Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Westy543 posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo they buffed membership to a permanent 25% off discount.

:homebrew:

This free to play 'buy stuff if you want to' version of MMOs certainly works on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I broke down and bought a membership a week or so ago to help my fresh TR guy get certed up, my VS has a day left on his last booster so the double XP weekend is working out well for him. Parked a shielded Sunderer at The Crown and then went off to a winnable fight elsewhere, non-stop stream of 45xp ticks coming in for over forty minutes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So battle buses are pretty good places to hang out when it's double exp weekend, especially when your driver is probably the best battle bus driver around:

AAAALLLSSSOOOOO!!!!1

:axe:A PRO'S E-PROSE OPS:axe:
:siren:COMING TO YOU LIVE TONIGHT (SUNDAY 8/24) AT 7PM EST, EMERALD NC, [GOON]:siren:
:dukedog:BE THERE OR PROBABLY BE DECIDEDLY RHOMBOID:dukedog:

I'll be leading this motley crue of bodacious dudes and dudettes around as we recite whatever we came up with in this last week! Great stuff from last week, let's see who can dethrone the reigning poet laureate, AdmiralSnuggles!

Hop in a GOON squad/ask for a platoon invite, everybody is welcome!

If you're gunshy about reading aloud, no worries! As the MC I'm more than happy to read aloud anything sent to me that's at least vaguely legitimate or on topic! NO I WILL NOT READ GALTSE.CX ALOUD NO I DON'T CARE IF IT'S LIKE TOTALLY NC.TXT NONE OF US HAVE THAT KIND OF TIME Just post it here, in the GOON thread in private game servers (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548237), or PM it to me if you're really shy or whatever!

For this week's image I googled the phrase "CRYING EAGLE BEAUTIFUL FREEDOM" and decided this was the best way to express the glory that is prose ops nights in GOON:

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 24, 2014

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Hit detection and server response time is so hosed right now, i jumped off a tower and it took 4 seconds for me to take fall damage. I'd put an entire clip of the MKV into someones chest and head and they would die while i reloaded.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Friendly reminder; Arghy lives in Hawaii (that place known for their great ISP selections) and plays on US east.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Repost from reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBiyQ6xooxI

Not perfect but does kind of sum up ps2 nicely.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty sure Patch Day for Arghy involves a portable hard drive and a round-trip flight.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd imagine Arghy has been given the best connection possible just to prevent him from ever calling customer service again

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Aug 24
Daily sale: M2 Mutilator / AF-23 Grinder / Cosmos VM3 (left)
Members sale: Mosquito M18 Locust / Reaver M20 Kestrel / Scythe Antares LC

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
We have an office in Hawaii and our own backbone, you can camp out front and use the wifi Arghy, probably jump up to ~30 ping.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I actually only get 150-200 ping normally and have since they started showing ping, the ping doesn't change at all its just random poo poo. Theres a video of an AC guy getting yelled at because some guy put 20 rounds into him on his screen.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Eonwe posted:

I can't see anything identifying the mouse pad, but they were selling Planetside mousepads for $10 apiece at SOE Live and it is honestly the best mousepad I've ever used.

I use big rear end M:TG playmats as mouse pads because they're so big. Drop mouse sensitivity to 0 and move my arm so much it looks like I'm pitching a baseball. Still have mouse pad room to spare :smug:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Arghy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VfOuJ93sIog

Fake but pretty much everyone who says mechanical keyboard, tell me about mechanical keyboards and fedoras.

As insufferable a shithead trees may be, the guy is a full blown autistic mechanical keyboard whisperer. He knows mechanical keyboards.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, but thankfully I don't dress like that

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Horizontal Tree posted:

Yeah, but thankfully I don't dress like that

:mad: it's because ur a swag idiot boy, gently caress you

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

honda whisperer posted:

Repost from reddit.

I have to admit I lost it at "sentenced to 14 years weapons lock"

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Alkydere posted:

I have to admit I lost it at "sentenced to 14 years weapons lock"

loving GEMA prevents me from watching this, but I assume it's funny.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

vigorous sodomy posted:

loving GEMA prevents me from watching this, but I assume it's funny.

It's got good parts and meh parts. It's just basically making fun of PS2's new splash screen.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Higby spilled champagne on his keyboard and now Planetside is dead. Thanks a lot Higby! :argh:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Periphery posted:

Higby spilled champagne on his keyboard and now Planetside is dead. Thanks a lot Higby! :argh:

Higby pls, I just ate a boost and tonight was the only time I had all weekend to crack out on video games :smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Periphery posted:

The internet's having it's Annual DDOS Pissing Contest and Sony's services got caught in the line of fire. SOE is looking into it as of around 20 minutes ago.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
IT LIVES! Double XP for all! :toot:

E: Space poors not included.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 24, 2014

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

honda whisperer posted:

Repost from reddit.

This is actually pretty funny. The true story behind the new splash screen.

I laughed when the BoB theme music came on.

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 24, 2014

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Crescendo posted:

This is actually pretty funny. The true story behind the new splash screen.

