Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
There are plenty of good X-books, just don't bother with Bendis. Read X-Factor and X-Force, or Magneto's and (Young) Cyclops' solo books.

The only good 616 Bendis books worth reading since Siege have been Ultimate Spider-Man.

Kaleidoscope fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, Bendis' Uncanny has had two separate hosed Up Powers plots - one where the Phoenix Five (excep Namor, and including Magneto, for... some reason) are having trouble controlling their powers, and a second one where the Sentinels would show up and the X-Men's powers would get hosed up (even more, I guess). Beast's nanomachine thing was intended to address the latter but not the former.

I think. It's ridiculously unclear.

If it was nanomachines Magneto would presumably have been able to detect them immediately.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

If it was nanomachines Magneto would presumably have been able to detect them immediately.

That's actually what I was thinking, going back to Morrison's X-Men..but then again, Bendis doesn't give a poo poo about how anyone else has ever written characters/plots.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Martinpale posted:

That's actually what I was thinking, going back to Morrison's X-Men..but then again, Bendis doesn't give a poo poo about how anyone else has ever written characters/plots.
Bendis doesn't really seem to give a poo poo about his own plot in this case, let alone anything else.

I mean, I'm sort of enjoying elements of his run, but It Was Dark Beast All Alone! and through the power of time travel, a piece of paper makes it out of a shield helicarrier are pretty 'I don't a fuuuuuck' moments.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

You could make a case - if you were feeling charitable towards Bendis - that Magneto's powers being hosed up post-AvX gave Dark Beast an opportunity to infect him with nanomachines without Magneto noticing, and once he was infected they prevented him from spotting them. Or, given Dark Beast's history as a geneticist, just use non-ferrous nanoassemblers, which is more likely anyways.

But that would be putting in a lot more thought than I suspect Bendis did.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You could make a case - if you were feeling charitable towards Bendis - that Magneto's powers being hosed up post-AvX gave Dark Beast an opportunity to infect him with nanomachines without Magneto noticing, and once he was infected they prevented him from spotting them. Or, given Dark Beast's history as a geneticist, just use non-ferrous nanoassemblers, which is more likely anyways.

But that would be putting in a lot more thought than I suspect Bendis did.

Hell, if we're putting more thought into it, just say that the Phoenix 5's powers are hosed because of Beast bringing the young x-men to the present, and explain Magneto/Magik's as some sort of timefuckery that happened to young them as a result of Beast's timefuckery. God forbid it actually make at least a little sense..it would also explain why Namor wasn't affected.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm sure he actually has a reason for the power thing.

If nothing else, because of how unimportant its been. Emma is using telepathy anyway because she just gets into the Cuckoo Hive Mind, and as long as everyone ducks first Cyclops' blasts work just fine.

If it was meant to be a new status quo, it would probably be an issue more.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Alright.

Which Magneto stories do I read?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Alright.

Which Magneto stories do I read?

Read the new series by Cullen Bunn, it's only 8 issues in.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

"Well, yknow, Ultimate Spider-Man is like Bendis' one good remaining book so maybe this issue won't suck"

Nope, it still sucked. God drat what was I thinking that Bendis could refresh himself with a new landscape of X-Men after his Avengers ran just ran out of steam. I really need to stop reading these books.

I mean 31 of these loving issues have come out of ANXM and it seems like almost nothing has happened of any real consequence.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

notthegoatseguy posted:

"Well, yknow, Ultimate Spider-Man is like Bendis' one good remaining book so maybe this issue won't suck"

Nope, it still sucked. God drat what was I thinking that Bendis could refresh himself with a new landscape of X-Men after his Avengers ran just ran out of steam. I really need to stop reading these books.

I mean 31 of these loving issues have come out of ANXM and it seems like almost nothing has happened of any real consequence.

