Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Legacy admissions are such bullshit and no one ever seems to call universities out on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Yeah, it spoke volumes to me that my dad is perfectly happy to :qq: about AA and race as a factor in admissions "denying me a place at Cal or UCLA" while not saying a word about how it might have been unfair that I could get the legacy factor for Princeton since dad was a Princeton alum.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Legacy admissions are such bullshit and no one ever seems to call universities out on them.

Because hardly anyone has them. Public universities certainly don't.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Both are wrong, as quotas and set points have long been considered illegal.

Regents of the University of California v. Bakke prohibited quotas, and Gratz v. Bollinger prohibited giving a set number of points by race. Fisher v. University of Texas has also ruled that AA can only take place if the institution can show that they've tried race neutral ways of increasing diversity first.

Okay then, how could there be any AA at all without having numbers in the equation? If the goal is to increase representation of disadvantaged or underrepresented minorities in the class, at some point you have to look at your admitted class and see whether that number or proportion increased to determine success. Unless you are saying those decisions essentially eradicated AA.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

computer parts posted:

I'm guessing that most private universities, who consider alumni donations to be very important, do take legacy into account, and I wouldn't consider private universities "hardly anyone" though I will concede I don't have citations at hand.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

computer parts posted:

This is not true at all. Most elite universities have them, and it is estimated that between 10 and 25% of admissions at ivies are legacy admissions. And regarding public universities, the only time legacy admissions were contested in court involved UNC (Rosenstock v. Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina) and the court ruled legacy admissions constitutional (because the court claimed it was a rational way of increasing alumni giving).

Zwabu posted:

Okay then, how could there be any AA at all without having numbers in the equation? If the goal is to increase representation of disadvantaged or underrepresented minorities in the class, at some point you have to look at your admitted class and see whether that number or proportion increased to determine success. Unless you are saying those decisions essentially eradicated AA.

Not eradicated, but significantly weakened. Universities are not allowed to give systematic preference to a racial or ethnic group, but are allowed to take diversity into account. The truth is that admissions generally involve a sea of nearly identical apllicants, so AA essentially allows them to use race/ethnicity at that point.

Places like ucla have moved towards holistic race blind admissions, and so conservatives are certain there is a conspiracy at play, because the number of minorities admitted is not that different from when AA was allowed in CA.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

joepinetree posted:

This is not true at all. Most elite universities have them, and it is estimated that between 10 and 25% of admissions at ivies are legacy admissions. And regarding public universities, the only time legacy admissions were contested in court involved UNC (Rosenstock v. Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina) and the court ruled legacy admissions constitutional (because the court claimed it was a rational way of increasing alumni giving).

Yeah Ivies are not a large part of the university population (either by number of universities or student population). And just because something is constitutional doesn't mean it's used.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

computer parts posted:

Yeah Ivies are not a large part of the university population (either by number of universities or student population). And just because something is constitutional doesn't mean it's used.

Don't be disingenuous. Giving the example of the ivy league doesn't mean that they are the only ones who do it. About 90% of top tier universities have some sort of legacy preference (see the book Affirmative Action for the Rich: Legacy Preferences in College Admissions), and only about 16 public universities explicitly have done away with legacy admissions that they once had in place.

For people without access to the book:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/college-admissions/should-colleges-stop-legacy-pr.html

http://www.aaup.org/article/largest-affirmative-action-program-american-higher-education

Note that the university I mentioned above, UNC, admits legacy preferences in their own loving website:

http://admissions.unc.edu/information-for-parents/

quote:

I am an alumnus/a of the University. Will this be taken into consideration when my child applies?

Because we maintain close ties with our alumni and value their commitment to the University, we do ask about alumni ties on our application. For non-resident children of alumni (those whose mother, father, step-father, or step-mother attended Carolina), family ties to the University may be used in our final admission decision. Please note that legacy status cannot be derived from siblings, grandparents, or other extended family.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 23, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

joepinetree posted:

Don't be disingenuous. Giving the example of the ivy league doesn't mean that they are the only ones who do it. About 90% of top tier universities have some sort of legacy preference (see the book Affirmative Action for the Rich: Legacy Preferences in College Admissions), and only about 16 public universities explicitly have done away with legacy admissions that they once had in place.

For people without access to the book:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/college-admissions/should-colleges-stop-legacy-pr.html

I'm glad you linked that article, because it mentions my university:

quote:

At Texas A&M, 321 of the legacy admits in 2002 were white, while only 3 were black, and 25 were Hispanic.

For reference, there are 20,000 students that were admitted this year, and based on extrapolation there were at least 10,000 (e: closer to 11,000 with data) admitted in 2002. So it's not any sort of significant number.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 23, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

computer parts posted:

computer parts posted:

For reference, there are 20,000 students that were admitted this year, and based on extrapolation there were at least 10,000 (e: closer to 11,000 with data) admitted in 2002. So it's not any sort of significant number.

I love deadlines goalposts. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Sometimes it's OK to just say, "Huh, I guess I was wrong," instead of making torturous efforts to shift the debate until you can declare victory by exhaustion of the opposition.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Centripetal Horse posted:

I love deadlines goalposts. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Sometimes it's OK to just say, "Huh, I guess I was wrong," instead of making torturous efforts to shift the debate until you can declare victory by exhaustion of the opposition.

I'm not wrong, though. It represents 3% of admissions at my school. A non-legacy based system (CalTech) had 1.5% children of alumni. That's twice the percentage, but still an insignificant amount of people.

And this is before admitting that the trend in public universities has been to eliminate legacy admits for admission, so yes it is a rare occurrence.

Oh and using Caltech as an example is hilarious because they're a very focused university and very costly.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 24, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Is this a Clutch Cargo reboot?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

computer parts posted:

I'm not wrong, though. It represents 3% of admissions at my school. A non-legacy based system (CalTech) had 1.5% children of alumni. That's twice the percentage, but still an insignificant amount of people.

And this is before admitting that the trend in public universities has been to eliminate legacy admits for admission, so yes it is a rare occurrence.

Oh and using Caltech as an example is hilarious because they're a very focused university and very costly.

I will wait till the goalposts stop moving to reply more in depth, but the statement

computer parts posted:

Is absolutely, 100% not true, so yeah, you are wrong. It is specially disingenuous to go through that much information and focus on the "only 3% at Texas A&M!" argument, after reading about 90% of top tier colleges and universities doing it, with some having as many as 25% of incoming students as legacies.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah, it spoke volumes to me that my dad is perfectly happy to :qq: about AA and race as a factor in admissions "denying me a place at Cal or UCLA" while not saying a word about how it might have been unfair that I could get the legacy factor for Princeton since dad was a Princeton alum.

The schadenfreude was great when my paleoconservative uncle was pressing his daughter to put "Hispanic" on her college apps. She is legally Hispanic by heritage/birthplace/language (though visibly Euro, Anglo surname, no real discrimination), but due to daddy's ingrained attitudes she insisted that she didn't need AA to get a scholarship and wanted to be judged on her own merits. Cue uncle gritting his teeth and explaining that since he's the one who has to pay tuition, she will check Hispanic on the forms and namedrop her Latina credentials all over the essay.

That was a glorious turn of the worm.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

For some reason the dad reminds me of Hey Jeffrey.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

joepinetree posted:

Is absolutely, 100% not true, so yeah, you are wrong. It is specially disingenuous to go through that much information and focus on the "only 3% at Texas A&M!" argument, after reading about 90% of top tier colleges and universities doing it, with some having as many as 25% of incoming students as legacies.
UT used to have them unofficially from what I understand, but I don't think they have in a few decades (I'm sure there have been edge cases, but I doubt anything pervasive). I know some people with seven figure donor numbers to the university and heaps of connections who couldn't get their kids in in the last couple of decades. That's what SMU and TCU are for :rimshot:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

She is legally Hispanic

Explain.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

It's the opposite of illegally Hispanic.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

computer parts posted:

As a legacy attendee of a public university, you're wrong.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Probably means something like her mother/grandfather/whatever is hispanic, but the daughter herself looks as white as pure, driven snow and doesn't really have any hispanic cultural background in her upbringing.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mitt Romney's Mexican grandfather.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Probably from Spain.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Does race play a role in admissions at HBCs, or is it just momentum that maintains their ethnic makeup, or are they more diverse and that's why we use the H for "Historically"?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PeterWeller posted:

Does race play a role in admissions at HBCs, or is it just momentum that maintains their ethnic makeup, or are they more diverse and that's why we use the H for "Historically"?

Most/all of them accept non-black students. Some of them are actually majority non-black. I would say momentum at this point - most HBCUs are somewhat obscure state schools, and your average white high school grad is aiming for an elite out of state school, a large state school, a small liberal arts school far away from mom and dad, or local community college. On the contrary, black high school grads are much more likely to be aware of HBCUs and prefer to go there. This is especially true for elite HBCUs like Spelman, Morehouse, or Howard.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 24, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Most HBCUs have been trying like hell to recruit more broadly, specially among Hispanics. The thing is that besides the historical ties to African Americans, most HBCUs also have very explicit missions about serving underprivileged or communities in need. These things together put them at a disadvantage in the prestige game. So the Morehouse School of Medicine, for example, which is one of the best regarded medical schools for primary care, still has a mostly African American student body because not many white students know about it or consider it, or if they do they do not fit the mission of wanting to serve under-served communities. So African American undergrads who know or have ties to it will apply there, but other students will prefer Mercer or similar.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Most/all of them accept non-black students. Some of them are actually majority non-black. I would say momentum at this point - most HBCUs are somewhat obscure state schools, and your average white high school grad is aiming for an elite out of state school, a large state school, a small liberal arts school far away from mom and dad, or local community college. On the contrary, black high school grads are much more likely to be aware of HBCUs and prefer to go there. This is especially true for elite HBCUs like Spelman, Morehouse, or Howard.

joepinetree posted:

Most HBCUs have been trying like hell to recruit more broadly, specially among Hispanics. The thing is that besides the historical ties to African Americans, most HBCUs also have very explicit missions about serving underprivileged or communities in need. These things together put them at a disadvantage in the prestige game. So the Morehouse School of Medicine, for example, which is one of the best regarded medical schools for primary care, still has a mostly African American student body because not many white students know about it or consider it, or if they do they do not fit the mission of wanting to serve under-served communities. So African American undergrads who know or have ties to it will apply there, but other students will prefer Mercer or similar.

Thanks for the info. :)

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

I've got a friend who's pretty much that, her dad's white, her mom's Hispanic. All her brothers and sisters look hispanic, but she's about as white as you can get.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Palin did the Ice Bucket challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Swr-vs9mqo
She challenged Hillary and Mccain

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Palin did the Ice Bucket challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Swr-vs9mqo
She challenged Hillary and Mccain

I laughed for the entire 2 minutes because she is the dumbest person alive but I almost died at the end. She's an awful person but I give her credit for taking the ice water to the dome.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I was watching a debate between Robert Reich, Mark Zandi vs. Art Laffer and Glen Hubbard, and goddamn, Art Laffer has to be one of the worst debaters I've ever seen. He spent the entire time making the most simplistic, childlike arguments for tax cuts. The guy's supposed to be an economist, but I've seen Glenn Beck make more substantial defenses for SSE than this dude did. Considering this is the guy who arguably created the Republican Party of today when it comes to economics, you would think he'd do a little better job when it comes to bullshitting at the very least.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Interweb posted:

So I was watching a debate between Robert Reich, Mark Zandi vs. Art Laffer and Glen Hubbard, and goddamn, Art Laffer has to be one of the worst debaters I've ever seen. He spent the entire time making the most simplistic, childlike arguments for tax cuts. The guy's supposed to be an economist, but I've seen Glenn Beck make more substantial defenses for SSE than this dude did. Considering this is the guy who arguably created the Republican Party of today when it comes to economics, you would think he'd do a little better job when it comes to bullshitting at the very least.

what do you expect from a man whose greatest contribution to the field is drawing a parabola?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I laughed for the entire 2 minutes because she is the dumbest person alive but I almost died at the end. She's an awful person but I give her credit for taking the ice water to the dome.

Surprised she didn't melt, first time she's run from a camera, etc.

Also, are those antlers on her ice bucket?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

loving Fox News

quote:

The White House sent three officials to attend Monday's funeral for Michael Brown in St. Louis -- three more than it sent for former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's funeral last year.

The administration's handling of the Brown funeral already has started to raise comparisons between the two.

For Monday's funeral, the White House sent two officials with the White House Office of Public Engagement as well as Broderick Johnson, chairman of the My Brother's Keeper Task Force.

No White House officials, though, were part of the presidential delegation sent last year to Thatcher's funeral. For that, the White House sent former secretaries of State George Schultz and James Baker III -- as well as the charge d'affaires to the U.K. and the former U.S. ambassador.

At the time, the nature of the delegation stirred controversy in the British media as tabloids claimed British officials felt snubbed that high-level American officials -- including President Obama himself -- were not attending.

The White House countered that Baker and Schultz' attendance were "testimony" to Thatcher's "global stature and reputation." British Prime Minister David Cameron's office also denied claims at the time that the administration had snubbed the late prime minister.

But in the case of Brown, an unarmed black 18-year-old fatally shot by a police officer earlier this month, the Obama administration has devoted considerable resources. Attorney General Eric Holder visited Ferguson, Mo., last week and has dozens of investigators on the ground conducting a federal civil rights probe.

The administration also said that one of the White House officials attending the funeral on Monday had a personal connection.

Marlon Marshall, deputy director of the White House Office of Public Engagement, is a St. Louis native and went to high school with Michael Brown's mother.

The other White House official is Heather Foster, public engagement adviser for the White House Office of Public Engagement.

The White House also came under criticism recently when Obama did not attend the funeral for Maj. Gen. Harold Greene, the highest-ranking U.S. military officer killed in combat since the Vietnam War.

He was killed in a suspected insider attack in Afghanistan. Obama was in Martha's Vineyard during the funeral, but Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno attended.

When Greene's body arrived at Dover Air Force Base days earlier, Odierno and Army Secretary John McHugh reportedly were there for the transfer. While White House officials typically do not attend these transfers, Obama and past U.S. presidents do from time to time. Obama and top Defense officials attended the transfer, for instance, of the remains of 30 U.S. service members killed in Afghanistan in 2011 when their helicopter was shot down.

Meanwhile, the highest-level administration official at the 2010 funeral for border agent Brian Terry was then-Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...itics+-+Text%29

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Hey, they should be glad the White House didn't send people over to the UK to party when she died.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Hey, they should be glad the White House didn't send people over to the UK to party when she died.

God knows that I did.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zeroisanumber posted:

God knows that I did.
"Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" actually charted in the UK the week Thatcher died.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

FMguru posted:

"Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" actually charted in the UK the week Thatcher died.

I find this amusing, if not petty.

Content:

So the Congress is going to vote on overturning Citizen United. What are the odds that they'll succeed?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hahahahahhaha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ding-Dong!_The_Witch_Is_Dead#Death_of_Margaret_Thatcher

It hit #2 in the UK and #1 in Scotland.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Take note that Drudge is complaining that Obama didnt take another taxpayer-funded vacation to Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RadicalR posted:

I find this amusing, if not petty.

Content:

So the Congress is going to vote on overturning Citizen United. What are the odds that they'll succeed?

Hold on, let me do the math...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac