Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

devlog uncovered (1/703)

Toady One posted:

Some similar issues handled today:

Made genuine retreat and alarm state more separate from each other (being alarmed was being equated with flight for morale)
Stopped certain old conflicts from causing alarm
Made extra-sensory creatures even less perturbable by critters sensed through layers of rock
Fixed problem allow the player to become invisible among many units even when clearly visible

I wonder how many times Toady had to look at vampires climbing trees in terror again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Has/can anyone compile DFHack for .09 ? I really want to use prospect and digv, but the bug fixes for 09 are invaluable to me.

edit: for Windows

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Nah, there's been a bunch of changes to the basic structure. Just stamping on a new hash isn't going to do it this time.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
What is the easiest way to reclaim a fort? I've spent a whole ton of time unforbidding hundreds of items strewn everywhere and the place is still a mess.

For content: - The fort fell after a werebadger arrived right outside my fort as 15 children were having a party. The children mobbed the werebadger for enough time for backup to arrive and it turned back into a man before someone kicked its face off. Thought 'Phew that was a close one' until next full moon when half of the children turned into monsters and ran amok. Everyone got upset. I dug a pit and put the remaining children in there just incase but it was too late.

Now on reclaim there's tons of ghosts and mess everywhere.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

scamtank posted:

Made genuine retreat and alarm state more separate from each other (being alarmed was being equated with flight for morale)

Is that the "flees in terror from anything" bug?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

canepazzo posted:

Is that the "flees in terror from anything" bug?

Yeah, I haven't had my guys freaking out like idiots anymore, it's actually pretty cool.

E: The refuse piles filled with goblin corpses still scares quite a few invaders off though, now pretty much only the hardened dudes hang around and it's very cool.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I've never played this before, but I was looking into it now that Gnomoria isn't complicated enough for me anymore. Is the current version stable enough to not scare off a newbie, do you think?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

Nah, there's been a bunch of changes to the basic structure. Just stamping on a new hash isn't going to do it this time.

I'm using dfhack with 40.09, though? Granted that's on os x, but still.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Are we about due for another grand succession LP on these forums or is Bronzestabbed meant to be the final one ever and we're all tired of them? Or am I missing one somewhere?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

I'm using dfhack with 40.09, though? Granted that's on os x, but still.

Dang, that might be out of my league then. df-structures has been updated lately with stuff pointing to that, but combining multiple depositories' worth into a single compile is too much for me.

Espilae posted:

Are we about due for another grand succession LP on these forums or is Bronzestabbed meant to be the final one ever and we're all tired of them? Or am I missing one somewhere?

Like with version 34, we're waiting for the bug fixing to die down and utility compatibility to stabilize and everybody to get to grips with the new poo poo before bothering with the undertaking.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 23, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also kind of hoping Toady fixes the "invaders always win" off-screen battles so that we can have a succession world rather than just a fortress. That's a bit pie-in-the-sky for this release set though, there's probably complicated reasons he set it up that way.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That goes both ways, though. Civs can reclaim and liberate sites just as easily after they fall.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

scamtank posted:

That goes both ways, though. Civs can reclaim and liberate sites just as easily after they fall.

Oh sure, it just means the fortress won't be how you left it when you come back.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Nolanar posted:

I've never played this before, but I was looking into it now that Gnomoria isn't complicated enough for me anymore. Is the current version stable enough to not scare off a newbie, do you think?

I'd stick with 0.34 (the last stable release) if you're new. The newest version doesn't really add much of anything that you'd care about and you'll be spending enough time learning the game that by the time 0.40 is stable/mod supported, you'll have most things figured out.

There's enough stuff in the game for a new player to have to figure out without worrying about coaxing dwarves down from trees or micromanaging stray body parts and rodent carcasses.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Catts posted:

I'd stick with 0.34 (the last stable release) if you're new. The newest version doesn't really add much of anything that you'd care about and you'll be spending enough time learning the game that by the time 0.40 is stable/mod supported, you'll have most things figured out.

There's enough stuff in the game for a new player to have to figure out without worrying about coaxing dwarves down from trees or micromanaging stray body parts and rodent carcasses.

Just to counterpoint this, the new version actually has made several things a great deal easier than I remember. Wood is extremely plentiful now that multitile trees are a thing, and I found it's much much easier to find a viable embark with lots of minerals/flux/water/whatever in this version due to a few changes.

Coaxing dwarfs out of trees just needs an axe on the trunk(and happens pretty rarely), and the fear of bodyparts has been scaled back in the latest release 40.09 to the point it's pretty realistic.

