Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Plus_Infinity posted:

I have two neighbors who were impressed with my food at a neighborhood cookout and just emailed me asking if I'd consider making some meals for them on a regular basis, as I guess they hate to cooks. I'm not sure if it would be for lunches just for them, or dinners for them and their families, but they both live with just one other person, so it would be cooking for 4 max.

Cooking is my favorite hobby and I don't think that tripling a dinner recipe a couple times a week would be that much extra work (I'd buy more at the grocery store, but it wouldn't involve extra trips, and cutting extra veggies and such would probably be an extra hour or so per meal). It sounds like something I'd be open to, and might actually be pretty fun, but I don't really know if there's a bunch of stuff I'm not thinking of, and have no idea how to price it (or at what price it would be worth it to me to do).

What do you guys think? Would you do it? What kinds of meals would you propose and at what prices? I'm 95% vegan (use backyard free range eggs sometimes, but no meat or dairy whatsoever) and they want healthy, so grocery prices would be for veggies, whole grains, etc. but nothing too crazy and no meat.

(This is in Chester county, PA if you need any idea of the area, and these are very rich horse ladies)

What's your time worth to you? Someone from the business side of a restaurant might be better equipped to help you determine a price, but I want to say that the cost of ingredients should be something like 1/3 of what you charge for a plate of food. If a burger costs $3.00 in ingredients, you'd charge $9.00. Granted, you probably don't have the overhead that a restaurant has (Heating, electric, rent, water), but that can be an idea of what to charge. Always keep in mind what your time is worth too.

This may sound obvious, but are they aware that you don't prepare meat? They may have liked what they tried at the cookout, but if they are under the impression that you cook anything/everything, they may be disappointed. Along those same lines, would you give them a choice in what is being made, or would you just make a triple batch of what ever and bring that over say, Monday night?

As for if I would do it or not, I don't generally cook for people other than family or friends, and for me, it's a rigorous planning, prepping, don't talk to me, working, cooking, breathe kind of thing. I just get really focused, but it wouldn't be too hard for me to add an additional serving or two to what I cook most nights. My only issue is that I would feel so guilty if I had to duck out or skip making a meal when someone was counting on me. So I guess I'd add some sort of 4 hour notice thing that cuts both ways. If you don't feel well the day you are set to make dinner for them, tell them ASAP and work out when you could make it up. Likewise, if they have to cancel, they should tell you so you can adjust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

What's your time worth to you? Someone from the business side of a restaurant might be better equipped to help you determine a price, but I want to say that the cost of ingredients should be something like 1/3 of what you charge for a plate of food. If a burger costs $3.00 in ingredients, you'd charge $9.00. Granted, you probably don't have the overhead that a restaurant has (Heating, electric, rent, water), but that can be an idea of what to charge. Always keep in mind what your time is worth too.

This may sound obvious, but are they aware that you don't prepare meat? They may have liked what they tried at the cookout, but if they are under the impression that you cook anything/everything, they may be disappointed. Along those same lines, would you give them a choice in what is being made, or would you just make a triple batch of what ever and bring that over say, Monday night?

As for if I would do it or not, I don't generally cook for people other than family or friends, and for me, it's a rigorous planning, prepping, don't talk to me, working, cooking, breathe kind of thing. I just get really focused, but it wouldn't be too hard for me to add an additional serving or two to what I cook most nights. My only issue is that I would feel so guilty if I had to duck out or skip making a meal when someone was counting on me. So I guess I'd add some sort of 4 hour notice thing that cuts both ways. If you don't feel well the day you are set to make dinner for them, tell them ASAP and work out when you could make it up. Likewise, if they have to cancel, they should tell you so you can adjust.

Yeah, they know I'm veg, but obviously I'd clarify with them what they want/expect before we agree to anything.

I think the only way I'd be willing to do it is if they get 1 or 2 meals a week of whatever I decide to make (but I'd take any dietary/allergy issues into consideration obviously and not make anything that will kill them), and maybe add in some baked good or something for extra if they want it (like some breakfast muffins, or a loaf of bread). I'm thinking something like $20/hr for cooking/ planning plus grocery costs?

Definitely a good point about making it clear how to cancel both ways. I would for sure want to be able to cancel if I'm not up to it. I work full time so I want to be very careful that I'm not overextending myself!

All that said, I think it would be a fun challenge, and would give me a good bit of extra spending money if I price it right.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Fucccck me. Cutting celery into a fine dice. Chewing on half the stalk. Fibrous as gently caress. Turn head to spit out unchewable mess like a uncivilized animal.... while still chopping... into my thumb through the nail.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

$100 for a dinner for 4 easily.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

$100 for a dinner for 4 easily.

Yeah I saw some $20/meal/person numbers thrown out on some websites I found.

Obviously this is under the table and I have zero operating costs but I also can't buy things in bulk/at restaurant prices so maybe it evens out?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Plus_Infinity posted:

Yeah I saw some $20/meal/person numbers thrown out on some websites I found.

