Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We have a whole forum for anime.

It's not so much a subforum as it is a containment vessel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

We have a whole forum for anime.

It's not so much a subforum as it is a containment vessel though.

I feel this way about all the media sub forums. Have you seen what passes for discussion of TV on here? Christ.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

All discussion on SA will eventually devolve into a bunch of lovely idiots pooping on the floor and wiping it around with a dry mop, the media boards are no exception

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Little Blackfly posted:

Have you seen what passes for discussion of cinema on here? Christ.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Little Blackfly posted:

Have you seen what passes for discussion here? Christ.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Trope Bo Bo be be nope, a whomp bam boom.

Every time I think of tropes as a thing, I immediately remember Fallout: Equestria. I remember that giant pile of putrid dung and remember the genesis of hate. Hate of bronies, hate of hack writers, hate of the internet, hate. So much loving hate. Not since Bitcoin has there been a bigger waste of electricity online as TV Tropes, which also has movie and literary tropes, so that is stupid too.

I do not care for it, is what I am saying.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Little Blackfly posted:

Have you seen what passes for discussion of cinema on here? Christ.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
I know there's an anime forum but do they spend their time in there discussing anime or making fun of it and the people who like it? Because the latter is what I'm interested in. :smugdog:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ninjasaurus posted:

I know there's an anime forum but do they spend their time in there discussing anime or making fun of it and the people who like it? Because the latter is what I'm interested in. :smugdog:

I think there's maybe a couple of animes they make fun of but for the most part they just like anime.

One of the few mock threads that ADTRW does have is called "The Irregular At Magic High School: Gary Stu's sister wants to gently caress him". Apparently the series features not only creepy incest but also crazy racism against everyone except the Japanese. What does TvTropes think of it?

"[Crowning Moment of posted:

Awesome"]Tatsuya
His "fight" with the kenjutsu club. He doesn't even throw a punch and still takes down the entire club.
First on-screen use of Decomposition, where he vaporizes a wall that was reinforced against magic.
He invented Flying Magic
Every. Single. Thing. He does. At the Nine Schools Competition. To put this in perspective, his seniors in the army consider that with Tatsuya as the engineer, he's the resident Game Breaker for First High. While holding back his true skills as Silver.
He repeatedly comes up with strategies that help his players win by an absurd margin.
He customizes their CAD's to bring out the maximum potential of each player.
He creates an entirely new magic just for a single match.
Gram Demolition
The unveiling of Restoration
After the competition, he basically single-handily destroys the terrorist cell who was screwing with First High
Material Burst is so awesome it verges on terrifying.

Miyuki
Her scores at the practical test, which are absurdly high by Course 1 standards, disappoint her. She then complains it doesn't fell right without using a CAD programmed by Tatsuya.
Niflheim, which she uses to literally turn more than twenty soldiers into ice. She felt horrible afterwards.
Coctyus, which like Material Burst verges on horrific.

Reviews posted:

One of the Best Light Novels Ever

I have Read many Light Novels but this is the cream of the Crop right here

Story: This is a great story for anyone who Enjoys shonen/Tech Savy/Strategic Tropes. But in many ways, this story even has the potential to be a lot more popular than it already is. It is rare for any story to get overpowered done right but Mahouka does it perfectly. The novel takes a good look at the relationship between the weak and powerful, and it does well to create a world with a complete history. The explanations can get a little bit lengthy, but the complexity behind the magic theory adds a depth of reality to it all. I don't recall another supernatural action setting with such detailed, consistent, plausible explanations for supernatural combat techniques. If you read this for a volume or two, you should be impressed, as well as Intrigued to learn about the various spells and technologies/abilities.

Art : Like the saying goes "A picture speaks of thousand things" the LN's are subjected to 2-3 illustrations of important plot points throughout Volumes, M Kn R does a fantastic job in this department, the Artist has beautifully crafted the imagination of the author and blessed it with a touch of Life, It has a Mix of Shonen(ish)+a bit of Moe added in there...all in all Perfect Character Design that matches well with the tone of the story

Characters: One of The strong point for me in this Novel are it's Varied and Vast Cast of Characters, The MC (Tatsuya) isn't a Social Outcast or Weak as the Title would suggest...he follows his own Established Code mixed in with Mary Stu syndrome and yet ends up flashing the "Anti-Hero" persona, Miyuki his younger Sister suffers from Bro-Complex without any Sexual innuendos but in a more Cutesy fashion...all the Supporting Characters play relevant roles in driving the plot forward and more and more of their Background are revealed as the series progresses.

Overall: 10/10 With each installment my Enjoyment factors keep on rising, this is one of those rare cases that gets better and better with each passing chapters...i have re-read each arcs TWICE and i experience the same outburst of Emotions the 2nd time over...I Recommend this series to all who likes a bit of "Action+(H)Romance+Mystery+ Futuristic World-Building" mixed in to culminate a Masterpiece of it's Genre...

The YMMV page describes it as "Love It Or Hate It", but the tone of the articles and the sheer size of the character page suggests that "Love It" is more popular.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FellOffTheBackOfATruck
Basically recounting every time a character uses this phrase.
-->In Rio, the crate carrying Blu really does fall off the back of a truck, and is found by Linda.
And anytime it literally happens :eng99:
Jeeze this is peak TVTropes here.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Has THIS page been linked yet? Because holy poo poo, that is some next-level racism.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

AmiYumi posted:

Has THIS page been linked yet? Because holy poo poo, that is some next-level racism.

Oh god drat it.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think there's maybe a couple of animes they make fun of but for the most part they just like anime.

One of the few mock threads that ADTRW does have is called "The Irregular At Magic High School: Gary Stu's sister wants to gently caress him". Apparently the series features not only creepy incest but also crazy racism against everyone except the Japanese. What does TvTropes think of it?

The YMMV page describes it as "Love It Or Hate It", but the tone of the articles and the sheer size of the character page suggests that "Love It" is more popular.

Hmmm I see. Nevermind then.

quote:

Incest Is Relative

Tropes relating to incest and its various permutations.

Brother-Sister Incest
Father, I Want to Marry My Brother
Little Sister Heroine
Big Brother Attraction
Not Blood Siblings
Twincest
Cast Incest
Creepy Uncle
Flirty Stepsiblings
Incestuous Casting
Incest Subtext
Incest Yay Shipping
Kissing Cousins
Parental Incest
Like Parent, Like Spouse
Wife Husbandry
Royal Inbreeding
Surprise Incest
Villainous Incest

If that's not incestuous enough, then Screw Yourself. When it's Subtext, rather than Canon, see Incest Subtext, for the shipping, see Incest Yay Shipping.

Goddamnit.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ninjasaurus posted:

Whenever someone makes a thread that isn't 100% sincere appreciation for anime Zorak gasses the thread and bans the OP. Sorry mate.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Do these people not have siblings? I'm pretty sure the Westermarck effect must go through to someone there. Then again I really don't want to think about the idea that they have siblings and are okay with incest.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ninjasaurus posted:

There's this thread, but it's in games. You'd hardly notice that.

Annointed posted:

Do these people not have siblings? I'm pretty sure the Westermarck effect must go through to someone there. Then again I really don't want to think about the idea that they have siblings and are okay with incest.

Some people just won't be attracted to their siblings, period, but people who are separated from their siblings at a young age can end up being attracted to each other later on in life because they weren't raised with them. A lot of incest fiction comes from people who are only childs, and thus not formed that relationship with them that makes incest between siblings appalling.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 23, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
http://bogleech.tumblr.com/post/95528439278/i-think-we-did-it-we-found-the-worst-possible

quote:

I think we did it: we found the worst possible TVtropes summary.

This is an extremely, deliberately exploitative film, nobody in the film acts humane (it is, in fact, rather horrific) and no, TVtropes, it does not take place in a “world of dwarfs.” It is simply a film where we only see little people. Jesus Christ.

Interesting coming from a web-artist who I believe is themselves a troper.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
"A picture speaks of a thousand things" is one of my favorite sayings.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Oh ho ho this is terrific. Thank you so much!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I've seen it happen time and time again whenever these threads think that they've found "one of the good ones", but it still caught me off-guard to hear that horrible, cringey garbage from Martello of all people in the new F Plus episode. :(

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

From the We Win Because You Did Not trope page, under "Real Life (Other)":

quote:

This trope can explain the use of the term "white privilege" (and related privileges like those for men, heterosexuals, tall people, the rich, the middle-aged, etc.) by those who believe that such things exist. When the reason for the terms' usages isn't just plain old bigotry, at any rate.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
There's a new Fplus up, and guess where they've returned to?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I've seen it happen time and time again whenever these threads think that they've found "one of the good ones", but it still caught me off-guard to hear that horrible, cringey garbage from Martello of all people in the new F Plus episode. :(

Martello was a libertarian who scoffed at the idea of anyone having PTSD who wasn't An American Hero. That he hated the pedo-anime he had to evaluate for tvtropes was just common decency and didn't mean he wouldn't be terrible in other ways.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Don't have time for an hour-long podcast. Summary?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Darth Walrus posted:

TVTropes is full of nerds who are gross and bad at writing.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Darth Walrus posted:

TVTropes people continue to treat fiction as some weird thing that is always a good idea (even where it intersects with the concept of sexually active 13-y/olds and steampunk), and a strangely immutable thing that can only be changed with the proper application of tropes. Its less auteur theory than it is autist.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Japanese Politeness

quote:

While not expressly Japanese, the hanar in the Mass Effect series are large jellyfish who believe in politeness before all else.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

tacodaemon posted:

From the We Win Because You Did Not trope page, under "Real Life (Other)":

quote:

This trope can explain the use of the term "white privilege" (and related privileges like those for men, heterosexuals, tall people, the rich, the middle-aged, etc.) by those who believe that such things exist. When the reason for the terms' usages isn't just plain old bigotry, at any rate.