Just get the Lazy Newb Pack for your system, gives you the essential Dwarf Therapist for your OS, and will also include some embark profiles to simplify your start and some tilesets to stop your eyes bleeding until they grow proper DF callouses.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm not seeing an abundance of minerals at all. In my current fort I had to dig down about 25-30 levels to find any ore, and it was tetrahedrite. That's all there was until I got to the lava sea.

Additionally frustrating, I'm seeing lots of caverns that are super tall, and then when you finally find the bottom there's no water or plants.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm not seeing an abundance of minerals at all. In my current fort I had to dig down about 25-30 levels to find any ore, and it was tetrahedrite. That's all there was until I got to the lava sea.

Additionally frustrating, I'm seeing lots of caverns that are super tall, and then when you finally find the bottom there's no water or plants.

Whats the mineral frequency?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crimson Harvest posted:

The default mineral frequency is sparse, you have to pick a more generous one when you generate the world.

Is your current fort in the mountains? The "bottom" of the world is fixed, so if you embark in a swamp or by the ocean the magma could be 100 levels down, while in the mountains it could be twice that. With more room to fill, the caverns can be bigger. (If you are a new player don't embark on the beach though, ocean wildlife is tricky to deal with.) Swamps are great, low lying land and they often contain pond turtles for an easy source of shells.

Dashticle posted:

Just to counterpoint this, the new version actually has made several things a great deal easier than I remember. Wood is extremely plentiful now that multitile trees are a thing, and I found it's much much easier to find a viable embark with lots of minerals/flux/water/whatever in this version due to a few changes.

It's mostly good stuff, the difficulty curve seems borked though. I'm getting A Vile Force of Darkness with iron weapons and iron helms/breastplates in my first year. Just one squad, but that's still impossible to deal with if all you have is 11 civilians with picks and axes. At that point all I can do is lock the front door and wait for them to wander off after a few months. So far the first squad to invade hasn't had building destroyers, so a locked door is enough to block them, but it is still annoying to deal with.

I was also getting necromancers the first year, the first one showed up before the dwarf caravan with an iron armed and armored zombie in tow. Fffff. That's when I turned off Secrets entirely, FU necromancers.

Newbies: If you are trying DF for the first time, or for the first time in a long while, you may want to turn use "Invaders: NO" setting in the DF starter pack for your first game. Trying to figure out the interface is hard enough without getting invaders that are literally impossible to beat in the early game. You can later turn invaders back on in the same game, when you are ready to ramp up the challenge.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

The default mineral frequency is sparse, you have to pick a more generous one when you generate the world.

Is your current fort in the mountains? The "bottom" of the world is fixed, so if you embark in a swamp or by the ocean the magma could be 100 levels down, while in the mountains it could be twice that. With more room to fill, the caverns can be bigger. (If you are a new player don't embark on the beach though, ocean wildlife is tricky to deal with.) Swamps are great, low lying land and they often contain pond turtles for an easy source of shells.

I didn't adjust mineral scarcity on the world generation screen, I'll regen and try again.

I'm settled in a mostly-flat river valley (an actual river not a stream). I don't recall if it's near or in mountainous terrain, but it doesn't seem like it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Espilae posted:

I'm going to start a Masterwork one I think but that's not going to be for a while. Like Scamtank said it'll be some time before the version is stable and everything is updated enough to bother.

I don't like that undeads can use weapons... I feel like as a zombie with a rotting body you shouldn't have the fine motor control nor the mental acumen to use a crossbow effectively. Armor is fine obviously and I even don't really have a problem with wild swinging of the weapon they were holding when they became undead, but when an undead is fighting with the skills they had when they were alive then it becomes OP.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Long story short, people got too good at dwarf fortress to make entertaining LPs anymore, and toady fixed a lot of the more amusing bugs. A good example would be the whole elephant fiasco in boatmurdered. Proper defences and a few crossbows would have made the problem disapear but due to years of mismanagement and people not really figuring out the best way to deal with it (forbidding EVERYTHING every dead dwarf is wearing + carved fortifications with crossbows) the elephant plague persisted well into boatmurdereds life.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drone_Fragger posted:

Long story short, people got too good at dwarf fortress to make entertaining LPs anymore, and toady fixed a lot of the more amusing bugs. A good example would be the whole elephant fiasco in boatmurdered. Proper defences and a few crossbows would have made the problem disapear but due to years of mismanagement and people not really figuring out the best way to deal with it (forbidding EVERYTHING every dead dwarf is wearing + carved fortifications with crossbows) the elephant plague persisted well into boatmurdereds life.