I laughed when the BoB theme music came on.

I for a kick out of the vanu guy rocking out to some electronica and the TR guy sipping wine while listening to the Russian (maybe original Soviet version) national anthem.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Jiro Kage posted:

I for a kick out of the vanu guy rocking out to some electronica and the TR guy sipping wine while listening to the Russian (maybe original Soviet version) national anthem.

Pretty sure that was supposed to be vodka, comrade :ussr:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Make sure you spend your certs so that after an hour and a half you don't look at your score screen and wonder why you have only made 63 certs when you are going at 140k xp/hr.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Smed says that SOE should be back up, but people on certain internet routing might still have trouble logging in.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Periphery posted:

Make sure you spend your certs so that after an hour and a half you don't look at your score screen and wonder why you have only made 63 certs when you are going at 140k xp/hr.

I had this happen to me 3 times last night :(

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I keep a standing reserve of 2k certs, after that everything is immediately spent so I don't have that problem.

Trouvaille
Dec 24, 2010

Bad job, but it pays well.
My reddit post about "How to make ESFs beginner friendly" has been met with universal praise, except by a member of PREY, who simply responded 'no.'

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm holding at 9500 certs so I'm ready when the Valkerie hits, but 140k-220k (:eyepop: repair/spawn sundy) makes it tricky to maintain. Plus I'm basically just buying ammo upgrades, I already maxed out Triage, poo poo is getting intense.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Evilreaver posted:

I'm holding at 9500 certs so I'm ready when the Valkerie hits, but 140k-220k (:eyepop: repair/spawn sundy) makes it tricky to maintain. Plus I'm basically just buying ammo upgrades, I already maxed out Triage, poo poo is getting intense.
You haven't truly run out of things to cert until you've maxxed ammo bandolier on your engie~

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Desideratus posted:

You haven't truly run out of things to cert until you've maxxed ammo bandolier on your engie~

Or mine guard on your flash.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Remember before the exp buffs, when a pro-tier player would run 20k/hr (and since this was early on Libs and Lolpodders would run 80k)?

Man those days blew

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

So what's up with the VS always winning the events and locking whatever continents the events are for?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

YellerBill posted:

So what's up with the VS always winning the events and locking whatever continents the events are for?

Nobody on the TR cares so they never hit more than like, 15% of the cont pop. The NC is burned out of doing their fighting for them while also fighting them off on their front so we don't care anymore either, and the locks are entirely pointless because most of the time it immediately unlocks as soon as it locks (because of pop), or another alert is going to end 10 minutes later that invalidates that one

Personally I think it's funny that so many previously skilled VS have embraced the "pointless ghost capping" meta and left the rest of their horrible zerg to make the faction look awful everywhere else.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Nobody on the TR cares so they never hit more than like, 15% of the cont pop. The NC is burned out of doing their fighting for them while also fighting them off on their front so we don't care anymore either, and the locks are entirely pointless because most of the time it immediately unlocks as soon as it locks (because of pop), or another alert is going to end 10 minutes later that invalidates that one

Personally I think it's funny that so many previously skilled VS have embraced the "pointless ghost capping" meta and left the rest of their horrible zerg to make the faction look awful everywhere else.

Or maybe VS are sick of fighting on the same continents for almost 2 years and want to play on the new one?

The reason why TR, and NC, don't fight on Hossin is because you can't drive 50 MBTs up to the point and win the base.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xae posted:

Or maybe VS are sick of fighting on the same continents for almost 2 years and want to play on the new one?

The reason why TR, and NC, don't fight on Hossin is because you can't drive 50 MBTs up to the point and win the base.

You still totally can, it's just more viable to use Phoenix launchers. Have you seen what a stealth/AP/Enforcer Vanguard is capable of there? It's obscene, and don't even get me started on Battle Buses

The continent excuse doesn't work anymore. Oftentimes all conts have queues. There are fights wherever you want them to be found on any continent, even at like 2am. If you guys want to claim half of the Indar map unopposed in the name of Glorious Nippon or whatever then okay fine, I'm not here to tell you what to spend your playtime doing. But "hey let's leave this awesome fight to fight against an entrenched, bored 48+ VS with a shitload of PPA Magriders at Rashnu Southern/SNA/whatever!" isn't a common sentiment for a good reason and isn't likely to catch fire.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Trouvaille posted:

My reddit post about "How to make ESFs beginner friendly" has been met with universal praise, except by a member of PREY, who simply responded 'no.'

That's how you know you've done EXACTLY THE RIGHT THING. If the airspergs poo poo themselves in rage, keep doing whatever it is that you're doing because you're doing God's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I don't know if simple disagreement is "making GBS threads themselves in rage." I know it's hard to believe but people do have bad ideas sometimes!

That said I saw the thread about the lead indicator (I assume that was it) and really like it, though I'm still hoping they'll move it to defense slot or even passive maybe. My only worry is making it really good like that would make it the shotgun of air - that is, inhibiting people from actually developing advanced skills needed to dogfight.

• Locked thread