:qq: Won't somebody please think of the MRAs?? :qq:

Thinky Whale posted:

Japanese Politeness

quote:

While not expressly Japanese, the hanar in the Mass Effect series are large jellyfish who believe in politeness before all else.

This gave me one of the biggest laughs I've had so far at something posted on TV Tropes. It's perfect in every way.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Politeness is a stereotypical Japanese trait, therefore anyone or anything that is polite can be inferred to be Japanese. QED.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Darth Walrus posted:

A reader hammering off anime vampire clichés while another screams HELP in the background.

Basically what happens in this thread.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Darth Walrus posted:

GUYS I NEED AN ONOMATOPOEIA FOR FARTING

DOES ANYONE HAVE ONOMATOPOEIA FOR FARTING

REQUIRE ONOMATOPOEIA FOR FARTING

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey everybody. I'm reading "Anime is the Tie that Binds Us" and I can clearly see that it's under a Creative Commons License which means that I'm free to share/distribute it however I like. Except that the Scribd link requires a monthly subscription to download the e-book and the Kindle link is dead. So what's going on? Is there a Google Docs version instead? Or am I misunderstanding what a CC License entails?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey everybody. I'm reading "Anime is the Tie that Binds Us" and I can clearly see that it's under a Creative Commons License which means that I'm free to share/distribute it however I like. Except that the Scribd link requires a monthly subscription to download the e-book and the Kindle link is dead. So what's going on? Is there a Google Docs version instead? Or am I misunderstanding what a CC License entails?
That's just Scribd being Scribd; the license has nothing to do with it.

I tried to find the thing on my computer, but it looks like I only have The Telos of Eros and that stupid vandalized Google document. Maybe someone else can share it?

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Benny the Snake posted:

don't let your mom catch you reading it lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ironically, I also do not have a copy. The account belongs to The Saddest Rhino, a man who grew weary of hatred.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

https://mega.co.nz/#!EIIXHZBS!oI7sBb4-Na9j9r6cqM-6Z8FunlmQT4KGn4rdQ8E2xSM
You're welcome. Keep troping!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Anticheese posted:

TVTropes people continue to treat fiction as some weird thing that is always a good idea (even where it intersects with the concept of sexually active 13-y/olds and steampunk), and a strangely immutable thing that can only be changed with the proper application of tropes. Its less auteur theory than it is autist.

Is this why TV Tropers are so god damned broken to the point of being absolute terrible people (with terrible perspectives) because if it's in fiction then "it's right"? Because if that's true then I am honestly speechless.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Justin Godscock posted:

Is this why TV Tropers are so god damned broken to the point of being absolute terrible people (with terrible perspectives) because if it's in fiction then "it's right"? Because if that's true then I am honestly speechless.

They literally believe that fiction is on some level inherently real. Like when you write a story, you had better not edit that poo poo because however it turned out the first time is the honest true story speaking through you like the freaking astral plane anime boyfriends thread.

This is why in the "share favorite lines from your own work" and similar writing-sharing-oriented threads they think everyone gives a poo poo about really bad overly long one-liners their characters say and that everyone wants to hear the molecular breakdown of their worldbuilding. And why if anyone happens to suggest they change something or, heaven forfend, that something *doesn't make sense as is written in the provided sample*, that person is written off as being mean and noncontributive because how dare anyone question that in this fictional world 1,000 year old love slaves trapped in the bodies of prepubescents is totally just the cultural norm?!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

They literally believe that fiction is on some level inherently real. Like when you write a story, you had better not edit that poo poo because however it turned out the first time is the honest true story speaking through you like the freaking astral plane anime boyfriends thread.

This is why in the "share favorite lines from your own work" and similar writing-sharing-oriented threads they think everyone gives a poo poo about really bad overly long one-liners their characters say and that everyone wants to hear the molecular breakdown of their worldbuilding. And why if anyone happens to suggest they change something or, heaven forfend, that something *doesn't make sense as is written in the provided sample*, that person is written off as being mean and noncontributive because how dare anyone question that in this fictional world 1,000 year old love slaves trapped in the bodies of prepubescents is totally just the cultural norm?!

Wow, it must be ingratiating for them to read about people who edit their works to Asgard and back. It must be something between the death of a childhood and Ragnarok for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Annointed posted:

Wow, it must be ingratiating for them to read about people who edit their works to Asgard and back. It must be something between the death of a childhood and Ragnarok for them.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlipFlopOfGod
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Retcon

• Locked thread