That's kind of my issue, I manage to make my forts super secure and not threatened by anything; multiple gates, lava traps, minecart traps, etc.

I plan on using DFhack tricks to seed the map with surprises before I hand it off to the next overseer though. That will at least make it somewhat entertaining I think (You can do some neat things with revflood for example). I'm also kicking around an idea involving making a fort for adventurers to explore. The next in line for succession starts an adventurer and navigates the fortress and all the devious shenanigans I can think of and then makes his own fort for the next person in line and so on. Put a masterwork adamantine weapon at the endpoint or something as a prize.

It'd be important to toe the line between making the exploration challenging but not 'here's some bullshit trap that you have no way of accounting for and now you're soaked in magma GG.'

I'm really leaning towards trying the latter instead of a typical succession fort, but either way I'm waiting for Masterwork to get updated to 40.xx so I have a couple months to think of ideas.

Some !science! will have to be done too, to determine what exactly will and won't stay put, and the best way to abandon or retire the fort so it can be explored without there being 80 dwarves running around ruining the spooky experience.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 24, 2014

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Masterwork is at least interesting for LPs because of all the nasty crap it can pull on you, which makes it good for LPs where otherwise everyone is too good at the game.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

BING BONG MAIL TIME

Toady One posted:

Additional fixed stuff:

Fixed crash that could happen when refugee rumors were created
Fixed crash from visiting former player fortress with adventurer if certain army is present
Stopped erroneous conflicts between certain hunting creatures
Removed obsolete relieved/drafted thoughts
Stopped creatures with multiple attacks like hydra from stacking attack modifiers incorrectly
Stopped shared/wrestled items from being used for block/parry
Adjusted 'v' menu location for window height (so it wouldn't overwrite certain lists, etc.)
Fixed a few typos causing double periods in personality paragraphs

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013

I have to agree with the comments, this doesn't really feel like a bug at all. The only problem is you can't (to my knowledge) make a woodcutter wear a helmet because of uniform conflicts.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Drone_Fragger posted:

Masterwork is at least interesting for LPs because of all the nasty crap it can pull on you, which makes it good for LPs where otherwise everyone is too good at the game.

You can disable all the nasty crap though.

Honestly a multi-race, single fort LP would be hilarious. By the third time the fort was annihilated it'd be such an insane death trap that Boatmurdered would look tame by comparison. Especially if gnomes got involved.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
For those wondering then the .40 LP is gonna be, be patient. I'll start it when I feel the version is stable enough.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

quote:

YES? :dance:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Yeah that poo poo it really annoying, glad it'll be gone.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Danny Glands posted:

For those wondering then the .40 LP is gonna be, be patient. I'll start it when I feel the version is stable enough.

Oh, you're going to do that, too? How many is that, like seven .40 DF LPs at once?

Mine will be the best. It'll feature Grey Hunter and Bad Munki taking alternate turns to reenact the entire first three seasons of DF Gladiator Challenge thread...

...in Spanish!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And I speak fantastico espanol.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Archonex posted:

You can disable all the nasty crap though.

Honestly a multi-race, single fort LP would be hilarious. By the third time the fort was annihilated it'd be such an insane death trap that Boatmurdered would look tame by comparison. Especially if gnomes got involved.

I've suggested an adventurer world LP which is multi-player, multi-fort. Each person gets a real-time week to do whatever they want; as much time can pass as they want, they can do whatever they please, but at the end of the week, the fort needs to not exist anymore. Precisely how doesn't matter, simple abandon, succumbed to a siege, opened up hell and got overrun by demons, whatever. Fun needs to be had.

Then the save's posted and the next person goes and does their fortress while everyone else in the thread posts trip reports to the forts in Adventurer Mode. It stays fairly fresh because 50 years in Fort B means Fort A could've become infested by God only knows what, it provides enough time for everyone to do the crazy things they want to do, and also opens up some more dynamics on architecture; I don't think too many forts will have been made with the express idea of murdering the hell out of adventurers who come around.

Thus far nobody's thought it's a good enough idea to give it a shot though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TildeATH posted:

Oh, you're going to do that, too? How many is that, like seven .40 DF LPs at once?

Mine will be the best. It'll feature Grey Hunter and Bad Munki taking alternate turns to reenact the entire first three seasons of DF Gladiator Challenge thread...