I feel exactly the same way with UXM. I mean, what has actually happened? All I remember is some stuff about dodgy powers, Dark Beast was involved somehow and...what else? Anything? Oh yeah, Goldballs.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

How could you miss the torrid romance of Kitty Pride and totally not a self-insert Starlord? Or how that dirty old creep, Professor X, what a jerk, married Mystique and had a kid with her (who is just a clone of him) because that's totally the sort of thing he would do?

And the Future Brotherhood? And the character find of the 21th century, Goth Dazzler, she's edgy as gently caress man? And the young X-Men who are all so hip? And remember that time they kidnaped Jean Grey for no good reason so there could be a crossover and she got new powers?? Like, holy poo poo, new powers that make her pink! How could you forget all these exciting developments, memorable characters and lost lasting developments?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
I am getting the feeling either the death of Wolverine ends the Schism, or, as it seems may be par for the course with Bendis, it ends because the original X-Men go back at some point and everything is magically different immediately after to just wipe the slate without having to explain much because "time travel" (also, there is no explanation why nothing is different for anyone else but the X-Men).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Saoshyant posted:

How could you miss the torrid romance of Kitty Pride and totally not a self-insert Starlord?
When Bendis self inserts himself into a relationship with Kitty Pryde it's a lot less subtle than that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
One of the things I hate most about Kitty is the number of writers who obviously still have the hots for her from back when they were hitting puberty. It's creepy.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

SirDan3k posted:

One of the things I hate most about Kitty is the number of writers who obviously still have the hots for her from back when they were hitting puberty. It's creepy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bobby/Kitty was the only relationship of hers I have ever liked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rick posted:

Bobby/Kitty was the only relationship of hers I have ever liked.

Bendis kind of ruined that. If memory serves he started writing them as together before Aaron even got to there first date in WatXm.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rhyno posted:

Bendis kind of ruined that.

Kind of? Ha, that's funny.

"Bobby, I hate your guts! You did not agree with my decision to ruin the entire space-time continuum."

"Kitty, you didn't even give me a chance to talk about your decision of putting the entire space-time continuum in the hands of five kids!"

"Well, tough luck. I'm going out with Starlord."

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I'd go out with Starlord too. Bobby's kind of a putz.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Starlord will never be good enough for the super hacker genius ninja that is Kitty Pryde only 616 Kong can tame such a woman.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So the "Death" for Wolverine wasn't a literal death but a figurative death? Did I understand that right? Holy poo poo if thats the case gently caress Wolverine in his loving face.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

So the "Death" for Wolverine wasn't a literal death but a figurative death? Did I understand that right? Holy poo poo if thats the case gently caress Wolverine in his loving face.

Nah it hasn't happened yet. It'll be this month.

Edit: I should say September, I mean.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah it hasn't happened yet. It'll be this month.

O ok that makes me feel a little better.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SalTheBard posted:

Morrison came up with the idea of arcs about the hero dying which don't actually feature the heroes dying. And it was terrible when he did it too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Other than the first 18 issues, Aaron, and the two Millar runs what issues are worth getting in the sale of Wolverine on comixology?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We got preview copies of DoW #1. I dug it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So I've never really read X-anything except for some All-New X-men. Every page of this thread seems to wobble between utterly loathing each individual comic and liking it - is there any consensus on what recently-started comics are worth reading for a new reader? I'm not super interested in reading stuff from like 5+ years ago. It seems harder to figure out which x-men comics to read as there are so freakin many of them and the quality seems to be incredibly inconsistent even within the same name, as they constantly cycle writers.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Jason Aaron's run on Wolverine and the x-Men is pretty consistent, with maybe a couple dips in quality, but on the whole worth reading. I've been enjoying All New for the most part too. The current X-Force run keeps getting better, and you should probably read Si Spurriers run on X-Men Legacy for some excellent Legion shenanigans.

Think those are the making good things from the last few years, x-wise. I really liked Gillen's run on Uncanny but that's pre AvX so maybe too early for what your after?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Is there some reason you aren't interested in reading stuff from 5 years ago? Because like any era, there will be some good and some bad. I honestly can't speak highly of any of the current X-books except for Storm, and that could be mostly low expectations. It has potential to be good and it is doing well so far. But I've been burned before.

I'm also not that into Amazing X-Men or Nightcrawler but they aren't offensively bad like Bendis' X-Men run has been.

Mike Carey had a pretty strong run on various X-Men comics. He recently released a graphic novel but the name of it escapes me at the moment. He wrote (Adjectiveless) X-Men in the lead up to Messiah Complex. That book was later re-branded X-Men: Legacy and basically is a Xavier solo book and is a great run. It is followed up with what is essentially a Rogue solo run which is also good but I think is a bit different. Xavier is very much out on his own during that time while Rogue is (mostly) involved in the X-Men, and a good chunk of it is her leading her own team.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is there some reason you aren't interested in reading stuff from 5 years ago? Because like any era, there will be some good and some bad. I honestly can't speak highly of any of the current X-books except for Storm, and that could be mostly low expectations. It has potential to be good and it is doing well so far. But I've been burned before.

I'm also not that into Amazing X-Men or Nightcrawler but they aren't offensively bad like Bendis' X-Men run has been.

Mike Carey had a pretty strong run on various X-Men comics. He recently released a graphic novel but the name of it escapes me at the moment. He wrote (Adjectiveless) X-Men in the lead up to Messiah Complex. That book was later re-branded X-Men: Legacy and basically is a Xavier solo book and is a great run. It is followed up with what is essentially a Rogue solo run which is also good but I think is a bit different. Xavier is very much out on his own during that time while Rogue is (mostly) involved in the X-Men, and a good chunk of it is her leading her own team.

I dunno, it's just a little less interesting when it's already long over and done with and I know most of the major stuff that's gunna happen. I've been spoiled pretty thoroughly on older x-men stuff. Plus, for whatever reason, I've found myself liking the feel and style and art of a lot of the recent marvel stuff compared most older comics I've read - it's just a preference rather than any specific reason I could point out why I find it harder to get into older comics.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 31, 2014

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Remender's X-Force is pretty drat good writing and art.

I just read Marjorie Liu's X-23 run and I found it very good. It made me care about a character who was first described to me by a friend as an "emo-goth chick". Fun supporting cast, too.

Simon Spurrier's X-Men Legacy is very much self-contained and amazing.

I liked Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run. The very fact that it lasted 40-ish issues in this age of relaunches and early cancellations was quite a feat, too.

Also check out Magneto's solo book, too. He's quite the stone-cold killer there.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

Remender's X-Force is pretty drat good writing and art.

I just read Marjorie Liu's X-23 run and I found it very good. It made me care about a character who was first described to me by a friend as an "emo-goth chick". Fun supporting cast, too.

Simon Spurrier's X-Men Legacy is very much self-contained and amazing.

I liked Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run. The very fact that it lasted 40-ish issues in this age of relaunches and early cancellations was quite a feat, too.

Also check out Magneto's solo book, too. He's quite the stone-cold killer there.

I'll check some of those out. I've noticed the short comic thing, too - A good number of the really good comics I've found and enjoyed are just quick 12 to, if they're lucky, 20ish before being ended or swapping authors. Cycling authors and stories around is good and all but I feel like they don't give enough time to a lot of them - an issue of a comic can fit in a whole lot less than even a 30 minute episode of television, and yet even single-season TV shows end up with more entire episodes than you have issues. It feels like you just start to know the characters and then suddenly it's already over.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Wolpertinger posted:

I'll check some of those out. I've noticed the short comic thing, too - A good number of the really good comics I've found and enjoyed are just quick 12 to, if they're lucky, 20ish before being ended or swapping authors. Cycling authors and stories around is good and all but I feel like they don't give enough time to a lot of them - an issue of a comic can fit in a whole lot less than even a 30 minute episode of television, and yet even single-season TV shows end up with more entire episodes than you have issues. It feels like you just start to know the characters and then suddenly it's already over.

