Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

2house2fly posted:

I can never forgive the dinosaur being the size of Big Ben though. That's just a ludicrous size for a dinosaur.

Arrrrrrrgh, why is that something you would focus on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah. There was the framework of a decent story in it, but by god did it need a good editor.

You could cut a good half hour from it and end up a with much tighter, more focused and overall better episode.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Majorian posted:

Arrrrrrrgh, why is that something you would focus on?

Dinosaurs weren't that big. If bad writing or bad acting can spoil a tv show then I don't see why it should get away with bad dinosaurfeel.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I just thought of it as Godzilla in my mind and then it didn't bother me anymore.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Dinosaurs weren't that big. If bad writing or bad acting can spoil a tv show then I don't see why it should get away with bad dinosaurfeel.

Dinosaurs also didn't evolve into reptilian humanoids in the real world.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
And if it had been a giant reptilian humanoid or some kind of alien that was the size of Big Ben that would be a different matter. They explicitly say it was a dinosaur though, and dinosaurs weren't that big.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

2house2fly posted:

And if it had been a giant reptilian humanoid or some kind of alien that was the size of Big Ben that would be a different matter. They explicitly say it was a dinosaur though, and dinosaurs weren't that big.

Yes, but preconceptions about what dinosaurs are supposed to be like are meaningless in the context of a world that already differs by having reptilian humanoids.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

mind the walrus posted:

Jesus. Different strokes I know but Doctor Who fandom really does have no central axis of reference.

I have a feeling my joking post on this comedy forum went over your head.

thexerox123 posted:

But then who secretly controls the New World Order in the present?

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah. There was the framework of a decent story in it, but by god did it need a good editor.

You could cut a good half hour from it and end up a with much tighter, more focused and overall better episode.

Sometimes I wonder why have these extended episodes.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

mind the walrus posted:

Jesus. Different strokes I know but Doctor Who fandom really does have no central axis of reference.

I have a feeling my joking post on this comedy forum went over your head.

thexerox123 posted:

But then who secretly controls the New World Order in the present?

Mokinokaro posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I enjoyed this episode. It was definitely disjointed, and I agree with the comments that it was too long (seriously, WAY too much "throat-clearing," to quote the AV Club, in the first half-hour), but it was still "sufficiently fun" for me, which is probably the most important poorly-defined criterion behind my enjoyment of an episode. Peter Capaldi's great, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of what he brings to the role.

Clara's obviously been horrifically misused since she actually become the Companion, but I felt like this episode was more of a step in the right direction. She's best when she's full of piss and vinegar ("Asylum of the Daleks"), not when she's just constantly out of her depth. She felt more like a not-dumb, not-unfunny version of Donna Noble, who was terrible and anybody who thinks she was a good companion is so very, very wrong. (e: also, people who complain about Moffat being a misogynist writer really need to go back and look at episodes like "The Runaway Bride," because RTD is no better)

I also don't give a poo poo about the size of the dinosaur, so that apparently helps in my enjoyment.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 24, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

2house2fly posted:

Like... you realize this is not a documentary, right? I feel like this world has already veered far enough away from ours that they no longer have any responsibility to stay true to our world's history. You don't have to look to the size of the beast, it's already historically inaccurate to begin with when they say there was a T Rex in Victorian London. Like, that never actually happened, why not complain about that?

They also explicitly have someone who was around with the dinosaurs in the vastly different alternate world of Doctor Who directly testify that in fact, dinosaurs were that big in that universe.

I feel like you're not that far away from complaining that Queen Victoria never actually fought with werewolves or established the Torchwood Institute to deal with space aliens, so it's inaccurate to portray history that way in the show.

(That's not to say that the episode wasn't bad, it was still pretty bad, but there's nothing wrong with that dinosaur's size)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 24, 2014

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

XboxPants posted:

They also explicitly have someone who was around with the dinosaurs in the vastly different alternate world of Doctor Who directly testify that in fact, dinosaurs were that big in that universe.

(...there's nothing wrong with that dinosaur's size)

Just for emphasis sake.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't think it's something worth getting bugged by, but it's definitely a poor choice to do things like that given that many kids are obsessed with dinosaurs and will know full well how it they were.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The dinosaur was that big so everyone could see it burst into flames despite it being miles away.

I mean, that's literally why.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Szmitten posted:

The dinosaur was that big so everyone could see it burst into flames despite it being miles away.

I mean, that's literally why.

Nope, it's so the Tardis could get stuck in it's throat. It serves no purpose except for that gag, and it's quick death to get into the main plot is literally just to push it out of the way so the episode can proceed.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Like I said in the other thread, it seemed like the dinosaur was the first idea that Moffat came up with for this episode and he just ran with it.

Actually the entire episode screams "oh gently caress this script is due tomorrow better get started". Cause there were some very good ideas, they just needed a fuckton of revision.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PassTheRemote posted:

Last season I felt like one or two 2-parters would've helped the stories immensely, but then I realized Moffat's bad about picking which scripts get that treatment. I mean Cold War could've been excellent if it was a two parter. Use the first one to let the audience get to know the crew and slowly build the tension so we actually care somewhat when the ice warrior starts killing them off.

Moffatt really needs a script editor that can tell him when a story needs tightened up or when it needs room to breathe. The biggest issues of his seasons are pacing related.

kant
May 12, 2003

XboxPants posted:

(That's not to say that the episode wasn't bad, it was still pretty bad, but there's nothing wrong with that dinosaur's size)

Obviously, the size of the dinosaur isn't really a huge issue and it's hardly the worst thing in this episode. But to anyone who's more familiar with dinosaurs it just looked really bad.

It's like seeing a dog walk by a house who's too tall to fit in the front door. I for one didn't decide to get annoyed by it but it did make me cringe and think "eh is this some mutant space dinosaur or something?! Oh I guess not.. That's silly big, oh well".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

kant posted:

It's like seeing a dog walk by a house who's too tall to fit in the front door.

It's like seeing a dog walk by a house and it's bigger than the house

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

kant posted:

Obviously, the size of the dinosaur isn't really a huge issue and it's hardly the worst thing in this episode. But to anyone who's more familiar with dinosaurs it just looked really bad.

It's like seeing a dog walk by a house who's too tall to fit in the front door. I for one didn't decide to get annoyed by it but it did make me cringe and think "eh is this some mutant space dinosaur or something?! Oh I guess not.. That's silly big, oh well".

Clearly it is a british issue. I didn't notice anything wrong with it, because I have no idea how big the Big Ben is.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

adhuin posted:

Clearly it is a british issue. I didn't notice anything wrong with it, because I have no idea how big the Big Ben is.

It's not about 5 meters tall, which is how tall a T-rex was :science:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was probably an alien T-rex from the distant past of a planet where everything is bigger. :v:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

It was probably an alien T-rex from the distant past of a planet where everything is bigger. :v:

Alternatively, only stupid, stunted dinosaurs fell into tar pits.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is America, pal. Get out of here with your screwy measurements.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It could have been ironic name, like Little John!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

Alternatively, only stupid, stunted dinosaurs fell into tar pits.

It's a mutant T-rex. A member of the T-reX-Men.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Listen is a good episode, and surprisingly well directed by Mackinnon. I didn't like his previous efforts, but he apparently does well with low-key stuff.

Moffat needs to stick to these small character based stories.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

While I liked Listen, where it mainly involved some well written time travel shenanigans, the ending which further inserts Clara into The Doctors past even more than necessary spoiled what could have been a great episode for me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Why the gently caress are people still tagging spoilers in the loving spoiler thread?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Toxxupation posted:

At this point, Moffat has been two for two on crafting female characters who are independent and free from the sexist stereotypes surrounding most-to-all other female characters on Doctor Who. I mean, heck, in this case he designed a character that was explicitly a rival for Rose's affections and still wrote Rose incredibly well. Again, that scene between Reinette and Rose was genuinely great and service both characters incredibly well.

I thought this was a funny line from Occupation's run-through of "Girl in the Fireplace," given Moffat's problems with misogyny in nearly all his scripts since becoming showrunner.

nexas posted:

While I liked Listen, where it mainly involved some well written time travel shenanigans, the ending which further inserts Clara into The Doctors past even more than necessary spoiled what could have been a great episode for me.

I feel the exact same way. Great episode til that needless moment.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't actually want to read the leaked scripts (don't think it would give me an accurate picture of the episodes), but how much does Missy feature in any of them? Are there any hints as to who she is?
I really want her to be a Time Lord, since it'd be cool for the Doctor to have to fight another Time Lord other than The Master or Rassilon. Although, hell, she could be the Master, warped by however they managed to survive the events of The End of Time Pt. 2. Someone said they didn't think it was likely because that wasn't the Doctor and the Master's relationship, but for one thing, it's been documented that in real life when people undergo gender transition, their sexual preferences can change. If Missy is the Master, maybe obsession and loathing has sort of turned into hate-love?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Spatula City posted:

I don't actually want to read the leaked scripts (don't think it would give me an accurate picture of the episodes), but how much does Missy feature in any of them? Are there any hints as to who she is?
I really want her to be a Time Lord, since it'd be cool for the Doctor to have to fight another Time Lord other than The Master or Rassilon. Although, hell, she could be the Master, warped by however they managed to survive the events of The End of Time Pt. 2. Someone said they didn't think it was likely because that wasn't the Doctor and the Master's relationship, but for one thing, it's been documented that in real life when people undergo gender transition, their sexual preferences can change. If Missy is the Master, maybe obsession and loathing has sort of turned into hate-love?

What?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Saying that transition would make the Master's (Mistress's?) sexual orientation change is implying the Master was straight in the first place. :v:

The fact that the last two trans characters on Doctor Who were skin on a frame and a horse, and that Moffat can't write women to save his life, makes me hope that she isn't the Master.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Missy only features in the second episode, and there's a reference to The Promised Land in the third. I don't think she'll feature that heavily until the second half of the series.

Also, I'm going to say that Danny Pink is probably the best new character in ages. It's kinda sad that I'm so happy we get a fully fleshed out, three dimensional character right off the bat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Too bad it looks like he's a cyberman by series' end.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Also, I'm going to say that Danny Pink is probably the best new character in ages. It's kinda sad that I'm so happy we get a fully fleshed out, three dimensional character right off the bat.

Rory's pretty 3D as well. It's almost as if being a male character has an effect on how well you're portrayed!

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
So, is that the last of the workprint episodes released now?

Also, I'm guessing that the Neversphere is Gallifrey. Although that almost seems too obvious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The garden looked like the Eye of Orion. All wet and post-storm.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

toochilled posted:

So, is that the last of the workprint episodes released now?

Also, I'm guessing that the Neversphere is Gallifrey. Although that almost seems too obvious.

Supposedly episode 6 was on the server also, but it hasn't surfaced anywhere.

Take it with a shaky grain of salt, but one of the more trusted spoiler hounds over at GB is saying that the Missy = Clara theories are on the right track.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The new intro was an adapted fan made video

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28871058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
So they are making this thing for 5 pounds and a pack of crisps now?

• Locked thread