...in Spanish!

Well mine is going to be entirely in Khuzdul :colbert:

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Coolguye posted:

I don't think too many forts will have been made with the express idea of murdering the hell out of adventurers who come around.

You're underestimating people. Of course mine won't simply be a hall of spike traps on a minecart circuit, it'll be... better. :black101:

Coolguye posted:

Thus far nobody's thought it's a good enough idea to give it a shot though.

I'm totally for it, once DF2014's a little more stable.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bad Munki posted:

And I speak fantastico espanol.

Meanwhile, I barely speak English.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Angela Christine posted:

It's mostly good stuff, the difficulty curve seems borked though. I'm getting A Vile Force of Darkness with iron weapons and iron helms/breastplates in my first year. Just one squad, but that's still impossible to deal with if all you have is 11 civilians with picks and axes. At that point all I can do is lock the front door and wait for them to wander off after a few months. So far the first squad to invade hasn't had building destroyers, so a locked door is enough to block them, but it is still annoying to deal with.

It depends on your world. I picked a short history for my forts so far (just because my notebook takes ages to load bigger/longer ones) and so far from my Goblin invasions it looks like they've only figured copper and leather out, or one or two silver weapons. I may well be the only site producing iron and steel, which is pretty cool. However my Year one invasion I did not have an equipped militia, but the cage traps I had scattered round the entrance more or less dealt with the gobbos.

Cage traps are basically guaranteed to catch goblin (especially year 1) invaders, and its very easy to get them to go where you want by just leaving doors open or sending out a dwarf. (Worth noting Goblins don't get spooked by watching their mates get captured like they do seeing them die so you might have to deal with one or two of them the old fashioned way after caging most of them, just to get them to break).

Still possible to have a werebeast show up and just run through and wreck your poo poo though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I think by default dwarves are the only ones capable of producing steel anyway so goblins don't usually have it unless they picked it up from dead dwarves or something. The goblins that attack my fort definitely have plenty of iron weapons/armor but they still get slaughtered by my steel equipped army. In a fight that was 30 of us vs 47 of them they killed one dwarf(a marksman who went off on her own and got stabbed in the face by the last two goblins) and got totally wiped out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:siren:

quote:

Bay 12 Games ‏@Bay12Games 7 min

DF 0.40.10 is up at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves
+Morale -Stuck birds -Teleportation
Failing to wrestle elephant now less instructive
:siren:

quote:

08/24/2014 Toady One: Here is another round of fixes. Note that for morale fixes in old saves there could be some persistent alarm data that causes people to continue to run for a bit, even for a few in-game hours in some cases, so you might need to let things work themselves out.

Major bug fixes

Fixed crash that could happen when refugee rumors were created
Fixed crash from visiting former player fortress with adventurer if certain army is present
Fixed crash related to surgery
Fixed crash that happened when it considered certain units in play for succession
Stopped a conversation crash from talking to mute creatures about their troubles
Allowed flying/climbing wilderness critters to work their way off the map
Fixed problem allow the player to become invisible among many units even when clearly visible
Made running away in terror/fear respect only valid combat location information
Stopped certain old conflicts from causing alarm
Made people that are attacked briefly have some knowledge of attacker's position
Stopped certain jobs from being able to teleport items and engage in other action-at-a-distance antics
Stopped necromancer towers from doing various inappropriate townish things that lead to tower proliferation etc.
Fixed some reclaim/unretire bugs involving unavailable seeds
Adjusted projectile firing speed which became broken during wagon fix

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Adjusted emotional strain vs. willpower etc. calculation
Made non-extra-sensory creatures also respect z coord of potential targets
Fixed a pathing lag associated to mood dwarves not being able to get to their buildings
Added stockpile option for cut stones
Made extra-sensory creatures even less perturbable by critters sensed through layers of rock
Stopped erroneous conflicts between certain hunting creatures
Stopped shared/wrestled items from being used for block/parry
Stopped creatures with multiple attacks like hydra from stacking attack modifiers incorrectly
Made attacker always look at target upon initiating attack
Ordered farm plot plant lists by seed availability/name
Lowered cap for wrestle skill gain so it wouldn't be hit triple digits attacking large opponents
Removed double entry of "slabs" from stocks screen
Adjusted 'v' menu location for window height (so it wouldn't overwrite certain lists, etc.)
Fixed a few typos causing double periods in personality paragraphs

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dang. He's been putting out weekly releases for the last six versions in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Things are getting better and better! I may actually try fortress mode now! :v: