Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

I know they're only hotdogs, but just look at those things. Ugh.

Quite a few hotdog vendors cut their sausages before cooking. Just... not like a corkscrew. Those look... wet, like he soaked them in something after cooking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

That reminds me, I've seen a bunch of lifehax/household tips to make your own stain remover, window cleaner, weed killer, etc., that specify Dawn dishwashing detergent. Sometimes even "blue" Dawn dishwashing detergent. Just once one specified "dishwashing soap (NOT Dawn)". WTF is up with dawn? We have Dawn here in Canada, but it appears to be identical to all the other brands. Is it made with pixie dust and nightmares or what?

Not really sure what it is about Dawn that makes it different, but it cuts through oil and grease better than most dish soaps readily available at the grocery store. Makes for an effective flea shampoo, too.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Randalor posted:

Quite a few hotdog vendors cut their sausages before cooking. Just... not like a corkscrew. Those look... wet, like he soaked them in something after cooking them.

Also hotdogs (at least everywhere I've ever lived) are sold pre-cooked so cooking them all the way through is not even in the tiniest bit an actual concern. The beginning and end of hot dog cooking is making them edibly warm because they're loving hot dogs. So the whole point of the Lifehack is meaningless.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Aug 24, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kalos posted:

Also hotdogs (at least everywhere I've ever lived) are sold pre-cooked so cooking them all the way through is not even in the tiniest bit an actual concern. The beginning and end of hot dog cooking is making them edibly warm because they're loving hot dogs. So the whole point of the Lifehack is meaningless.

But they look so cool. :downs:

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Tiggum posted:

The spaghetti hotdogs one is obviously incredibly dumb if you're an adult doing this to eat it yourself, but I can see it being a fun thing to do for children.

Ain't no way that the bits of spaghetti inside the hotdog chunks are gonna cook properly. I hope whoever's kid you've managed to trick into your gross apartment likes their spaghetti crunchy.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Whatev posted:

Ain't no way that the bits of spaghetti inside the hotdog chunks are gonna cook properly. I hope whoever's kid you've managed to trick into your gross apartment likes their spaghetti crunchy.

Yeah this. Overlooked, mushy hot dogs with partly cooked spaghetti. What a life hack!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

14.) Store-bought pastry dough can be filled with pretty much anything, then baked.
You can make turnovers or empanadas whenever you want but let's go for nutella and marshmallows today. :barf:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Kalos posted:

Wait wait wait...

Hot dogs aren't just another name for sausages!? :aaaaa:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

The_White_Crane posted:

Wait wait wait...

Hot dogs aren't just another name for sausages!? :aaaaa:

Not to my knowledge. Though even then most recipes and suggestions I know for other sausages include not breaking the skin because that lets them dry out and lose flavor, especially when grilling.

I'm neither a chef nor well-versed in world cultures, so I could be the dumb one here.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm German, it took me ages to understand that Americans (and maybe other people) use "Hot Dog" interchangably with "the sausage usually put into the dish hot dog". For me, a hot dog is a Wiener (the sausage) in bread with condiments. The sausage alone is a Wiener. You wouldn't make a "hot dog" with, say, a Bratwurst. Or a typical Currywurst. A Knacker. A salami. Debreziner. What I'm saying is there are tons of sausage types.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Simply Simon posted:

I'm German, it took me ages to understand that Americans (and maybe other people) use "Hot Dog" interchangably with "the sausage usually put into the dish hot dog". For me, a hot dog is a Wiener (the sausage) in bread with condiments. The sausage alone is a Wiener. You wouldn't make a "hot dog" with, say, a Bratwurst. Or a typical Currywurst. A Knacker. A salami. Debreziner. What I'm saying is there are tons of sausage types.

:respek: fellow German, I have always been confused by the exact same thing.

German Sausage Superiority.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Stottie Kyek posted:

Like threading chunks of hot dog onto raw spaghetti strands before boiling them, heating pizza in a waffle iron and smearing a mango all over the inside of a beer mug.

I make those for kids and they love it.

Make the cheerio aliens again!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fathis Munk posted:

:respek: fellow German, I have always been confused by the exact same thing.

German Sausage Superiority.

Look at Wurstmeister over here all smug about sausage. :rolleyes:

For real though you consider 'hot dog' to be a dish made with a particular type of sausage? In the English-speaking world, a hot dog is the sausage, usually but not always eaten on a bun with toppings and such. Putting a bratwurst on a bun with mustard, while probably tasty, doesn't (to us) make it a hot dog, but you might describe it as eating a bratwurst "like a hot dog".

It is a very specific type of sausage with a smooth, uniform texture, loads of salt, and almost always an artificial casing or no casing at all, although "natural casing" hot dogs are a thing as well. Wiener Würstchen are pretty much that, although it looks like you get natural casing more often in Germany.

Intercultural hot dog education happenin' here.

Also I tried to look up what kind of sausage you would classify hot dogs as on the German Wikipedia (a type of Brühwurst, as it turns out) and I discovered to no surprise at all that y'all motherfuckers have a lot of articles about sausage.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Well, I guess to clear up my words about discount terrible sausage, in the US these (and only these) in this exact size, shape, composition, and horrifying sodium content are hot dogs. Typically on a bun with some combination of mustard, relish, ketchup, and onions that no matter what topping mix you pick someone will very angrily tell you is incorrect.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Wanamingo posted:

Duck's dick dog.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

Whatev posted:

My six year old likes to make these. I haven't eaten one so I can't comment on whether they're perfectly al dente. Not that he cares. When asked if he wants red pasta sauce or ketchup, he always says both.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snorkzilla posted:

My six year old likes to make these. I haven't eaten one so I can't comment on whether they're perfectly al dente. Not that he cares. When asked if he wants red pasta sauce or ketchup, he always says both.

Eat the dog.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Making a taco in a chip packet is the single most stupid thing I've ever read, if it is genuine.

Are you seriously going to walk down the street or drive in your car with a warm foil packet full of salsa, greasy mince, tomato, sour cream, etc? And then what, stick your fingers in the loving thing and scoop it all out?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, at least use a fork you fat piece of poo poo

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

In the English-speaking world, a hot dog is the sausage, usually but not always eaten on a bun with toppings and such.

I'm Australian and this is the first I've heard of it. A hot dog is a sausage inside a bread roll. A sausage without a bread roll is just a sausage.

Lifehack: Assume that the USA is the entirety of the English-speaking world. Post accordingly.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Holy poo poo the sausage derail is happening in another thread.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Pocket Billiards posted:

Making a taco in a chip packet is the single most stupid thing I've ever read, if it is genuine.

Are you seriously going to walk down the street or drive in your car with a warm foil packet full of salsa, greasy mince, tomato, sour cream, etc? And then what, stick your fingers in the loving thing and scoop it all out?

That one's actually a food-cart thing (you eat it with a fork), it's disguising a lovely fast food recipe as a life hack.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Holy poo poo the sausage derail is happening in another thread.

No it's not, shut up, nerd.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm Australian and this is the first I've heard of it. A hot dog is a sausage inside a bread roll. A sausage without a bread roll is just a sausage.

Lifehack: Assume that the USA is the entirety of the English-speaking world. Post accordingly.

There is the distinction here, 'Hot Dog' or 'Frankfurt' for precooked sausage. They're sold as both at Coles, both canned and frozen in vacuum sealed packs.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Have none of you people ever heard of a Frito Boat?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

They actually served these at my middle school cafeteria as an on-the-menu entree once a month.

I've also stayed at Homewood Suites hotels who have had these on the menu for their free weeknight dinner.

:911:

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
LIFE

HACK

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Pocket Billiards posted:

Walking tacos! But yeah you use a fork. They're disgusting.

My elementary school did them too and I couldn't even watch other people eat them, it looked too much like a bag of vomit. I think this type of poo poo is banned from schools now (thank god) but people still make them and get them from food carts. It has to be a nostalgia thing because there's literally 100s of better things you can get from a food truck nowadays.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

Perfect for when you want your meal to resemble a pizzle stick dog treat.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
They look like duck dicks.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Wanamingo posted:

All this corkscrew hotdog chat, and nobody's noticing that they're using regular bread as a hotdog bun.

The worst lifehack of all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Organza Quiz posted:

Where in Australia are you from? Because I've always understood hot dog, frankfurter and saveloy to be synonymous (except that a hot dog in a roll is also just called a hot dog). And I've never heard anyone say "sausage" when they meant a hot dog.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Minarch posted:

All this corkscrew hotdog chat, and nobody's noticing that they're using regular bread as a hotdog bun.

The worst lifehack of all.

I dunno, it kind of looks like two hot dog buns that are touching at the bottom to me.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Alouicious posted:

Have none of you people ever heard of a Frito Boat?

We called them Hay Stack in grade school.

I like the potato one personally. It's just a lazy version of the twice-baked potato.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Trilineatus posted:

Survival Tips for Living Along

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/24-survival-tips-for-living-alone#ngit48

I'm just... I'm just... so alone :saddowns:

I'm imagining someone doing this at a beach. Just spackling on a paint rollers worth of sunscreen.

That'd be a good way to get a lot of freckles if you wanted to for some reason. Unless you used a ton of sunscreen all the little spots you'd miss because of the paint roller texture would turn brown.

Where are you supposed to put the roller afterwards anyway? On your towel, and cover it in greasy sunscreen? On the beach and get a load of sand stuck to it? On a paint tray you've brought to the beach too?

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

I've seen it done at high school football games. I think it's meant for situations like that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

of bees posted:

I've seen it done at high school football games. I think it's meant for situations like that.

I've never seen tacos specifically, but chili and cheese and stuff in a small frito bag is street, fair, sports food, that sort of thing. It's stupid that someone is calling that a "hack" when it's been around forever.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Lifehack: tired of getting greasy meat and condiments all over your hand? Try "sandwiching" them between two slices of bread for easy carrying!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I don't corkscrew, but I do slash my hotdogs before I broil them because it adds extra surface area for searing, same basic concept on the corkscrew though. Tastes good, man.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Organza Quiz posted:

Lifehack: Learn to cope with citizens of a country having knowledge about their own local cuisine.

Hot dogs may have been inspired by German cuisine but they're a wholly American invention, and the way none of the rest of you can quite wrap your heads around the term should serve as proof of that. Hot dog is the specific sausage and putting it on a bun is not thought of as a "dish" because it's an afterthought. None of these gross toddler food recipes say "take the sausage you'd normally use to make a hot dog and stick spaghetti in it," they say "take a hot dog." Because it's the sausage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wanamingo posted:

Oh god, it reminds me of that horribly hosed up goon who sliced his penis in half lengthwise and then posted videos and gifs of himself.

Organza Quiz posted:

I think they're what we (and the rest of the Commonwealth) call saveloys.

You know, I haven't had a "little boy" in years. Feeling quite peckish.