Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

N. Senada posted:

I like that none of them have last names.

Prince Hans has a last name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Drivers in movies should watch where the gently caress they're going rather than look at the person they're talking to. I do know drivers that look away from the road like this, but they're rare and they're also universally awful drivers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Inzombiac posted:

I think Frozen will be pretty well forgotten by most people in ten years until Neo-Tumblr posts some "ONLY KIDS BORN IN THE '10s WILL GET THIS" and they all fall over themselves trying to establish who is the biggest fan despite none of them having seen it in at least five years.

Jesus Christ i hope so. I hate that loving movie and my kid wants to watch it every god damned day.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I was amazed at how much I liked Giel with the Dragon Tattoo and though maybe the sequels will be as good, nope.

Watch the Swedish-language films instead. They're so much more true to the Scandinavian state of mind.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

M.C. McMic posted:

This has probably been mentioned many times already, but I'm so loving sick of cars not starting in order to build tension in movies.

Every time someone is being chased in a movie and hops into a car or onto a motorcycle I cringe and think (sometimes out loud), "for the love of god, please don't have trouble starting the car." Nine times out of ten, the car doesn't loving start until the bad guy is right there. OH poo poo, THAT WAS CLOSE! :jerkbag:

An example that comes to mind immediately is T2, when John Connor first encounters the Terminators and jumps on his bike in the mall parking lot. At least in this film, they showed him tuning the bike earlier, but still... gently caress right the hell off. Can't anyone think of a more creative plot device to allow a bad guy to catch up in a chase scene?

Why sure writers have! You know that thing where they fumble with the keys and then drop the keys and then have to reach really hard for the keys and then fumble for the right key and then are too shaky to put the key in the ignition? That's the other thing!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Celery Face posted:

This is more of a meta thing but it really bugs me how people act like Let It Go is an empowerment song when it's clearly about Elsa deciding to isolate herself from the rest of humanity.
Having never seen the film, that song sounds super like it's about a lesbian coming out.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

theironjef posted:

Why sure writers have! You know that thing where they fumble with the keys and then drop the keys and then have to reach really hard for the keys and then fumble for the right key and then are too shaky to put the key in the ignition? That's the other thing!

I've accidentally put the wrong key in the ignition when perfectly calm because my car is one of those old beasts that uses a separate key for the doors and the ignition, so it stands to reason that a person who is terrified for their life could gently caress that up.

A properly maintained vehicle with gas in the tank shouldn't have trouble starting, though. I think the last car I saw that wouldn't start right away was a shitbox my dad drove like 20 years ago, and that was only on the worst, most bitterly cold days of winter, and even then only sometimes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

A properly maintained vehicle with gas in the tank shouldn't have trouble starting, though. I think the last car I saw that wouldn't start right away was a shitbox my dad drove like 20 years ago, and that was only on the worst, most bitterly cold days of winter, and even then only sometimes.

I have a 20-year-old diesel car. Whenever it's below 10°C you have to wait about ten seconds for the glowplugs to preheat the chamber, and if it's below 0°C you have to do it twice. If I don't do that the engine doesn't start at all, it keeps on cranking trying to start until the battery dies.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Prince Hans has a last name.

That's how you know he's the bad guy.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

theironjef posted:

Well, the human operator is more susceptible to stress-based failure so I'm more comfortable with it.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

theironjef posted:

I want to see a movie where something completely random like the accelerator doesn't work, or maybe it's raining and they sit there trying to turn on the windshield wipers until the killer is right outside their window. Or the lights don't work, so they jump out of the car and get killed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I was amazed at how much I liked Giel with the Dragon Tattoo and though maybe the sequels will be as good, nope.
Instead of more super hacker and somber jorno mystery adventures we get all this bullshit about secret spies and super villains and everyone is related and Lisbeth has been kept down by the system because of secret conspiracies and bullshit thats all wrapped up in the last few minutes all neatly..
The sequels would be better just being their own thing with new characters, I mean their both just one story and there's little to match them with the first.
Nearly four hours of my life I'll never get back.

Unfortunately that's a side effect of Stieg Larsson dying before he could properly finish the series. It was supposed to have two more books to wrap up the story, but he had to rush the ending just so it would have an ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's supposed to be one more completely finished book but it's tied up in legal hell because of a dispute between Larsson's next of kin and the woman he lived with.

They weren't married for safety reasons because Larsson reported on a lot of far right groups but because of that she doesn't get any money from the book series. His next of kin specifically shut her out. She has the only copy of the unpublished book and and she, obviously, doesn't see any reason to hand it over to anyone.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Aug 24, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The books were awful tbf, Lisbeth was the dullest most mary-sue character of all time and if people didn't want to help her they almost always wanted to rape her. That's not a joke, a lot of characters really want to sexually assault her. All the women in the books are also instantly attracted to Blomkvist. Even Lisbeth who is a total social dead end falls for him and sleeps with him very quickly. Then feels spurned when he doesn't want to go out with her. The Fincher film was much better than the source material.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

Having never seen the film, that song sounds super like it's about a lesbian coming out.

It's about a repressed young girl who finally discovers a place where she can let go of what society imposes on her and truly be herself. So... yeah, it kinda is. :v:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

M.C. McMic posted:

An example that comes to mind immediately is T2, when John Connor first encounters the Terminators and jumps on his bike in the mall parking lot. At least in this film, they showed him tuning the bike earlier, but still... gently caress right the hell off. Can't anyone think of a more creative plot device to allow a bad guy to catch up in a chase scene?

I don't know anything about motorbikes, really, but doesn't it at least show him fiddling with the engine as he sees the T-1000? Like he's jiggling the spark plug wire, or adjusting something? That's at least better than just plain old not starting.

PostNouveau posted:

Drivers in movies should watch where the gently caress they're going rather than look at the person they're talking to. I do know drivers that look away from the road like this, but they're rare and they're also universally awful drivers.

In the Tom Cruise movie Knight and Day there's a scene where Tom and Cameron Diaz are escaping in a car, and the entire time, he's looking across the car at her. I was about to say WTF to my friend I was watching it with, when the camera suddenly pans out, and it turns out their sitting in a car on a car carrier truck. I thought it was pretty neat.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

EmmyOk posted:

The books were awful tbf, Lisbeth was the dullest most mary-sue character of all time and if people didn't want to help her they almost always wanted to rape her. That's not a joke, a lot of characters really want to sexually assault her. All the women in the books are also instantly attracted to Blomkvist. Even Lisbeth who is a total social dead end falls for him and sleeps with him very quickly. Then feels spurned when he doesn't want to go out with her. The Fincher film was much better than the source material.

She also solves Fermat's Last Theorem, without any kind of formal education, after reading some textbooks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I forgot about that, an incredibly lazy way to establish that she's a genius. IIRC she even says it was simple to work out in the end.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ActingPower posted:

It's about a repressed young girl who finally discovers a place where she can let go of what society imposes on her and truly be herself. So... yeah, it kinda is. :v:

And in the process damns her society to a torturous death as "herself" explodes from her body and smothers everything.

Then she stabs her sister in the heart.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

And in the process damns her society to a torturous death as "herself" explodes from her body and smothers everything.

Then she stabs her sister in the heart.

Very much like gay people. Fabulous ice princesses all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I forgot about that, an incredibly lazy way to establish that she's a genius. IIRC she even says it was simple to work out in the end.

To be fair, there's an easy way to solve it.

It just also happens to be a logically flawed not-mathematically-valid solution.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Just watched the new Godzilla the other night and god drat do I hate it when action/sci-fi/horror flics waste too much time on pointless character drama. Do they seriously think the audience of a Godzilla movie payed to watch 45 minutes of Bryan Cranston's daddy-drama: Japanese edition?

No please, show me more of this whiny toddler with barely any relation to the plot. Giant monster fights? Who cares about that!

The new Dredd does a good job of avoiding this; no contrived fluff, just a minimal introduction and the action gets underway.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

PostNouveau posted:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Went to see Sin City yesterday and watching the trailers reminded me of how much I hate how loud the volume is in movie theatres. Like uncomfortably loud. I also hate when the dialogue in movies is quieter than everything else in the movie.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Gaunab posted:

Went to see Sin City yesterday and watching the trailers reminded me of how much I hate how loud the volume is in movie theatres. Like uncomfortably loud. I also hate when the dialogue in movies is quieter than everything else in the movie.

I hate this too and it's one reason I rarely go see movies in theaters anymore

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gaunab posted:

It's not the theatre's fault, it's the sound engineers working on the film. The sound levels are adjusted to try and not destroy people's ears during loud points, but the film people mix the levels of explosions too high compared to everything else. Sound engineers are pretty poo poo at their jobs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Silent Hill Revelation 3D is a terrible movie, but that's also relevant to this discussion because the audio balancing in that piece of garbage is but a smaller piece of the same garbage that forms the big garbage ball that it is. Quiet scenes are way too loving quiet, and the loud poo poo is way too loving loud to the point where you can actually hear the audio clipping on the final movie release. It's so bad. Oh my god it's so bad.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's not the theatre's fault, it's the sound engineers working on the film. The sound levels are adjusted to try and not destroy people's ears during loud points, but the film people mix the levels of explosions too high compared to everything else. Sound engineers are pretty poo poo at their jobs.

I loving hate watching movies sometimes, having to adjust the volume constantly from action-packed to dialogue is stupid as dumb butts. I became aware of the 'loudness war' after listening to the Metallica album 'Death Magnetic' - Every track is so loving LOUD, you can hear it distorting and going beyond the peaks and it really detracts from the experience. I mean look at this poo poo for an example:

You win the war when all the levels are solid.

I don't know if this is the same that's going on with movies or if the sound engineers are just lovely at their jobs.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I have to watch most of my movies with TrueVolume turned on to equalize the highs and lows. It bugs me that I'm ruining the original sound, but gently caress it, the original mix is terrible if I have to keep one hand on the remote so I can hear dialog then quickly turn it down so I don't wake up my entire apartment complex.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It can be the theatre too.

I've seen the same movie in 2 different local theatres, and one of them is much worse about that stuff. Every movie I see there is way too loud.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just watched Oculus and it really bothered me that it is established very early in the film that the haunted mirror is capable of "defending itself" when people attempt to destroy it. This is accomplished by distracting the attacker into putting down their weapon and leaving, or altering their perception so that they are striking the wall instead of the mirror itself, etc. Kaylie creates a "fail safe," an anchor on a timer that will swing down and smash into the mirror unless she manually resets the timer every hour or so. At the climax of the movie, her brother releases the anchor, thinking he will smash the mirror and end it, but the mirror has lured Kaylie into standing in front of it. The anchor strikes her and kills her, the mirror is unharmed, and her brother is arrested for murder. Roll credits.

Was the audience just supposed to forget that the mirror can and will protect itself? The ending wasn't shocking enough to be a twist, but there wasn't enough tension maintained for it to be one of those nail-biters that you know is coming. It just bugged me.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

935 posted:

I have to watch most of my movies with TrueVolume turned on to equalize the highs and lows. It bugs me that I'm ruining the original sound, but gently caress it, the original mix is terrible if I have to keep one hand on the remote so I can hear dialog then quickly turn it down so I don't wake up my entire apartment complex.

I already janked the volume on my center speaker all the way up but i still have to activate DRC most of the time. Is it really that hard to mix your loving Sound correctly moviepersons?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

935 posted:

I had to watch pretty much all of Band of Brothers with one hand on the remote. The opening interviews were incredibly quiet so up the volume. Show starts, normalize the volume. Oh, the dialogue is kind of low so up it to say 20. Explosions then occur that are loud as all hell quick quick lower the volume! Oh they're talking again now.

There were a number of times I had to rewind because I couldn't adjust the volume quick enough to hear what people were saying cause I had just lowered the volume due to the obnoxiously loud explosions.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Sometimes I just give up and turn on subtitles.
That's how I watched the Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law Sherlock Holmes movie for instance.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Aleph Null posted:

This is me with all videos anymore. gently caress guessing the right volume

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Aleph Null posted:

That's how I watched the Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law Sherlock Holmes movie for instance.

Every game I play I turn on subtitles, whether it's in english or what. But unless the movie is foreign, I can't stand subtitles on them. Usually because most of them display the dialogue well before it actually happens.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Some cinemas do "autism-friendly" screenings, where they dim the brightness slightly and turn down the volume so it doesn't panic ASD people. There's nothing to stop people who just don't like the noise from going.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rare Collectable posted:

Just watched the new Godzilla the other night and god drat do I hate it when action/sci-fi/horror flics waste too much time on pointless character drama. Do they seriously think the audience of a Godzilla movie payed to watch 45 minutes of Bryan Cranston's daddy-drama: Japanese edition?

No please, show me more of this whiny toddler with barely any relation to the plot. Giant monster fights? Who cares about that!

The new Dredd does a good job of avoiding this; no contrived fluff, just a minimal introduction and the action gets underway.

It's too bad Dredd is the most unintentionally funny movie I've seen in years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's too bad Dredd is the most unintentionally funny movie I've seen in years.

After I've finished shooting you in the face, would you mind explaining how it was unintentionally funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The thing dragging down Judge Dredd was how blandly he says "I am the law." There needs to be an exclamation point at the end of that, damnit!