posted:

Thanks. I tried arguing this position, but apparently the concept of mana emptying at the end of steps was foreign to everyone at the FNM. It didn't end up mattering for that game, and I beat him and won a box anyways. :)

lmao gotta show dem niggas whats what every now n again

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

How did this happen? Sounds awesome.

I play bloom titan and chose to bloom into a vandalblast on the draw than a titan

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
It was - OK, it was more than five years ago, they should have caught the hell up by now - but it was part of the M10 rules changes to make it steps and phases as well as phases. Ironically, they made it empty after both because so many people couldn't remember the difference, so I enjoy the fact that you had people trying to enforce the old, picky rules while being totally wrong about them still being on the books.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
tom ross is Real Good at drawing cards

vv uh i'm not belittling him. his play was great and he drew like a madman. also what the hell's your problem, I don't even know who you are ok now i'm pretty sure i'm being trolled

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 23, 2014

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

tom ross is Real Good at drawing cards

lol yeah know what u mean. man just had no skill @ all mate, just drawing dem cards takin the free wins

dont know how rabble isnt banned yet, ya feel me?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It would be pretty beautiful if Boettcher loses to two different Rabble Red decks today, after insisting on having zero sideboard cards against it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LaTex Fetish posted:

lol yeah know what u mean. man just had no skill @ all mate, just drawing dem cards takin the free wins

dont know how rabble isnt banned yet, ya feel me?

Yeah man I dig. Ya kno what else takes zero skill? UW control. That Flowsh or whatever his name at the GP was only won by playin that broke rear end jank Sphinx's Rev yo.

How do you lose after you play that jank for like 10 on turn 3 god.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah man I dig. Ya kno what else takes zero skill? UW control. That Flowsh or whatever his name at the GP was only won by playin that broke rear end jank Sphinx's Rev yo.

How do you lose after you play that jank for like 10 on turn 3 god.

wisdom

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Aetherspouts OP, like Supreme Verdict but better in every way. Ban now.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Aetherspouts OP, like Supreme Verdict but better in every way. Ban now.

Look at how it completely changed what happened! Overpowered. :v:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
how to beat UW control as burn: have them keep a hand that does literally nothing

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

how to beat UW control as burn: have them keep a hand that does literally nothing

White mana? Who need white mana? I got this kickin' rad hand.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

mcmagic posted:

Reid Duke on the SCG feed playing GU Devotion with Yisan, The Wonderer Bard. lol

Where would you fine a list for this?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
haha bertoncini fails after starting 6-0

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Alris posted:

Here you go.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Alris posted:

02:17:21 here: http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/561140446

Last I heard he was 2/2 with it.

Scribbled it out:
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Kiora's Follower
1 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Burning-tree Emissary
1 Scavenging Ooze*
4 Yisan, Wandering Bard
2 Courser of Kruphix
1 Reclamation Sage
4 Polukranos, World Eater
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
1 Nylea's Disciple
4 Prophet of Kruphix
1 Arbor Colossus
2 Prime Speaker Zegana*
1 AEtherling*

1 Negate
1 Plasm Capture*
2 Chord of Calling

2 Breeding Pool*
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Temple of Mystery
6 Forest
3 Island
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

Sideboard:
3 Negate
1 Dispel
1 Reclamation Sage
3 Nylea's Disciple
2 Jace, Architecht of Thought*
1 Jace, Memory Adept*
1 Setessan Tactics
1 Skylasher*
2 Mistcutter Hydra

Dunno why he's only got two Breeding Pools, thought you'd rather drop Yavimaya Coasts first. I've marked the stuff cycling out, it loses 2 handy one-of two drops and Zegana, who so far I see as a finisher and card draw. Broodmaster might indeed fit well in it's place, but doesn't have the immediate value, even if a Prophet might let you monsterous it and get the tokens in response to removal at it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

haha bertoncini fails after starting 6-0

Those poor 6 people. Do you think he uses his magic tricks sparsely like a fine spice or does he have a personal record of how many he can jam every tournament?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Drafted a pretty awesome Vintage Masters goblins deck. Lose games 2 and 3 to the same combo, Mox Sapphire ---> High Tide --> 3 Frantic Search ----> Dark Ritual ---> Dark Ritual ----> Tendrils/Brain Freeze ---> Scrivener ---> me scoop. Both games I had lethal next turn. He also had Force of Will and Underground Sea.

gently caress that guy.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Angry Grimace posted:

Drafted a pretty awesome Vintage Masters goblins deck. Lose games 2 and 3 to the same combo, Mox Sapphire ---> High Tide --> 3 Frantic Search ----> Dark Ritual ---> Dark Ritual ----> Tendrils/Brain Freeze ---> Scrivener ---> me scoop. Both games I had lethal next turn. He also had Force of Will and Underground Sea.

gently caress that guy.

He did draft storm so he deserves a win.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

He drafted storm WELL, at least from what we've seen, so that deserves a win.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The SCG stream right now is pretty much the textbook example of Mono-U vs G/W Aggro. G/W player drops his entire hand of big dudes on curve, and Mono-U player just shrugs with T3 Thassa, T4 MoW, win.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

That's kind of what I was thinking, but it still mad me want to punch a hole in the wall having a dude turn 4 win like it was a constructed game.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
people who've ever been interested in Vintage Rotisserie Draft, but sure to catch http://www.twitch.tv/shotgunlotus today (you can also start watching the draft from the beginning).

Marshall Sutcliffe and Randy Buehler are competing, and Brian Wong is commentating.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Lurchington posted:

people who've ever been interested in Vintage Rotisserie Draft, but sure to catch http://www.twitch.tv/shotgunlotus today (you can also start watching the draft from the beginning).

Marshall Sutcliffe and Randy Buehler are competing, and Brian Wong is commentating.

Here's the spreadsheet if people want to see how the draft portion turned out. Of note, some cards that were taken before Balance: Aether Spellbomb, Glaze Fiend, Darkwater Egg, Tainted Wood, and Dimir Cutpurse.

Also, there are two slots left in the inaugural SA Vintage Rotisserie Draft, for anyone who wants to give the format a try.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

qbert posted:

The SCG stream right now is pretty much the textbook example of Mono-U vs G/W Aggro. G/W player drops his entire hand of big dudes on curve, and Mono-U player just shrugs with T3 Thassa, T4 MoW, win.

Green white still wins overall. Woo woo!

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Ramos posted:

Green white still wins overall. Woo woo!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Looks like Reid stuck out all 10 rounds today and finished 6-4 with the Yisan deck.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Lurchington posted:

I like how the chat is now just badgering the commentators into getting shitfaced. They're doing a shot like every 10 minutes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
haha chris kelly just show and telled in consecrated sphinx and james nguyen put notion thief in. nguyen drew his entire library

e: awww nguyen killed his own thief

• Locked thread