I'm a fairly new comic reader myself (started this January), and my inference is that comic book readership has been on the decline since the 00s, so publishers can't afford to keep putting out a book that isn't selling very well. Some are perfectly fine comics that never got an audience due to low name recognition. Sucks but that's how things are nowadays. (I mean, X-Man ran for 75 issues back in the 90s!)

That, and modern comic book storytelling is more on "writing for the trade", that is, story arcs are intended to be collected and read in TPBs. Comics used to be a lot more compressed. (A classic example is Spider-Man's origin in Amazing Fantasy vs Ultimate Spider-Man, which told the same thing in 6 issues). Someone set me straight on this though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm a fairly new comic reader myself (started this January), and my inference is that comic book readership has been on the decline since the 00s, so publishers can't afford to keep putting out a book that isn't selling very well. Some are perfectly fine comics that never got an audience due to low name recognition. Sucks but that's how things are nowadays. (I mean, X-Man ran for 75 issues back in the 90s!)

That, and modern comic book storytelling is more on "writing for the trade", that is, story arcs are intended to be collected and read in TPBs. Comics used to be a lot more compressed. (A classic example is Spider-Man's origin in Amazing Fantasy vs Ultimate Spider-Man, which told the same thing in 6 issues). Someone set me straight on this though.

Relaunches have been a big thing for 15 years or so, basically when marketing people realized that a #1 sells a lot better than a #70, they started coming up with reasons to renumber. There was always the argument that new readers don't want to jump into a comic at #70 also, which probably has some validity though personally I never had that problem if I was interested in the comic itself, I started with FF#350 and Spider-man #360~, both of which I followed almost til #400 before my local store stopped carrying them. I actually like the renumbering more, I wish they'd do more to highlight the writer instead of volume numbers, but I like that its a bit easier to collect a full run of something that way. I like the idea of renumbering for each new writer.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, if they just made online versions of all comics accessible immediately and instantly at the same time as the physical copies, for the same or less price, actually advertised this service, and had guides on the website and/or in the comics themselves on good starting points for each series, instead of requiring research, I could see sales skyrocketing compared to what they have now. Hell, isn't Ms. Marvel selling by the truckload and almost all of it's digital sales? Maybe throw in some freely downloadable issue #1s of big series to get people hooked.

I can't ever really see myself actually ever regularly going to a comic book store in person to buy a single week's worth of books. TPBs sometimes maybe, but even then I'd prefer it digitally and would probably just snag end up snagging it over Amazon anyway if it had to be physical.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 1, 2014

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They do do all that. Even heard a radio ad talking about All New X-Factor and Moon Knight. Comics just aren't the boyhood staple they used to be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Die Laughing posted:

They do do all that. Even heard a radio ad talking about All New X-Factor and Moon Knight. Comics just aren't the boyhood staple they used to be.

Not in any meaningful fashion. Advertising and online is definitely barely focused on. Especially if the radio is what they are using as their advertising tool. DC had a couple commercials around the relaunch, but that stopped pretty quickly.

Though apparently marvel is doing something towards getting comics back into convenience stores, so that might change.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

I can't ever really see myself actually ever regularly going to a comic book store in person to buy a single week's worth of books. TPBs sometimes maybe, but even then I'd prefer it digitally and would probably just snag end up snagging it over Amazon anyway if it had to be physical.

You're just not buying enough books then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I much prefer digital comics and wish it was day and date, which sucks because I WISH I preferred comic shops because it was a place I love to go and get lost in and I could spend hours and hours in one. But for various reasons, owning physical comics is really inconvenient and also, I actually prefer reading on my computer or ipad.

I'd pay more for a day and date version of marvel universe, whereas the 99 cents was a waste of money for the service as is.

E: I guess this is a derail, apologies.

• Locked thread