Obviously this is under the table and I have zero operating costs but I also can't buy things in bulk/at restaurant prices so maybe it evens out?

Let's say you spend $30-something on food. You've got your time and expertise, etc.

Even if they bought the food and you just cooked it up for $40, here's the next problem: They refer some friends to you, and they're expecting the same price.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Let's say you spend $30-something on food. You've got your time and expertise, etc.

Even if they bought the food and you just cooked it up for $40, here's the next problem: They refer some friends to you, and they're expecting the same price.

I don't think I'd cook for any additional people unless it was like, a one-time party or something, as I have a full-time job which I love and which pays very well, so I don't want to spend more than 5 hours a week on this.

Ironically their email came right as I'm wrapping up another side job and as gardening season is winding down, so I'm like.. hmmm... I WAS looking for something else to do!

I might just be putting the cart before the horse though. It could be that they just want me to make them a side salad and a loaf of bread every once in a while. I'll keep you guys posted! Maybe it would make an interesting thread: What I Make Horse Ladies Eat This Week

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Plus_Infinity posted:

Maybe it would make an interesting thread: What I Make Horse Ladies Eat This Week

I'd be interested, but only if you are specifically catering to centaurs

:)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My woman has done some personal chef jobs, and she says always make them buy the ingredients.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartolimu posted:

There's only one legume that belongs in chili.

Young man I may allow you to post about willy-nilly without the niceties of capitalization and punctuation, but if you besmirch the reputation of the wines of Moravia again in my presence there will be blood.

I like moravian wine

just the stuff we were drinking was lovely. :( it came from one of those places where you bring in your own 2 liter plastic soda bottle and they just fill it up from a giant cask for 2 czechbucks or ruples or whatever the hell they use there god it's been a minute since I've been to that country

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Truth. My daughter is a picky eater and it frustrates me soooo much. The main wife and I struggled with her for years trying to get her to eat other foods outside of chicken fingers, spaghetti and popcorn but she grew up living with her mom (I used to only get her on the weekends) who didn't want to put any effort into cooking so she'd just buy her a happy meal or whatever for pretty much every. single. day.

I still get her to try new things but at this point it's almost a lost cause.

Croatoan posted:

Is anyone else a bit terrified to travel to foreign countries because you feel there's not much there you would eat? I love Japanese culture and am very interested in the country but I don't think I could ever visit there for any serious length of time due to the fact that I've never seen "Japanese Cuisine" I've been brave enough to put in my mouth...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder if there could (maybe) be some correlation here........ :allears:

also no, that sounds like basically a problem I can't even fathom. I travel to eat food I wouldn't otherwise eat, that's like 80% of the point. the other 20% being to see things I wouldn't otherwise see.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

I like moravian wine

just the stuff we were drinking was lovely. :( it came from one of those places where you bring in your own 2 liter plastic soda bottle and they just fill it up from a giant cask for 2 czechbucks or ruples or whatever the hell they use there god it's been a minute since I've been to that country

Supermarket wine in Moravia itself has gotten a lot better. It sells for about 30-40 crowns (exchange rate was 18 to $1 when I was there last year) per liter and is about equal in quality to a $50 bottle of Austrian gruner in the states.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartolimu posted:

Supermarket wine in Moravia itself has gotten a lot better. It sells for about 30-40 crowns (exchange rate was 18 to $1 when I was there last year) per liter and is about equal in quality to a $50 bottle of Austrian gruner in the states.

yeah - to be fair though, there's some insane grüner veltliner tax in the states though. I think I've posted back and forth with you about this before, but it's literally mostly just bum wine in germany - and I'm assuming Austria too. I drank way too much of it as a poor student.

that said, I definitely have enjoyed both grüner and the moravians I've had, even our 30 crown chuck.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mindphlux posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder if there could (maybe) be some correlation here........ :allears:

also no, that sounds like basically a problem I can't even fathom. I travel to eat food I wouldn't otherwise eat, that's like 80% of the point. the other 20% being to see things I wouldn't otherwise see.

You know that was a c/p from another person, not Croat, right?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

mindphlux posted:

but what do you eat when you don't travel

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I'm using up all of my ingredients so I don't have to deal with them while I move. A few days ago, I took every onion I had, about four large ones, and carmelized them for the first time.

We didn't both making the steak; it stayed in the fridge. Dinner was us just scooping the onions out directly from the pan with some good bread.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Casu Marzu posted:

You know that was a c/p from another person, not Croat, right?

:allears:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Folks, it's trolls all the way down. ALL the way.

contrapants posted:

I'm using up all of my ingredients so I don't have to deal with them while I move. A few days ago, I took every onion I had, about four large ones, and carmelized them for the first time.

We didn't both making the steak; it stayed in the fridge. Dinner was us just scooping the onions out directly from the pan with some good bread.

Sounds delicious, but how bad were the farts?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm at a Mexican restaurant (ugh) and I found chicken tenders and fries. Imagine how happy I was!
Then I notice they are on the kids menu. That's alright. .. then I notice the little part that says "12 and under. NO EXCEPTIONS" Why? If they are getting paid then who cares what age you are?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm at a Mexican restaurant (ugh) and I found chicken tenders and fries. Imagine how happy I was!
Then I notice they are on the kids menu. That's alright. .. then I notice the little part that says "12 and under. NO EXCEPTIONS" Why? If they are getting paid then who cares what age you are?

What a bunch of assholes.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I joined a picky eaters group on FB for the hell of it after this all started. The first post I see? "Okay so I am working on losing weight and becoming healthier. However I don't eat fruits and veggies. Literally."

I don't know how long I'll be able to put up with this.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm curious what the outcome of this was. Did the person order the chicken tenders anyway? Or did they end up having to eat something exotic like beans and rice (with a request for no onions/spices/vegetables, I assume)?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

esperantinc posted:

I joined a picky eaters group on FB for the hell of it after this all started. The first post I see? "Okay so I am working on losing weight and becoming healthier. However I don't eat fruits and veggies. Literally."

If it's the same group a lot of us are infiltrating, it will likely be the most hilarious and simultaneously the worst thing ever to happen to you on the internet.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I just can't imagine how much of a wet blanket these people are to go out with. That person probably bitched and moaned about going to a mexican restaurant so much before finally dragging their feet all the way there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eeyo posted:

I just can't imagine how much of a wet blanket these people are to go out with. That person probably bitched and moaned about going to a mexican restaurant so much before finally dragging their feet all the way there.

I dated a girl for a while who had shitloads of allergies and digestive problems - including to dairy and tomatoes. That was enough of a pain in the rear end to work around without it being arbitrary and juvenile.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sounds delicious, but how bad were the farts?

My wife absolutely hated me. I had to pick her up from a friend's house afterward, and the 1.5 hour car ride was not kind to her.

esperantinc posted:

This sounds like it needs a thread.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

esperantinc posted:

It takes the largest amount if restraint known to man to not make fun of them in their comments.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Doh004 posted:

It takes the largest amount if restraint known to man to not make fun of them in their comments.

While it's been fun to read, I actually left the group this weekend because it makes me irrationally angry. This was the post that made me finally give up. "So I need an impartial jury...my partner and I had an argument over my lacking ability to do dishes. My phobia makes me scared to touch other ppls dirty plates with disgusting food everywhere, it physically sends freezing chills thru my body at the thought of it. Therefore I can cook a dinner for 10ppl but can't clean up the dishes. He says that's rubbish and I'm just lazy.
Is anyone else like me and terrified of dishes and kitchens??????"

Asking a bunch of unique special snowflakes if you're a unique special snowflake is not what I'd call an "impartial jury". gently caress.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
So... This entire ALS ice bucket challenge thing has hit in Denmark too.

To tell this story I have to clarify that my daughters have to go through campus of the local university every day to get to school, and there they experience life from the perspective of hormonal 20somethings but through the eyes of pre-teens, which previously has led to interesting stories like the dong-sword fight.

Now the university students, who're all very adept within their respective field, I am sure, but who are socially somewhat backward, the same way that certain Norwegian villages are 'somewhat inbred', have discovered that they would take the ALS challenge, but why stop there.

So apparently they decided that doucing your head with ice cold water was insufficient, and that they better go straight for their private parts..

So the kids got to see a guy with a chubby pouring iced water into his shorts, lose the shorts, waddle away with his shorts around his ankles because he was embarrassed in front of a girl (who had inspired the chubby I am sure)...

The one thing that will remain with me is the statement that 'daddy, after the water his willy got really floppy and was bouncing up and down while he was waddling like a penguin'.

A 'lady' had apologized profusely on his behalf. ('Lady' because it is most likely some student of the ripe old age of 19 or 20).

My children are getting a rich education. :science:

I later got to explain when a penis was considered hard, and only at half mast, this exercise involving a goniometer.

I so enjoy dinner time.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 25, 2014

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Happy Hat posts are always worth the wait.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I love you HH.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't even fully parse that one, yet I approve.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Happy Hat posted:

goniometer.

Nordic ingenuity.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

I so enjoy dinner time.

Is it weird that it's stuff like this that I'm most looking forward to? One month and counting...

oh, and welcome back, H^H.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

This poo poo's just getting out of hand now.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I saw select london broil for 5.89/lb at the store today. Practically poo poo myself in rage/confusion.

Cheap poo poo is for chefs, how in the gently caress am I supposed to eat cheap?!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

This poo poo's just getting out of hand now.
Where's that from? The price doesn't seem to have gotten that crazy in places that make white people uncomfortable (carnicerías, Asian markets, halal butchers). Not yet anyway.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

Where's that from? The price doesn't seem to have gotten that crazy in places that make white people uncomfortable (carnicerías, Asian markets, halal butchers). Not yet anyway.

Cardenas. A local Mexican market chain.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Dude, lengua is like, $8/lb here in Austin. loving food hipsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus gently caress HOW? I need to ask the boyfriend what the prices are like at his Hispanic grocery by now. loving hipsters indeed.